• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Ottawa Sun: Wings have made lucrative long term offer to Hossa

Rate this topic

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Detro...915926-sun.html

MONTREAL- The Detroit Red Wings are waiting for an answer from winger Marian Hossa.

The talk in NHL circles is the Wings have a made a lucrative long-term offer to the UFA winger and are waiting to see whether he'll accept the deal or test the market July 1.

Hossa, who signed a one year deal worth $7.45 million (all terms US) last season, will be the most sought after free agent on the market if he keeps his UFA status. That decision should be made in the next couple of days.

At first I didn't care about Hossa but now I hope the Wings sign him, if he's going to rebound after this year bad playoffs it should be with the Wings, he was great in the playoffs with the Pens last years I want to see him play that way next year with the Wings.

Edited by Ray1905

At first I didn't care about Hossa but now I hope the Wings sign him, if he's going to rebound after this year bad playoffs it should be with the Wings, he was great in the playoffs with the Pens last years I want to see him play that way next year with the Wings.

I'm pretty much the same. If he is willing to sign long-term for around $4mil/season as previously reported (which seems like a stretch) and we don't lose Filpulla or Cleary, I'm all for him sticking around. I think the pressure was WAY too much for him to handle this playoff, and in the Finals it was almost suffocating. He'll have a huge bounce back coming off a secure contract long-term, and I hope its with the Wings.

I think you'd have to assume that if there's an offer, it's in the style of the Zetterberg and Franzen offers where the very end of the contract is a way low number to bring the cap number down. Hossa is going to sign for the rest of his life or not at all.

I still don't see how this deal gets done without the Wings trading some pieces or some guys being 'forced' to retire. I don't want another regular season like last year in which there was no salary cap room available for the team to bring up minor league guys for quick/short term injury replacements (ones that do not give the Wings cap relief by going on LTIR).

I think it's possible that the Wings can try to circumvent the cap somewhat by putting Lilja on LTIR to begin the season, and use that cap relief to keep everyone they can. But cuts still look like they are needed to get it all under the cap.

I still don't see how this deal gets done without the Wings trading some pieces or some guys being 'forced' to retire. I don't want another regular season like last year in which there was no salary cap room available for the team to bring up minor league guys for quick/short term injury replacements (ones that do not give the Wings cap relief by going on LTIR).

I think it's possible that the Wings can try to circumvent the cap somewhat by putting Lilja on LTIR to begin the season, and use that cap relief to keep everyone they can. But cuts still look like they are needed to get it all under the cap.

You are 100% correct. It doesn't happen with out losing Kronwall, or Stuart, or Filpula. It would also take losing another player as well as one of the others. Plus we would have to say goodbye to FA'nd Hudler and Sammy. Some of those losses would have to be for nothing because of NTC's. We are talking waiver wire situations in certain cases.

Edited by LIDDYGIBBY5

I'm pretty much the same. If he is willing to sign long-term for around $4mil/season as previously reported (which seems like a stretch) and we don't lose Filpulla or Cleary, I'm all for him sticking around. I think the pressure was WAY too much for him to handle this playoff, and in the Finals it was almost suffocating. He'll have a huge bounce back coming off a secure contract long-term, and I hope its with the Wings.

Yeah keep him if you can keep Fil and Cleary, which I'm not sure how. If he walks that's fine. More money to spend to keep Hudler and maybe sign some type of roll player if they can. Try to keep cap space for a deadline deal. This team won without him and they can probably do it again. And there is more than enough talent here to fill in the holes around Hank, Pavel, Franzen, Cleary and Filpulla. Not a bad base to build from.

The title of the thread doesn't fit with the article.

Rumors suggest that Hossa has been offered something. This is a far cry from having actually happened, especially considering that Holland has been so clear about having to wait on the cap to do anything.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

Kris Draper $1,583,333

Ville Leino $1,100,000

Kirk Maltby $883,333

Justin Abdelkader $850,000

Tomas Kopecky $650,000

Darren Helm $599,444

Aaron Downey $500,000

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Andreas Lilja $1,250,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Brett Lebda $650,000

Derek Meech $483,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard $716,666

ROSTER SIZE 23

SALARY CAP $57,000,000

PAYROLL $56,570,653

BONUS MONEY (ESTIMATED) (0.2% of cap) $110,000

CAP ROOM $429,347

This is the best I can come up with. I was a little optimistic and move the cap up to $57M. I'm not quite sure how to add a MIN of $4M to get Hossa it w/o losing a key piece!!

Edited by LIDDYGIBBY5

So this was strictly a dream... and there is no truth and probably nothing realistic about it, BUT...

