• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown12

NHL Awards Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

I think the real distinction is that Datsyuk would be a league wide MVP, but not necessarily the guy who provided the single greatest contribution to his team. Datsyuk has too many good players around him. Ovi is swimming in a sea of mediocrity. I understand where Puckloo is coming from- scoring 97pts AND being the best defensive player in the league is pretty f***in' impressive.

The problem is that Ovechkin is the Capitals AND he's the best player in the league (and hey, he averaged 60 goals a season over the last two). Ovi definitely deserves his haul tonight.

If there's a carpenter in the Washington area that's reading this give Ovi a call, I heard he needs a bigger trophy case.

Without a doubt; put Pavel on a team like the Caps without AO, and you'd see him picking up the hardware too.

But that's what the Hart is. It's a MVP, as in most valuable player for their team. That's AO without a single shred of doubt, especially when you look at the teams around Malkin and Pav.

Guest mindfly

Wow, datsyuk almost lost the selke

"Datsyuk, considered one of the best two-way forwards in the league, won the awards tonight. He beat out finalists Ryan Kesler of Vancouver and Philadelphia’s Mike Richards for the Selke. Datsyuk edged Richards, 945-942, into total votes, but Richards received more first-place ballots."

"

I don't like that the Hart and Pearson are attached by the hip. I feel like more often than not they should go to different players.

Malkin or Datsyuk deserved the Pearson, Ovie the Hart.

Well, they're both awarded to the MVP, it's just who votes on it that's the difference. ;)

In the last 10 years, there have been 4 times that the players and media didn't agree and the Hart and Pearson were awarded to different players.

Chara was handed a "we're bored with you Nick, so we're going to give it to someone else the second you look human" Norris.

Chara was awarded this because Nick stumbled a bit in the opening months, and Chara was literally annointed in November because of it.

Damnit. Since the All-Star break Chara has sucked ass with Lidstrom improving every single month.

On his best days Chara might actually get within sniffing distance of Lidstrom defensively, but Nick obviously beat him offensively.

That really pisses me off.

Edited by egroen

Seeing how well Pavs did tonight helped cheer me up a tad, I'll feel better when my dad's back home though. I hoped he would win the Pearson at least, but he's the wrong Russian.

I wanted Nick to win another Norris trophy, but there's always next season. :)

my predictions:

Hart Memorial Trophy

Alex Ovechkin

Vezina Trophy

Tim Thomas

James Norris Memorial Trophy

Zdeno Chara

Calder Memorial Trophy

Steve Mason

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy

Pavel Datsyuk

Frank J. Selke Trophy

Pavel Datsyuk

Jack Adams Award

Claude Julien

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy

Steve Sullivan

Lester B. Pearson Award

Alex Ovechkin

:cool:

But then again, it wasn't very difficult to call this year :P

I don't remember everyone congratulating the Wings last year.

I do.

Edited by T-Ruff

I can't ******* believe Lidstrom was third for the Norris and not even a god damn 1st Team All Star.

He has been absolutely robbed in awards so often it sickens me.

That is such bulls***.

Guest Four
I can't ******* believe Lidstrom was third for the Norris and not even a god damn 1st Team All Star.

He has been absolutely robbed in awards so often it sickens me.

That is such bulls***.

He'll get another 2 or 3 before he retires, don't worry.

Without a doubt; put Pavel on a team like the Caps without AO, and you'd see him picking up the hardware too.

But that's what the Hart is. It's a MVP, as in most valuable player for their team. That's AO without a single shred of doubt, especially when you look at the teams around Malkin and Pav.

Oh I completely agree man- I love watching Ovechkin play- he's a f***in' force of nature.

I don't like that the Hart and Pearson are attached by the hip. I feel like more often than not they should go to different players.

Malkin or Datsyuk deserved the Pearson, Ovie the Hart.

The thing is- the players vote for the Pearson and the hockey media votes for the Hart, so you can't really complain when they go to the same guy- it's not a matter of agenda, it's just that both groups agreed independently on the same answer.

mike green deserved the norris this year, nick was only nominated because of his name..

Lol...

Defensemen, are absolutely useless to their teams when they miss games... when playing, even when they are not scoring points, they are providing a large benefit to their team through defense. The last defenseman to win the Norris with as many games missed as Green this year was Bobby Orr.

