• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I Miss Shanny

possible fill ins for leaving FA's

Rate this topic

okay i had an epiphony well searching the web and well on capgeek.com. Brendan Shanahan made 800,000.00 last year with a smaller cap hit because he signed half way through. reasons to sign shanny.

1. He is affordable

2. He is secondary scoring, can't get too much of that

3. Solid defensively( can penalty kill)

4. great in room and knows most of the guys already, no chem problem

5. fan fav put ass' in the stands

6. Knows how to win(thats what detroit does)

But most of all he deserves to end it all where it all happened for Shan the man

I'd love to have Shanny back and agree with most your points. For REALLY cheap I think he can bring a lot more than other guys can at that price.

First and foremost, it's a limited role on the 3rd or 4th line. He's a right-handed shot and still knows how to score, if we're desperate for a righty on the PP his shot is more accurate than Samuelsson's. Like you said he knows how to win and just having his presence on the team would be positive. He also brings a toughness element although he's far from a power forward nowadays but he still demands respect when he's on the ice and has shown he has the fighting ability to fight ANYBODY, if he feels necessary.

No commitments or promises, something cheap like he had last year, 1 year deal, unless we sign Hossa and are right against the cap I think it's a great idea.

Guest Crymson
okay i had an epiphony well searching the web and well on capgeek.com. Brendan Shanahan made 800,000.00 last year with a smaller cap hit because he signed half way through. reasons to sign shanny.

1. He is affordable

2. He is secondary scoring, can't get too much of that

3. Solid defensively( can penalty kill)

4. great in room and knows most of the guys already, no chem problem

5. fan fav put ass' in the stands

6. Knows how to win(thats what detroit does)

But most of all he deserves to end it all where it all happened for Shan the man

Shanny is old and washed up.

1. If he's affordable, then that's because he doesn't have much to offer. He certainly wouldn't fit in amongst the Wings` current system.

2. He can't score much anymore.

3. He is most certainly not gifted defensively. I don't recall him ever playing on the PK with the Wings.

4. The team is significantly different than it was several years ago.

5. Shanahan will not attract any fans who aren't already coming in these difficult economic times. The fact that he's not at all a flashy or powerful player anymore means he doesn't have much to offer in the way of actual excitement these days, and the novelty of having him around would wear off pretty quickly.

6. The Rangers and the Devils did not really do a ton; how does this qualify as him 'knowing how to win'? Where was he in the '06 playoffs? Bear in mind that he was better then than he is now, also.

To address your final point: were Shanahan to have wished to finish his career where he spent most of it, he could have made the decision not to shun the team in the first place. As was, him leaving was good, not bad, for the team.

A long story short: Shanahan is old and washed up; he was one-dimensional before, and now he has little left of his offensive flair or mean-streak. He won't be of any significant help to the team.

Like you said he knows how to win and just having his presence on the team would be positive. He also brings a toughness element although he's far from a power forward nowadays but he still demands respect when he's on the ice and has shown he has the fighting ability to fight ANYBODY, if he feels necessary.

.... five years ago. People age.

Edited by Crymson

1. If he's affordable, then that's because he doesn't have much to offer. He certainly wouldn't fit in amongst the Wings` current system.

3. He is most certainly not gifted defensively. I don't recall him ever playing on the PK with the Wings.

5. Shanahan will not attract any fans who aren't already coming in these difficult economic times. The fact that he's not at all a flashy or powerful player anymore means he doesn't have much to offer in the way of actual excitement these days, and the novelty of having him around would wear off pretty quickly.

6. The Rangers and the Devils did not really do a ton; how does this qualify as him 'knowing how to win'? Where was he in the '06 playoffs? Bear in mind that he was better then than he is now, also.

To address your final point: were Shanahan to have wished to finish his career where he spent most of it, he could have made the decision not to shun the team in the first place. As was, him leaving was good, not bad, for the team.

A long story short: Shanahan is old and washed up; he was one-dimensional before, and now he has little left of his offensive flair or mean-streak. He won't be of any significant help to the team.

see i think your expecting way to much out of him. hed be a 3rd fourth line guy doing what sammy did for half.and he is solid defensively you don't stay in the league at 40 being washed and old as you said and not being productive as you mentioned without being able to contribute something. that something must be Defense. and great point about us needing a right handed shot on the PP to potentially replace sammy

.... five years ago. People age.

so is Maltby, Draper, and Holmstrom but they still play limited roles on the team... Shanahan can score enough to play 3rd/4th line and he is still respected and like I said, if necessary, can fight.... he can play 4th line and possibly use his shot on the PP if we need it

he outscored Kopecky in half the amount of games and tied Datsyuk in playoff goals :banana:

Shanny said he was part of the past, not the future of the Wings.

Plus, I don't know how the guys in the lockerroom would respond to him coming back. I mean I am sure they would be all professional about it, but I think it'd be kinda weird.

Guest Crymson
see i think your expecting way to much out of him. hed be a 3rd fourth line guy doing what sammy did for half.and he is solid defensively you don't stay in the league at 40 being washed and old as you said and not being productive as you mentioned without being able to contribute something. that something must be Defense. and great point about us needing a right handed shot on the PP to potentially replace sammy

Shanahan is crap defensively. He always has been.

If we sign hossa that idea is long gone, however if we don't I wouldn't mind adding him to our team. He could play a wing on the second PP. (Filpulla, Shanny, Leino)