I had a dream last night that the wings traded Hudler, Lebda, Sammy, Lilja and our 1st rounder, for Toronto's first rounder. And then we signed Hossa to a (4.8 or 5.8) million dollar contract. The thing about this dream is that I was convinced it was true, or at least parts of it. I even got on Mlive this morning thinking I might see the Hossa signing news. The problem with the dream is that it still wouldn't have cleared the cap room for Hossa.

Here are my thoughts on the whole Hossa deal, dream aside. I LOVE Hossa. My fear is that we will ruin what has made this team so great by fighting to keep him. We are constantly praised for being a TEAM and how we keep people around and have roll players instead of flat out 'stars.' I feel if we sign Hossa, we begin to lose that and dismantle this team. We also make the next few years of operating under the salary cap hell for us. We might not be able to sign our good young players, down the road, and we might have a ton of old, highly payed stars. 34-40 year old Hossa, Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsyuk. For the same cap hit... Just worries me a little. I'd love to see something magical happen, but aside from Hossa taking a 4 mil a year deal (which still would hurt) and Lidstrom eventually taking a pay cut... this doesn't make sense.

Thoughts on the dream? Thoughts on the thoughts?

So this was strictly a dream... and there is no truth and probably nothing realistic about it, BUT...

I had a dream last night that the wings traded Hudler, Lebda, Sammy, Lilja and our 1st rounder, for Toronto's first rounder. And then we signed Hossa to a (4.8 or 5.8) million dollar contract. The thing about this dream is that I was convinced it was true, or at least parts of it. I even got on Mlive this morning thinking I might see the Hossa signing news. The problem with the dream is that it still wouldn't have cleared the cap room for Hossa.

Here are my thoughts on the whole Hossa deal, dream aside. I LOVE Hossa. My fear is that we will ruin what has made this team so great by fighting to keep him. We are constantly praised for being a TEAM and how we keep people around and have roll players instead of flat out 'stars.' I feel if we sign Hossa, we begin to lose that and dismantle this team. We also make the next few years of operating under the salary cap hell for us. We might not be able to sign our good young players, down the road, and we might have a ton of old, highly payed stars. 34-40 year old Hossa, Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsyuk. For the same cap hit... Just worries me a little. I'd love to see something magical happen, but aside from Hossa taking a 4 mil a year deal (which still would hurt) and Lidstrom eventually taking a pay cut... this doesn't make sense.

Interesting dream. Obviously wouldn't happen since it would only be Hudler's and Sammy's rights since they're UFA's to be...and even if they weren't the deal still wouldn't be made. It would be nice though.

I completely agree on Hossa. I cannot express how little I want him back here. I don't care if he is a star or not, and if he actually is capable of pulling his head out of his ass in the playoffs or not. Like you said, it's a team, and that's how I want it to stay. I still think it's pathetic how he wilted.

You want a damn cup Marian? You had your chance. Maybe, as our leading goal scorer in the regular season, scoring one in consecutive 2-1 losses in the finals would be nice. Thanks.

That just gave me the impression he wants someone else to win a cup FOR him. He can come here to Deadmonton and his career can rot with the Oilers for that 9 year 87 million contract or whatever it was. It's what he deserves.

Yes, I'm still bitter, does it show?

Interesting dream. Obviously wouldn't happen since it would only be Hudler's and Sammy's rights since they're UFA's to be...and even if they weren't the deal still wouldn't be made. It would be nice though.

I completely agree on Hossa. I cannot express how little I want him back here. I don't care if he is a star or not, and if he actually is capable of pulling his head out of his ass in the playoffs or not. Like you said, it's a team, and that's how I want it to stay. I still think it's pathetic how he wilted.

You want a damn cup Marian? You had your chance. Maybe, as our leading goal scorer in the regular season, scoring one in consecutive 2-1 losses in the finals would be nice. Thanks.

That just gave me the impression he wants someone else to win a cup FOR him. He can come here to Deadmonton and his career can rot with the Oilers for that 9 year 87 million contract or whatever it was. It's what he deserves.

Yes, I'm still bitter, does it show?

Well Hudler is a RFA to be, so his rights are worth a lot more than a UFA. And yeah Sammy would just be rights. Ha ha I don't know why I'm standing up for my dream. But it would be sweet, to get Toronto's first pick.

I don't think Hossa is selfish at all. I don't think he had desires of doing nothing while a team won for him. I mean the Wings front office thought the world of him, how hard he worked, his skill level, and his personal integrity. I don't think that was the issue. I think the issue is keeping him might blow up our whole team. I think he is a man of integrity. I mean he plays hockey professionally, and I believe he wants to score, contribute, play and be a part of this team. He said part of his decision to come to Detroit was to learn from the Detroit greats. Yzerman, Lids, Draper, Cheli, etc.

I see how you could be bitter though. I'm not bitter, but I don't blame you for being bitter. I just think if Hossa staying blows up our team philosophy it isn't worth it...

