• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
thegreat66

Longshot but is it possible Penguins could match what Oilers

Rate this topic

Strange...these are weird colors for a Penguins forum.

;)

they've been coming out of the woodwork and invading all the RedWings forums since they won ONE measly little cup .. and I shouldn't say "won" they had it basically handed to them by Bettman and his cronies

;)

they've been coming out of the woodwork and invading all the RedWings forums since they won ONE measly little cup .. and I shouldn't say "won" they had it basically handed to them by Bettman and his cronies

Seeking validation. Recognition.

Likely because they know as well as WE do that the Pens got LUCKY to have won the Cup, and that had the Wings been healthy, this Series isn't even close.

;)

well this is one example of why I keep reading this forum,one jaw dropping post after another,this one in the familiar mold of the wings couldn't have lost it they had to have it stolen from them. I think you red wings fans could do your selves some good by reading penguins forums and seeing the other side of the story. It might even help that healing process along.....Sidney Crosby is a decent,respectable person,there's no ratioanl excuse to hate him.

Okay...Seriously Guys,

For everyone bitching about the Pens fans on our board, please stop. The OP asked a fair and decent question. He wasn't trolling, he wasn't trying to stir the pot with outrageous posts, all he did was ask for opinions and try to start a discussion. Let's not chase people out of town just because they're on a different team.

If it was a troll, yes. But I've seen people attack some Pens fans just because they have an opposing view points. As long as they want to have a serious, fair discussion about hockey, what's wrong with that?

Edited by RedFX

well this is one example of why I keep reading this forum,one jaw dropping post after another,this one in the familiar mold of the wings couldn't have lost it they had to have it stolen from them. I think you red wings fans could do your selves some good by reading penguins forums and seeing the other side of the story. It might even help that healing process along.....Sidney Crosby is a decent,respectable person,there's no ratioanl excuse to hate him.

:blink:

:scared:

:angry:

:ranting:

Has he called Lidstrom yet to apologize for the misunderstanding?

Decent? Respectable? No Excuse to Hate him? :lol:

It took a toll like thegreat66 to finally get me to register here

are the pens a good team? Yes

are they a dynasty? no - never will be

I'll give them some credit for out hitting and outhustling a banged up red wing team and playing a bit better in game 6 and 7 although those games could not have been closer.

Take your cup and be happy - I hate to say this but imagine if we had Sid or Malkin playing with the best team in hockey here is the D we'd really be talking dynasty - like 4 or 5 cups in a row.

I'll give them some credit for out hitting and outhustling a banged up red wing team and playing a bit better in game 6 and 7 although those games could not have been closer.

Take your cup and be happy - I hate to say this but imagine if we had Sid or Malkin playing with the best team in hockey here is the D we'd really be talking dynasty - like 4 or 5 cups in a row.

Malkin maybe, but Cindy would never makeit on this team. This is a hard working, blue collar team, points evenly spread out, no egos, no special treatment, no crying women... Sorry, but if Detroit had that lottery fixed for them.....err, I mean were lucky enough to get that #1 pick, Holland would've probably traded it... or drafted Bobby Ryan (of course then that would've meant Anaheim would've taken Crysby, another reason to hate them! I would've liked a shot and Jordan Staal though the next year...

Edited by LeftWinger

If Pens win cup next 3 years you might have to reevaluate tbh. If Sid was a Wing you guys would love him- same with Malkin. Just as I would gladly take Zet or Dats. Honestly think about some of the names that roll off your tongue in this matchup. Zetterberg, Dats, Fraznen , Lidstron- Crosby,Malkin, Staal, Gonchar. Epic series.

If Pens win cup next 3 years you might have to reevaluate tbh. If Sid was a Wing you guys would love him- same with Malkin. Just as I would gladly take Zet or Dats. Honestly think about some of the names that roll off your tongue in this matchup. Zetterberg, Dats, Fraznen , Lidstron- Crosby,Malkin, Staal, Gonchar. Epic series.

LIDSTROM

Gonchar? Seriously? Gonchar? Crysby? 3 point Crysby? Please see the pic post above for the effect Crysby had on us, and how he is perceivd around the NHL... :lol:

It's only Epic to you because Pens won, was it epic for you last season? Doubt it...

EPIC? The only thing Epic about this year is the Epic luck and Epic Bettman rules the Pens had...

Here's a reminder of Master Cindy:

Oh, and the special Bettman Instigating rule for the Pens:

And while we're at it, so much for penalizing players for stick swinging at heads:

Oh, and for all of you that say Talbot's spear on Osgood was a tap, look at the bend in the stick, pretty hard tap...

*If* Pens

*If* Malkin was suspended like the rules clearly state....

