175 replies to this topic

#101 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 1, 2009 - 10:31PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who said the two had to be mutually exclusive? I'd rather sign Hudler - assuming its a number we can afford - and have him for the season with the option of using him as trade bait at the deadline then get screwed over at the deadline offering up picks and prospects at high deadline costs.

Assuming if that party wants Hudler at the deadline - then I'd say you've got something there...Then again if Hudler was of such great value wouldn't a GM offer him a contract sometime this week, and not mind coughing up the 2nd, or 3rd rounder?

Dunno if Holland would ever get into the bidding wars we often see unless of course we were in serious need at 1 particular position.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#102 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 1, 2009 - 11:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif Oh, irony.

Ya, as funny or ironic as that is, missing a letter is not as bad as spelling a word wrong. But, ya, that was pretty funny, I even laughed! laugh.gif

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#103 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 1, 2009 - 10:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Signing Hudler doesn't mean we can't have an enforcer. On the contrary - you should want the Wings to sign Hudler. Because if we sign him, that's all we'll have space for. hehe.gif

Otherwise, you're basically asking Holland to sign semi-skilled, excel-at-nothing-in-particular type of players to fill out the bottom lines.

If they are fast enough to catch the opposition, able to slam them into the boards, getting the opposing Dmen to cough up the puck, do the dirty work in front of the nets/along the boards, score the ugly goals, and drop the mitts from time to time?...Then my answer to that YES since little of what I mentioned above was accomplished against the Pens.

#104 Thunderpriest

Thunderpriest

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already - I didn't read the entire thread - but I just don't understand the lack of support for Hudler.
Yeah, he's a small player, but if you watched the same team that I did, he was actually very hard to take off of the puck - especially in the playoffs. He stick-handled quite well along the boards in the opponent's zone and made some nice plays.

And folks, he was 5th in scoring amongst forwards while receiving third line minutes. He had 57 points and was +7 in the regular season.
Cleary, Flip & Samuelsson, each of whom logged time on the top two lines, all had 40 points, and Cleary & Sammy were scratch players.
I think that $2M would be reasonable for him. Hell, Filppula is making $3M.

Is he a replacement for Hossa? Of course not......but I'd love to see him get some 2nd line ice time with Filppula & Franzen.
"I am the Lord of the wastelands, a modern day man of steel. I gather darkness to please me, and I command you to kneel..."

#105 HudlerFanatic

HudlerFanatic

You're my boy Huds!

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (LeftWinger @ July 1, 2009 - 06:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmmm, wow! First of all, your quote wasn' even my post, so I don't now where this came from. Second I don't recall you laying into me in a previous thread, the only response I remember from to directly to me was another time where I mentioned a long term deal for Hudler and you responded "Long Term Long Term!" if that is laying into me, then wow, we now know why that Alaskan lady ruined the Presidential bid for the Republicans, don'tcha know! BTW, no I did not vote for the illegal immigrant that ran for President.

lets see, what else. I really don't recall attacking you personally or telling you to change your name, crazy, but I do believe you have me confused with someone else. I made this thread because I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of re-signing Hudler but by not raping our Cap. AND if you do recall, I did start the thread called "If you think Hudler is NOT worth $3.0million, think again." In which I gave plenty of reasons why Hudler IS worth a raise, but givin our limited cap space, he is not worth $3.0m here. And he should take a page out of the superstars books here and re-sign for a lot less than his market value so Holland can ice the best possible team. I think maybe you should scan through your posts and reminds yourself of who you were yelling at before, because it wasn't me, but I am glad I got your attention because you were one of the folks I was hoping would come up with a great plan to keep Jiri here without raping our cap.
Wow, maybe your 6'0 husband should help you with the panties that are i a bunch and while he's down there, relieve some stress.

I started this thread in support of Hudler, only to find that everyone that was responding was anti-Hudler or didn't think he was worth re-signing. That is why I called out the Hudler lovers because in every other thread I mentioned my dislike for re-siging Hudler they were there. Relax Martha, relax!

Take a look at my posts? I commented when I was writing that "the guy that said..." and this person" I wasn't going to go back and find every name.....

There were about five different threads that you are the first one to reply to something I say...hince my sarchasim everytime you say something....I was having fun with it..... going back to the "how cute everyone is with Hudler" comments....