That is definitely the dilemma that everyone has running through their head right now. The first thing worth mentioning is that 34-40 year old players are still capable of producing, as well as mentoring. They won't be putting up 80-100 pts a season, but they will contribute. Secondly, Datsyuk is a free agent in 6 years, so if he re-signs, he won't be taking 6M away from the cap, but rather 2-3M, depending on his performance. That presently leaves Z and Franzen for 11.5 M off our cap 10 years down the road and potentially Hossa for about 15M total, which is a bit, but not substantially capable of crippling our team. We also have no idea where the salary cap will be 10+ years from now. In 2006 the cap was at 39M. Now, nobody is expecting the rate of growth to continue at that rate for 10+ years, but the league is still tinkering with the numbers to find the ideal range (we're still on the up trend) and inflation is all but certain for the future. 15M off a salary cap of 65M isn't nearly as bad as 15M off a cap of 55M, although inflation will certainly include players' salaries as well.

In any event, I see Holland retiring sometime before the Zetterberg contract is up, and right now he is just putting the pieces together to ensure that the Wings will be the absolute best they can be while he is still in office. Who knows if he isn't worried about what happens after that.

I agree that having depth is key. And without a doubt it's been the thing that has made and kept The Wings so strong all these years.

But here's the thing. Losing a handful of players in order to keep Hossa would only be an issue this year.

In 10/11:

- Lidstrom will get a new contract and most likely the Wings will save 2M if he re-signs rather than retires (fingers crossed).

- Holmstrom's 2.25M either comes off the books completely, or he re-sign for, let's say 1M less.

- Maltby is done

- Lilja's 1.25M is off the books. Unless he re-sigs.

Regardless, there will be more wiggle room in 10/11 to regain that depth or at least start re-building it with younger cheaper players. Even if some vets, like Homer, come back, they will be cheaper contracts, etc. etc.

We don't need to carry 23 guys on the roster, correct? I could be wrong. I thought we had 21 most of last year. 12 forwards and 7 defensemen. My modified roster version:

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Marian Hossa $4,500,000

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Kris Draper $1,583,333

Ville Leino $1,100,000

Kirk Maltby $883,333

Justin Abdelkader $850,000

Tomas Kopecky $650,000

Darren Helm $599,444

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Brett Lebda $650,000

Derek Meech $483,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard $716,666

ROSTER SIZE 21

SALARY CAP $57,000,000

PAYROLL $57,070,653

CAP ROOM -$70,653

This is assuming Lilja is on long term IR next season (hope he's not), Holmstrom somehow... disappears (which I don't think would happen), and that Sammy and Hudler are let go. I put Hossa's salary at 4.5 mil, I think he could be pretty close to that.

I still couldn't fit it under an assumed $57mil cap, but it came close. Especially if we got Hossa for less than the 4.5 I penciled in. IMO, we lose too much depth in any scenario to sign Hossa unless we make some major moves. Our lines with the above configuration:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - Hossa

Leino - Helm - Abdelkader

Kopecky - Draper - Maltby

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Stuart - Kronwall

Ericsson - Meech/Lebda

Osgood

Howard

I'm not sure that I like it. Especially with an all-rookie third line, though all of them are promising. I really like Hossa, but we may have to just let him go. If anyone got injured on this roster... would we have decent replacements?

(sorry if any of my math is off)

Edited by digitaljohn88

Can't Holland structure a contract that work with Lidstrom's contract (and some of the other guys coming off the books) next year?

Do something 10 years - 2million, 7.5million, 7.5million, 7.5million, 7million, 6million, 4.5million, 3.5million, 2million,

^for example

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Cleary

Franzen - Filppula - Hossa

Leino - Helm - Abdelkader

Kopecky - Draper - Maltby

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Stuart - Kronwall

Ericsson - Meech/Lebda

Osgood

Howard

I'm not sure that I like it. Especially with an all-rookie third line, though all of them are promising. I really like Hossa, but we may have to just let him go. If anyone got injured on this roster... would we have decent replacements?

(sorry if any of my math is off)

Agreed. It's painful to think about the lack of depth this team will have if we sign him. And the management already said they want Abdelkader to spend another year in GR too, so I really don't know what would happen.

I've never been a "Kenny, do this please" type of person, but please, Kenny, if you ever read this, even for s***s and giggles, DO NOT RESIGN HOSSA.

Can't Holland structure a contract that work with Lidstrom's contract (and some of the other guys coming off the books) next year?

Do something 10 years - 2million, 7.5million, 7.5million, 7.5million, 7million, 6million, 4.5million, 3.5million, 2million,

^for example

He could do it, but it wouldn't help our cap situation. It's the average of all years that's the cap hit.