• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
msm2000

Chelios Press Conference

Rate this topic

Sounds like another storied career may be coming to a close....

I'd love for him to stick around as an assistant coach. Have any details come out though?

Edited by detroitdan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/9721362...plans-Wednesday

DETROIT (AP) - Chris Chelios has a plan to talk about his future.

The 47-year-old defenseman says he will host a news conference Wednesday morning at Cheli's Chili Bar and Restaurant in Detroit to answer questions just days after the Red Wings confirmed he will not be offered a contract to stay.

Chelios has said he wants to play next season.

He played in six of 23 playoff games this year for the runner-up Red Wings, extending his NHL records by appearing in his 24th postseason and 266th playoff game. He played 28 regular-season games.

Chelios is a three-time Norris Trophy winner as the NHL's top defenseman and 11-time All-Star. The Chicago native and former Blackhawks player won Stanley Cups with Detroit and Montreal.

It would be sweet if he pays in GR -- if he does not feel like moving.

I wouldn't completely rule something like this out...I remember an interview he did with the Hockey News a couple years ago, where he said that he wanted to play until 50 but acknowledged that it might not be in the NHL. Plus, he might want to be somewhat close to MSU during hockey season. We'll see I guess.

Edited by C-TownWing

When he signs for another team I know I'll be cheering for him when comes back to the Joe. So glad he is staying in Detroit. I knew he would because of his son playing at MSU. Please I love his bars!

May be a great fit on a bottom-feeder Eastern Conference team with a young defense core. Could see a team like Atlanta bringing him in to mentor Bogosian or if a team like the Islanders end up foolishly picking Hedman over Tavares. At this point in his career, a steady-veteran mentor is the only role he can really fill nicely.

Good luck elsewhere Cheli!

Guest mindfly
DETROIT -- He won't be a Detroit Red Wing, but Chris Chelios still wants to play.

The 47-year-old defenceman said Wednesday he has no hard feelings about Detroit's decision not to sign him for next season.

Chelios says he wants to sign with another NHL team. Chelios says his family won't move from the Detroit area, where he owns a bar.

Chelios says he would prefer to play with a team in the Eastern Conference. He says the travel would be easier than it would be in the far-flung Western Conference.

He says he and his agent will start contacting teams July 1, when he officially becomes a free agent.

Chelios won two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings after being acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks during the 1998-1999 season.

For sentimental reasons, I'm sorry to see him go. Obviously he was a great player throughout his career and his personality and leadership will be missed, but it's been awhile since he was a really strong contributor to the team on the ice.

Thank you, and best of luck Cheli.

Love Cheli, hate completely pointless press conferences. Although the East preference is kind of strange, since everyone sort of assumed he'd be a Hawk or a King.

I vote for Montreal and coming full circle I guess.

if he wants to stay close to detroit and wants to play in the east....maybe toronto? any thoughts?

May be a good influence on Luke Shen, as I said earlier, he should go to a bottom-feeder Eastern team with a young defensive talent. But I don't know if I can see Burke signing someone as old and used up as Chelios, a market like Toronto may also be a little hectic for Chelios too, although he did love doing morning shows in Detroit often.

kinda sux, I was hoping he would either play with GR or take a coaching role either in GR or for the Wings... I would not write that off in the future given he has the Cheli bars in the D area. I will root for him when he plays as long as it's not against the Wings... unless he wings up in Pitt in which case he can suck an egg.

I don't think he is trying to prove a point or anything selfish. From what I have heard from a friend of mine out here in California, that is a friend of the Chelios family, is that he is holding on for the possible chance of playing with his son Dean.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did become a King though. Convenience for sure, being he has a place on the beach in Malibu.