• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
13dangledangle

Can we land Sundin for a "discount"?

Rate this topic

Just a thought...and still keep the hoss!!

Sundin was offered what Hossa ended up taking, last year -- he did not want to play in Detroit.

He was a huge disappointment in Vancouver and I would not touch him for anything more than $1m.

We can barely keep "the Hoss" as it is. Right now Holland would have to shed some salaries ala Chelios, Conklin, Sammy, Hudler and Hossa will have to take another pay cut (along the lines of 4-5M, but closer to 4M) to stay here. In order to have Sundin as well, Holland would have to trade away Filppulla and some of our defensive core, most likely including Stuart/Kronwall.

I think Hossa will be signed for $4 per year cap hit and I really think Sundin would sign for like $1 mil. He wants to win a Cup and he could do it with a lot of the same guys he won a gold medal with. He would be another hungry veteran, a great second line center, a valuable right handed shot to play the left circle on the PP.

I think he would be a great fit for this team for one year at the right price. Anything more in terms of years or money and I'd have to pass.

To me, the problem with Sundin is that he has not accepted that he is on the decline in his career, he thinks he is still a premier player who deserves those kinds of dollars.

He priced himself out of a shot at the Cup last year, and I don't think he will sign on the cheap to get one here.

The Wings won a Cup without Hossa and Sundin. How many times do you see on this message board. Why isn't Leino playing? Where is Helm? I think it is time the Wings figured out what some of their Grand Rapids players can do over a full season.

The Wings won a Cup without Hossa and Sundin. How many times do you see on this message board. Why isn't Leino playing? Where is Helm? I think it is time the Wings figured out what some of their Grand Rapids players can do over a full season.

:thumbup:

Sundin is washed up, and apparently the only thing he will be able to retain from his better, more youthful days is the ability to doop some poor team in vastly overpaying for his services. Teams will foolishly bid high for him again this year and I'll yet again be scratching my head.

Do the Wings want him? No. Will they want him for a discount? No. Will he take a discount to play for Detroit? No.

No, and No. Next question.

Agreed.

And I don't think it'd be benefecial even IF it happened.

I agree with the Sammy statement a few posts up. We have an inconsistent player with talent already on the roster. Don't need another whos declining fast into retirement.

Number one, why in the hell would we want him???

Number two, if he did pay to play for us he'd be so far in hock, he'd never see the light of day. It'd be worse than paying a 30-year house mortgage.

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'd rather shove bamboo slivers under my fingernails.

Only if he accepts $1m/yr. Why not, remember Burke's quote, 'He's got $1 less than God.' ... :D

And he made more $$ last year for doing squat. Do a league minimum, didn't someone on Avalanche played for like $1 mill/yr for a chance to wind the Cup. Maybe he can be inspiration for all the other Swedes to win one for him.

Edited by RedWingsRox

Unlike most people here it would seem, I like Sundin. He was one of the few Leafs I had (and still have) alot of respect for. He's not worth 10 mill by any stretch, and I think Vancouver is stupid for thinking he was. He's only ever been worth 4-5 Million in his prime (imo) but he puts out as much effort as Zetterberg, and I admire it. He's a strong force down low, with great wrap around skill, perhaps an improvement over Hossa.

Do I want him on the team? If he was willing to take a price between 1-2 million, definitely! Up to 3 million and he's worth it, even in his older age. He just needs a team he fits on, needs a role, something the Wings are great at. But I wanna see the young guys too, so just one new free agent this year, no more Hossa. (And we already know Cheli is gone) But I don't think he would make a huge impact to this team, even Hossa didn't feel like anything special, despite 40 goals.