• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
theman19

spectors hockey wings stuff

Rate this topic

It doesn't say why the offer was rejected. It could have been that Sammy wanted to see a longer term, or wait to see who else is reupping their contracts.

Yeah, I don't see why anyone would want "out" of Detroit. He knows he wouldn't be a star on another team, unless he's sick of being the scapegoat among the fans, haha.

It looked to me like that article was all speculation with the exception of possibly Sammy turning down an offer by the Wings. It has been stated many times that Hossa wants to stay in Detroit and he does want a long term deal. The key is going to be if he is willing to take less money for a long-term deal in Detroit.

I still firmly believe that Chelly is done in Detroit. I like Chelly but he has become a part-time Defenseman this season and the Wings do not need one of those. If the cap allows it and the Wings really want him back than maybe he can come back as just if someone gets injured or something. I want Chelly to retire a Wing but that is going to depend on a lot.

Sammy to me probably does want out of Detroit. I don't see him being a huge star anywhere esle either however he may play a bigger role with another team that just needs to fill and offensive hole. I have to imagine we will hear something about what is going on before or during the Draft. If the Wings are looking to make a deal for some draft picks for this years draft I would think they need to get something done soon.

I think he at least wants to test the market. Lets say Kenny offered him 3 yrs, $5M. Surely he would at least want to see if someone would offer him more. He's not earned a huge amount (comparitively) over the course of his career, this is his one chance to land a big contract. If someone out there wants to offer him 4yrs, $9M he'll probly take it. He's won a cup, he's not trying to cement a HOF legacy, he's not a Redwing "lifer" so his reasons to stay are not as strong as for others.

But who knows with Sammy, from interviews he's always come across as "different" from other hockey players.

Rejecting offers is a part of negotiation process. It is not like we have a GM stating something like "you accept this or you're out". We are different than the rest of NHL and this is the reason we are always successful.

to me it sounds like Sammy is chasing the dollar. He's been the guy who's "a good deal" now he might want market value. For years on this site he's been "the best option at his price" What if he price is a million more than what he makes now? Is he still the best option wings fans?

This is common with negotiations. Zetterberg rejected at least 3 offers from Holland and he never wanted to leave.

This.

On a more serious note, it looks like all the hockey insiders are shifting from "Hossa is all but garenteed to remain a Wing" to "Hossa is almost certain to leave the Wings". That shift started this weekend and is coming on strong.

Either Hossa's making it known he wants more than a Franzen deal (something a few sources have been quoted as saying the Wings are offering Hossa), or he really won't sign for anything less than Zetterberg's deal.

Obviously he's not going to get Zetterberg's deal, no freaking chance.

So that leaves the following possibility:

Lidstrom-Bouwmeester

Rafalski-Kronwall

Ericsson-Stuart

With Bouwmeester signing a long term, front loaded contract for somewhere around 4.5-5 million a season.

Part of the selling point to Bouw, aside from getting to play on a perpetual contender (and this is where his time on the Panthers helps us), is that he'll get to pair up with Lidstrom. Now he's a left hand shot, so that's going to be a strike against him in that department, BUT when Lidstrom retires we'll have Rafalski (right hander) paired up with another lefty (a possition Kronwall likely expected he'd have).

As it stands now Bouwmeester is the type of strong positional player with high end defense AND offense we need to replace Lidstrom 5-10 years from now. Kronwall is proving that he's an offensive stud but only average defensively. Ericsson could get there, he's known for being defensively strong AND having great offensive numbers (when his wrist is healthy, although his defensive numbers were pretty decent in the playoffs given that he saw zero PP time).

This.

On a more serious note, it looks like all the hockey insiders are shifting from "Hossa is all but garenteed to remain a Wing" to "Hossa is almost certain to leave the Wings". That shift started this weekend and is coming on strong.

Either Hossa's making it known he wants more than a Franzen deal (something a few sources have been quoted as saying the Wings are offering Hossa), or he really won't sign for anything less than Zetterberg's deal.

Obviously he's not going to get Zetterberg's deal, no freaking chance.