BUT NOW....what you've said is too much....that is just uncalled for...

and for the other's I wrote it that big because I knew exactly who he was talking to........and I was right, he said it himself.....

How would you like someone that you don't know saying crap like that to your wife....it's called sexual harrasment

#106 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

Trade Hudler for Kessel.

#107 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:40 AM

I miss EuroTwin and her shenanigans.

#108 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

The lineup I would like to see, given the loss of Kopecky, Hossa, and Conklin:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary
Franzen/Datsyuk/Leino
Abdelkader/Filppula/Holmstrom
Helm/Draper/Maltby

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Kronwall/Stuart
Ericsson/Lilja
Meech

Osgood
Howard

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#109 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:52 AM

my shortlist for the Red Wings is:

re-signing Hudler and signing Chris Neil.

i dont understand all of the negativity towards Rex honestly...

hes just coming off a career year across the board.

i understand he was pretty much MIA for the Finals but @ 25, i think he's certainly worth giving a handsome contract with this roster and thus, increased playing time to really see what this guy can do.

maybe hes the next danny briere...or possibly better?

regardless, in my eyes, he seems like a very promising forward with a nose for the net.

#110 EuroTwin

EuroTwin

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ July 2, 2009 - 01:40AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I miss EuroTwin and her shenanigans.

The Hudler threads are full more bitchy people than a sorority house full of pmsing females. I want him to stay, others want him to leave, I'm only going to stress myself out arguing with people who aren't going to change their minds.

I'd rather keep my Rexy-love pure and silly. wink.gif Just like him. (Well the silly part at least, wub.gif)

Edited by EuroTwin, 02 July 2009 - 01:55 AM.

Hudler!!

"If you didn't know him, and saw him without hockey gear, you'd never suspect Datsyuk to be a world-class athlete. He walks a bit hunched over. His gait is somewhat crab-like, almost like he's still skating, even on dry land.

But put him on skates and he's Houdini on ice. He is not the fastest skater by a long shot, but there can't be too many who are stronger or more flexible. Checking him has to feel like checking Gumby. You might get a piece of him, but he bounces away, moving faster thanks to the leverage he gained from your check."

From The Detroit News

#111 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (Thunderpriest @ July 2, 2009 - 12:55AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry if this has been discussed already - I didn't read the entire thread - but I just don't understand the lack of support for Hudler.
Yeah, he's a small player
, but if you watched the same team that I did, he was actually very hard to take off of the puck - especially in the playoffs. He stick-handled quite well along the boards in the opponent's zone and made some nice plays.

And folks, he was 5th in scoring amongst forwards while receiving third line minutes. He had 57 points and was +7 in the regular season.
Cleary, Flip & Samuelsson, each of whom logged time on the top two lines, all had 40 points, and Cleary & Sammy were scratch players.
I think that $2M would be reasonable for him. Hell, Filppula is making $3M.

Is he a replacement for Hossa? Of course not......but I'd love to see him get some 2nd line ice time with Filppula & Franzen.

You answered your own question. Everyone hates Hudler because hes a midget. Thats it. Thats the end of it. If he was pure skill at 6'0, nobody would have a problem with him.

Wings fans have a serious complex about small players.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#112 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (EuroTwin @ July 2, 2009 - 02:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Hudler threads are full more bitchy people than a sorority house full of pmsing females. I want him to stay, others want him to leave, I'm only going to stress myself out arguing with people who aren't going to change their minds.

I'd rather keep my Rexy-love pure and silly. wink.gif Just like him. (Well the silly part at least, wub.gif)

I was honestly beginning to get a little scared.

#113 EuroTwin

EuroTwin

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ July 2, 2009 - 02:01AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was honestly beginning to get a little scared.

Well I was also on vacation for the past ten days with limited access to teh interwebz. wink.gif
Hudler!!

"If you didn't know him, and saw him without hockey gear, you'd never suspect Datsyuk to be a world-class athlete. He walks a bit hunched over. His gait is somewhat crab-like, almost like he's still skating, even on dry land.

But put him on skates and he's Houdini on ice. He is not the fastest skater by a long shot, but there can't be too many who are stronger or more flexible. Checking him has to feel like checking Gumby. You might get a piece of him, but he bounces away, moving faster thanks to the leverage he gained from your check."

