• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

Wings select Landon Ferraro at 32nd overall

Rate this topic

Is he going to play another year in the WHL or can he play in GR next year or what?

He either has to make the Wings now, or wait til' he's 20 to be able to be sent down to the Griffins. Expect him to stick it out in the WHL for a couple years until he meets the age requirement for CHL'rs. Now our European prospects can be signed and sent to the minors as long as they don't have CHL rights.

Good article from nhl dot com, about the sons of former players who were chosen in the '09 Draft:

Philip Samuelsson, Ryan Bourque, Landon Ferraro, Tyson Barrie and Marcus Foligno were among the sons who gave their famous fathers the thrill of a lifetime when they got to watch their sons get chosen on the second day of the 2009 Entry Draft.

I said it last night when I found out that the Wings were going to trade their first round pick to TB that the Wings were going to get Landon Ferraro. God I Love it when I'm right!!!! Now on a hockey note: I think this is a good pick and I can see Ferraro playing with the Wings in a few years. He will need some more development and I think the Wings will bring him up slowly and make him a better player when he steps into the NHL. I don't see him playing this coming season but maybe soon.

I like all the picks the Wings had this season. I was not at all suprised to see the Wings go Offense in this draft only drafting 2 D-Men and 3 Centers and 2 Right Wings. I know that Andrej Nestrasil can be a C and a RW and I think that is great to have such a versitle player. All thise picks are great and I can't wait to see these players develop into great NHLers.

Agreed- I love this kid and to get him at the 32nd spot is a steal. He was ranked to go as high as 12th...Good job Kenny!

Guest mindfly

Written by his dad, Ray Ferraro, 400-goal scorer in the nhl, nowdays TSN analyst.. nice read imo

It's finally over; literally years of dreaming, worrying and wondering.

My son, Landon, loves the game of hockey and has wanted nothing else since he has been able to articulate the thought.

The draft.

People have told him since he was the second overall pick in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft that he was going to be a first rounder.

On June 26, our family filed into the Bell Centre, Landon looking so good in his new suit and all of us in almost suspended animation. We were all guessing at which spot he might be attractive to teams. As we went by one team after another, in what can only be described as an excruciatingly slow pace, a couple of picks that seemed a little surprising left players on the board that I knew would push Landon down the pecking order.

Almost four hours later, the 30th pick was made and Landon and I were out of the arena in under five minutes, walking quietly back to the hotel.

Although many people had told Landon that it doesn't really matter where you are picked, about 45 players felt they had a chance to be selected in the first round. I know I would have been disappointed in not being selected, and he was. So were Stefan Elliott, Jeremy Morin, Drew Shore, among others. All good players, all top-end prospects, and all had to wait through one more long night.

This is one area where Landon is so much better equipped than I was. He takes a kick in the shins, can digest it and move on. That is what happened overnight.

We met in the morning to walk over to the arena, Landon wearing a different suit and hoping for a quick selection.

Sometimes you look back at an event and realize its significance only in retrospect. With the 29th pick Friday night, Detroit traded down three spots to No. 32. They acquired a third round pick to move down, and 10 minutes after getting into the arena Saturday morning, we heard words I had dreamt about many times watching my son chase his dream.

Ken Holland was at the microphone and said "with the 32nd pick, the Detroit Red Wings select, from the Western Hockey League's Red Deer Rebels - Landon Ferraro."

When I write those words, I still have tears in my eyes. The disappointment of 12 hours earlier washed away in an instant. When I saw my son on the draft floor in that beautiful Red Wings sweater, I don't think I can convey my pride. I thought of my dad, who was so proud of my career, and how proud he would be of his grandson. The countless hours of practice, hard work, disappointment and fun that had gone into this moment. It was just an unbelievable day to see my son drafted by such a terrific organization.

And now it's Sunday and it is all over. The next stage of work to chase the dream begins in the gym tomorrow at 10am.

Love that video. That kid sure doesn't keep his puck on his stick for very long. And he can pick a top corner pretty effectively too.

Plus he doesn't mind throwing a few dozen rights at another guy's face.

How did this kid even make it to the 32nd? I am very-very surprised nobody took him in the first 21-22 picks. And I thought for sure that Pens were going to take him.... but they wasted their pick on some mongoloid looking defenseman considered to have "poor hockey sense" that probably would have dropped down to the 3rd round anyhow.

Edited by Snazzy

How did this kid even make it to the 32nd? I am very-very surprised nobody took him in the first 21-22 picks. And I thought for sure that Pens were going to take him.... but they wasted their pick on some mongoloid looking defenseman considered to have "poor hockey sense" that probably would have dropped down to the 3rd round anyhow.

I was incredibly surprised to see Landon drop to 32nd. When it was 29th and he was still available, I was pretty pissed we traded our pick. But it all worked out for the best, he's an absolute steal at 32nd, alot of people are going to be mad they passed on him in the years coming, mark my words :thumbup:

thank god!

the wings will have some great pk lines in the years to come with obviously z and dats, helm and abby, now ferraro. apparently he has the same qualities as the little ball of hate father of his, and more... he's the guy i wanted when a few others were picked (kassian...), so here's to him hopefully kickin' ass with the black aces next year :beerbuddy:

That would be Pat Verbeek. Ray was the Big Ball of Hate.

Edited by Broken 16