When Coffey was winning Norrisses largely because of his offensive play:

Goal margin in '85: 32% over #2; point margin of 41% and ranked 5th in points of all players in the NHL

Goal margin in '86: 100% over #2: point margin of 68% and 3rd overall

Goal margin in '95: 7% over #2: point margin of 35% and 6th overall

Green goal margin this year: 35% over #2; point margin of 14% and 28th in overall scoring.

Not even comparable. The Norris was a joke this year.

Edited by egroen

mike green deserved the norris this year, nick was only nominated because of his name..

Oh yeah man- when you're 6th on your team in defensive PK mins/game and 3rd in the league in give aways (2nd among defensemen) you definitely deserve the award for "best all-around defenseman" (NHL's words, not mine). What's that? You score lots of goals? Cool, well you do play all 2 mins of every PP your team gets along side Ovechkin (Green's PP time per game is almost triple that of the next d-man on his team, he literally plays nearly the entire PP time awarded to the Caps in an average game), so I'd expect you to do something with all the f***in' pinching in and constant time spent playing offense instead of watching your own end. I mean when you take that many risks you better get a good pay off. And he does- he's a very good hockey player. But he's a piss poor "all-around defenseman".

Nice try. :thumbup:

Edit:

You do realize that in a Sports Illustrated poll of NHL PLAYERS this year Lidstrom was voted the best defenseman by a wide margin, right?

And you did notice that Lidstrom was putting a point a game up in the playoffs before his scrotum was torn open, right?

I guess disappearing Mike was helpful to the Caps, though. Hey! Green is a magician with the puck! He can make himself disappear!

Edited by Drake_Marcus

good lord more trolls. Get a life. Nick deserved to be nominated. Chara did too and deserved to win. Green was fortunate to get nominated didn't win. Maybe when he learns to combine some defense with his offense he'll get the nod...

Oh and one more thing. I am f*ing sick of seeing Babcock getting screwed out of the coach of the year. What does he got to do to win that damn thing? Didn't he break some sort of NHL record for the first four seasons as a coach?

The voting for the Jack Adams is almost always retarded.

Did you know Don Cherry has only one less Jack Adams Trophy than the greatest hockey coach ever, Scotty Bowman?

(Bowman only won two)

Edited by egroen

The voting for the Jack Adams is almost always retarded.

Did you know Don Cherry has only one less Jack Adams Trophy than the greatest hockey coach ever, Scotty Bowman?

(Bowman only won two)

According to Jack Adams awards won, Jacques Demers = Scott Bowman.

Julien is a toolbox. How Babs or Todd McLellan don't win that trophy is shameful.

I also have a completely irrational dislike of most of the Vezina winners as well. Unless they give it to Hasek or Brodeur, it's usually given to a complete putz who gets lucky for a year and three years later they're out of the league. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, TIM THOMAS!

For the most part, I was okay with the way the awards went. I feel bad that Nick and Cheli didn't win, and that Pasha was pretty well shut out of the MVP voting. But I think his acceptance speeches were well done. He made a point to share the awards with his teammates, the organization, and even the fans and the city of Detroit. He was gracious and spoke clearly and very well. I loved that when they went to announce the Hart, someone in the audience yelled "Pavel!" Had I been there it probably would have been me yelling that.

I'm proud of Pasha...well done, kiddo.

Just watched the award show via DVR. I found it hilarious that almost everyone at the podium (although many seeming reluctantly) had to say congrats to the Pens. Seemed very forced on many occasions as if someone was holding a gun to the player's heads. Do they really have to remind everyone who won the cup...I thought getting their name on it was enough.

I thought it was very fitting to award the Messier Leadership Award to Iginla. What a class act. I couldn't believe that Messier even considered Crosby in the same class. I've always thought that it takes some tenure and consistent performance or a couple of really amazing actions to display truly outstanding leadership and I didn't see either from Sid.

Too bad for Lids. If they could consider the playoffs he would have to get the Norris on principle (anyone who plays with a ruptured ******** gets an award from me!!!). Chara definitely deserves his moment after being the bridesmaid for the past couple of years.