• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

What do you think wings will pick with their 29th overall?

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Jim Nill has stated several times that this upcoming draft is very deep, much like the 2003 draft and some really skilled players could be overlooked and left for that 29th spot which detroit has... He also stated that there's a 50/50 chance the first round will be used for a defenseman, the other 50 is probably forward because they used their last 1st rounder for a goalie.

Is it perhaps wishful thinking that a Zack Kassian or Oliver Ekman-Larsson will be left for the 29th?

Will they pick a pretty solid but small defender in Calvin de Haan? Or a Smart player like Ethan Werek?

Swedish connection Marcus Johansson or Carl Klingberg? Or maybe a third finn Joonas Nattinen?

I think probably some of them....

They can't go for another goalie can they? there's this dude called Roy and some suggested detroit could use another 1st rounder for a goalie, sounds unlikely to me?

Your thoughts?

Is it perhaps wishful thinking that a Zack Kassian or Oliver Ekman-Larsson will be left for the 29th?

Nah. People use their 1st picks to pick the worst players. All the future stars will still be there.

Nah. People use their 1st picks to pick the worst players. All the future stars will still be there.

Don't joke.

Jim Nill did say that the top 12 were basically locked in and 13 - 35 could are a toss-up.

Any player outside of the top 12 could go in any order.

So trade a performer now for someone who might be in 5 years?

Hudler's RFA, and if we sign Hossa, Huds is out of Hockeytown. If he gets a decent offer sheet, he just might net us Kassian.

As much as I don't want to lose Huds, he is the one we can let go and get a return on.

Edited by 55fan

We are really needing another power forward with holmstrom coming up to the end of his career and he seems to just be getting to battered to do what he used to effectively anymore. We need that young guy who can eventually step in on the 1st line and PP for screens, tip ins, deflections etc. IT'd be nice to have one like franzen who can also move the puck well and just power his way to the net if need be.

I really want someone who uses their size a bit.

I'd be ecstatic with Kassian, but as has been mentioned, it's pretty unlikely.

Slightly more likely would be Drew Shore, who's a similar type of player that I'd love to have. He'd have to drop a bit too though.

More realistically?

The guy TSN had us taking in the mock draft, Ethan Werek, sounds like a good choice. The typical good puck skills thing but he's got a decently big frame (6-2) and according to TSN:

Werek posted four game winning goals and four first goals this season, showing he can produce in the clutch.

Werek is not afraid to mix it up and he looks like he thrives when the games get ugly.

Guest mindfly
after some research about the current draft I think Toni Rajala would be excellent option at 29th.

Joonas Nattinen is better option.

Tim Erixson from Sweden would be a nice fit for the Wings style of defenseman (smart, offensive-minded) and a lot of drafts have him falling near our #29. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go a little earlier than that, though.

Since the question was "What?" not "Whom?" my answer is: I think the Wings will pick a hockey player!

Seriously though, I am impressed with the knowledge demonstrated by the previous posters, salute your perspicacity, and look forward to seeing how many of you called it correctly.

Guest mindfly
Since the question was "What?" not "Whom?" my answer is: I think the Wings will pick a hockey player!

Seriously though, I am impressed with the knowledge demonstrated by the previous posters, salute your perspicacity, and look forward to seeing how many of you called it correctly.

What = position... it's suppose to be what/whom but i couldnt edit it.. don't mark the words you nutcase.

The Wings should pick a defenseman whose best strengths are his puck skills, good size, and skating.

Defensive play can be taught, especially in such a strong system as Detroit has. A player with good puck skills who is a good skater can be developed into the right kind of playmaker for his team. The only thing that can't be developed is size.

Looking at draft rankings and seeing where defensemen rank, I would hope for Stefan Elliott as he seems to fit those conditions best of defensemen who might actually be available at 29.

I'm hoping that regardless of whether it's a dman or forward we get a right hander. A lot of the lower 10 first round projected players are righties. :)

The Wings have so few right handers in the system it's scary.

Guest mindfly
I have to agree with mindfly about Nattinen...

For sure, Nattinen is a right winger (right handed), bigger frame 6'2 instead of 5'10 and with similar SM-Liiga experience...

after some research about the current draft I think Toni Rajala would be excellent option at 29th.

Rajala is impressive, but he projects as Hudler, at best, which is someone we've already got and who is still young.

Rajala is impressive, but he projects as Hudler, at best, which is someone we've already got and who is still young.
Rajala is weak in terms of strength to the point where its suprising. I'm 5'8.5" and about 15 pounds heavier, and i can bench 150 pounds 15 times in one sitting, and usually do around 3 sets of 12 reps. All he could do is 4 reps in one sitting, or maybe not even:

http://thehockeywriters.com/29-toni-rajala...draft-rankings/

Thats not good, I'm not bad with the weights, but I dont work out that much and I'm no nhl athlete.

I read somewhere his doctor did some test and checked his potential bone growth, and he should be just under 5'11", which isnt too bad. Lets hope his physical strenght is just the case of him being more of a boy at this point and he matures a lot.