• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phazon

Why does this forum hate Zetterberg?

Rate this topic

through-out the last year I seen like 3-4 threads daily about datsyuk that he is the greatest etc. Meanwhile Zetterberg rarely get any mentions at all. Is it a russian vs swedish thing?

Imo Zetterberg was the only player that showed up for detroit in the finals. But it seem he doesnt get any credit for it.

I don't think that anyone hates him...

Maybe people don't talk about him as much because he's not as flashy though. Kind of goes back to that argument in another thread about why he didn't win the Selke.

Personally, I prefer Zetterberg, but they're both amazing talents.

Hes a great player, and while he did have an offseason, theres not much to say about him, he always comes to play, hes a great leader in the wings organization and I am glad hes gunna be a wing for a very long time.

What are you nuts? Datsyuk just had probably the best Wings forward season since Fedorov in 1994 and people are still saying "Zetterberg is better".

Datsyuk could win the Selke and Hart and people on this forum would still say Zetterberg is a better player and have absolutely no reason to back it up.

Its Fedorov/Yzerman all over again.

Every thread in regards to Datsyuk's success has someone, mainly Eva, looking to discredit him in an attempt to prop up Zetterberg.

Since the lockout, Zetterberg has a Conn Smythe and Datsyuk has four lady Byngs, two Selke's and a second team all star nod, all the while leading the team in scoring.

What are you nuts? Datsyuk just had probably the best Wings forward season since Fedorov in 1994 and people are still saying "Zetterberg is better".

Datsyuk could win the Selke and Hart and people on this forum would still say Zetterberg is a better player and have absolutely no reason to back it up.

Every thread in regards to Datsyuk's success has someone, mainly Eva, looking to discredit him in an attempt to prop up Zetterberg.

Since the lockout, Zetterberg has a Conn Smythe and Datsyuk has four lady Byngs, two Selke's and a second team all star nod, all the while leading the team in scoring.

Because Zetterberg has more consistently shown up in the playoffs?

Edit: Zombo beat me to it

Edited by Zetts

through-out the last year I seen like 3-4 threads daily about datsyuk that he is the greatest etc. Meanwhile Zetterberg rarely get any mentions at all. Is it a russian vs swedish thing?

Imo Zetterberg was the only player that showed up for detroit in the finals. But it seem he doesnt get any credit for it.

Dont get me wrong, ''Z'' played great in the playoffs, but lets be honest... If it wasnt for Ozzie, how far would we have actually made it?

A third of our team was injured at some point in the playoffs and i feel that Ozzie was the one that held us together through this adversity.

Zetterberg scored four more points than Datsyuk in his Conn Smythe season and it could have gone to Franzen just as easily.

Wings win the cup this season, it goes to Osgood, does that make him as good as Zetterberg?

I'll take an 82 game sample size over 24 games myself.

And in 81 games, Datsyuk outscored Z by 20 points, was nominated for MVP and won a Selke.

Zetterberg has never come close to be that successful without being on a line with Datsyuk.

Zetterberg scored four more points than Datsyuk in his Conn Smythe season and it could have gone to Franzen just as easily.

Wings win the cup this season, it goes to Osgood, does that make him as good as Zetterberg?

And in 81 games, Datsyuk outscored Z by 20 points, was nominated for MVP and won a Selke.

Zetterberg has never come close to be that successful without being on a line with Datsyuk.

Osgood plays a different position than Zetterberg, you can't really compare them...

If you mean, "would that have made Osgood as valuable this year as Zetterberg last year", then yes, I suppose you could choose to look at it that way.

I don't want to get into all of the stats with the playoffs again, like in the Datsyuk/OV/Malkin thread. Let's just leave it at this.

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Look at the playoff stats and draw your own conclusions. They're really pretty far apart.

And who cares about 82 games vs 24 games. The 24 games are MUCH more important. Sadly this is probably just going to keep going and become a full-fledged Datsyuk vs Zetterberg thread, but I guess we haven't had one of those in a while.

