175 replies to this topic

#121 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (HudlerFanatic @ July 2, 2009 - 01:00AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you like someone that you don't know saying crap like that to your wife....it's called sexual harrasment

How would I feel about someone on the internet saying that to my wife? I wouldn't care. It's the internet. She wouldn't care either. She's thick skinned and doesn't get her feelings hurt by e-insults. If I wanted some dainty little flower in my life I would have married Jiri Hudler.

I don't like Hudler. He's a soft mini-Euro who hides behind a visor and is incapable of hitting. He is also the very opposite of funny when he cracks wise.

That said, I hope he stays around. He scores at a nice clip, I'm happy with him on the 3rd line - especially if he'll take less money to stay here and we're able to find some muscle to play next to him. This is a test of Lidstrom's leadership. It is in the team's best interest for Hudler to stay here and take less money. That's part of what leaders do, right? Inspire those around them to want to stay, because they have something special? Huds has been in Detroit long enough to know how special the organisation is and to have seen the way other teams run their ships. If he wants to go after big money, good ridance. If he wants to stay, take less money to continue playing the parts of the game he plays well despite his size, great.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#122 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 2, 2009 - 08:28AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. This isn't about being against one thing or another. This about being blinded by your philosophy that you can't ignore it enough to open up your eyes to the other aspects of the debate.

fair enough.

Certainly some proponents of *** marriage are so blinded by their philosophies too, right? And certainly some of the pro-Huddler slappies are too, right?
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#123 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (micah @ July 2, 2009 - 09:37AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fair enough.

Certainly some proponents of *** marriage are so blinded by their philosophies too, right? And certainly some of the pro-Huddler slappies are too, right?

No. You clearly don't understand the analogy. A proponent of *** marriage is not blinded by an ulterior belief system, i.e. Christianity. Thats the point. Arguing with someone who already has their mind made up about soft, skilled Euros without from the beginning is akin to arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative because they've never been open to the alternative. Understand, now?

And a pro-Hudler "slappy"? Like me? The one has has made trade proposals including Jiri Hudler? The one who said Jiri Hudler won't be a Wing if he wants more than 2.5M? Yeah, I'm so blinded. rolleyes.gif If anything I'm one of the few on this board who has been able to strike a balance in the Hudler debate.

More like, I dont see the point of dropping a 57 point guy who might be willing to take 2.5M or slightly less to stay here when 2.5M doesn't even get you Sami Pahlsson and his 20 points. And I like Sami Pahlsson, too.

If the Wings somehow managed to flip Jiri Hudler for Curtis Clencross or Rene Bourque, I'd be ecstatic. But until that happens, I'll stick with Hudler + Leino + Grinder, thanks.

Edited by YoungGuns1340, 02 July 2009 - 08:50 AM.

It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#124 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

Hudler at $2.5m is a pretty incredible bargain for a guy who is most likely going to put up 60+ points next year.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#125 C20lw

C20lw

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (egroen @ July 2, 2009 - 09:51AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hudler at $2.5m is a pretty incredible bargain for a guy who is most likely going to put up 60+ points next year.

+1

Thanks wingnut22!!

#126 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 2, 2009 - 08:45AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. You clearly don't understand the analogy. A proponent of *** marriage is not blinded by an ulterior belief system, i.e. Christianity. Thats the point. Arguing with someone who already has their mind made up about soft, skilled Euros without from the beginning is akin to arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative because they've never been open to the alternative. Understand, now?

No I don't. I know plenty of *** marriage advocates who "already have their mind made up" about how they feel about it and are not open to hearing other points of view. It certainly goes both ways.

Also, in what ways is the Christian belief system "ulterior" in the scenerio you mention? Are you talking about secret-Christians or something?

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 2, 2009 - 08:45AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And a pro-Hudler "slappy"? Like me?

Where on earth did I imply that you were anything? I was merely pointing out that there are pro and anti Hudler fanatics, and that both seem equally niggardly in their critical thought expendatures.