*If* refs didn't call that weak call in game 3 against the Wings...

*If* Pens got called for 25 seconds too many men...

*If* Crosby got called for his diving...

*If* Wings weren't so injured...

You wouldn't have posted this thread. Pens barely won the cup against an injured Red Wings team... and Pens got a free pass on the Malkin suspension. Go enjoy your cup, it'll be the last time its sees Pittsburgh for a long, long time.

Edited by Snazzy

*If* Malkin was suspended like the rules clearly state....

*If* refs didn't call that weak call in game 3 against the Wings...

*If* Pens got called for 25 seconds too many men...

*If* Crosby got called for his diving...

*If* Wings weren't so injured...

You wouldn't have posted this thread. Pens barely won the cup against an injured Red Wings team... and Pens got a free pass on the Malkin suspension. Go enjoy your cup, it'll be the last time its sees Pittsburgh for a long, long time.

Don't forgot to add the scheduling...only two days rest before the scf, when the min was stated to be 3 days, and the first back to back games in the scf in fifty some odd years

He would say nothing because he would be too gutless to join a Red Wings forum... since he would have nothing to gloat about.

This poster says Red Wings players are identical to their fans (which is a compliment, actually). But in retrospect, Penguin players are identical to their fans; gutless cowards.

Say whatever you people want about Penguin fans, I'm sorry if some aren't winning with class, but our players are not gutless cowards. They played their hearts out. Sergei Gonchar played the rest of the playoffs with a torn MCL from the knee on knee hit he had with Ovechkin. This was his third appearance in the finals in his career, he is a veteran warrior and I was glad to finally see him raise a Cup. He is anything but the definition of a gutless coward.

Say whatever you people want about Penguin fans, I'm sorry if some aren't winning with class, but our players are not gutless cowards. They played their hearts out. Sergei Gonchar played the rest of the playoffs with a torn MCL from the knee on knee hit he had with Ovechkin. This was his third appearance in the finals in his career, he is a veteran warrior and I was glad to finally see him raise a Cup. He is anything but the definition of a gutless coward.

I'd tend to agree with something like that. Gonchar is one of the few players on Pittsburgh who I can respect, along with Fleury and, up until his comments at the parade, Dan Bylsma. It's often hard to respect, however, a perennial diver and whiner like Crosby; he wasn't voted the number one whiner in the league by the players for nothing. It's also hard to respect Malkin, Kunitz, Talbot, Gill, and others who start scrums after the whistle and resort to cheap-shotting when being badly outplayed and losing like in Game 5. And we're certainly never going to respect Penguins fans who take glee in the economic problems of Detroit (not posters like you and BewarethePenguin) and who have nothing to offer other than rubbing in the win and gushing over Crosby.

I'd tend to agree with something like that. Gonchar is one of the few players on Pittsburgh who I can respect, along with Fleury and, up until his comments at the parade, Dan Bylsma. It's often hard to respect, however, a perennial diver and whiner like Crosby; he wasn't voted the number one whiner in the league by the players for nothing. It's also hard to respect Malkin, Kunitz, Talbot, Gill, and others who start scrums after the whistle and resort to cheap-shotting when being badly outplayed and losing like in Game 5. And we're certainly never going to respect Penguins fans who take glee in the economic problems of Detroit (not posters like you and BewarethePenguin) and who have nothing to offer other than rubbing in the win and gushing over Crosby.

I'm not going to get into debates about any players in specific. I think perceptions of players can change depending on whether or not they are on your team, which is part of being a hockey fan -- and I'm not going to come on here and try to expound the virtues of whatever Penguin players people don't like when the finals have just ended. I just took issue with comments like that, especially considering guys like Gonchar.

Anyway, I'm the last person who would make fun of Detroit's economic problems. I'm self-employed, this recession has really hurt my business and I've decided to close up shop and am trying to look for a job. This year has been truly awful. :(

Edited by Free_Candy

I wouldn't say the pens were a bunch of talent-less scrubs who only won because of a few calls (or missed calls) or a favorable schedule or

1. - we shouldn't act that way and we shouldn't cherry pick (along with screen shots) a few incidents during a long 7 game series and cry like that's why we lost. There were 420 minutes of hockey played and if were the truly dominant team (injuries or no) we had ample chance to prove it. If anything I'd commend the Pens for playing some really gritty D and hanging in there. In the end it was basically a coin flip as to who would take home the cup. I'd also becareful attacking Crosby, say what you want he's 21 - been a scoring champ, youngest to 100 points ever in the NHL, and now CAPTAIN of the Stanley Cup champs. I personally think it makes us look small to constantly berate the young man and I would like to say from everyone here in Detroit it was a great series and I hope a healthy Wings team gets a rematch next year.

puleeeeeeeeeeeeease....

ive followed this team closely....

