• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Roy

Why I am a wings fan & why the wings are better than the rest of t

Rate this topic

I have been a wingns fan for over 25 years. In recent times, keeping up with the rosters of our favorite teams has been a challenge. Teams and fans have this win now, and forget about tomorrow mentality. What has made the red wings so special is that players have a chance to stay here for their entire careers like Yzerman, Lidstrom, Holstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, etc. players have the chance to leave and come back, like Osgood, Kocur, McCarty, and others have the chance to find a home, and stay 15+ years, Draper, Maltby, etc. With the wings, I can follow a player and watch them grow and transform from an offensive speedster like Yzerman to a masterful defender in his later years...from a checker like Maltby to a grizzled vet. We know that they players with the wings are part of the community and part of the red wings famliy. If you put in the work, the wings fans respect you. It takes a rare breed to be a red wing for life...Fedorov, Hossa, etc. didn't have what it takes...

How many tigers, pistons, and lions have done this? Trammell, Whitaker, Dumars, Isiah...that was 15 years ago. Barry...he quit early. It only happens with the red wings. Players that stay in one city their career are special, and far and few between in the NHL these days...Brodeur, Sakic...not too many out there these days that are synonomus with their teams. In the NBA...who can keep up with Shaq's team hopping. Very few "legends" team hop like Hossa or Shaq.

While players like Hossa, Bourque, etc. may have success or ride someone else coattails to the cup (or try to in Hossa's case), they leave no legacy. Borque could not get it done in Boston, so he begged his way to a trade (like Chelios to win a cup). They are just a replaceable part in the machine that is the NHL. In 5 years, will Hossa or Chelios even be relevant?

The wings have a plan, and with 6 western conference championships cups since 1995, and 4 stanley cups, I will not argue with that plan.

The blackhawks can have Hossa and his buddy Glass Jaw! I like Cheli, but he needs to hang 'em up!!!

Go wings! Win the cup in 2010 the old fashion way with home grown talent.

Well said, I'm actually really optimistic about next season.

How many teams have been able to keep their core group of players following a cup championship and another finals appearance? We have come a long way with essentially the same group of guys getting it done.

In 2008 I really had a feeling about the team, they were so motivated throughout the regular season after being burned by Anaheim in the playoffs. Even throughout massive injuries they still went on to capture the President's trophy.

I want to see that hunger again this season, and not the sloppiness that was last year.

Maybe having Hossa around made the Wings feel a little cockier then they should of been, but I just hope this regular season sparks more effort. Howard, this is your time to shine.