• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dimaline312000

Still Champions

Rate this topic

I know this is kind of a yesterday topic but I'm still having a hard time with the fact that the Wings lost in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals by only one goal. I know we just didn't have it in us this season and for whatever it's worth the Pens were good and did have a bit of good luck on there side. However I feel a lot better knowing that even though we didn't win the Stanley Cup again we are still Champions.

Central Division Champions: I know that isn't a very big Championship but it is an accomplishment and it can be difficult just to achieve something like that. We worked hard for it and were able to get it done again this season. How many do we have total? A great accomplishment that we can look back on and use it to build in the future.

Western Confernce Playoff Champions: This gets a little more recognition seeing as we are the first team in quite a few seasons to have made it past the first round after being the Stanley Cup Champions from the year before. Considering who we had to play just to get to it.

Columbus Blue Jackets- I know the Wings swept them in the first round but after the type of regular season the Wings had agains the Jackets I think that was a huge accomphisment. I still think back to that 6-2 Loss at the Joe in early March that I believe was the wake up call for the Wings. Good series win in 4.

Anaheim Ducks- That was the series that I believe probably is what may have cost the Wings the Cup. 7 Game absolutley Grueling series that was physical and long. Lot's of hard hits and some good plays made. This series really took a toll on the Wings and I have to admit in that Game 7 I didn't like our chances going into OT even though it was at the Joe so I was quite relieved that Cleary was able to put the puck in the net with like 3 minutes left to give the Wings the Win in 7.

Chicago Blackhawks- This series wasn't as long however it was still somewhat physical. After taking the first two games in Detroit I was fairly confident the Wings would handle this team very well. Game 3 I think was the Wings biggest hicup in that series. After firmly take Game 4. Game 5 was held scoreless until late in the third. I think if it wasn't for that shift from Darren Helm in the 3rd the Wings might have had to play one more game in that series. And of course Helm's OT Winner gave the Detroit Red Wings the Western Confernce Championship for the second consecutive season in 5.

So even though we didn't get the Cup we had a great regular season and a good playoff run. It's unfortunate the Wings couldn't pull of that one final push for the Cup but with what they had to deal with I'd say that did real good and just these small Championships are something to build on for next season and the seasons after. Let's Go Detroit Red Wings!!!!!!!!

Central Division and Western Confernce Champions!!!!!!!!

People will say nothing matters but the cup. The season was truly a failure without it. But i like this, it was still a great season, and a very entertaining season. I love this team and i will never stop watching.

People will say nothing matters but the cup. The season was truly a failure without it. But i like this, it was still a great season, and a very entertaining season. I love this team and i will never stop watching.

I'll say it, nothing matters but the Cup, IMO. But this season wasn't a failure in any sense of the word, really, except that we didn't win. It was alot of fun, we accomplished alot of goals, played some great hockey and just fell 2 goals short. Now its time to improve and get what really matters, the Cup.

Edited by ChitownWingsfan

Guest Hatethedrake!
I know this is kind of a yesterday topic but I'm still having a hard time with the fact that the Wings lost in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals by only one goal. I know we just didn't have it in us this season and for whatever it's worth the Pens were good and did have a bit of good luck on there side. However I feel a lot better knowing that even though we didn't win the Stanley Cup again we are still Champions.

Central Division Champions: I know that isn't a very big Championship but it is an accomplishment and it can be difficult just to achieve something like that. We worked hard for it and were able to get it done again this season. How many do we have total? A great accomplishment that we can look back on and use it to build in the future.

Western Confernce Playoff Champions: This gets a little more recognition seeing as we are the first team in quite a few seasons to have made it past the first round after being the Stanley Cup Champions from the year before. Considering who we had to play just to get to it.

Columbus Blue Jackets- I know the Wings swept them in the first round but after the type of regular season the Wings had agains the Jackets I think that was a huge accomphisment. I still think back to that 6-2 Loss at the Joe in early March that I believe was the wake up call for the Wings. Good series win in 4.

Anaheim Ducks- That was the series that I believe probably is what may have cost the Wings the Cup. 7 Game absolutley Grueling series that was physical and long. Lot's of hard hits and some good plays made. This series really took a toll on the Wings and I have to admit in that Game 7 I didn't like our chances going into OT even though it was at the Joe so I was quite relieved that Cleary was able to put the puck in the net with like 3 minutes left to give the Wings the Win in 7.

Chicago Blackhawks- This series wasn't as long however it was still somewhat physical. After taking the first two games in Detroit I was fairly confident the Wings would handle this team very well. Game 3 I think was the Wings biggest hicup in that series. After firmly take Game 4. Game 5 was held scoreless until late in the third. I think if it wasn't for that shift from Darren Helm in the 3rd the Wings might have had to play one more game in that series. And of course Helm's OT Winner gave the Detroit Red Wings the Western Confernce Championship for the second consecutive season in 5.

So even though we didn't get the Cup we had a great regular season and a good playoff run. It's unfortunate the Wings couldn't pull of that one final push for the Cup but with what they had to deal with I'd say that did real good and just these small Championships are something to build on for next season and the seasons after. Let's Go Detroit Red Wings!!!!!!!!

