• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

OFFICIAL: 12y, $62.4m makes Hossa a 'Hawk

Rate this topic

Because I don't need three houses and five cars?

I'm sure the pigs from Enron had the same mindset you got there too.

Good for you. But not everyone feels that way, especially not professional athletes who experience a first hand a culture that associates happiness with material possessions.

Hudler and Flip will be a year better, Leino and Helm are on board. Abdelkader will be the first guy up in case of injuries and will definitely be up for the playoffs.

Hossa is gone, perhaps Sammy; Homer's effectiveness is questionable.

Maltby and Draper have not been very good for several seasons, so that's doesn't divert from the status quo.

It's not really that different from a year ago or two years ago. In my mind the biggest bother is Homer's decline versus losing Hossa.

Homers decline is HUGE to this team. Leino I just do not have the faith in others seem to have. Who fills Hossa's spot on the top 2 lines? If it's one of the forementioned, then even more depth is lost. Draper and Maltby at least played a decent energy game the previous 2 seasons, not the case this past season. I see Helm as good depth, Huds as good depth but that all I see out of 6 spots. Now we have a fairly large hole in the top 6 spots.

I am not doom and gloom, but this does not add up well to me for the coming season. The year after this coming season I see with more optomism because of the likely retiree's and Lids contract coming up.... but this next year short of a huge recovery by Homer and some type of super speeder for Maltby and Drapes... well I just don't see it.

Don't blame Hossa for taking this deal. If Holland would have upped his offer a little bit more Hossa would be a wing, simple as that. 5.2 pr for Hossa is an awesome deal. Anyone who's thinks otherwise is a retard with a single digit IQ. I had no problem with him going to some fringe team for 7 million pr year but to go to chicage for 5.2. I think we Fooked this all up. Probably should have signed Kopecky too by the looks of it.

Edited by Pucks

Now are we comparing someone who makes 35K a year or someone who makes millions? I would hope at a certain point I could take a step back and see what's important when I'm already living comfortably.

Now it is Hossa's decision, but that doesn't mean I have to respect him for it.

If there's one thing we can infer about humans in different income brackets, it's that an executives and grocery baggers both feel like a 20% pay increase is a big deal. It's human nature.

Good for you. But not everyone feels that way, especially not professional athletes who experience a first hand a culture that associates happiness with material possessions.

I know you are right, but I guess I hold hockey players to a higher standard. Unfortunately, idealism doesn't hold water in the real world, so I guess I'll just stick to being dissapointed.

Because I don't need three houses and five cars?

I'm sure the pigs from Enron had the same mindset you got there too.

There is doing it legally and doing it illegally.

you don't become a millionaire by taking low ball offers your entire life... or turning down pay raises at work when they are thrown at you...

Are you a millionaire? You fall in the category of never going to see that much money in your life (most likely) so ergo you are right "YOU" don't need that. not them... See what i am getting at. You are holding a millionaire to the same standards of "regular" 50k person.... different worlds and standards completely.

Comfort for many is having things you are used too... having to give up many things you are used to can result in uncomfort.... it happens for them losing a third car or for me losing my cable. same effect prolly for both of us as i can live without cable and they can live without the car but its grander for the person making more.

Edited by OsGOD

Homers decline is HUGE to this team. Leino I just do not have the faith in others seem to have. Who fills Hossa's spot on the top 2 lines? If it's one of the forementioned, then even more depth is lost. Draper and Maltby at least played a decent energy game the previous 2 seasons, not the case this past season. I see Helm as good depth, Huds as good depth but that all I see out of 6 spots. Now we have a fairly large hole in the top 6 spots.

I am not doom and gloom, but this does not add up well to me for the coming season. The year after this coming season I see with more optomism because of the likely retiree's and Lids contract coming up.... but this next year short of a huge recovery by Homer and some type of super speeder for Maltby and Drapes... well I just don't see it.

Homer is scaring me as well. But yes the top 6 is gonna be iffy. The wings need to sign someone i feel. There has been talk about signing Sullivan on here, which i think would be good. they have a bit of room to do something with, not a ton but some, so hopefully kenny can work some magic

LOL - Dave Tallon is officially the worst GM in the NHL today.

Who's the biggest name in the free market??? Get him! 1 bajillion dollars!

This is not going to end well for them

:rolleyes:

Good luck Hoss - I don't know what about the WCFs told you that the Blackhawks were the team to go to.

+100000000000000000000000000000

Great for Hossa, tho it certainly sucks for the Wings. Hope fans don't boo him like they did in Pittsburgh. At least he'll get to finish his career with a contender, just sucks it will be a contender in the same effin' division as the Wings.

I know you are right, but I guess I hold hockey players to a higher standard.

Not really. An athlete is an athlete. A human being is a human being. There may be exceptions to the rules but they're called exceptions because they are rare.

If there's one thing we can infer about humans in different income brackets, it's that an executives and grocery baggers both feel like a 20% pay increase is a big deal. It's human nature.

I suppose, but I don't buy that myself. A grocery bagger will struggle to come up with rent money, an executive will be planning his next vacation to Tahiti.

Homer is scaring me as well. But yes the top 6 is gonna be iffy. The wings need to sign someone i feel. There has been talk about signing Sullivan on here, which i think would be good. they have a bit of room to do something with, not a ton but some, so hopefully kenny can work some magic

It's amazing how excited Wings fans were after Hossa signed here and then how disappointed they were in the end because he didn't perform when it really mattered to us.

