• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

OFFICIAL: 12y, $62.4m makes Hossa a 'Hawk

Rate this topic

Damn!!! I really wanted Hossa to come back but knew it was a long shot with our limited cap space. I can't blame him for signing with the Hawks. He took less than market value to be a Wing, and can't be expected to settle for less money for the remainder of his career. He deserves to be paid what he's worth. If anything the Hawks got him at a pretty cheap price, but I think the main thing he wanted was a long year deal.

Good luck Marian! But not too much luck, especially versus the Wings. Hope the Joe Louis crowd is smart and classy enough not to boo him.

Edited by TheUltimateWingsFan

After seeing the cap numbers and reading countless articles over the last few weeks about how Holland and Hossa were not close to a contract, reality set in. I was comfortable and felt no sour grapes that Hossa would not be back with this team. But today, %#%$, after hearing that both Hossa and Kopecky signed with the division rival Blackhawks the first thought in my head was "those f##king weasels!"

This is nothing like the Pens fans who were bitter at Hossa for leaving, because Hossa didn't go to Philly he went to an entirely different conference. This IMO is kind of a slap in the face. By their actions are Hossa and Kopecky saying the Wings are weak? That with their new team they can beat the Wings on a regular basis? Why else would they both choose to play their former team 8 times a season?

Well well... after 6 weeks of hearing how Pens fans should just chill about Hossa, we have our first "wow did Hossa screw us!" entry.

Welcome to our world.

"By his actions" he says something? How's that compared to ACTUALLY saying something, like Hossa did with his whole "best shop to win the Cup with Detroit" thing, on his way out the door with the Pens? Imagine if Hossa had said something like "well I'm off to Chicago, they've got the best shot to reach the finals next year." If you think you're cheesed off now, well... just imagine how your blood would be boiling.

Anyway, be happy -- Hossa signing with Chicago means they have no chance to win the Cup next year.

Marian Hossa -- he'll screw ya, and he'll leave ya. And won't even buy ya dinner.

Well well... after 6 weeks of hearing how Pens fans should just chill about Hossa, we have our first "wow did Hossa screw us!" entry.

Welcome to our world.

"By his actions" he says something? How's that compared to ACTUALLY saying something, like Hossa did with his whole "best shop to win the Cup with Detroit" thing, on his way out the door with the Pens? Imagine if Hossa had said something like "well I'm off to Chicago, they've got the best shot to reach the finals next year." If you think you're cheesed off now, well... just imagine how your blood would be boiling.

Anyway, be happy -- Hossa signing with Chicago means they have no chance to win the Cup next year.

Marian Hossa -- he'll screw ya, and he'll leave ya. And won't even buy ya dinner.

Like I said this is a different situation. Hossa didn't leave the Pens and go to a rival team and a lesser one at that in Philly where Pens fans would have had to see him 8 times during the regular season. It's just not the same thing.

Welcome to our world.

:thumbup:

Night, night Hossa!

Welcome to our world.

Hmm... In terms of percentages, I'd say 20% are kicking and screaming, 55% wish him luck and 25% are actually kind of happy he left.

I'm actually a little happy he left. What makes the team so great above all else is how well they fit in with one another. He just didn't fit in with Datsyuk or Zetterberg, who are like a carbon atom, they fit with many. Same goes with your boy Malkin. It was frustrating to watch.

Welcome to our world.

I'm glad he left but didn't want him to stay for more than the year contract he had from the beginning. I would rather have depth instead of Hossa/no cap space left.

I don't have any ill-will towards him as he was just a rental here the same as he was for the Pens.

This is strange. On the one hand, I knew that Hossa was only here for a year, and there was a good chance he would leave at the end of the year. But on the other hand, I really felt like he would stay. To make matters worse, he goes to a huge rival. I know in my head that he was leaving, but in my heart I feel used, dumped, and now have to watch him go out with my best friend. Odd feelings.

This is strange. On the one hand, I knew that Hossa was only here for a year, and there was a good chance he would leave at the end of the year. But on the other hand, I really felt like he would stay. To make matters worse, he goes to a huge rival. I know in my head that he was leaving, but in my heart I feel used, dumped, and now have to watch him go out with my best friend. Odd feelings.

I'm pretty indifferent about Hossa leaving. This leaves the Wings in better position next off season when the cap drops and we have some contracts coming off of the books.

Blackhawks just created a lot of cap problems following this coming season. Their chance at a Cup is this coming season.

Edited by The Big Red Machine

Dale Tallon is a moron as long as Kane/Toews/Keith remain unsigned.

This is quite a deal. Nobody was expecting this. At least it mitigates resigning Havlat, who, despite what you Wings fans might say, has been money this past year.

This is quite a deal. Nobody was expecting this. At least it mitigates resigning Havlat, who, despite what you Wings fans might say, has been money this past year.

Yeah for sure you're getting a top quality player, but its a big risk starting this time next year with the amount of unsigned talent.

