• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingslionstigers

Wings will be a better team in 09/10

Rate this topic

Next year we will have a better team than last season. Stop dwelling on Hossa and whatever else and read my post.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Cleary

Hudler - Filppula - Franzen

Abdelkader - Helm - Leino

Holmstrom - Draper - FA

1st line: With the departure of Hossa i think its safe to say Z and D will be reunited for good. Lets put things into perspective shall we? Flip WILL be playing on the 2nd line. So we no longer need to break Z/D apart to pivet the second line and Helm will be centering the 3rd line.. It only makes sense. So i give line 1 a +1 going into next season.

2nd line: In the end i think you will see Hudler in a Wings uniform next season. Could be wrong but if im right.. Now that we are done tossing around the entire team trying to find line mates that gel with Hossa we can settle in and get back into rhythm. Flip played with under skilled players all season long and he didn't perform. Look what happened when he got to play with talent during the playoff run. Im thinking Flip and Franzen both have season highs coming. Flip is no slouch, we have a VERY strong 2nd line. Defensively its just as strong as last season. The offense will only take a minor hit. In the end i believe this line will be just as solid as last seasons line 1b. I give this line an =

3rd line: Although we loose Flip which is not a good thing for line 3. Don't worry this line is redefined. Its no longer the "remaining depth line." This line will have a defined purpose; fast, physical, and energy. This is what our team needs. All 3 of these players are young on the same page and want to prove themselves. This line will have the mind set "we want to contribute, we want to be a part of this team lets show these guys what we got." Loosing Sammy is a great thing. He fit no role on any one of our lines. He was just depth we could afford to have which isn't always a good thing. After a full season under this lines belt I give this line a +2 over last seasons line 3 come playoffs.

4th line: I read something about Holland looking for a grinder. I really hope thats what happens. The only thing we can say about this line is that it can't get any worse. Lets just pray we get the guy we are looking for...

Guys we are in real good shape going into next season. That said if things pan out and we get to keep Hudler. I'm a strong believer that we had way to much talent for our own good last year. We had depth that didn't have a purpose. We had 2nd line guys playing 3rd line roles. Our entire team was a 2 line show which isn't good for the guys left out spirits.

Going into next season we have 2 fantastic scoring lines that can play 2 way hockey. We have a fast energetic 3rd line wanting to prove themselves, wanting to be apart and contribute to this team. Punishing opponents bodies. Our defense is fantastic and Ericsson will only be that much better come playoffs. We have a young goalie wanting to desperately prove himself. Whats not to like about the feel of this team? Everythings in order and everybody has a role.

Comment

Next year we will have a better team than last season. Stop dwelling on Hossa and whatever else and read my post.

Holmstrom - Draper - FA

1st line: With the departure of Hossa i think its safe to say Z and D will be reunited for good. Lets put things into perspective shall we? Flip WILL be playing on the 2nd line. So we no longer need to break Z/D apart to pivet the second line and Helm will be centering the 3rd line.. It only makes sense. So i give line 1 a +1 going into next season.

2nd line: In the end i think you will see Hudler in a Wings uniform next season. Could be wrong but if im right.. Now that we are done tossing around the entire team trying to find line mates that gel with Hossa we can settle in and get back into rhythm. Flip played with under skilled players all season long and he didn't perform. Look what happened when he got to play with talent during the playoff run. Im thinking Flip and Franzen both have season highs coming. Flip is no slouch, we have a VERY strong 2nd line. Defensively its just as strong as last season. The offense will only take a minor hit. In the end i believe this line will be just as solid as last seasons line 1b. I give this line an =

3rd line: Although we loose Flip which is not a good thing for line 3. Don't worry this line is redefined. Its no longer the "remaining depth line." This line will have a defined purpose; fast, physical, and energy. This is what our team needs. All 3 of these players are young on the same page and want to prove themselves. This line will have the mind set "we want to contribute, we want to be a part of this team lets show these guys what we got." Loosing Sammy is a great thing. He fit no role on any one of our lines. He was just depth we could afford to have which isn't always a good thing. After a full season under this lines belt I give this line a +2 over last seasons line 3 come playoffs.

