• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

All "stay calm" threads merged

Rate this topic

The wings will announce at least one signing today, even if its Hudler.

I doubt it. Hudler is safe for a few days, and even if someone makes him an offer, Wings could match it or take the picks.

I have a bad feeling Holland will make no moves, and simply move up GR guys to fill the roles. Helm, Abby, Leino, Howard, and perhaps Hudler. Wings need some blood from outside the system, even if it's 4th line role. Any combination of what the Wings have won't be enough, they need a moderate replacement for Hossa.

I doubt it. Hudler is safe for a few days, and even if someone makes him an offer, Wings could match it or take the picks.

I have a bad feeling Holland will make no moves, and simply move up GR guys to fill the roles. Helm, Abby, Leino, Howard, and perhaps Hudler. Wings need some blood from outside the system, even if it's 4th line role. Any combination of what the Wings have won't be enough, they need a moderate replacement for Hossa.

Personally, I don't think Abby will be on the Wings next year. I think he spends one more year in Grand Rapids.

Leino is gonan be a 40 goal scorer now?

Also, Helm will be nothing more then a 3rd liner in his career.

I think any reasonable person wouldn't expect Leino to score 40 goals. But those same people were probably saying the same thing about Zetterberg at one point, and yet he's done it. I think Leino is just a late bloomer like Franzen.

Look for Leino to be a good goal scorer. 2x as good as Samuelsson? Yes, if he only scores 20 goals and isn't a defensive zone liability!

As for Helm, on a team with as much depth as the Wings have on the first two lines, you're probably right. He's "just" a 3rd liner. But, the kid has wheels and a good shot. I think he'll improve and be another Selke candidate someday, like Draper.

~ Z

I keep hearing people saying that with signing hudler and leino, that even with hossa and kopy gone we are gonna be against the cap. Exactly how much are people expecting us to pay hudler and a relative rookie to the nhl?

I'm the minority here, but I don't want Hudler back. But we'll soon see if Holland and I are on the same page.

I'm the minority here, but I don't want Hudler back. But we'll soon see if Holland and I are on the same page.

Same page? I don't think that you and Holland are reading the same book.

Hudler comes back at a reasonable price......2M - 2.25M/yr. (Unless someone throws ridiculous $$$ at him and Kenny takes the compensation instead.)

We've only got around 3M in cap space right now.......

MLive Blog Snapshots:

TSN's McGuire: Ville Leino stayed with the Red Wings despite offers to play in Russia

Posted by George James Malik July 01, 2009 15:45PM

The TSN crew, who you can watch on NHL.com between now and 6 PM, rambled a bit about the Red Wings in light of the Chicago Blackhawks' signing of Marian Hossa, and Pierre McGuire stated that Ville Leino received several enticing offers to play in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League last year, but he chose to stay with the Grand Rapids Griffins, and will parlay that loyalty into a spot with the Red Wings this upcoming season.

If this is true doesn't that leave a little more money for Holland to play with....I'm not "schooled" yet on how the non-roster spot players affect the cap just yet.....but Im getting there....so I am open to "teachings" from any of you out there...

NM...I just re-read it, and saw that was last year...but I am still open for someone telling me how the guys in Grand Rapids pay affects the cap...Thanks!

Edited by HudlerFanatic

Same page? I don't think that you and Holland are reading the same book.

Hudler comes back at a reasonable price......2M - 2.25M/yr. (Unless someone throws ridiculous $$$ at him and Kenny takes the compensation instead.)

We've only got around 3M in cap space right now.......

Like I said, we shall soon see....

GOOD:

Leino is playing instead of Kopecky.

Leino would be wasted on the fourth line with draper and maltby, needs to be higher so his offensive skills are utilized. Kopecky was fine on the fourth line (did nothing great but wasnt much of a liability either), but it would be a waste if Leino were there.

Leino would be wasted on the fourth line with draper and maltby, needs to be higher so his offensive skills are utilized. Kopecky was fine on the fourth line (did nothing great but wasnt much of a liability either), but it would be a waste if Leino were there.

Leino will likely play on the third line w/ Hudler & Helm.

Abby will likely play on the 4th line.

My 2 cents........

Thats the way I've always seen it. he's not an energy/checker/grinder thats needed on the 4rth line. he's a finesse, playmaker with some upside finish to him.

While nobody is going to step in and score Hossa's 40 goals this coming season, his minutes will get divided up and goals will come from there. Maybe not as many, maybe so, we shall see.

I hope its mandatory that Datsyuk spend time each week teaching Helm how to finish, just as drake taught Dats how to hit. :ph34r: (Kenny points to Helm and says to Pavel, "Pay it forward")

well the good news is, for the most part, the guys most of us would like to see here are still available. The onlyones that are gone are Lappy & Orr. Moen is still there, Neil, Fiddler, etc... that being said Holland will give Hudler a huge raise and we'll be done. And that will spell our demise. Does anyone know what Havlat wants? We can give him 10 years...

