• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Snazzy

Toni Rajala

Rate this topic

Really? Then explain how players like Franzen, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk were all still on the board when the Red Wings drafted them....

Franzen wasn't even drafted until he was 24. He showed very limited offensive upside at the higher levels in Sweden. He scored 12 and 10 goals in his first two NHL seasons. Was Franzen a stud? No. He wasn't even on anyone's radar at 18. He was a solid defensive-minded forward until age 28, when he finally began to find the net with regularity.

Lidstrom, you can't count. He was drafted in 1989 when the hockey landscape was entirely different. The European contingent in the NHL was much smaller, NHL salaries weren't what they are today, and you didn't really know if a European player was going to come to the NHL at all, and if he did, if he would stay for long. Teams were reluctant to use a high pick on a player they didn't have a solid chance of signing. Same thing would apply to Fedorov, Konstantinov, etc.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk were late bloomers. Skilled players but they weren't ready for the NHL until age 22, 23, and even then, they put up modest point totals in each of their first two seasons. Not until their third seasons, in their mid-20s, did they become top-end players. Datsyuk wasn't drafted until he was 20. Both were very skilled teens, but needed the extra time to develop and blossom into the stars they are today. Neither were "studs" at 18.

It's all a crapshoot. For every time Detroit gets lucky with a late-rounder, they swing and miss on half a dozen kids at least. Look at some of the unsigned picks and see how they never got any better, stayed in Europe, quit after a couple years in the minors, just plain didn't pan out.

can you link me to where you're keeping track?

Actually, I haven't found a good place, so I'm just going to nhl.com and watching the banner along the top. You can view each round or go back and look at previous ones. It doesn't update automatically, so you have to refresh. Also, I think it takes a few minutes to get up there, because there's a thread up here by the time I get the news. :D

The nice part is that if you see a name you don't know, you can click on it for the player profile.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk were late bloomers. Skilled players but they weren't ready for the NHL until age 22, 23, and even then, they put up modest point totals in each of their first two seasons. Not until their third seasons, in their mid-20s, did they become top-end players. Datsyuk wasn't drafted until he was 20. Both were very skilled teens, but needed the extra time to develop and blossom into the stars they are today. Neither were "studs" at 18.

I was calling Zetterberg a future superstar while he was still playing in Sweden...

Franzen wasn't even drafted until he was 24. He showed very limited offensive upside at the higher levels in Sweden. He scored 12 and 10 goals in his first two NHL seasons. Was Franzen a stud? No. He wasn't even on anyone's radar at 18. He was a solid defensive-minded forward until age 28, when he finally began to find the net with regularity.

Lidstrom, you can't count. He was drafted in 1989 when the hockey landscape was entirely different. The European contingent in the NHL was much smaller, NHL salaries weren't what they are today, and you didn't really know if a European player was going to come to the NHL at all, and if he did, if he would stay for long. Teams were reluctant to use a high pick on a player they didn't have a solid chance of signing. Same thing would apply to Fedorov, Konstantinov, etc.

It's all a crapshoot. For every time Detroit gets lucky with a late-rounder, they swing and miss on half a dozen kids at least. Look at some of the unsigned picks and see how they never got any better, stayed in Europe, quit after a couple years in the minors, just plain didn't pan out.

And now they are arguably the 3 most valuable players in the NHL. I'll take a late bloomer super star over a first round bust any day of the week! I guess everyone's different.

And now they are arguably the 3 most valuable players in the NHL. I'll take a late bloomer super star over a first round bust any day of the week! I guess everyone's different.

As would everyone else in the world. My point was, no scout or GM can be knocked for not drafting these guys at 18.

I was calling Zetterberg a future superstar while he was still playing in Sweden...

So were a lot of people, actually. The Peter Forsberg tag had been with Zetterberg for a long time.

But pat yourself on the back, please.