4th line: I read something about Holland looking for a grinder. I really hope thats what happens. The only thing we can say about this line is that it can't get any worse. Lets just pray we get the guy we are looking for...

Guys we are in real good shape going into next season. That said if things pan out and we get to keep Hudler. I'm a strong believer that we had way to much talent for our own good last year. We had depth that didn't have a purpose. We had 2nd line guys playing 3rd line roles. Our entire team was a 2 line show which isn't good for the guys left out spirits.

Going into next season we have 2 fantastic scoring lines that can play 2 way hockey. We have a fast energetic 3rd line wanting to prove themselves, wanting to be apart and contribute to this team. Punishing opponents bodies. Our defense is fantastic and Ericsson will only be that much better come playoffs. We have a young goalie wanting to desperately prove himself. Whats not to like about the feel of this team? Everythings in order and everybody has a role.

Comment

You're assuming Filps, Draper and Homer have a rebound year. You're also assuming Abdelkader, Leino and Helm will have an awesome breakout year. If these things don't happen, well......we're gonna hurt a bit.

Holmstrom - Draper - FA

Comment

If you plug your roster here: Cap calculator, you'll see that even assuming a minimum wage FA and that Hudler and Leino get very modest raises , your lineup will be OVER the cap. And you are still short from a 25-man roster.

Also, where's maltby with his NTC contract?

Edited by sibiriak

Holmstrom - Draper - FA

Comment

Bro you could write a novel and you would still be fundamentally wrong in your claim that the Wings will be better next year then they were this past year. Will they still be an elite team, who - at least in my mind - are among the Stanley Cup favorites going into the season? Yes. Are they going to be better then last year? No, they aren't.

Go position by position - and be realistic. Goaltending will be downgraded (Howard is really not that good). Forwards is another downgrade - this one is glaring. Subtract Hossa and Sammy or Hudler or all three and replace them with Helm (who is probably my favorite Wing with Hossa gone) and Leino (love this guy almost as much as Helm) - while I am super stoked they will be with the club full time, you are lying to yourself if they will come close to matching the production we have lost. Defense - this is the one area I can see us improving. Erikson for Chelios? Yes please. Big Rig will be huge, especially since he gets better and better each NHL game he plays. So ya, our Defense is improving - and well, that's about it.

It's really no ones fault, I am not complaining, like I said earlier I think we will be fine. But to say that we are going to be better is just unequivocally false.

Even though i don't necessarily agree with some of your statements or line combos, thanks for a well thought out post. Many good points and theories, indeed.

I do think, however, that I agree with your overall thesis: too much misaligned talent in general. Maybe thats why we looked lethargic at tmes last year.

Abs, of course is said to be in GR next year, and i don't see Leino as a 3rd line energy guy...

and I don't have time to respond to everything, but I like where you're going with this.

Edit: I guess I do want to say this: 08-09 was a perfect storm year and it hurts real bad that we had the opportunity of a Cap Era lifetime and let it slip thru our gloved hands without winning the Stanley Cup. It was the perfect storm year as Zetterberg was an unbelievable value, Franzen was an unbelievable value, we had the luxury of being able to rent Marian Hossa, and we got the big push from the cheap young guys (Helm, Ericcson,Abdelkader) and 2 goalies for less than (help me out here) $3 or $4m for the two of them? Redonkulous values on that team. Will NEVER happen again.

Edited by T.Low

If you plug your roster here: Cap calculator, you'll see that even assuming a minimum wage FA and that Hudler and Leino get very modest raises , your lineup will be OVER the cap. And you are still 1 player short from a 25-man roster.

Ya you are right, I was thinking about this a couple days ago and was somewhat surprised they let Downey go - just because, if not anything else, we won't have enough to sign anyone to fill that last spot, and he's a guy who has been around and is well liked.

Guess not though.

We're not going to be any better with that roster the OP posted.

Cleary is not a 1st line player, and Hudler and Flip are too inconsistent to be solid top 6 forwards.

Filppula and Hudler would be great player if they could just keep the whole line together for one full season without shuffling them line by line.

Even though i don't necessarily agree with some of your statements or line combos, thanks for a well thought out post. Many good points and theories, indeed.