#127 RedWingsFanatic

RedWingsFanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

What the HELL is going on in this thread?
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time."
-Mickey Redmond

#128 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (RedWingsFanatic @ July 2, 2009 - 09:15AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're discussing the merits of keeping Hudler vs finding someone else who can fill his skates.
We're just doing it LGW style.

BTW, after re-reading my previous post, I realize that it seems that I think that Hudler could be quite easily replaced. I do not think that he's a cog in the Winged Wheel that can just be thrown out. I just think that we can find someone -dare I say it?- grittier to do his job and hopefully put up points (although not likely as many) for less than what it will take to keep him. If we can't find that someone, then Hudler is welcome to stay as far as I'm concerned.

#129 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

People are talking at eachother out of boredom, because the Wings aren't doing anything right now. Get used to it, don't expect anything different until Traverse.

#130 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

If Hudler is willing to sign for less than $3m you have to fit him in somehow.
The Wings have a lot of offense to make up, and Filppula is not the one who is going to be doing it. Leino should be able to help, but he is actually older than Hudler, and accomplished far less.

Hudler, alone, can make a 3rd or 4th line a consistent scoring threat... that is your downside. Upside is he gets paired with Franzen and sets him up for 40+ goals, potting 20+ goals of his own.

Edited by egroen, 02 July 2009 - 09:23 AM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#131 EuroTwin

EuroTwin

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

Not even God knows anymore.
Hudler!!

"If you didn't know him, and saw him without hockey gear, you'd never suspect Datsyuk to be a world-class athlete. He walks a bit hunched over. His gait is somewhat crab-like, almost like he's still skating, even on dry land.

But put him on skates and he's Houdini on ice. He is not the fastest skater by a long shot, but there can't be too many who are stronger or more flexible. Checking him has to feel like checking Gumby. You might get a piece of him, but he bounces away, moving faster thanks to the leverage he gained from your check."

From The Detroit News

#132 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

We dont have enough cap room to re-sign him and have the depth we need. I wont be happy if he returns, nothing against him personally, but his lack of any defensive skills and small size really do get annoying sometimes. As do his lack of even strength goals.

Id rather take the draft picks.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#133 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 2, 2009 - 09:45AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Understand, now?

He really lost me when he said he grew up under the supervision of white supremacists. Even if that was a joke.

#134 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (55fan @ July 2, 2009 - 08:39AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The choice is yours.

Thank you.

#135 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 1, 2009 - 08:19PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who the f*** cares if they are more useful at even strength? The point is Hudler puts up points at even strength AND on the powerplay. Its not like we have to pick between one of Cleary, Filppula, and Hudler. We're choosing between Hudler or guys who can't even score in the double digits.

At any rate, you and GMR shouldn't even be in this discussion, because your bias against small, skilled players doesn't allow you to think clearly. Its like arguing about same-sex marriage with a Christian conservative.

Burn. And so true.

#136 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone has asked this or said this or whatever but; what happens if we don't keep Hudler? Personally I would definetly like to keep him but he is a Free Agent even if he is Resticted we still may lose him.

What do you think would be our game-plan if we did indeed part ways with Jiri Hudler?

#137 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 2, 2009 - 02:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Burn. And so true.

#138 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Shoreline @ July 2, 2009 - 01:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Burn. And so true.

rolleyes.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#139 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ July 2, 2009 - 11:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We dont have enough cap room to re-sign him and have the depth we need. I wont be happy if he returns, nothing against him personally, but his lack of any defensive skills and small size really do get annoying sometimes. As do his lack of even strength goals.

Id rather take the draft picks.

ranting.gif You Limey bastard quit hating Huddles just 'cause he's vertically challenged!!! Yous suxxxx!!! AARRRGGHHHH!!! ranting.gif

XOXO,
The Jiri Hudler fan camp.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#140 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ July 2, 2009 - 11:33AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say they remind me of this, and this method of fighting cancer..