I keep hearing people saying that with signing hudler and leino, that even with hossa and kopy gone we are gonna be against the cap. Exactly how much are people expecting us to pay hudler and a relative rookie to the nhl?

If they are both signed, say, for what they are making now....(doubtful) that is only roughly $1.9M towards the $3.2 leaving $1.4M.....so even IF Leino was signed for $1M & Hudler for $1.8M that leaves still $1.8 left to play around with....right?

If either Leino or Huds gets a short length contract 2-3 years....this year may be a lower pay (then mentioned above) and raise in 10/11 after seeing woh of the 10/11 UFA & RFA leave or don't leave, trade, etc...... (of roster players)

Holmstrom $2,250,000

Maltby $883,333

Helm-RFA- $599,444

Lidstrom $7,450,000

Lilja $1,250,000

Lebda $650,000

Meech-RFA -$483,333

In 10/11 that will be approximately $13.5M dollars that those players are being payed for the 09/10 season.......

(now I know not all these players will leave...I'm just stating it for "cap expenses")

Plus there is still the one defensmen that is supposed to be traded later on.....

Holland has something in the works....just what it is....I don't think any of us could figure it out before it's stated in black and white. But yes, he know what he is doing......I'm keepin' the faith in him....

well the good news is, for the most part, the guys most of us would like to see here are still available. The onlyones that are gone are Lappy & Orr. Moen is still there, Neil, Fiddler, etc... that being said Holland will give Hudler a huge raise and we'll be done. And that will spell our demise. Does anyone know what Havlat wants? We can give him 10 years...

you want to sign one of the most injury prone players in the league 10 years? And even signing him that long I can't imagine we'd get him for a cap hit of less than 5 mil, which would mean we'd have to shed some salary.

You are silly. "Our demise"? Having pretty much the exact same team that won the cup just a little over a year ago is our demise?

You know after all the damn "Hudler Love" comments you throw out there...it almost seems like you are bitter towards those that see a hockey player in the guy. I highly doubt someone that had 57 points last year, that is 25yrs old would be the Wing's "demise"...I've been replying to threads w/ out even saying the dude's name for the simple fact that I get reemed for it every time......I give credit where credit is due......it's almost like you have your own "short-man" syndrome and are mad because you couldn't be the hockey player he is now back in your day......Huge raise?! I think a lot of people are in agreement that he deserves something....and that he is worth more then he will get from Holland, but we are trying to be realistic.....unlike you....HAVLAT IS TOO MUCH MONEY -- seriously---$3.4 MIL CAP SPACE that's it!

Sometimes sarchasim, (if that's what it is you are doing) has no place on days like these....

and for your info......Neil has a $2.2 offer on the table...so there...if you'd keep up and reserach instead of Hudler bashing and insulting, maybe you'd know that.

We still have a near-100pt Selke winner.

We still have a PPG Selke-calibur Conn-Smythe winner.

We still have the best defenseman of this generation.

We still have a guy signed at 3.9m that could come close to or even surpass 40 goals.

We still have a 1.4m goaltender that plays like a guy paid three times that when it matters.

We still have the top coaching staff in the NHL.

We have three or four rookies that will finally get regular time after being good enough to crack our playoff roster.

We finally get to see if the guy we've been developing for four years can become our next franchise goaltender.

Without an INSANE amount of offensive talent, we can try to get back to the 2007/08 grinding defensive style.

We have a team infused with old and new talent that will be twice as hungry for the cup next year.

2009/10 is going to be an exciting season. Go Wings!

Edited by digitaljohn88

I always felt with or without Hossa, Wings were in a win-win situation. So get Hudler signed and offer a 1 yr deal to Sammy. It's still the same team that won in 2008 minus Drake.

Yes, Chicago looks better, but they did nothing to help their weak defense. Also, they lost the goalie that got them to the WCF.

Chi may challenge us a bit more for the Central, but in the end, Detroit wins the division and has a more successful post-season than Chi. Then the Chi brain trusts can start worrying about who and how they are going to pay all the RFA's due a significant raise over the next 2 years.

Meanwhile, Wings free up $10M to re-sign Lidstrom and go after additional tools to fill out a successful team.

Go Wings!

I'm actually quite excited. While we're not going to have as strong of a team as we did last year at least on paper, we still have plenty to be positive about with this team. On top of that, the West has really beefed up on a lot of fronts which should make for a much more entertaining regular season and playoffs. Hopefully our D stays tight all season and Osgood stays true to his word and doesn't have a repeat regular season performance. If we can manage that, we'll win a lot of games. And it'll be great to finally see what some of these young kids can do with a full season. I can't wait to have Ericson, Helm and Leino up with the club for the full season. I'm not expecting too much from them, but they'll definitely add a spark and freshness to a team that always seems to just avoid feeling a bit stale. It'll be a good one especially for the West.