• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zetts

Howard to backup next year

Rate this topic

I am curious to see why Jim Nill went out and made public about Jimmy Howard being the back-up. From everything that I heard and read in this past year, this decision to play him or trade him would stem from his performance this training camp.

Last year he had a mediocre training camp. His call up this year was a disaster against Minnesota if I remember right. I wonder if the team feels that they are out of options with him due to other circumstances. Maybe they have retained the likes of Hossa and company, and now are dangerously close the Cap. I am sure we will know more by next week.

Conklin I am guessing will be a starter somewhere else for just under a couple million. I am sorry to see him go, actually, if this is the case.

Al Montoya was supposed to be a God.

Kiprusoff was a back-up until he was 28.

Jim Carey.

Marc Denis was supposed to be a legit starter.

Backstrom didn't join the league til 28.

The reigning Vezina winner didn't even play in the NHL until he was in his 30s.

Dominik Hasek was drafted 199th overall.

Jamie Storr was drafted 7th overall.

Do you guys really want to sit here and act like you know whats going to happen with Howard, when the NHL is littered with no-name goalies who have become Vezina nominees and marquee minders who have barely made the cut? Without a doubt, goalies are the most difficult players to peg. Theres no reason why the Wings cant see what hes got up his sleeve, with a veteran like Osgood by his side.

The same Joey MacDonald that shut the Wings out this season on the Island?

That was actually a home game. And yes, the same Joey MacDonald that also posted a .901 save percentage - significantly better than a certain goalie I know.

I am curious to see why Jim Nill went out and made public about Jimmy Howard being the back-up. From everything that I heard and read in this past year, this decision to play him or trade him would stem from his performance this training camp.

Last year he had a mediocre training camp. His call up this year was a disaster against Minnesota if I remember right. I wonder if the team feels that they are out of options with him due to other circumstances. Maybe they have retained the likes of Hossa and company, and now are dangerously close the Cap. I am sure we will know more by next week.

Conklin I am guessing will be a starter somewhere else for just under a couple million. I am sorry to see him go, actually, if this is the case.

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that Jimmy's cap hit is 710k. And Conklin - as well as most other veteran goalies - wasn't going to take less than 750k.

Al Montoya was supposed to be a God.

Kiprusoff was a back-up until he was 28.

Jim Carey.

Marc Denis was supposed to be a legit starter.

Backstrom didn't join the league til 28.

The reigning Vezina winner didn't even play in the NHL until he was in his 30s.

Dominik Hasek was drafted 199th overall.

Jamie Storr was drafted 7th overall.

Do you guys really want to sit here and act like you know whats going to happen with Howard, when the NHL is littered with no-name goalies who have become Vezina nominees and marquee minders who have barely made the cut? Without a doubt, goalies are the most difficult players to peg. Theres no reason why the Wings cant see what hes got up his sleeve, with a veteran like Osgood by his side.

Quoted. For. Truth.

I'm excited to see Howard get a real shot. While his career record with the Wings is terrible (1-5-0), he's usually been called up when we're at our worst. His sv% on the Wings is a solid .907%. I think he'll be alright. Maybe he's just bored of the AHL by now. :)

While Conklin had a few really good months with us and was a solid backup, I wasn't particularly happy that he went to s*** from March on when Babcock announced that the starter position for the playoffs was up in the air. I believe that Howard has starter potential while Conklin is just a great backup.

But we'll have to wait and see what really happens. :)

610x.jpg

osgood-howard.jpg

He's learned from the best.

Edited by digitaljohn88

Howard needs more games.

After all, Yann Danis in NYI and Jaroslav Halak struggled their first few games after starting, but once they found a rhythm, they hit stride.

HOWARD NEEDS MOAR GAMES.

A little disappointed as this probably assures Conklin leaving, I would've liked to see him stay. But, Howard is out of minor league options so I understand the decision, assuming it is true. While many I think have already thrown him under the bus, he's barely played much in the NHL. Too small of a sample size to accurately judge a player or a goalie I think. And it's not like he's going to be playing 70 games next season. Give him some time to play some more games here/there over the next few seasons then it's more accurate to say if he is NHL material or not.

I think you guys are overlooking something. You explain away his poor performances as being called up when the team was suffering the worst. But you overlook that he's been maddeningly inconsistent and weak in the AHL. If you can't mop up in the AHL there's no way in hell you're going to be a great goalie in the NHL without years and years of focus and practice as a maddeningly inconsistent backup.

Goalies are hard to predict, though. He has shown flashes of brilliance, just nothing that would indicate he has anything special that would last long-term.

I would love to be proven wrong and turn into a Howard fan, though.

Nill's comments did actually leave the door open for it not to be Howard. He just kind of hints that it will be Howard.

Nill, from that article re Howard:

It's up to him.

Holland seems a little more definite about it being Howard, both with his quote from September

Our plan is that he is going to be on our team in '09-10 for sure.

and an interview with FSN which sadly I do not have a link to where he said something similar.

Realistically though, if Howard if god-awful in training camp, there's no reason to think the Wings wouldn't pick up someone else. This more just shows their intentions/expectations for Howard.

Even though Jimmy I believe is 1-5 in the past 3-4 years making random appearances in the NHL. He kept the Wings in games long enough but their offense never stepped up. I believe his worst loss in the NHL was this past season 4-0 or 4-1.

Keep in mind he is the only goalie to ever face a penalty shot in each of his first two career NHL games. That tells you how the players were playing in front of him. He doesn't hold a lot of NCAA records by a fluke.

- Holds University of Maine school record for shutouts, goals against average

and save percentage. (holds all three records for both single season and career.)

- Holds NCAA records for GAA(1.19) and save percentage(.954) - 2003–04

Keep in mind he is the only goalie to ever face a penalty shot in each of his first two career NHL games. That tells you how the players were playing in front of him. He doesn't hold a lot of NCAA records by a fluke.

- Holds University of Maine school record for shutouts, goals against average

and save percentage. (holds all three records for both single season and career.)

- Holds NCAA records for GAA(1.19) and save percentage(.954) - 2003�"04

Yeah, he was GREAT for Maine!

Yeah, he was GREAT for Maine!

Especially considering he was facing like 50+ shots a game in the frozen four.

I love me some Umaine Hockey and want to see a goalie start in the NHL, when was the last one, Garth Snow?

I have high hopes for the kid just because I am a fan of his and he is now on the Wings, double win win!

He does have some great skills, I just hope the rise to the level in the NHL!

Nice to see a young guy get a chance. However, the Wings backup goalie usually gets alot more work then other teams backups. With Osgood getting another year older and after yet another long playoff run the work will have to be split or Ozzie will be no good come playoff time. This is my concern, can you give Howard 25-30 starts? We all enjoyed having Conklin last year when Ozzie stumbled.