Osgood plays a different position than Zetterberg, you can't really compare them...

If you mean, "would that have made Osgood as valuable this year as Zetterberg last year", then yes, I suppose you could choose to look at it that way.

I don't want to get into all of the stats with the playoffs again, like in the Datsyuk/OV/Malkin thread. Let's just leave it at this.

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Look at the playoff stats and draw your own conclusions. They're really pretty far apart.

And who cares about 82 games vs 24 games. The 24 games are MUCH more important. Sadly this is probably just going to keep going and become a full-fledged Datsyuk vs Zetterberg thread, but I guess we haven't had one of those in a while.

In case you didn't watch any Wings game this season, which im sure you haven't, Marian Hossa was literally an anchor to whichever center he played with. Zetterberg was down right terrible with Hossa during the regular season, Datsyuk was slightly better but still played much better with other Wingers.

The point being, Datsyuk was stuck with Hossa during the playoffs. Hossa isn't known for his playmaking ability and if he isn't scoring goals, hes pretty worthless.

Datsyuk was our best player in the Jackets series, you know, because theres more to playing hockey than just putting up points. In the Duck's series, hes was neutralized, much in the same way Crosby was. And of course, we all know he broke his foot and got a charley horse in the Chicago series.

Datsyuk was hurt, so using this post season is pretty ridiculous. Datsyuk is also more prone to getting hurt because he plays a much tougher style than Z. Zetterberg is like Lidstrom in that sense. Hes great positionally but he rarely takes the body.

Datsyuk, is a grinder, great defensively and pays the price physically for his style of play.

Just look at the two seasons that Datsyuk was healthy for the playoffs, 2007 and 2008.

2007, Datsyuk was our best player.

2008, our third best player.

In 2006 he had a Charlie Horse, couldn't even walk and Zetterberg scored 6 goals in 6 games(This is the moment Datsyuk was labeled a playoff choker). Until it came out that he was injured pretty badly.

The playoffs versus regular season argument is ridiculous. If players didn't step up in the regular season, this team doesn't make the playoffs. Datsyuk has consistently led this team TO the playoffs since 2004. Don't discredit that.

In case you didn't watch any Wings game this season, which im sure you haven't, Marian Hossa was literally an anchor to whichever center he played with. Zetterberg was down right terrible with Hossa during the regular season, Datsyuk was slightly better but still played much better with other Wingers.

The point being, Datsyuk was stuck with Hossa during the playoffs. Hossa isn't known for his playmaking ability and if he isn't scoring goals, hes pretty worthless.

Datsyuk was our best player in the Jackets series, you know, because theres more to playing hockey than just putting up points. In the Duck's series, hes was neutralized, much in the same way Crosby was. And of course, we all know he broke his foot and got a charley horse in the Chicago series.

Datsyuk was hurt, so using this post season is pretty ridiculous. Datsyuk is also more prone to getting hurt because he plays a much tougher style than Z. Zetterberg is like Lidstrom in that sense. Hes great positionally but he rarely takes the body.

Datsyuk, is a grinder, great defensively and pays the price physically for his style of play.

Just look at the two seasons that Datsyuk was healthy for the playoffs, 2007 and 2008.

2007, Datsyuk was our best player.

2008, our third best player.

In 2006 he had a Charlie Horse, couldn't even walk and Zetterberg scored 6 goals in 6 games(This is the moment Datsyuk was labeled a playoff choker). Until it came out that he was injured pretty badly.

The playoffs versus regular season argument is ridiculous. If players didn't step up in the regular season, this team doesn't make the playoffs. Datsyuk has consistently led this team TO the playoffs since 2004. Don't discredit that.

Ooh, personal attacks, you really gained bonus points there!

First, I watched probably 70-75 of the 82 games this season with my center ice and ALL of the playoff games.

