• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
thegreat66

Longshot but is it possible Penguins could match what Oilers

Rate this topic

or Islanders did as far as a dynasty is concerned. The more I look at this Pens team I think we know that the 4 key pieces are Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Fleury. If we can keep these 4 and mix in some talent at the wings come playoff time I think we will be OK. I think we will keep a role player like Talbot for certain but assume guys such as Guerin and Hall Hill are gone. The youth is the key with this team. Not saying it's probable but I do think it's possible they repeat what Islanders did in early 80s and what Oilers did in mid to late late 80's.

Anything is possible. But is it likely? No.

You could have made that argument about Tampa Bay's core of Lecalvalier, St. Louis, Richards and Boyle. Or Carolina's core of Brind'amour, Staal, Ward, and Williams. Or Anaheim's core of Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, and Giguere. Or even Ottawa's core of Alfredsson, Heatly, Spezza, and Phillips.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

Anything is possible. But is it likely? No.

You could have made that argument about Tampa Bay's core of Lecalvalier, St. Louis, Richards and Boyle. Or Carolina's core of Brind'amour, Staal, Ward, and Williams. Or Anaheim's core of Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, and Giguere. Or even Ottawa's core of Alfredsson, Heatly, Spezza, and Phillips.

Point taken but did any of them have a core this young? Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are barely old enough to drink. Staall is only 20

Certainly this is a hockey forum and we're all entitled to discuss hockey, but out of respect, you might want to wait a bit before you post this kind of content on a fan forum for a team you just beat in game 7 of the SC finals.

We lost, you won. It's over, and congratulations on your title. But save this for somewhere else, and someone who cares, because putting it here is a little more than slightly antagonistic, some might even suggest a deliberate salt in the wounds gesture. :rolleyes:

I didn't come kick the bricks out of your igloo and take a blow torch to it, touting about Detroit's future dynasty potential after the Red Wings beat the Penguins last year. So, please, stop yanking our feathers out and poking us with a stick.

Too much money into too few players. In particular it's meant that Crosby's wingers have been revolving doors the last few years. For whatever reasons you want to list off what the Penguins got this year ended up being the right combo, but just like last offseason the Penguins' roster is in some significant cap trouble, meaning they're probably going to have to start the same process all over again. You can't be a dynasty when the team chemistry is so unstable, and it really dosen't do a heck of a lot to dissuade the notion that Pittsburgh is ultimately a two-trick pony.

Edited by Cern

or Islanders did as far as a dynasty is concerned. The more I look at this Pens team I think we know that the 4 key pieces are Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Fleury. If we can keep these 4 and mix in some talent at the wings come playoff time I think we will be OK. I think we will keep a role player like Talbot for certain but assume guys such as Guerin and Hall Hill are gone. The youth is the key with this team. Not saying it's probable but I do think it's possible they repeat what Islanders did in early 80s and what Oilers did in mid to late late 80's.

Hmmm... Gretzky, Coffey, Messier, Anderson, Fuhr -- all Hall of Fame players in their primes.

Bossy, Trottier, Gillies, Potvin, Smith -- all Hall of Fame Players in their primes.

How many do you think Pittsburgh has right now?

Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are barely old enough to drink. Staall is only 20

The Salary Cap will break up any momentum Pittsburgh gets. Malkin and Crosby take up to much of the Pittsburgh cap. Pittsburgh ownership should have done what Holland did to the Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen contacts, and spread out Crosby's and Malkin's money over a longer period of time.

The Salary Cap and the amount of energy it takes to win one Stanley Cup is what will prevent NHL Dynasties in the future. The 1995-2009 Red Wings are the closet thing we'll see to a Dynasty in the NHL for a long long time.

Certainly this is a hockey forum and we're all entitled to discuss hockey, but out of respect, you might want to wait a bit before you post this kind of content on a fan forum for a team you just beat in game 7 of the SC finals.

