• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Lets offer Draper and Maltby 5 year contracts!

Rate this topic

I think Holland should resign Good 'ol drpapes and Malts to 5 year deals, that way, we can trade some prospects and keep them on the team forever!!!! WE COULD CALL IT THE HERITAGE LINE

CUT THESE GREYBEARDS AND GET ON WITH IT FOR f***S SAKE

The Wings aren't going to get rid of Draper or Maltby. For the most obvious reason, they're both under contract, and fairly cheaply so given their roles & status with the team. ($1.53mil for Drapes, $883k for Malts).

One reason that's a little less obvious is this. People always love the idea that players generally take less to get here/stay here. The reason for that is the fabled loyalty of the Red Wings. If Holland "cuts" guys like Draper and Maltby, who have won 4 Stanley Cups with Detroit, and have been with the team for over 1000 games, then we will end up losing the loyalty advantage.

So take your pick. You want to field a competitive team. Do you "cut" Draper and Maltby, which would force us to overpay for any incoming talent (not to mention possibly have to overpay to keep our existing talent)? Or do you use the loyalty earned by hanging on to guys like Drapes and Malts, and help us put together a team built around guys who could easily make more money elsewhere?

I think Holland should resign Good 'ol drpapes and Malts to 5 year deals, that way, we can trade some prospects and keep them on the team forever!!!! WE COULD CALL IT THE HERITAGE LINE

words of a god ^^

AMEN BROTHER!! and its soon time for Homer to go aswell...

It's just the same discussion every year. THEY ARE UNDER CONTRACT, LONG TIME WINGS, NO TRADE CLAUSES, AND CHEAP.

WE ARE ALSO LOSING PLAYERS DUE TO THE CAP SO PROSPECTS WILL GET THEIR CHANCE ANYWAY. GET OVER IT

I'll dance a jig at my house when he plays his last game as a wing!

You do mean the guy who had Detroit in game 7 of the Finals to the last horn, right? The one who put up numbers good enough to win it if he'd had any support? Yeah, can't wait to lose that guy... :rolleyes:

Guest micah
It's just the same discussion every year. THEY ARE UNDER CONTRACT, LONG TIME WINGS, NO TRADE CLAUSES, AND CHEAP.

You forgot "and suck", at least in Maltby's case.

Draper stays or goes his cap hit stays, so yeah cut his ass and then still eat his salary even though the wings are in cap hell!

Good thinking Sparky, next time post before you puff puff pass, it is my rule and has stopped lots of dumb posts, well some still get through but nothing that quite holds this kind of beauty!

Friends don't let friends post stupid s*** without thinking it through first!

Losing:

Sammy

Hossa

Lebda\Meech (with Healthy Lilja

Kopecky

That is 4.

OH oh I have another fabulous idea, instead of just posting who to get rid of, find the replacement that fits under the cap that would be better and as cost effective (read cheap) as Draper and Malts?

Listen I am all for Malts hitting the road, but how?

You do mean the guy who had Detroit in game 7 of the Finals to the last horn, right? The one who put up numbers good enough to win it if he'd had any support? Yeah, can't wait to lose that guy... :rolleyes:

Yep that guy. The HOF uber awesome goalie that was the best that ever lived.

Yep that guy. The HOF uber awesome goalie that was the best that ever lived.

Find me a better and more clutch goalie at his salary (who is not on an entry-level contract).

Wings are lucky as hell Osgood was willing to sign for so little.

Find me a better and more clutch goalie at his salary (who is not on an entry-level contract).

Wings are lucky as hell Osgood was willing to sign for so little.

He's good value for that salary. That I will agree.

I'll dance a jig at my house when he plays his last game as a wing!

Of course you will because his last game is likely to be a game in which the team win the Cup thanks largely to his stellar post-season play.

Of course you will because his last game is likely to be a game in which the team win the Cup thanks largely to his stellar post-season play.

That would be awesome. 08 would have been the perfect opportunity.

After the first line I thought that you were serious Enforcer. Seriously, though Draper I'm cool with because he can still chip in and score from time to time; but face it- Malbty is passed his prime and you're right, it's time to move on.

One reason that's a little less obvious is this. People always love the idea that players generally take less to get here/stay here. The reason for that is the fabled loyalty of the Red Wings. If Holland "cuts" guys like Draper and Maltby, who have won 4 Stanley Cups with Detroit, and have been with the team for over 1000 games, then we will end up losing the loyalty advantage.

I agree, keeping those guys is what saves money on guys like Lids, Hank, Pav, and Mule. Everyone expects the players to do what is best for the team but the guys are much more willing to do that if they think at least to some degree the team cares what happens to them as well.

Draper stays or goes his cap hit stays, so yeah cut his ass and then still eat his salary even though the wings are in cap hell!

Good thinking Sparky, next time post before you puff puff pass, it is my rule and has stopped lots of dumb posts, well some still get through but nothing that quite holds this kind of beauty!

Yeah we lose nothing except a roster player who can hold his own. What a great idea for a team that is already going to lose players because of the cap - cut guys from the team, keep paying them, and have the salary count against the cap. It irks me when people have unrealistic options. I think we should have resigned Hossa even at $6-7M and that we should have signed Bouwmeester as well and maybe gotten Heatley for a 4th round pick. . . . BUT those things are not going to happen so it makes no sense to discuss options that are not possible (or at least not feasible). Those guys are counting against the cap and have tons of experience and loyalty to the Wings. Taking care of them is part of the Wing's culture everyone brags about.