Central Division and Western Confernce Champions!!!!!!!!

I've always believed that a team needs 3 things in order to win a championship. Talent, Health and Luck. The Wings had the talent. They still do. But we did not have the health. Guys like Lidstrom, Rafalski, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Draper and Cleary should not have been playing. Yet they were doing the best they could. It is amazing to me this team almost won the Cup with all these injuries we had. And there is no question the NHL did everything they could do to help the Penguins out. The NHL tried the same thing last year but the Wings were able to overcome it.

Credit the Pens. They raised their level of play and when they did, it was too much for the Wings to handle. In the 4 recent Cup years, the Wings basically dominated the entire finals. This year, they spent more time chasing the Pens than they did initiating scoring chances. I also believe that Bettman moving up the Final by a week had a big impact. If the Wings get that week of rest then that makes a HUGE difference. The main reason I think we lost was the Ducks took too much out of us. Babs and the players said as much. That was the best series of the playoffs. We showed signs of running out of gas against Chicago, but our veteran savvy and experience pulled us through along with the great play of Osgood.

I am very proud of this Wings team for what they accomplished this year. They continue to show me how much guts and heart they have. Osgood really showed my alot. Here is a guy who took all the slings and arrows for his bad play this season and he totally turned it around and became one of our most valuable players. I really wanted us to win the Cup just to see him get the Conn Smythe Trophy.

As Wings fans we have seen pretty much seen everything haven't we? And it really sucks to come within 1 game of winning the Cup again especially after being up 2-0 and 3-2 but we lost. It happens. They tried their best. I know they did. They just did not have enough in the tank to beat a Penguins team that was hungry and not as nervous as they were the year before.

We're all Red Wings fans here and we should all be proud we are. You take the bad with the good. It's all part of being a true fan.

Hopefully next year we get the health and luck to go along with our talent. Just like we did in 2008.

Growing up in Arizona with a local hockey team that never won a playoff series (IF they even reached the playoffs), followed up by living in Colorado with currently the 3rd worst team in the league.... well.. it certainly gives me some perspective. The Wings have been insanely successful for over a decade and the result is fans with very very high expectations and yes, a somewhat spoiled fanbase.

I'm disappointed as hell they lost by one goal in Game 7. But they had an outstanding season, one to be very proud of as a fan of the team.

Nah...I don't buy it. Nice sentiment and I agree the season wasn't a complete failure. But we're not champions. Winning the division, conference are accomplishments for the team but doesn't make them a champion. The wings lost the cup. There can only be one champion. This year that title goes to the Penguins.

That being said, here's to next year! Go Wings!

I've always believed that a team needs 3 things in order to win a championship. Talent, Health and Luck. The Wings had the talent. They still do. But we did not have the health. Guys like Lidstrom, Rafalski, Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Draper and Cleary should not have been playing. Yet they were doing the best they could. It is amazing to me this team almost won the Cup with all these injuries we had. And there is no question the NHL did everything they could do to help the Penguins out. The NHL tried the same thing last year but the Wings were able to overcome it.

Credit the Pens. They raised their level of play and when they did, it was too much for the Wings to handle. In the 4 recent Cup years, the Wings basically dominated the entire finals. This year, they spent more time chasing the Pens than they did initiating scoring chances. I also believe that Bettman moving up the Final by a week had a big impact. If the Wings get that week of rest then that makes a HUGE difference. The main reason I think we lost was the Ducks took too much out of us. Babs and the players said as much. That was the best series of the playoffs. We showed signs of running out of gas against Chicago, but our veteran savvy and experience pulled us through along with the great play of Osgood.

I am very proud of this Wings team for what they accomplished this year. They continue to show me how much guts and heart they have. Osgood really showed my alot. Here is a guy who took all the slings and arrows for his bad play this season and he totally turned it around and became one of our most valuable players. I really wanted us to win the Cup just to see him get the Conn Smythe Trophy.

As Wings fans we have seen pretty much seen everything haven't we? And it really sucks to come within 1 game of winning the Cup again especially after being up 2-0 and 3-2 but we lost. It happens. They tried their best. I know they did. They just did not have enough in the tank to beat a Penguins team that was hungry and not as nervous as they were the year before.

We're all Red Wings fans here and we should all be proud we are. You take the bad with the good. It's all part of being a true fan.

Hopefully next year we get the health and luck to go along with our talent. Just like we did in 2008.

I think what's most reassuring for me is that it's entirely possible for us to bounce back from this next season. It really is something special when your team can remain competitive for the cup year after year, this really is one of if not the most resiliant team in the league. Obviously there's some uncertainty in the roster but that means we can put in some fresh and very talented young guys who will provide some more energy. I'm really excited to see what Helm can do with a full season on the roster.

Edited by Cern

Nah...I don't buy it. Nice sentiment and I agree the season wasn't a complete failure. But we're not champions. Winning the division, conference are accomplishments for the team but doesn't make them a champion. The wings lost the cup. There can only be one champion. This year that title goes to the Penguins.

That being said, here's to next year! Go Wings!