We lost, you won. It's over, and congratulations on your title. But save this for somewhere else, and someone who cares, because putting it here is a little more than slightly antagonistic, some might even suggest a deliberate salt in the wounds gesture. :rolleyes:

I didn't come kick the bricks out of your igloo and take a blow torch to it, touting about Detroit's future dynasty potential after the Red Wings beat the Penguins last year. So, please, stop yanking our feathers out and poking us with a stick.

I was thinking the same thing and was going to post something similar. However, I was wondering if this poster is to young and naive to realize what he/she was doing, so I went easy on him/her. Obviously they have no idea how the salary cap works and some of the upcoming problems Pittsburgh will be facing sooner than later.

Sure. When you sign Goligoski for the bargain price of 1.8 mil you know you're on the path to a dynasty.

Don't forget Hal 'The Two Million Dollar Pylon' Gill

I think we will be OK. I think we will keep a role player like Talbot for certain but assume guys such as Guerin and Hall Hill are gone. The youth is the key with this team.

Notice the excessive use of 'We.'

Stupid Pens fan... be happy with one cup, if you have the NHL's Golden Boys on your team you seem to get things given to you on a silver platter, otherwise you wouldn't have won. I am waiting for the day when all of those guys want more money and they start leaving. There is a reason that Mr. I didn't shake Bettman's hand, and this is it. This was the plan all along, starting last year.

Go to your own forums and gloat about having one of the "best teams ever," we don't want to hear it here... especially when it was pretty evident that the whistles were thrown away to benefit Pittsburgh, and the layoff was shortened for the same reason. I won't discount the fact that the Wing's were out hustled, but if the league wouldn't change the rules every five minutes, we wouldn't ba having this conversation. We do not care that you think your "Golden Boy's" are a great team, but let's see them do it consistently for 12-15 years.

You are kidding right. The Pens won 1 cup. It took 7 games and they won because the Wings were the walking wounded. The year before that they got pummeled in the finals.

And you are comparing them to the Oilers and Islanders.

You have completely lost all sense of objectivity.

Give me a break.

win a championship ... and then n conn smyth... and expect that much money lol?

imo i think the twins are holding van back from winning.

fixed.

He is not worth that much in the future, but he did help win a cup...so he was worth the 2mill this year.

You seriously believe that Gill played anything ressembling an active and useful role contribution that dosen't suggest he basically got a free cup ring? That his presence...HELPED?

You guys are REALLY starting to pull at straws for ways to troll us now.

Edited by Cern

Why are these Pens fans STILL here?

This is getting annoying. Go home for Christ's sake.

Subconsciously they're all Wings fans, which is what is keeping them here. They just haven't realized it yet. I mean, why else would they continuously post here.

edit: Seriously why make this thread in a red wings forum? Do you value the opinion of the Red Wings fans that much that you have to ask this here? I do admit we are awesome, but it's like you guys don't know what to do with yourselves now that your favorite team won the cup.

Edited by purebooyah

Subconsciously they're all Wings fans, which is what is keeping them here. They just haven't realized it yet. I mean, why else would they continuously post here.

:thumbup:

I think you're on to something. I haven't been able to figure out, for the life of me, why there was such an influx of Pens fans here.

Edited by MidMichSteve

Guest GordieSid&Ted

ABSOLUTELY, UNEQUIVOCALLY...........NO!

I still think the Pens beating the Wings was one of the biggest upsets I can recall.

I don't think your defensive corps is all that good outside of Oprik. That is the main reason they'll never be a dynasty. My money is that they don't win another Cup anytime soon nor come anywhere near the 4 cups in 11 years the Wings got.

Look at that defense. I still don't know how the f*** we lost to that defense after beating an Anaheim team with Pronger, Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Whitney & Wiz.

Look at the Pittsburgh D

Gonchar = Good offensively but only average at best in his own zone

Eaton = Decent defensively but provides little offense. Just ask yourself how many defenseman in the league you'd rather have over Mark Eaton. Mark who? is more like it..

Letang = Very good offensive instincts but terribly soft in his own zone. He looks to be in the mold of Gonchar, although not yet as good offensively.