From The Detroit News

#114 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:21 AM

I love Huds, and am completely fine with his height. Detroit is a skilled team, and Huds fits in right with their system, why wouldn't you want him. I love enforcers, truly do, but I accept the fact that we are not that sort of team that will hurt you with their size. I always love how well Huds and Helm play together anyway, and would love for that to continue.

#115 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (GMRwings1983 @ July 1, 2009 - 10:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Larionov was a Hall of Famer and a great centerman on our team.

Hudler is s*** compared to Larionov, even when Igor was in his early 40's.

Igor's HOF career has almost nothing to do with what he did in the NHL. Igor was pretty much a 40-60pt player in the NHL. Igor was a solid middle 6 scorer for the Wings. Good enough for 2nd line duty, but did most of his work from the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit. Thats where Jiri is now. And where Igor was slowly but surely declining, Hudler has been, and will be improving for a few more years as he enters his prime.

Posted Image

#116 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (HudlerFanatic @ July 2, 2009 - 01:00AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take a look at my posts? I commented when I was writing that "the guy that said..." and this person" I wasn't going to go back and find every name.....

There were about five different threads that you are the first one to reply to something I say...hince my sarchasim everytime you say something....I was having fun with it..... going back to the "how cute everyone is with Hudler" comments....

BUT NOW....what you've said is too much....that is just uncalled for...

and for the other's I wrote it that big because I knew exactly who he was talking to........and I was right, he said it himself.....

How would you like someone that you don't know saying crap like that to your wife....it's called sexual harrasment

On behalf of the rational females on this board, please, I beg of you:
a) Put him on ignore and be done with it.
b) Take a Midol.

The choice is yours.

Back on topic...
I will miss Hudler's antics- the clucks, the "let's go Red Vings", the funny interviews. He has been enjoyable to watch.

Unfortunately, these are merely bonuses. The true worth of a player is what he does on the ice, for what price, and how much his particular skill set is needed to mesh with his teammates.

Hudler seems to score more with limited minutes, making him a good choice for the third or fourth line, but he lacks the size needed to be a true checking line kind of guy. He does battle and I give him credit for that, but others do it better.

At his RFA salary, he was fine, but with the cap what it is, I'm afraid there are cheaper options that will fill his skates.

This is not to say that I don't want him back if the price is right, just that if he is looking for more than we can afford (which I believe will be the case), he is more easily replaced than many on the team.

I appreciate all that he's done here, and I like him as a personality, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather see someone who can fill either a top-six or bottom-six spot and do it well. Hudler is kind of a half-breed who doesn't quite fulfill the obligations of either.

All the same, I wish him all the best and I hope he finds somewhere that he is Happy.

#117 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:44 AM

^ What she said thumbup.gif ^

#118 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 1, 2009 - 10:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At any rate, you and GMR shouldn't even be in this discussion, because your bias against small, skilled players doesn't allow you to think clearly. Its like arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative.

Okay, you're saying that people with strong, deeply held oppinions shouldn't be allowed in discussions? Why?

If arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative is no good, then arguing same sex marriage with those who are strongly in favor of same sex marriage must also be no good....which leaves the rest of the population, those who just don't give a s*** either way, to be the only ones to discuss the matter, which they won't, because hey, American Idol is coming up next. Maybe the Hudler debate should be left to people who don't even watch hockey, just to make sure no bias creeps in...

"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#119 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (micah @ July 2, 2009 - 09:02AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, you're saying that people with strong, deeply held oppinions shouldn't be allowed in discussions? Why?

If arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative is no good, then arguing same sex marriage with those who are strongly in favor of same sex marriage must also be no good....which leaves the rest of the population, those who just don't give a s*** either way, to be the only ones to discuss the matter, which they won't, because hey, American Idol is coming up next. Maybe the Hudler debate should be left to people who don't even watch hockey, just to make sure no bias creeps in...

No. This isn't about being against one thing or another. This about being blinded by your philosophy that you can't ignore it enough to open up your eyes to the other aspects of the debate.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#120 C20lw

C20lw

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

I love having Hudler on the team. I understand we can use the cap money on a player in their prime right now, or with more potential. BUT I swear ive said this in another thread, if we have the cap space and need a forward that we know can produce and has been improving why not keep him.

If he goes to another team, I hope he will still be Happy Hudler.

Thanks wingnut22!!