• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rage

Do you trade Flip in order to sign Hossa?

Rate this topic

Trade Flip to keep Hossa?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've seen a lot of back and forth on this and thought it'd make for a good poll question.

I didn't include other intangibles such as Hudler, Sammy, GR guys, Flip's possible replacement, etc. Sorry.

Guest Crymson

Holland will not trade Filppula. He doesn't work that way.

In any event, if Filppula continues to play as he did in the playoffs then he'll be an absolute steal at $3m for the next four seasons.

I wouldn't trade Darren Helm to sign Hossa.

And I want Hossa retained. Centers are just too valuable to move for wingers, even elite ones like Hossa.

Holland will not trade Filppula. He doesn't work that way.

In any event, if Filppula continues to play as he did in the playoffs then he'll be an absolute steal at $3m for the next four seasons.

Why?

Are you saying he would never trade someone the wings drafted? Are we stuck with Kopecky forever then? :ranting:

As of right now, Hossa is on a completely different level than Filppula. He's a 40-50 goal scorer and does a lot more for our second line than Filppula. If we can keep Hossa for $4 mil per year, its the steal of the century and we'd be insane not to do it.

Hossa will likely be retained, but not at the expense of trading Filp. Number 51 is a keeper and is viewed as the "Golden Boy" by the organization, especially by Mike Babcock. I would second that emotion as Filppula will play an improving major role for years to come.

I really don't understand some people's thinking in regards to trading Flip in order to keep Hossa. Flip it is still very young and I think he will be much more important to us in the coming years, reaching the prime of his career. This is not to say that I would enjoy Hossa staying in a Red Wings uniform (for $3.75-4.25 M Cap Hit). Obviously, I know that something has to give, but don't feel like regurgitating any ideas that have not already been talked about on these boards.

Who can replace Flip if we trade him? I'm sorry, but this team was one win away from another championship. I know that the likelihood of something like this occurring again may be slim, but every piece to the puzzle counts for something, with the last piece being the Stanley Cup. If you take one piece and replace it with another, that final piece might just not fit. I know that there are tons of ways to look at this, with everybody pulling their hair out, just looking for something to talk about until July 1, but I just don't see Holland doing anything like this in order to sign a person like Hossa, not if it means causing detriment to a team's make up in the near future or threatening future Cup runs in the long term. If this possibly means we lose Hossa, so be it. Furthermore, what if Zetterberg and Franzen to have every intention of playing until their new deals are completely over? (I know that the likelihood of this is highly unlikely but...) Do we really want to lock up Hossa for ten years and have three (possibly four) 39-40 year old forwards that take up that much cap space? This is why I can't wait for July 1 to come here and be gone already so that everybody can move on and wait for next season.

Oh my god, another trading Filppula thread.. it reminds me the thread:

1. Osgood sucks bomb

2. Datsyuk is a liability in the playoff

These threads have come to the board over this whole season. We are not going to trade Filppula. He is our future. I believe he will perform good next season.

Besides, I never saw the thread 'Kronwall sucks!'. Why do some people make a thread of particular players?

You have to look at it this way:

Hossa at $4m + draft picks >>> Filppula at $3m + Samuelsson

There's just no comparison.

As Hossa's price goes up, you start to have an argument for keeping more of the Hudler/Filppula/Samuelsson group.

I'm not sure where that cutoff is, however.

Edited by egroen

Am I the only one that doesn't think much of Filpula since he's been here? Seriously...the guy disappears for LOOONG stretches in the regular season and doesn't do a ton for us in the playoffs. He always skates the outside with the puck (alot like hossa did in the SCF).

We're paying him what, 3m right now? He scored us 40 pts in the regular season...and 18 goals +9. Big deal. You're paying Franzen 4m a year and he scored 71 pts and 40 goals and was +21.

I do'nt know. Filpula played pretty well in the playoffs for us with 16 pts and a +8, but only 3 goals. in 2008 cup run he has 11 pts with 5 goals and a +7. I guess I'd like to see what he does in the next playoff run...but I just don't know. I voted yes.

Hossa is a better talent and I have to think he would have had a better SCF if it were against any other team other than Pit.

If Hossa comes in at 4-5M, then its Filppula, and theres really no comparison. Hossa is guaranteed to score 70 points in any given season. Filppula, on the other hand, has yet to show that he can break the 60 point mark, especially as a 2nd line center where hes facing better defense and will draw more attention from the opposition given his playoff presence this year.

If Hossa wants more than 5M, then I keep Flip. No reason the Wings need to keep 4 superstars up front on long-term deals., and have 30-32M tied up in 5 players alone.

You have to look at it this way:

Hossa at $4m + draft picks >>> Filppula at $3m + Samuelsson

There's just no comparison.

As Hossa's price goes up, you start to have an argument for keeping more of the Hudler/Filppula/Samuelsson group.

I'm not sure where that cutoff is, however.

This is the key.

Val has been nothing short of beastly these last 2 playoffs. Grinding hard, and chipping in points at very key moments.

Hes also been on the low-end of the checking spectrum. Depth players historically thrive in the playoffs because the key players are so heavily checked. The question is whether or not Filppula can make the transition.

I agree Filppula was great in these playoffs, but he comes up short of producing a lot of the time. Case in point - in the finals, Hossa was blanketed on every shift, while Filppula had much more time and space. What did he do with it? 2 points in 7 games, both goals assisted on by Hossa. It worries me that if Hossa is shut down, Filppula goes with him. If we're banking on Filppula being the 2nd line center, I'd like to see that shutting down his wingers doesn't mean shutting down Filppula, too.

The thing I want to know is the possibility Hossa can make a deal of 4-5 million. I seriously see no way Hossa can stay in the Wings. He is worth at least 6.5 - 7 millon. He can get even more salary from other teams. Besides, we don't have to forget Leino who stated he surely want to be in the Wings next season, not the Griffins.

Besides, I agree with YoungGuns1340, I am not going to stop criticizing Filppula's skill or play performance until he puts up at least 60 points. In this season, he was on the third line. Next year, he is guaranteed to play on the 2nd line and if he still does not play that well next season, I am going to concern deeply.

It makes no sense if this thread talks about Filppula against Hossa.

It is story Filppula, Samuelsson, Hudler, Conklin against one guy called Hossa. Samuelsson should be gone and I see Hudler will be gone too. Leino should stay hee.

The reason I don't want to trade Filppula is because of his skill and talent even though he is a bit over-estimated in this board. We will see next season.

To end, if Holland really makes a deal with Hossa for 4 million, I am going to call him the best GM ever in all professional leagues.

if you had asked me this at the beginning/widway through the season, id have said yes. but now, i would say no. filpulla has grown alot recently, and seems to have taken a few lessons from datsyuk in the department of holding on to the puck. i forget what series it was but he had an amazing sequence of keep away from 3 guys. he just needs to add a little weight and i think he could be alot better.