• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zetts

McCarty offered a two-way deal

Rate this topic

Sorry, but why? The guy played what, half a dozen games last season? Fact is the Wings wasted $1M in cap space last year on him and Downey (because of their age, their NHL salary still counts against the cap, despite being on a 2 way contract).

If they want to give him a contract with the Griffins, fantastic. Let him teach the young 'uns the Wings way, and what NOT to do, but the guy is, sadly, not an NHL player any more :(

Use the money to sign a guy who can fight AND still play in the NHL.

C'mon guys, Kenny Holland must have a good reason. Loyalty does not mean charity, so McCarty must still have some redeeming value in the eyes of Holland and Illitch.

I would have to think he gives great mentoring down in GR, a message that cannot come from anybody else.. The guy's been thru everything and is a real life example of how fleating an NHL career can be. No one appreciates the opportunity to be in GR more than Darren McCarty.

I'm surprised, but happy. I know I won't get to see him, but gosh darn it, he's teaching the kids.

I just got done watching the '97 and '98 DVD's (b-day present from the hamster), so I admit to being nostalgic right now. He's not the Mac of those years, and never will be again, but if he still has something to offer, I'm glad he's able to do it. I'm also glad that his life is still on the right track.

I was expecting player-coach in GR, but if this is what Kenny wants, then this is what I'll take.

I trust Kenny.

Sorry, but why? The guy played what, half a dozen games last season? Fact is the Wings wasted $1M in cap space last year on him and Downey (because of their age, their NHL salary still counts against the cap, despite being on a 2 way contract).
Why would Downey's salary have counted? He's not even 35+ NOW.

Downey only cost the Wings $22,000 against the cap. McCarty was on the LTIR for three months, so he only cost $420,000.

Edited by Systemfel

It will be good to see him for a few games this year. I agree he will come up to cover up for injuries, but still nice to know hes still around. He can def teach some of the younger guys, and still have a presence in the NHL.

If they want to give him a contract with the Griffins, fantastic. Let him teach the young 'uns the Wings way, and what NOT to do, but the guy is, sadly, not an NHL player any more :(

No it doesn't. The only time their salary counts against the Wings cap is when they are called up. Since they both spent the majority of their time in GR, their salaries had very little impact on the cap.

Why would Downey's salary have counted? He's not even 35+ NOW.

Downey only cost the Wings $22,000 against the cap. McCarty was on the LTIR for three months, so he only cost $420,000.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm sure I remember reading that Downey still counted against the cap. Lord knows there were enough threads about the cap last September.

therock48880[/b]]No it doesn't. The only time their salary counts against the Wings cap is when they are called up. Since they both spent the majority of their time in GR, their salaries had very little impact on the cap

No, because players over 35, even if on a 2-way contract still count against the cap (see Sytemfel above stating McCarty cost us $420k)

Gee, we value loyalty more than ability to perform.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm sure I remember reading that Downey still counted against the cap. Lord knows there were enough threads about the cap last September.

No, because players over 35, even if on a 2-way contract still count against the cap (see Sytemfel above stating McCarty cost us $420k)

Nope. Only 1 way deals for players over 35 count against the cap regardless. There's a reason why you pay two different salaries for a two-way deal. Even if it did count against the cap it would be a maximum of 75k which is a fraction of the lowest allowable salary in the NHL.

Like the article says, McCarty would play in Grand Rapids next year. Not taking up a roster or cap space. I fail to see a downside.

Sounds good to me. He's a great mentor to have in Grand Rapids and would be a really cheap call-up for injuries.

The most important point is to keep him in GR where he can help the kids down there and show them how loyal the Wings are to their players.

Nope. Only 1 way deals for players over 35 count against the cap regardless. There's a reason why you pay two different salaries for a two-way deal. Even if it did count against the cap it would be a maximum of 75k which is a fraction of the lowest allowable salary in the NHL.

Like the article says, McCarty would play in Grand Rapids next year. Not taking up a roster or cap space. I fail to see a downside.

This.

The "over-35" clause is only applicable if the guy retires. If hes on a two-way contract, he gets paid one salary in the AHL, and a different, bigger salary at the NHL. At no point does a player playing in the AHL who has a two-way contract count fully against the cap.

He'll probably see about 12 games, I'd suspect. Good move.

Agreed. I love Dmac, but he just doesn't contribute anything at the NHL level. He doesn't score, he's not fast, he doesn't kill penalties, and he doesn't even fight...

Agreed. I love Dmac, but he just doesn't contribute anything at the NHL level. He doesn't score, he's not fast, he doesn't kill penalties, and he doesn't even fight...

Who cares? He can play NHL hockey, and thats all he'll be called up to do, if he ever is called up - take a stroll on the ice to give the competent players a rest.

We should all be honored to be fans of an organization that manages to treat their "family" with so much respect, and yet still ices one of the best teams in the NHL every year.