Filppula and Hudler are definitely going to be better players this season than they were in 07-08. It's the opposite of the Draper/Maltby situation. Yeah Drapes and Malts are ready for the glue factory, but they weren't exactly critical pieces of the 07-08 championship (aside from Draper's faceoff skill).

I'm surprised you find Leino highly questionable when he was playing at 0.7ppg during his call-up this season. 25 year old players are expected to get better, not regress. Leino is a former MVP and was amazing in the AHL playoffs. He lead the AHL in scoring for two rounds, with 13 points in the first 6 games.

Leino's ready to step up.

I know you're obsessed with Hudler's size making him a 'liability at times in the playoffs', but he's consistently remained in the top 6 Wings in scoring both in the regular season AND the playoffs. His size sucks, but he doesn't need to be huge to be effective. Hudler is a critical part of our second PP, especially when Dats and Z are together on the 1st PP. The only forwards on this team with better hands than Hudler are Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Once again, Hudler's 25 years old and already hit 57pts and 23 goals.

As great as Helm is, people need to understand that he's not our savior when it comes to scoring. His playoff numbers, where he was at his very best, average up to 14 goals and 3 assists. That's 17 points. Those 14 goals look great, but are highly unlikely over an 82 game season considering how short Helm's scoring stretch was and the fact that he'll be facing his first full NHL season. Helm really impressed, but his role won't be as a top 6 forward. If he can put 10 goals and 5 assists up in his rookie season we can be very happy with that... that's a excellent rookie season for an energy forward. If we're lucky he might surprise us all and replace Sammy's production.

Now that Hossa's gone the Wings need Hudler's 23 goals and 57 points to stay in Detroit. If Leino has a 57 pt rookie season he'll be a Calder candidate, so we can't count on that.

Face it man, you'll have to either settle for Hudler or find the Wings a 6'2" 60 point guy who'll sign for less (good luck).

My questioning of Leino is not skill, it's that he seems to like to skate around the boards with the puck alot, eventually loosing it maybe that will change and I hope it does. Flip I see as a great guy to gain the zone and setup plays, but he needs 2 good wingers and we have the Mule then ????. I see us needing Big Bodies in front of the net especially with Homer fading, Cleary is great but no Homer. Helm I see as a grinder and not a top 6 guy, pure ball of energy. I never said to get rid of Huds, maybe the size liability speaks to the teams lack of grinding players and not so much meant to knock Huds and like I said as a depth guy I think he is great depending on what they pay.

Just as a side note, consider:

Jul 1, 2:08PM Hossa, Marian Detroit Chicago $62.4M 12 $5.23M

Apr 11, 6:13PM Franzen, Johan Detroit Detroit $43.5M 11 $3.95M

For players of the same age, with relative stats over the last couple of years (yes Franzen didn't get the # of goals regular season that Hossa did, but Franzen is awesome in the playoffs), which deal would you prefer?

It starts to emphasize either:

- Franzen took a great discount

- Chicago overpaying for Hossa

Don't blame Hossa for taking this deal. If Holland would have upped his offer a little bit more Hossa would be a wing, simple as that. 5.2 pr for Hossa is an awesome deal. Anyone who's thinks otherwise is a retard with a single digit IQ. I had no problem with him going to some fringe team for 7 million pr year but to go to chicage for 5.2. I think we Fooked this all up. Probably should have signed Kopecky too by the looks of it.

But Kenny would have had to re-sign Kopecky ( I bet Hossa was stipulating package deal all the way) and that wasn't about to happen.

Im sure we all knew he was leaving, honestly i dont care, spend that money on someone more useful and determined (grittier).

Only part i dont like is that he stays in our division.

Sullivan would be a decent addition...

There is doing it legally and doing it illegally.

you don't become a millionaire by taking low ball offers your entire life... or turning down pay raises at work when they are thrown at you...

Are you a millionaire? You fall in the category of never going to see that much money in your life (most likely) so ergo you are right "YOU" don't need that. not them... See what i am getting at. You are holding a millionaire to the same standards of "regular" 50k person.... different worlds and standards completely.

Different worlds indeed, and I know what you are saying.

In my world, I see a person who was offered 40 million dollars but wanted 12 more. I see it, and it makes me sick.

With Homer the way he is it's true that the Wings may be at their weakest since 2008, which still means a Cup-worthy roster. :P

The top six isn't in any trouble at all, in my opinion. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Flip, Hudler, Cleary are all good to great players, and an enviable top six compared to most teams around the league. Granted, that's probably not how the top two lines will shake out with all the mixing and matching that goes on, but those are probably our best six forwards.

If Sammy goes and the Wings have to scrounge together a bottom six of Homer, Draper, Maltby, Helm, Leino, and minimum wage jobber, that's where our concern should lie. The Wings will lose their less-than-conventional ability to ice three bonafide scoring lines.

What a ridiculous post, on so many levels.

Sammy isn't even re-signing let alone coming back for 10 years.

lol .. what is so ridiculous? holland lost hossa, and could not offer sammy and hudler contracts.. now that hossa is gone he will turn his attention to signing them two for the price of 1. you honestly see s***head sammuelsson leaving the wings team? i sure dont but i pray im wrong!