Will be interesting to see the next year progress for you guys, as all I can think is that this year they are making a very serious push for the cup.

Will they even have the cap space to sign all 3? The Hawks might be able to unload Huet, but Campbell's contract seems almost impossible to off load.

Bad move by Chicago they have 35 million tied to 9 players next year. thatg leaves them about 20 million to sign 12 players, including Kane, Toews, and Keith...plus versteeg is an RFA this year....

Good number on Hossa but bad planning for the future by Chicago

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but here's my take on the KKT thing:

Kane - he's been marketed a lot around the city.

Toews - captain, heart and soul, no way you lose this guy if you already have him.

Keith - the most important player to keep of the 3.

The Hawks have very, very compelling reasons to keep all 3 of them. The consensus among the fans I've talked to is that Kane is the one you have to let go, if you're forced to choose. He is a very, very good player, but you really need Toews and Keith more.

Not to mention all the RFA's...Versteeg will probably go off elsewhere. Byfuglien, too, maybe. I'll bet VAN and CGY are looking for his services after the playoffs this year...

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but here's my take on the KKT thing:

Kane - he's been marketed a lot around the city.

Toews - captain, heart and soul, no way you lose this guy if you already have him.

Keith - the most important player to keep of the 3.

The Hawks have very, very compelling reasons to keep all 3 of them. The consensus among the fans I've talked to is that Kane is the one you have to let go, if you're forced to choose. He is a very, very good player, but you really need Toews and Keith more.

Not to mention all the RFA's...Versteeg will probably go off elsewhere. Byfuglien, too, maybe. I'll bet VAN and CGY are looking for his services after the playoffs this year...

You may be on to something (as oppossed to on something? :blink: ). In my limited observation of Patty Kane, he seems to be a bit goofy "a la" Danny Heatly. Would you say that could be an accurate assesment or not necessarily?

Are you thinking Hossa is here to replace Kane for the future?

Anyone have video of Tallon's press conference?

Hawks GM Dale Tallon claims that signing Red Wings' Hossa makes no dent in team's future plans...And Hossa says he digs Chicago

Posted by George James Malik July 01, 2009 17:28PM

Chicago Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon made a curious comment about signing Marian Hossa to a massive 12-year deal at an average cap hit of $5.2 million per season, as The Sporting News's Craig Custance (via Kukla's Korner) noted:

July 1, Craig Custance's Twitter account: "This deal did not affect our core moving forward, that was appealing to us."

If not affecting the fact that Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, and Duncan Keith will all qualify for big-money deals next season, sure.

Update 5:34 PM: Here's Custance's full report:

July 1, The Sporting News: Chicago GM Dale Tallon just addressed the media in Chicago about the Marian Hossa signing. And despite what we've all speculated, that Hossa's deal might complicate things in the future regarding signing Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith to long-term deals, Tallon said it's a non-issue.

He said one of the benefits of agreeing to the long-term deal with Hossa was that the annual cap number is reasonable enough (just over $5 million) to take care of the players he's identified as Chicago's core.

"The type of contract that Marian has agreed to do will not influence our core," Tallon said. "Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith and whoever we deem is the core... this deal did not affect our core moving forward."

After briefly pursuing Hossa during free agency last year, Tallon said the Blackhawks' success this year made him a realistic target. Hossa was impressed with the Winter Classic, the city and sellout crowds. And Chicago's ability to win in the future. Now, Tallon said, Hossa's looking forward to being a leader on a young team.

And one added bonus - Talon just raided Chicago's biggest rival, signing the leading goal-scorer away from the Red Wings.

"Never thought of that," Tallon said smiling.

You may be on to something (as oppossed to on something? :blink: ). In my limited observation of Patty Kane, he seems to be a bit goofy "a la" Danny Heatly. Would you say that could be an accurate assesment or not necessarily?

Are you thinking Hossa is here to replace Kane for the future?

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. It sure wouldn't hurt to keep them all, but it will be pretty difficult to do (if the Hawks brass can do it, they're a bunch of geniuses).

Nah, Kane is nowhere like a Heatley debacle. Heatley just seems kind of like a *****. Kane looks like he might be a bit more willing to play into a system. He's still working on defense (at least he'd better work on his defense), but his offensive skills are simple amazing for a 20 year old.

Hossa certainly ameliorated losing Kane, if it comes to that. But he's not really a replacement.

hate to say this, but Hossa came to Detroit to win a Cup. He didn't perform to his own expectations, never mind ours, in most cases. I believe he may think the Hawks have a better chance than the Wings at coming out on top of the heap next Spring.

Don't shoot the messenger. The Wings didn't bring it in the end and the Pens took it to them. I am more than aware that half the team was injured, but facts are facts. A healthy Wings bench would have stomped the Pens, again. But that was then and this is now.

I wish Marian only the best, but I hope the Hawks lose early in the playoffs, or we're all going to be upset if Hossa is the one who leads them to the Cup. :unsure: