• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
thegreat66

Longshot but is it possible Penguins could match what Oilers

Rate this topic

Do you really think Boston can play with the Pens- in the playoffs? Regular season maybe- playoffs I sort of doubt it. Caps will be more of a challenge and call me crazy but I'd take Malkin over Ovechking any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

That's a stretch

Crosby who? Did he play in the SCF? I didn't notice anyone named Crosby on the ice. Oh, wait... is that the guy who fell and flopped like a fish every time a Red Wing player came near him?

call me crazy but I'd take Malkin over Ovechking any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

This is one of the few things in which I agree with you. Generally speaking, centers are more valuable than wingers because they have to be responsible for more space on the ice. Malkin is more than responsible, despite what many Wings fans want to claim. You can call me crazy, but I think Malkin's upside is greater than Sid's.

I hate the Penguins too, but reading to some of the posts in this thread has been embarrasing. We lost the frickin series, making excuses is for losers. Man oh man, I get it, the Pens trolls are very annoying, but they arent even baiting you guys into this stuff, your just using the injuries card and the better team lost. Never true, winners win, losers lose. It wasnt our year, get over it.

To the OP, very slim chance, but who knows in this day and age.

Sharks, Rangers, Panthers, Penguins...and? or are we counting Swedish teams?

Either way, he was listed at #26 of THN's top picks of free agents for the summer. Huds didn't make the top 50. Hossa was #2 after the Sedin Twins (who count as 1 person, I guess). He's our goat here, but he does have some talent.

That's because they were listing UFAs not RFAs.

Do you really think Boston can play with the Pens- in the playoffs? Regular season maybe- playoffs I sort of doubt it. Caps will be more of a challenge and call me crazy but I'd take Malkin over Ovechking any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

Wow. You are crazy :P Ovechkin is the best forward in the NHL, so taking Malkin, the guy who's only arguably the second best (but certainly in the top 5) seem insane. :lol:

That's because they were listing UFAs not RFAs.

I'm going to have to take your word for it because I threw it out already (unless it's the one in my locker at work), but I could have sworn there were RFA's on that list.

I'm probably wrong. You're a pretty reliable source.

Edited by 55fan

Wow. You are crazy :P Ovechkin is the best forward in the NHL, so taking Malkin, the guy who's only arguably the second best (but certainly in the top 5) seem insane. :lol:

I strongly disagree that Ovechkin is best forward in NHL and quite frankly am skeptical that he'll ever lead his team to a Cup.

I strongly disagree that Ovechkin is best forward in NHL and quite frankly am skeptical that he'll ever lead his team to a Cup.

Interesting. He does everything your big two does (aside from faceoffs) but he does it better. He is one of the best hitters of all the forwards in the league. He provides boundless energy. He's an elite skater. He's one of only a handful of players in NHL history to win back to back Harts. He's scored an average of 60 goals over the last two seasons.

The only strike against him is no cup. Big deal- he's 22. Crosby wouldn't have won a cup without Malkin. Period. Crosby was literally as effective as Hossa this year in the finals- both had 3 pts in 7 games. Well that's not fair, Hossa played on the PK and contributed quite a bit defensively.

Who is Ovechkin's Malkin? Semin? Possibly- Semin put up elite numbers this season (>1.3 points per game, led the league in points up until his injury) but was injured for a long period. Semin wasn't his old self when he came back, who knows why.

Put it this way- Ovechkin fought and forced your team to 7 games even though his team was inferior on every single level other than goaltending. The Capitals depth is so shallow a f***in' baby could swim in it without drowning. The Capitals defense makes Hall Gill look like an all-star defensemen. (noting that Green is a joke in his own end, as he showed in your series when he was embarrassed by Crosby and Malkin over and over again)

He's out scored both since his entry into the NHL, he's out trophied both and he's got cooler hair AND a sweet Segway (oh you're totally jealous of his mailman ride, don't lie).

I can understand a Detroit fan arguing that Datsyuk is better- Datsyuk puts up ~100pts a year, is a league leader in face-off percentage AND was voted the leagues best defensive forward two years running. Datsyuk is the most complete player in the game. The argument for him lays in the fact that all three of the guys who outscored him this year are poor defensively (or average depending on the day, noting that Malkin's defensive play in game 7 was impressive- if Malkin works hard, studies and is willing to sacrificing some of his offensive numbers he could become a much more complete player).