So, your argument with the first bit re Hossa is what...? Datsyuk is a better playmaker? Maybe he is, I never suggested otherwise.

If we go with points, he had...2 against Columbus. Zetterberg had 4.

Fair enough, there is more to hockey than that. Datsyuk was +2, Zetterberg was +4. If you want to ignore stats, all I can say is that I watched the games, and I think Zetterberg was better.

And then you just brush off the Anaheim series because Datsyuk got shut down? THAT'S THE POINT. Look at the stats for that series. Zetterberg didn't get shut down (well, a bit, but not to nearly the same magnitude).

My god, your arguments are just...

2008, you say Datsyuk was the third best player? Gee, I wonder who #1 was?

Edit: I didn't want to get into this AGAIN, but here it goes

Playoffs

Datsyuk: 63 points in 98 games, 0.643 ppg

Zetterberg: 76 points in 85 games, 0.894 ppg

Yah, Datsyuk has had injuries. But Zetterberg has never had anything right? I mean, those chronic wrist and back problems must have been a joke, anyone could play with those.

Edited by Zetts

Ooh, personal attacks, you really gained bonus points there!

First, I watched probably 70-75 of the 82 games this season with my center ice and ALL of the playoff games.

So, your argument with the first bit re Hossa is what...? Datsyuk is a better playmaker? Maybe he is, I never suggested otherwise.

If we go with points, he had...2 against Columbus. Zetterberg had 4.

Fair enough, there is more to hockey than that. Datsyuk was +2, Zetterberg was +4. If you want to ignore stats, all I can say is that I watched the games, and I think Zetterberg was better.

And then you just brush off the Anaheim series because Datsyuk got shut down? THAT'S THE POINT. Look at the stats for that series. Zetterberg didn't get shut down (well, a bit, but not to nearly the same magnitude).

My god, your arguments are just...

2008, you say he was the third best player? Gee, I wonder who #1 was?

Zetterberg not only got shutdown during the Anahiem series, his entire role was to shutdown Getzlaf, Ryan, Perry and he didn't accomplish that until the last game of the series.

My argument is that, Babcock paired Hossa with Datsyuk because it was the better option than putting him with Zetterberg.

The Wings best line this season was Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Franzen.

The Wings worst line this season was Cleary-Zetterberg-Hossa

Datsyuk still put up 97 points playing with Hossa, while Zetterberg had an average season playing without Datsyuk. Datsyuk has proven that he could play with ANYONE on this team, except Hossa. Babcock, recognizing this but not wanting to put Hossa on the third line, decided that Hossa and Datsyuk, even if they weren't scoring was still better than Hossa playing on the third line.

Put Datsyuk on a line with Franzen(Which never once happened in the playoffs) and he would easily produce. Put him on a line with an injured Holmstrom and the Anchor formerly known as Hossa and you expected anything different?

You honestly think Zetterberg puts up 20+ points on a line with Hossa and Holmstrom?

I just joined so I don't know about this forum "hating" Zetterberg...........just because he wasn't mentioned much does not mean he's hated...at all. Who would hate a Wing on a Let's Go Wngs forum ??

Zetterberg not only got shutdown during the Anahiem series, his entire role was to shutdown Getzlaf, Ryan, Perry and he didn't accomplish that until the last game of the series.

My argument is that, Babcock paired Hossa with Datsyuk because it was the better option than putting him with Zetterberg.

The Wings best line this season was Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Franzen.

The Wings worst line this season was Cleary-Zetterberg-Hossa

Datsyuk still put up 97 points playing with Hossa, while Zetterberg had an average season playing without Datsyuk. Datsyuk has proven that he could play with ANYONE on this team, except Hossa. Babcock, recognizing this but not wanting to put Hossa on the third line, decided that Hossa and Datsyuk, even if they weren't scoring was still better than Hossa playing on the third line.

