• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Wings to trade one defenseman

Rate this topic

Per Mlive

Holland said he wanted to see how Andreas Lilja, who missed the playoffs with a concussion, looks in training camp before making a decision on his defensive corps.

"I want to make sure Lilja's healthy," he said. "We're going to trade one defenseman. We're going to do nothing till we get to camp."

When do the Wings have to be under the cap?

In financial terms Meech makes the least sense to trade, it really doesn't free up much space. I also think Lebda played beyond his salary during the last leg of the season and into the postseason. Realistically though we only need one of them.

What happens if the guy we want to trade based on their performance is one of our NTC guys?

Maybe that means Hossa is gonna sign and we may have to trade Kronwall...

That would be.... crappy.

Nothing against Stuart, I like him, but I wish we could trade him. He costs just a little too much on a cap addled team like this.

trade kronwall is not gonna happen....

there is a long list of potentials before you get to kronwall.

he has been getting more and more reliable as he matures and his hit meter keeps some scorers from going all out against his line.

not gonna happen....(please!)

Maybe that means Hossa is gonna sign and we may have to trade Kronwall...

Unlikely, but I would rather have Hossa then Kronwall.

Our D still looks stellar.

Lidstrom-Ericcson

Stuart-Rafalski

Lilja-Lebda

Meech

Which ever way you want to shake up those lines they are still good.

Unlikely, but I would rather have Hossa then Kronwall.

Our D still looks stellar.

Lidstrom-Ericcson

Stuart-Rafalski

Lilja-Lebda

Meech

Which ever way you want to shake up those lines they are still good.

The players are good, the one managing them is not- Brad McCrimmon.

Well Holland is obviously talking about getting rid of Lidstrom here! :hehe:

But in all seriousness, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to trade away Lebda or Meech, unless KH is really thinking that they are going to be so very close to the Cap.

This type of statement by KH may be an indication of deals or signings already in place that we are unaware of at this time. I am sure all this trading a D man after camp will be making more sense in the coming days with all the drama to unfold.

I tend to over-analyze things but you would think if they had made a larger offer to Hossa and were going to dump someone like Kronwall that they would have asked for an answer by last week so they could have traded him over the weekend or before the 1st. The only realistic asset they could take back in trade is draft picks or prospects.

Dumping salary is one thing but giving 29 other teams the edge by trying to deal a player when every other team knows you have to dump salary doesn't make the best business sense. It's possible that teams would still line up to get him but why put yourselves in that position?

NTC?

True. But imo, Stuart would be the most likely player with a NTC to waive it. I think if the right team stepped up with a deal, he would take it. Since the day he was brought in, I always thought his stay would be brief.

Get rid of Rafalski, beg him to waive his NTC. He had a pretty bad play-offs, is paid a huge amount of money, and plays with Lidstrom. Any of the other guys could play with Nick and succeed.

Imagine if 6 million in cap space was magically off the books. Hossa or a equally good replacement could be had, Hudler could stay, Leino could stay, and you would still have 1-2 million in cap space left to upgrade any position if needed, (a goalie if needed).

Lidstrom- Ericcson

Stuart- Kronwall

Lebda, Lilja

Sounds pretty good to me. Wings spend more then any team on their defensemen. And why do that with the best defensive forwards in the game. Never made sense to me.

Edited by TheOwl

Get rid of Rafalski, beg him to waive his NTC. He had a pretty bad play-offs, is paid a huge amount of money, and plays with Lidstrom. Any of the other guys could play with Nick and succeed.

Imagine if 6 million in cap space was magically off the books. Hossa or a equally good replacement could be had, Hudler could stay, Leino could stay, and you would still have 1-2 million in cap space left to upgrade any position if needed, (a goalie if needed).

Lidstrom- Ericcson

Stuart- Kronwall

Lebda, Lilja

Sounds pretty good to me. Wings spend more then any team on their defensemen. And why do that with the best defensive forwards in the game. Never made sense to me.

rafs did have a fractured vertebrae <_< I mean i definitely wanted to punch him in the face after he let staal walk in shorthanded and watched ozzy choke on a poke check attempt, but he's been a great player and when he's healthy again will be our #2 best D man again.

Lidstrom- Ericcson

Stuart- Kronwall

Lebda, Lilja

Even Lids would look terrible if he played through what Rafalski has in the play offs.

I remember the same thing being said last year, and what happened? We lost a solid Dman in Quincey for nothing. I dont see why they think this time will be any different. You can't wait till everyone knows you absolutely have to move someone to fit under the cap.

True. But imo, Stuart would be the most likely player with a NTC to waive it. I think if the right team stepped up with a deal, he would take it. Since the day he was brought in, I always thought his stay would be brief.

I remember Stuart wanting a longer term contract so that he would have some security for his family and so that they wouldn't be moving all over the place. I doubt Stuart would wave his no trade clause and I wouldn't want him too. He was our second best defenseman in the playoffs, the best when Lids was out.

I remember the same thing being said last year, and what happened? We lost a solid Dman in Quincey for nothing. I dont see why they think this time will be any different. You can't wait till everyone knows you absolutely have to move someone to fit under the cap.

That's why you get rid of a player like Meech. In all honesty, how much is Meech really worth? You can afford to little in return.