In the end I think you're a bit blinded by your team's bitter rivalry with the Caps. That's fine- no matter how good Forsberg was in his prime, he played for the Avalanche, so I thought he was a piece of steaming s*** :lol:

Interesting. He does everything your big two does (aside from faceoffs) but he does it better. He is one of the best hitters of all the forwards in the league. He provides boundless energy. He's an elite skater. He's one of only a handful of players in NHL history to win back to back Harts. He's scored an average of 60 goals over the last two seasons.

The only strike against him is no cup. Big deal- he's 22. Crosby wouldn't have won a cup without Malkin. Period. Crosby was literally as effective as Hossa this year in the finals- both had 3 pts in 7 games. Well that's not fair, Hossa played on the PK and contributed quite a bit defensively.

Who is Ovechkin's Malkin? Semin? Possibly- Semin put up elite numbers this season (>1.3 points per game, led the league in points up until his injury) but was injured for a long period. Semin wasn't his old self when he came back, who knows why.

Put it this way- Ovechkin fought and forced your team to 7 games even though his team was inferior on every single level other than goaltending. The Capitals depth is so shallow a f***in' baby could swim in it without drowning. The Capitals defense makes Hall Gill look like an all-star defensemen. (noting that Green is a joke in his own end, as he showed in your series when he was embarrassed by Crosby and Malkin over and over again)

He's out scored both since his entry into the NHL, he's out trophied both and he's got cooler hair AND a sweet Segway (oh you're totally jealous of his mailman ride, don't lie).

I can understand a Detroit fan arguing that Datsyuk is better- Datsyuk puts up ~100pts a year, is a league leader in face-off percentage AND was voted the leagues best defensive forward two years running. Datsyuk is the most complete player in the game. The argument for him lays in the fact that all three of the guys who outscored him this year are poor defensively (or average depending on the day, noting that Malkin's defensive play in game 7 was impressive- if Malkin works hard, studies and is willing to sacrificing some of his offensive numbers he could become a much more complete player).

In the end I think you're a bit blinded by your team's bitter rivalry with the Caps. That's fine- no matter how good Forsberg was in his prime, he played for the Avalanche, so I thought he was a piece of steaming s*** :lol:

Datsyuk is better than Ovechkin if you are talking in terms of an all around player you can build a team around. No doubt in my mind about that. If you want the best cherrypicker in the league I'd take Ovechkin- not saying he's not a great player but I would take Datsyuk over him any day of the week.

...just curious, but who do you think is the best forward in the NHL?

Anyway, back to reality,of course you'd take Malkin over Ovechkin, he's on your team! And that is what seperates us Wings fans from the pens bandwagoneers. I'd Take Ovechken with Datsyuk over Zetterberg with Datsyuk if I had to choose, and I would 1,000,000 times take Datsyuk with Ovechkin over Malkin/Ovechkin or Crysby/Ovechkin or Malkin/Crysby...

Oh, and as we have said, and as it was proven, Crysby will NEVER LEAD his team to a Cup either. Malkin, Talbot, Scuderi, Orpik & Bettman LEAD that team to a Cup, Crysby just happened to have the C on his shoulder, so they won in spite of him, not because of him. 3 points is leading crap, for pete's sake Hossa outscored Crysby! So, your statement about being skeptical about Ovechkin leading his team to a Cup holds no water, unitl he actually wins one and whether or not he LEAD his team there, or was just a passenger, much like Cindy.

Edited by LeftWinger

Datsyuk is better than Ovechkin if you are talking in terms of an all around player you can build a team around. No doubt in my mind about that. If you want the best cherrypicker in the league I'd take Ovechkin- not saying he's not a great player but I would take Datsyuk over him any day of the week.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Two completely different styles of play in those two players. Ovechkin is the speedy, hardnosed finisher while Datsyuk is the guy who creates/sets up plays.

As far as the knock about not having a cup: He's been in the league for 4 years now. He's on a team that is still building and is still looking for an identity. If Washington puts a solid supporting cast around him, they become an instant contender

Really? Talent but no depth? And Pittsburg has depth? Pittsburgh has almost no depth.

I think that if Boston hadn't lost that game seven in OT to the Canes, Boston would have been hoisting the cup. IMO that is one of the biggest reasons Pittsburgh won the cup.