Not to start a huge disagreement with you or anything but I do disagree it a point. I agree that the Pens are the Stanley Cup Champions. However the NHL recognizes the Divisional Winners as Division Champions and the Western Conference is also a Championship, did we not get a Trophy for winning the first 3 rounds of the playoffs. Granted it wasn't the Stanley Cup but we do still get two more Banners up at the Joe for next season and they will both say Champions.

It is however you want to intrepret it as but to me it's still two Championships. You do have to take the good with the bad, and you have to make the most with what you do have and not dwell on what you don't have. We don't have the Cup and that is something that is still hard for me to take seeing as we only lost by one goal. I don't know if it would have made it any easier for me personally if the Pens won Game 7 by the score of 6-1 and made it look like the Wings didn't have a chance.

We didn't have the success we had last year and we are NOT the Stanley Cup Champions this year but in my book we are still Champions.

I agree with the first post. If the lions won thier division we'd be going nuts. If they made it to the super bowl you'd see tons of NFC championship hats.

We just have high expectations.

This thread pretty much sums it up. Look at everything stacked against Detroit this season and look how hard they battled through it all... Wings ended their playoff season with one goal and a bounce short.

But think about this...

Stanley Cup hangover -

They battled through the entire season with targets on their backs -

They were injured beyond belief, no team in the history of NHL could pull off what the Red Wings accomplished -

Wings faced the hardest road to the finals -

Bottom line, what Detroit have battled through could be made into an award winning movie called (not only) "Miracle", but "Amazing!". Red Wings may not have brought home the "physical" prize, but they did prove that they are the almighty championship team for many years to come.

Red Wings legacy will live on by bringing the cup back home 3 more times in 6 years -- while the Penguins legacy will be "where are they now?".

you know...I don't agree that we are champions but I think next season other teams will still get us to play us like we are. We had a target on our back the whole year after winning and I think it'll still be there, even more so then on the penguins regardless of who won because I still feel as though even after losing, Detroit will be regarded as the best team in the league still.

When there's a trend of Cup winners the next year either

a) missing the playoffs.

b) getting KO in the 1st round.

To make it to game 7 of the Cup final is one hell of an accomplishment. They fought until the bitter end, and as a fan you have to be proud of that.

I think this season was about as "successful" as a team could have without winning the Cup.

How many teams can say that they took 4 players from their AHL team and took them to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and can actually point out huge contributions from each of them that not only kept them in certain games, but won a few of them. Seriously, we just gave Helm, Leino, Abdelkader, and Ericsson all the experience and heartbreak they'll need to be foaming at the mouth next season. The future is bright my friends.

Combine this with all the vets we'll have coming back as well as an inevitable Holland miracle or two and its hard to be upset about this season for very long and not be excited for the next.

GO WINGS GO!!!

I agree with all of you. And as much as I hate Malkin and Crosby, I do wanna give the Pens credit for winning, they were the better team in a game that came down to winner gets the cup. We went down to the last second of game 7 defending our championship, how many teams can say that. The Pens will never do what we did in defense of a championship. They will be lucky to be in the playoffs or past the first round next year. Now the target is on their back, night in and night out teams are gonna bring their best. The Wings weathered the storm all season and into the playoffs, there is no way the Pens will do what the Wings did.

Does this mean the Wings get all the commercials this year? Since the Pens won the Cup? :lol:

esteef

This thread pretty much sums it up. Look at everything stacked against Detroit this season and look how hard they battled through it all... Wings ended their playoff season with one goal and a bounce short.

But think about this...

Stanley Cup hangover -

They battled through the entire season with targets on their backs -

They were injured beyond belief, no team in the history of NHL could pull off what the Red Wings accomplished -

Wings faced the hardest road to the finals -

Bottom line, what Detroit have battled through could be made into an award winning movie called (not only) "Miracle", but "Amazing!". Red Wings may not have brought home the "physical" prize, but they did prove that they are the almighty championship team for many years to come.

Red Wings legacy will live on by bringing the cup back home 3 more times in 6 years -- while the Penguins legacy will be "where are they now?".

When there's a trend of Cup winners the next year either

a) missing the playoffs.

b) getting KO in the 1st round.

To make it to game 7 of the Cup final is one hell of an accomplishment. They fought until the bitter end, and as a fan you have to be proud of that.

:thumbup: to all !!!! God Bless our Wings

Still champions? We lost. We aren't anything right now other than the runners-up. We definitely battled as injuries and fatigue worked against us, but can we as a fan base quit trying to find ways to avoid crediting Pittsburgh for beating us? They beat us. It wasn't easy. They deserve the Cup. Next season we take it back.

I think this season was about as "successful" as a team could have without winning the Cup.

How many teams can say that they took 4 players from their AHL team and took them to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals and can actually point out huge contributions from each of them that not only kept them in certain games, but won a few of them. Seriously, we just gave Helm, Leino, Abdelkader, and Ericsson all the experience and heartbreak they'll need to be foaming at the mouth next season. The future is bright my friends.

Combine this with all the vets we'll have coming back as well as an inevitable Holland miracle or two and its hard to be upset about this season for very long and not be excited for the next.

GO WINGS GO!!!

Well said. The Wings future is very bright.