Put Datsyuk on a line with Franzen(Which never once happened in the playoffs) and he would easily produce. Put him on a line with an injured Holmstrom and the Anchor formerly known as Hossa and you expected anything different?

You honestly think Zetterberg puts up 20+ points on a line with Hossa and Holmstrom?

The simple fact that you acknowledge that Zetterberg was supposed to shut down the best line, shows that Babs trusts Z with the big defensive assignment. And Zetterberg did a pretty good job of that towards the end of the series anyways. And against Crosby in the finals he was lights out.

As far as points in the Anaheim series, Datsyuk had 3. Zetterberg had TEN while playing against Anaheim's best line. And in case you missed my above edit, take a look. PPG isn't even close.

And stop arguing about linemates they both played with pretty much everyone. And Datsyuk "still put up 97 points playing with Hossa"? Hossa was good in the regular season...not BECAUSE of Datsyuk but because he's a great player.

Yes...clearly I'M the one not watching the games.

I just joined so I don't know about this forum "hating" Zetterberg...........just because he wasn't mentioned much does not mean he's hated...at all. Who would hate a Wing on a Let's Go Wngs forum ??

He's not hated. He's just not as flashy as Datsyuk. He's also boring with the media. Datsyuk likes to joke around while Zetterberg just wants to get the hell out of there but who could blame him? So would I.

The simple fact that you acknowledge that Zetterberg was supposed to shut down the best line, shows that Babs trusts Z with the big defensive assignment. And Zetterberg did a pretty good job of that towards the end of the series anyways. And against Crosby in the finals he was lights out.

As far as points in the Anaheim series, Datsyuk had 3. Zetterberg had TEN while playing against Anaheim's best line. And in case you missed my above edit, take a look. PPG isn't even close.

And stop arguing about linemates they both played with pretty much everyone. And Datsyuk "still put up 97 points playing with Hossa"? Hossa was good in the regular season...not BECAUSE of Datsyuk but because he's a great player.

Yes...clearly I'M the one not watching the games.

The company line or excuse for Zetterberg having a 70 point season was that he is used as a "Shutdown center" but when he doesn't do this job, no one brings it up. He was good against Crosby but was terrible against Getzlaf.

Datsyuk played the same role in the finals in 2008. Wonder why Malkin didn't "Show up"? Datsyuk was at him at every step, hitting him everytime he got the puck.

And line mates do matter, Holmstrom is a fourth liner when not playing with Datsyuk. Hossa's production speaks for itself.

Hossa on a line with Zetterberg was down right awful.

Hossa on a line with Datsyuk was average.

The question you need to ask yourself, why hasn't Zetterberg never not played with a guy named Datsyuk or Franzen?

Zetterberg's 90 point season came while playing with Datsyuk and Holmstrom. Zetterberg's Conn Smythe came while playing with Datsyuk.

Datsyuk's 97 points THIS season came from playing with a variety of Wingers, hardly ever playing with Z.

Datsyuk continues to produce with anyone.

Like I said, put Holmstrom-Zetterberg-Hossa on a line and see how well they do. Oh wait, we've seen it and it was terrible.

I've never seen anything on LGW that would indicate in any way that anyone on here hates Zetterberg.

Russian vs Swedish thing? What are you talking about?

Zeems to me that everyone has been talking about Zetterberg shutting down the Crosby Show the past two finals.

Am I the only one that finds it difficult to take the origianl post seriously?

If more people felt like you, the Hossa lynch mob wouldn't exist.

No offense to the original poster, but this is a stupid thread. I've never seen any evidence of so called "hate" for Zetterberg around here. In fact I would say many around here respect the hell out of Zetterberg and are happy that he has signed a lifetime contract with the Wings. There is also a good chance he will be the future Captain of this team.

I certainly don't hate him. I think Henrik Zetterberg is an awesome, experienced hockey player. He is one of my favorite NHL players (even if he's not a Pred). Personally I think Zetterberg is one of the best NHL players in the league.