I do think, however, that I agree with your overall thesis: too much misaligned talent in general. Maybe thats why we looked lethargic at tmes last year.

Abs, of course is said to be in GR next year, and i don't see Leino as a 3rd line energy guy...

and I don't have time to respond to everything, but I like where you're going with this.

To much misaligned talent? Did I miss something or did we not make it to the Stanley Cup finals for the second year in a row. Who was the last team to do that? Oh ya? Us, the only difference is last time we did it we won back to back, and we had more "star names" on the team then this years.

This is dumb. First off, Maltby is not going anywhere. Secondly, Abby won't be up. Thirdly, I don't believe were going to be better next season. I guess I'll be the realistic one here and tell the truth, which I know can hurt people.

The Good: Gaining Helm and Ericsson on the full time list.

The Bad: Losing Hossa and Conklin and will probably lose Sammy and Hudler. We're probably going to be losing Lilja as well, whether it's due to a trade or injury symptoms. We will be replacing them with rookies who don't have much NHL experience. Draper and Maltby aren't going to be any better this year, and Holmstrom and Nick are slowing down. Also, Howard will likely struggle, at least for a portion of his time.

Even though we have a very strong team, both offensively and defensively, I don't think you could say that we will be better this year than last year.

Cleary is not a 1st line player, and Hudler and Flip are too inconsistent to be solid top 6 forwards.

Why not? The Wings were better in 2007-2008 without Hossa, then they were this season. Sure their are a variety of excuses why, but the point is Hossa really never had chemistry with the team. Him and Datysuk played well for a while, then not. In many ways Hossa made the Wings worse in the play-offs. Imagine having one guy who can't even hit the net on your wing? How's the line even going to function?

Flipulla proved he's a solid top 6 guy with his performance. And Homer will likely still be on the top line. The point is, the Wings may have more chemistry with Helm, Leino etc. then they did with Hossa. Hossa was a pretty one dimensional player, a sniper, who couldn't hit a barn when it matters in the play-offs.

The only problem I see is Osgood playing a little better then he did last regular season, but still pretty bad. Howard is going to roast playing 20-30 games a season. Wings really need a rental back-up until Larrson or one of the other prospects is ready.

You're assuming Filps, Draper and Homer have a rebound year. You're also assuming Abdelkader, Leino and Helm will have an awesome breakout year. If these things don't happen, well......we're gonna hurt a bit.

Said nothing about Draper and Homer having rebound years?? I'm assuming Abdelkader, Leino, and Helm play with the attitude of "we need to prove ourselves and be a contributing part of this team."

If you plug your roster here: Cap calculator, you'll see that even assuming a minimum wage FA and that Hudler and Leino get very modest raises , your lineup will be OVER the cap. And you are still short from a 25-man roster.

Also, where's maltby with his NTC contract?

Maltpys on my roster. Hes a 13th man. What salarys are you assuming Hudler and Leino get? On my salary chart this works. 25 man roster? Umm you don't count 25 guys at a time against your cap hit.

Go position by position - and be realistic. Goaltending will be downgraded (Howard is really not that good). Forwards is another downgrade - this one is glaring. Subtract Hossa and Sammy or Hudler or all three and replace them with Helm (who is probably my favorite Wing with Hossa gone) and Leino (love this guy almost as much as Helm) - while I am super stoked they will be with the club full time, you are lying to yourself if they will come close to matching the production we have lost. Defense - this is the one area I can see us improving. Erikson for Chelios? Yes please. Big Rig will be huge, especially since he gets better and better each NHL game he plays. So ya, our Defense is improving - and well, that's about it.

I'm not saying Helm, Leino, Abs will out score last years 3rd line. Like i said this lines redefined and they will be out there banging up bodies playing with energy holding onto the puck wearing out the opposing team. Different line with a different purpose, and in my eyes we need this more than we need last years line come playoff time.

Hmm really funny how he played on the 1st line most the playoffs. A good team only roles with 2 star players on a top line. Cleary is the third guy and can pull his weight and get in front of the net from time to time. Don't know what you have been watching.

Flip not a second line caliber? Haha thanks for the laugh. Once again Hudlers the 3rd guy on this line and he will be excel surrounded with the talent of his linemates

We're not a better team than last year, but we'll still finish in the top 3 in the west and I think we have enough tools, talent and depth to make the finals if they stay healthy.

Wings are in great shape and will be the "team to beat" for many years to come.

On paper we won't be a better team. Then again, on paper we were better 08-09 than we were 07-08, yet it was the 07-08 team that won it all. Lots of factors went into that, but lets not forget how much intangibles play a role in performance. My point is that we could be worse on paper yet be better on the ice next season ... here's hoping!

To much misaligned talent? Did I miss something or did we not make it to the Stanley Cup finals for the second year in a row. Who was the last team to do that? Oh ya? Us, the only difference is last time we did it we won back to back, and we had more "star names" on the team then this years.

[/quote

Yes, apparently you did miss something. We had the Cup damn near hoisted and then got our asses kicked and let another team skate the ******* Stanley Cup around our building because the talent alone could not finnish off the Pens. At that point, our lack of chemistry was glaring right back at us, exposing our weaknesses. Everyone looked around at everyone else to do something and as a team we could not stand up and regain our composure. We lost to a team with a 21 yr old kid leading it, who still lives with a host family for crying out loud!

Why, because we had the right guys in the wrong spots. We lost. Chemistry and team play. As much as I wanted Hossa to succeed in Detroit, he was awful in the playoffs and he ruined the team chemistry and did not play Detroit puck possesion style hockey. He thru the f***in thing at the net as soon as he got it no matter where he was, no matter wether there was traffic in front or not. The lack of chemistry contributed to turn overs wich played a huge role in losing the series.

The OP is saying that he believes next years Wings will have better chemistry and better defined roles and better defined lines. Well, quite possibly true.

There, thats what you missed. Now FFf*** Off!

Yeah, I'm still a little touchy about the lose, OK?!!

Maltpys on my roster. Hes a 13th man. What salarys are you assuming Hudler and Leino get? On my salary chart this works. 25 man roster? Umm you don't count 25 guys at a time against your cap hit.

Well, how many players do you think you'd need to keep with the main club over the 82 games? Remember, that to not count against the cap, the player must be sent down and for most our guys that means going through wavers and probably being picked up.

So I figure we need 2 G, 13 F, 7 D and 1 Meech who plays either position, at a minimum. More likely 14 F and 8 D because injuries will happen.

So If Hudler gets $1.3 mil, and Leino gets $1 mil., and two more players at min. wage ($450K)

Holmstrom - Draper - Malby

FA, GR call-up

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Lilja-Lebda

Ericsson-Meech

Osgood, Howard

we have a cap number of $57,520,653 which is $720,653 OVER the cap.

Subtract one of the min wage scrubs and the roster is STILL over the cap.

No way next years will be better... older yes, in some ways good, in some ways bad.

Alot hinges on whether Homer recovers and is 3/4 or better of what he is/was capable of. I do not see Hudler as a top 2 lines guy at all. Abby has been slated for GR already and Leino is a big question mark as to what he would do in a full time role. I think we seen enough of Big E to assume he will at least be a solid D man and an upgrade overall with Cheli leaving.

I do not see how loosing Hossa makes the Wings a better team, in fact I think it is outright silly to even imply it. Sure Helm is finally going to be full time but aside from that we have Draper and Malts who short of a miracle are just another year older.

It is unfortunate they could not weather the storm this off season and find a way to keep Hoss but it is what it is, now they will probably try to lock Huds and Sammy down which in my mind will be a mistake. We HAD 2 great top 2 lines... We will now have 1 maybe 1.5. We will have potentially a great 3rd line with much of this depending on Leino and how Helm handles full time duties, his style of play no mortal could keep up an entire season so time will see how he balances his game with an 82 game schedule. Flip a coin on a solid D core if they choose to show up and not let Ozzie get raped as he did in so many games this past season we will be fine, if they play like they did this past year... well unless someone really steps up and replaces those 40 goals and the wear n tear on our other stars... it's just not pretty. We have a goalie that could not stop a puck to save his life during large chunks of the regular season, is only older and a kid coming up that has been a let down thus far and it is looking like we will have a 4th line that is just another year older....

The Hawks will on the other hand be a better team... a MUCH better team, not just with the addition of Hossa but with the playoff run they had as well and I think will be considered favorites to win the Central and possibly the west.

No way they ice a better team, a good team... Dats, Z, Mule and an aging Lids... sure they will be good, but better? No way.

Edited by talex

2009-2010 DETROIT RED WINGS

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

* Jiri Hudler $2,000,000

Kris Draper $1,583,333

* Ville Leino $900,000

Kirk Maltby $883,333

Darren Helm $599,444

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Brett Lebda $650,000

Derek Meech $483,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard $716,666

BUYOUTS

NONE

LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS

NONE

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (INCLUDING BONUSES)

ROSTER SIZE 20

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $55,120,653

BONUS MONEY (ESTIMATED) (0% of cap) $0

CAP ROOM $1,679,347

CAP ROOM PER OPEN SPOT $559,782

dats - z - cleary

franzen - flip - huds

leino - helm - homer

maltby - draper - meech

lids - rafs

kronner - stu

lebda - ericsson

ozzy - howard

meech can play the wing, and has in the past. and assuming abby is spending one more year in GR, there's not much more kenny can do for now.

it'll be a different story when draper, malts, and homer retire, along with lids and then rafs. atleast the wings have some good prospects, but they're gonna have to get a #1 d-man when nick retires. personally, i like the 1st pick in the draft of landon ferraro, who may make a nice wing in 2-3 years.

meh, in kenny we must trust...and hopefully yzerman sticks his nose in the business.

the Holmstrom, Draper, Malts situation is frightening. You need about 1 of these players, and no way do you need 3. If I may dream, I hope Homer retires, Draper centers the 4th line, and Maltby platoons with someone from the A.

Abby's a bit rough around the edges, I'd opt for him to say in GR this season. He'll get enough time in the bigs anyway, being the first callup and everything.

2009-2010 DETROIT RED WINGS

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

* Jiri Hudler $2,000,000

Kris Draper $1,583,333

* Ville Leino $900,000

Kirk Maltby $883,333

Darren Helm $599,444

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Brett Lebda $650,000

Derek Meech $483,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard $716,666

BUYOUTS

NONE

LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS

NONE

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (INCLUDING BONUSES)

ROSTER SIZE 20

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $55,120,653

BONUS MONEY (ESTIMATED) (0% of cap) $0

CAP ROOM $1,679,347

CAP ROOM PER OPEN SPOT $559,782

dats - z - cleary

franzen - flip - huds

leino - helm - homer

maltby - draper - meech

lids - rafs

kronner - stu

lebda - ericsson

ozzy - howard

meech can play the wing, and has in the past. and assuming abby is spending one more year in GR, there's not much more kenny can do for now.

it'll be a different story when draper, malts, and homer retire, along with lids and then rafs. atleast the wings have some good prospects, but they're gonna have to get a #1 d-man when nick retires. personally, i like the 1st pick in the draft of landon ferraro, who may make a nice wing in 2-3 years.

meh, in kenny we must trust...and hopefully yzerman sticks his nose in the business.

There's no way you can go through the season with 11 F and 7 D. What if someone gets the flu or something? Are you gonna play with less than 18 skaters? You better spend the $1.6 mil in cap space for 2-3 more roster players. Also, Leino is a RFA, which means the Wings have to make him a qualifying offer with a 10% raise over his current $845K. So he can't be making less than $927,500 next year.

And where's Lilja with his $1.25 contract?

Just noting the fact that so much more cap space will be tied up in Z and Franz this year than last makes it economically highly unlikely that the Wings will be able to put the firepower on the ice this year that they did last. We should expect marked improvement from Big Rig, Helm, Leino and Flip but will that be enough to equal what they had last year? I think not.

To be realistic I could see our 50 win streak end next season. Not because this lineup isn't capable of 50 wins, but because any injuries we get will probably hurt us more than usual since we've already brought up our best prospects. And Howard could potentially be a liability in net.

Once the playoffs roll around I expect the Wings to be as dangerous as ever though.