-we were a bunch of overconfident underachievers this year that decided to show up when it suited us...that will change next year

-we lost todd mcllellan and hired brad m, who didnt do a good job, suddenly the leagues best d sucks,....that will also change...

-we were to slight physically this year, and older and got worn down...that will also change....

-we had massive injuries to soo many key players some of which played anyways=rafs, lids, cleary, dats, z, lilja, homer, draper...we cant be that injured next year its impossible, so...injuries will improve next year, so that will change too...

-The scheduling was "cough" very against us, 2 days off before the scf when its suppose to be 3 as agreed by the league, the first back to back games in the scf in over 50 years. i could see one of these happening by themselves but both? This very much hurt det and not pitts...this will change also, buttman cant pull this same s*** twice.....

--->All these things happened and your mighty pens won by 1 goal!!!!!! Do you seriously think with whats written above that your team will beat detroit next year? Welcome to the cold hard truth that every smart pens fan knows. Have fun losing next year, we are the better team and you know it....

QFT. Marginally more healthy Wings = No Cup for Picksburgh.

Someone stated it before as well, but it's pretty simple why this won't be the Dynasty the fans are looking for. Salary Cap. Too much talent spread around on too many teams. They obviously have talented players but look at how many teams are really just a few decent players away from a serious run at the Cup (Chicago, if they can manage the cap issues - which they probably won't). The Caps have no where near the talent that the Wings do and THEY took the Pens to seven games.

Detroit also benefits from the "team first" culture, stellar scouting and player development, and players more or less playing within their defined roles (the "system"). Put Sammy on another team and see how he does...oh, that's right. He was let go by 5 teams before finding a home in the D.

Edited by hamip1998

Detroit also benefits from the "team first" culture, stellar scouting and player development, and players more or less playing within their defined roles (the "system"). Put Sammy on another team and see how he does...oh, that's right. He was let go by 5 teams before finding a home in the D.

Sharks, Rangers, Panthers, Penguins...and? or are we counting Swedish teams?

Either way, he was listed at #26 of THN's top picks of free agents for the summer. Huds didn't make the top 50. Hossa was #2 after the Sedin Twins (who count as 1 person, I guess). He's our goat here, but he does have some talent.

I think both talent-wise and financial-wise, both Wings and Pens are built for a few more years at the top. Really, I don't see another team right now that can provide a real challenge to Pittsburgh in the east. Washington has talent but no depth. Boston looks promising, but they're still a piece or two away. Same with Philadelphia.

In the West, it looks like a tougher road. Chicago is getting better every year, and in a couple years could be a serious threat. San Jose has disappeared during playoff time, but much like Shanny was in 96-97, they might be one player away from finally getting over that hump (Heatley?). And while they look to be facing a brutal battle with the Cap this offseason, never count out Anaheim. They have a good mix of young up-and-coming stars and veteran leadership. So while the Wings are built to last at the top, they have a much tougher road to get there year after year.

Really? Talent but no depth? And Pittsburg has depth? Pittsburgh has almost no depth.

I think that if Boston hadn't lost that game seven in OT to the Canes, Boston would have been hoisting the cup. IMO that is one of the biggest reasons Pittsburgh won the cup.

1. Detroit's Injuries

2. The ridiculous schedule

3. Malkins non-suspension

4. Boston's game 7 OT loss to Carolina

The hokcey gods were very good to the Pens. I don't expect them to be as blessed next year.

Think of some of the names that were playing injured or not playing becuase of injuries

Lidstrom, Rafalski, Datsyuk, Cleary, Draper, Lilja, Ginchar

Yes, it COULD HAVE BEEN an epic series

Really? Talent but no depth? And Pittsburg has depth? Pittsburgh has almost no depth.

I think that if Boston hadn't lost that game seven in OT to the Canes, Boston would have been hoisting the cup. IMO that is one of the biggest reasons Pittsburgh won the cup.

1. Detroit's Injuries

The hokcey gods were very good to the Pens. I don't expect them to be as blessed next year.

Do you really think Boston can play with the Pens- in the playoffs? Regular season maybe- playoffs I sort of doubt it. Caps will be more of a challenge and call me crazy but I'd take Malkin over Ovechking any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

1. Detroit's Injuries

It was the third and fourth line guys like Kennedy, Talbot, Staal, and Cooke that came through in the clutch and gave the Pens the cup.

Beyond Washington's top line and D-pair, name a guy that's consistently stepped up and provided an extra boost of energy to the team.

Edited by RedFX