1. Detroit's Injuries

2. The ridiculous schedule

3. Malkins non-suspension

4. Boston's game 7 OT loss to Carolina

The hokcey gods were very good to the Pens. I don't expect them to be as blessed next year.

Your right about that, but neither will Detroit for years to come with what they've locked into with their stupid longterm deals.

Your right about that, but neither will Detroit for years to come with what they've locked into with their stupid longterm deals.

Not quite, they only have two long term deals like that, Franz and Z, but Z's is only worth 6.08 and Franzens 3.95, thats not that much money. Datsyuks is up in few years. With these long contracts, they are not overpaid, and if they retire, their cap hit doesnt count when they get old. Now look at Crosby and Malkin, 8.7 each. You can almost get three Zetterbergs for the price of two of them, seriously. Thats why we have more depth then you. 3.5 for Satan? LOL. You have to be desperate. 18.3 Million for 3 Zetts, and 17.4 for Crosby and Malkin. Id take three Z's vs those two, and thats how you spell depth. I bet when Datsyuk's contract is up he will sign the same deal as Z to save money. For a quick 4 player comparison of what that extra cash can get you.... We could have Datsyuk(when he signs his new deal), Zetterburg (thats about 12M) and Franzen(about 16M), and a 2.6 Million dollar player(18.6M) vs Crosby, Malkin and two 500k scrubs(totals 18.4M). Thats how you spell depth.

That being said, Malkin and Crosby are obviously great players, but they are signed at market value. Our guys sign for less which is why we have more depth. We will settle this argument on the ice next year. Our team won't be as banged up as last year, and we will be alot better.

Edited by Probie

Not quite, they only have two long term deals like that, Franz and Z, but Z's is only worth 6.08 and Franzens 3.95, thats not that much money. Datsyuks is up in few years. With these long contracts, they are not overpaid, and if they retire, their cap hit doesnt count when they get old. Now look at Crosby and Malkin, 8.7 each. You can almost get three Zetterbergs for the price of two of them, seriously. Thats why we have more depth then you. 3.75 for Satan? LOL. You have to be desperate. 18.3 Million for 3 Zetts, and 17.4 for Crosby and Malkin. Id take three Z's vs two those two, and thats how you spell depth. I bet Datsyuk would sign the same deal as Z to save money. For a quick 4 player comparison of what that extra cash can get you.... We could have Datsyuk(when he signs his new deal), Zetterburg (thats about 12M) and Franzen(about 16M), and a 2.6 Million dollar player(18.6M) vs Crosby Malkin and two 500k scrubs(totals 18.6M). Thats how you spell depth.

That being said, Malkin and Crosby are obviously great players, but they are signed at market value. Our guys sign for less which is why we have more depth. We will settle this argument on the ice next year. Our team won't be as banged up as last year, and we will be alot better.

:thumbup:

nuke.jpg

Boomer's Arguement after Probie's Rebuttal

That's the best you could do? Really? WAaaaa wWaaaaaa injuries this injuries that! Haha are you serious man? The Caps Bruins and Flyers will never beat the penguins. Sorry. We are becoming a dynasty. Zetterberg Hossa Franzen Fillpula Holmstrom etc etc werent enough? Those guys right there should have been enough to beat us. It's annoying you blame it on injuries. haha what i think it even more hilarious is the Red Wings players are identical to their fans...

Ie: When they beat the pens those 3 games... Babcock said..."no we are healthy, no injuries"

When they lose....Babcock says..." we ran out of gas and had lots of injuries"

Lol....who's a bigger joke... the Red Wings.... or their fans?

Nice handle buddy...go troll somewhere else....really

Certainly this is a hockey forum and we're all entitled to discuss hockey, but out of respect, you might want to wait a bit before you post this kind of content on a fan forum for a team you just beat in game 7 of the SC finals.

We lost, you won. It's over, and congratulations on your title. But save this for somewhere else, and someone who cares, because putting it here is a little more than slightly antagonistic, some might even suggest a deliberate salt in the wounds gesture. :rolleyes:

I didn't come kick the bricks out of your igloo and take a blow torch to it, touting about Detroit's future dynasty potential after the Red Wings beat the Penguins last year. So, please, stop yanking our feathers out and poking us with a stick.

Well this post just takes the cake. :clap: