• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

What Ken Holland Should Do

Rate this topic

To start, Kenny Holland should trade Hossa's right to Los Angeles for a 3rd Round Draft pick. Hossa is not going to be able to be re- signed. I'm sorry but nothing can be gained by further optimism. He's done as a Red Wing and it was fun to watch him play. Then he should re- sign Hudler, Leino, Samuelsson, and Downey to salaries similar to last season (if possible). That's it! It's simple, if he does all of that he'll have a team similar to last year- minus Hossa, but remember; Leino played great and chipped in offensively with 5 goals and 9 assists in only 13 regular season games. So just imagine what kind of production they could get out of him in 70+ games. Think about it. I know it's not the same 40 goals from Hossa but Detroit can get away with that because of their defense.

Holmstrom- Zetterberg- Franzen

Filppula- Datsyuk- Cleary

Hudler- Leino- Samuelsson

Malbty- Draper- Downey

Lidstrom- Rafalski

Stuart- Kronwall

Lilja- Lebda

Meech

Osgood

Howard

Then assuming Holland is able to re- sign Hudler, Leino, Samuelsson, and Downey to salaries similar to last season, He'll have roughly 1 million dollars in cap space to play with and sign a pair of extra forwards. I know most of you want Helm, Abdelkader, and Ericsson all in Detroit next year, but face it... as much as I do too... Holland and Co. would much rather have those guys playing 10- 15 minutes a night in Grand Rapids instead of 5 to 7 minutes (or even being a scratch) in Detroit.

Thoughts guys?

To start, Kenny Holland should trade Hossa's right to Los Angeles for a 3rd Round Draft pick. Hossa is not going to be able to be re- signed. I'm sorry but nothing can be gained by further optimism. He's done as a Red Wing and it was fun to watch him play. Then he should re- sign Hudler, Leino, Samuelsson, and Downey to salaries similar to last season (if possible). That's it! It's simple, if he does all of that he'll have a team similar to last year- minus Hossa, but remember; Leino played great and chipped in offensively with 5 goals and 9 assists in only 13 regular season games. So just imagine what kind of production they could get out of him in 70+ games. Think about it. I know it's not the same 40 goals from Hossa but Detroit can get away with that because of their defense.

Holmstrom- Zetterberg- Franzen

Filppula- Datsyuk- Cleary

Hudler- Leino- Samuelsson

Malbty- Draper- Downey

Lidstrom- Rafalski

Stuart- Kronwall

Lilja- Lebda

Meech

Osgood

Howard

Then assuming Holland is able to re- sign Hudler, Leino, Samuelsson, and Downey to salaries similar to last season, He'll have roughly 1 million dollars in cap space to play with and sign a pair of extra forwards. I know most of you want Helm, Abdelkader, and Ericsson all in Detroit next year, but face it... as much as I do too... Holland and Co. would much rather have those guys playing 10- 15 minutes a night in Grand Rapids instead of 5 to 7 minutes (or even being a scratch) in Detroit.

Thoughts guys?

Hudler for a similar salary as before? Not gonna happen. Downey won't be a full time Red Wing. Helm should have a full time spot and so will Ericsson. Holland might find a hard working player from training cap that gets a spot. But I don't foresee Hudler back.

helm is a lock too, downey wil be gone most likely, I say let sammy walk and who knows if lilja will even play again. Also I don't think leino could keep up that production during a whole season, he looked awful in the games he was in the playoffs

I would never presume to tell KH what he should do. For the sake of discussion I'd like to see Huds, Sammy, Leino, and Downey re-signed if possible. However I could see Helm and Leino doing well as substitutes should Hudler and Samuelsson leave.

Cleary - Zetterberg - Franzen

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Filppula

Leino - Helm - Hudler/Samuelsson

Maltby - Draper - Downey

Good center depth, good chemistry on the top lines, and a third line that could potentially do some damage. Fil, Mule, Clears would be a more than adequate second line.

One thing next season's Wings won't have to deal with is a flaky Osgood. He played well in the Final and ended up losing anyway. No hangover just extra motivation. That should give the offense some confidence and maybe we won't see the kind of sloppy crap we saw this year.

Never a bad day to be a Wings fan.

helm is a lock too, downey wil be gone most likely, I say let sammy walk and who knows if lilja will even play again. Also I don't think leino could keep up that production during a whole season, he looked awful in the games he was in the playoffs

Leino is a pure scorer, and in the playoffs he was on a defensive-minded line with the likes or Kirk Maltby. How many points did you really expect a rookie to get in the Stanley Cup Playoffs on a 4th line that rarely scores goals altogether? Think about it.

We saw what Ville can do earlier in the season when paired with proper line mates.

Huh? Ericsson, Leino and Helm will be on the Wings next year.

What is it with people and Downey. He is not going to be on the Wings. He has almost no hockey skills. He's an enforcer and that's it. We have no room to carry an enforcer and we don't need him.

Sammy is gone and Huds probably is also.

I think that Hossa is going to accept the Wings offer given that the alternative is to play in Los Angeles and have zero chance to ever have his name on the Cup.

Here is the best I can do. No Hossa, no Sammy, no Happy.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

Kris Draper $1,583,333

Ville Leino $1,000,000

Vernon Fiddler $950,000

Kirk Maltby $883,333

Tomas Kopecky $650,000

Darren Helm $599,444

Aaron Downey $500,000

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Andreas Lilja $1,250,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Brett Lebda $650,000

Derek Meech $483,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard $716,666

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (including bonuses)

ROSTER SIZE 23

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $56,570,653

CAP ROOM $229,347

CAP ROOM PER OPEN SPOT $0

mule - zetterberg - Maxim Afinogenov(1.5)/ Ales Kotalik (2.5)

flipp - datsyuk - Maxim Afinogenov(1.5)/ Ales Kotalik (2.5)

Cal Clutterbuck - helm - cleary

homer - draper - maltby

leino

lids - raffy

stuart - kronner

big E - lebda

meech

trade hossa's rights and lilja to the Wild for cal clutterbuck and a draft pick

let sammy and kopecky walk and hudler gets an offer sheet

Ales Kotalik and Maxim Afinogenovare both 20 goal scorers

cal clutterbuck is a great hitter

Helm gets a full start

What about Ferraro maybe he'll do well in training camp.

Unless he is of Yzerman caliber he won't play next season. I'd love to see him play in the bigs but... no way.

Sammy is gone and Huds probably is also.

I think that Hossa is going to accept the Wings offer given that the alternative is to play in Los Angeles and have zero chance to ever have his name on the Cup.

First I wouldn't put Hudler off the team yet. Lets wait there. Cause like I said in another thread if its around 2.5m from another team I think Holland tries to get something done to keep him. Anything more than that the Wings get at least a 1st and 3rd round pick. If he walks I'm fine with that. Sammy probably is cause he could probably get a 3-4 year deal at good money, more than here anyways.

And why would Hossa have to play in LA? Just cause the Wings trade his rights there? July 1st at noon he could still sign with anyone. Theres no rule that says he has to sign in LA just cause they can talk to him

Franzen - Hank - Cleary

Fil - Dats - Homer

- Helm -

- Draper - Maltby

Lids - Rafalski

Kronner - Stuart

Ericsson - Lebda

Meech - Lilja

That's what they are looking at right now. Not saying those are the lines just making a nice visual. Leino will probably be signed so that leaves 2-3 fowards they need to get on the team, either signing or calling up and probably have to trade a dman. What they will do to get it done? I dunno. and I'm not gonna begin to guess. I have no idea and no one here does. No matter what I'm sure people in here will question Ken Holland like they know better. It's funny too cause the Wings keep winning making the moves he thinks are right.

Edited by StevieY9802

trade lilja and meech, get oduya and bring up kolosov when needed

This isn't the year to trad Meech. He is exactly what this team needs this year. Someone to fill out the roster as a forward of defenseman for CHEAP. Next year it would be a different story when there is more cap room.

This isn't the year to trad Meech. He is exactly what this team needs this year. Someone to fill out the roster as a forward of defenseman for CHEAP. Next year it would be a different story when there is more cap room.

well if we dont resign hossa and trade lilja wed have more room, and kolosov is projected to replace liljia at about half price

well if we dont resign hossa and trade lilja wed have more room, and kolosov is projected to replace liljia at about half price

I agree on Lilja to an extent. We really missed him in the playoffs though. If Kolosov can kill penalties and block shots like Lilja, I'm all for it. I think that Lilja will play to start the season, but he could still be on LTIR and not count against the cap fo a while.

I agree on Lilja to an extent. We really missed him in the playoffs though. If Kolosov can kill penalties and block shots like Lilja, I'm all for it. I think that Lilja will play to start the season, but he could still be on LTIR and not count against the cap fo a while.

yeah thats true, i hope kolosov can replace him, i think at some point we will need one of the 2