Scuderi = Probably played the most insanely good hockey of his career. He can provide a little bit of offense but technically is a stay at home, shot blocking type of defender. A better version of Mark Eaton essentially. On most NHL teams, he's a #4 defenseman. #3 tops.

Goligoski = Looks to be alot like Letang, offensive flair while lacking in his own zone.

Boucher = aging and inury prone with his best days behind him.

Hal Gill = the quintessential stay at home behemoth. I'll admit, I figured he'd be the weakest link for Pitt but he actually played decent. He's still slow and has trouble with the tempo of games but he's huge and causes problems just because of his size. Still, he's a 3rd pairing defenseman who, if he were 6 foot tall probably wouldn't be in the league.

Brooks Orpik = I love this guy. He put up some points this year but lets not kid ourselves. He's not going to be a star quarterback on the power play anytime soon. He's really just another stay at home defenseman. Although he happens to be Pitt's best one and one of the better ones in the league.

How on earth the Pens, with half a roster of no name defenseman, chock full of stay at home style defenseman were able to win the Cup I'll never know.

I see it as a fluke. I see it as the league let the players play in the Finals, they put the whistles away for both teams and Pitt essentially did what every playoff team has done that has beaten the Wings the past 4 years. They collapsed around their goaltender, blocked 800 shots per game and kept their opponents to the outside.

I'll give them credit for playing a fantastic series as a group. But seriously, if one were drafting a team to put together, Orpik is probably the only real desirable defender they have based on age and ability to peform certain roles.

I don't buy the rest of those guys. I don't buy Scuderi like I didn't by Jeff ******* Finger. I don't buy Mark Eaton as ever being more than a 3rd pairing guy. Seriously, the Pens have like 5, 3rd pairing guys.

How the hell did they win the Stanley Cup again?

Oh yeah, Malkin, Crosby, Staal and Fleury and Talbot. No way they can do that again, let alone multiple times over the next few years. I'll gladly lay on the ground and let Pens fans urinate on me if i'm wrong. Believe me, I am not wrong.

I doubt the penguins will hold it together.

The team despite winning a Cup seems to display more than a lack of chemistry, great players with little leadership, and only a reasonable deffensive core.

With all the money being distributed between Crosby and Malkin (and even Fleury) it will be hard to sign Staal when his contract comes up and he gets an avalanche of offers. Crosby won't have permanent line mates since they come and go like the seasons in Pittsburgh.

Some other things worth noting that will stack up against Pittsburgh.

- Continuous media exposure is a bad thing, just ask the Toronto Maple Leafs.

- Crosby despite being a great player is slowly but surely tarnishing himself amongst peers and fans.

- Even though Mario Lemiuex played for the Pens (probably the single most exciting and possibly greatest player ever) the Penguins fan base disapeared after a few great seasons. It will probably happen again.

puleeeeeeeeeeeeease....

ive followed this team closely....

-we were a bunch of overconfident underachievers this year that decided to show up when it suited us...that will change next year

-we lost todd mcllellan and hired brad m, who didnt do a good job, suddenly the leagues best d sucks,....that will also change...

-we were to slight physically this year, and older and got worn down...that will also change....

-we had massive injuries to soo many key players some of which played anyways=rafs, lids, cleary, dats, z, lilja, homer, draper...we cant be that injured next year its impossible, so...injuries will improve next year, so that will change too...

-The scheduling was "cough" very against us, 2 days off before the scf when its suppose to be 3 as agreed by the league, the first back to back games in the scf in over 50 years. i could see one of these happening by themselves but both? This very much hurt det and not pitts...this will change also, buttman cant pull this same s*** twice.....

--->All these things happened and your mighty pens won by 1 goal!!!!!! Do you seriously think with whats written above that your team will beat detroit next year? Welcome to the cold hard truth that every smart pens fan knows. Have fun losing next year, we are the better team and you know it....

Edited by Probie

Winning the cup in the 1980s versus the 2000s is an entirely different situation. The NHL wasn't half as competitive as it is today. The bottom seeds in the playoffs aren't free passes anymore, and there isn't one team that has superior talent over all the rest.