So that leaves the following possibility:

Lidstrom-Bouwmeester

Rafalski-Kronwall

Ericsson-Stuart

With Bouwmeester signing a long term, front loaded contract for somewhere around 4.5-5 million a season.

Part of the selling point to Bouw, aside from getting to play on a perpetual contender (and this is where his time on the Panthers helps us), is that he'll get to pair up with Lidstrom. Now he's a left hand shot, so that's going to be a strike against him in that department, BUT when Lidstrom retires we'll have Rafalski (right hander) paired up with another lefty (a possition Kronwall likely expected he'd have).

As it stands now Bouwmeester is the type of strong positional player with high end defense AND offense we need to replace Lidstrom 5-10 years from now. Kronwall is proving that he's an offensive stud but only average defensively. Ericsson could get there, he's known for being defensively strong AND having great offensive numbers (when his wrist is healthy, although his defensive numbers were pretty decent in the playoffs given that he saw zero PP time).

I can't see Stuart being too happy with being a number 5/6 defenceman. He's better than that. And more importantly, I don't think we should be paying 3.75 million for a third pairing defenceman.

I can't imagine Sammy getting a bigger role anywhere else. I mean, yes his time on the top two lines was cut down this year, but he's had a pretty respectable role...working in on the top two lines and getting decent powerplay minutes on such a strong team.

I can only imagine him leaving if:

there's a huge contract that another team offers

or

if he has personal problems with Babcock. And given the way in which Babs plays him, the amount of ice time he gets and Bab's description of Sammy as being, if I recall correctly, "an elite, elite player" I find a conflict unlikely.

With or without Hossa, we remain pretty much the team that won the Cup last year. Without Hossa, we keep Hudler and possibly Sammy. The money remains to sign Kopecky and Leino. The "D"is set and money will free up once Holmstrom, Maltby, and Draper hang up the skates over the next couple of years, not to mention Lidstrom's salary ending next year.

With Hossa, we keep a 40-goal scorer and lose Huds (most likely) and Sammy (definitely). The upside to losing Huds is we will get compensated if he signs elsewhere.

I'm not sure if Wings go after Conklin as Howard is a use him or lose him, if I'm not mistaken, for next year.

I'm anxious for July 1 to arrive so we know the answer to Hossa.

We may have lost the Cup, but I still believe Detroit was the best team. The injury bug bit hard at just the wrong time. If you go back and watch the last 2 games of the Finals, you essentially saw the same game twice. We needed better starts and didn't get them and ran out of time when we tried to come back.

I just don't see any other team in the West or East as deep as the Wings.

Lidstrom lifts the Cup one last time in 2010.

I can't see Stuart being too happy with being a number 5/6 defenceman. He's better than that. And more importantly, I don't think we should be paying 3.75 million for a third pairing defenceman.

Well f*** him then. :P

I like Stuart, and he was amazing against the Ducks, but if Holland can steal Bouwmeester then he should. Yes the spot for Jay isn't open yet, but you've got to take a run at a kid like that if you can. I doubt we'll be able to get him, since I'm sure someone will throw more than 6 million at him, but you never know with Ken Holland.

Not sure why people are fixated on saving money to sign Kopecky...this guy is a complete failure. I'd rather have a bag of pucks on skates then bother spending any money on him at all.

a lot of people tie in the fact that kopo and hossa are best friends. They also throw a lot of crap about how kopo does what he does for dirt cheap,....my personal thoughts,......no hossa bye bye kopo.

Well f*** him then. :P

I like Stuart, and he was amazing against the Ducks, but if Holland can steal Bouwmeester then he should. Yes the spot for Jay isn't open yet, but you've got to take a run at a kid like that if you can. I doubt we'll be able to get him, since I'm sure someone will throw more than 6 million at him, but you never know with Ken Holland.

Hmmmmm, sign Bouw and then trade him to Tampa for Hedman..... NIce!

With or without Hossa (I'd prefer if he stayed), I'm excited to see Helm, Leino, and Ericsson get a full season under their belts next year.

Let him test the market, he'll find that he will only end up in a basement dwelling team or in the KHL or back in Sweden, as long as he is not taking up too much of the Cap here, I'll will take him back, but definately for Chelios type money, no more...