Gaborik signs with Rangers, 5 years x $7.5

Rate this topic

Gaborik Signs with Rangers, 5 Years

Blog: KK Hockey By Alanah McGinley

07/01/09 at 08:19 PM ET | Comments (0)

From Darren Dreger via Twitter:

TSN is reporting Gaborik to the Rangers. 5 years x $5.75 [million]

Guest Shoreline

Good for the Rangers, though I dunno what that means for Gaborik. People going to the Rangers tend to underperform, and in the last 10 or so years it never seems to help the Rangers either make the playoffs or go anywhere when they do.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest Shoreline
Gaborik 5 years, $7.5 per year

Wow, hit F5 to refresh that TSN link and Gaborik was suddenly 2 million richer. :lol:

Ok, so maybe a bad idea for the Rangers, unless Gaborik can stay healthy and put up 40+ goals for those years.

Gaborik 5 years, $7.5 per year

It's been updated. It said 5.75 mil when it was first posted, promise.

7.5 is a huge overpayment if that is really the case.

Guest Shoreline
It's been updated. It said 5.75 mil when it was first posted, promise.

Soon as I submitted my post it was edited on that TSN link from 5.75m to 7.5m. Exactly at :28 of the hour. (by the forum post time)

Edited by Shoreline

So they dump a guy who doesn't score for a guy who won't score because he's on the shelf, both of whom make about the same?

Glad I'm a Wings fan.

That contract is insane, especially coming off a 17 game season. I'm going to say a little extra prayer of thanks tonight that Kenny Holland is sane.

If he can stay healthy it should be a big improvement to their offense.

That's a big IF though.

Also, what's with everyone being overpayed? I thought with the cap on the way down we'd see a lot smaller contracts, but istead we're seeing 4th line goons getting 1.5-2.0 mil and everyone who has ever scored a goal gets over 5 mil.

Overpayment? They basically replaced Gomez with Gaborik. Not a bad move. Gaborik, if healthy is up their with Kovelchuk in skill level. Rangers needed this boost. Plus they probably were competing with high offers from LA, Minni and whoever else.

Is it just me, or do last years "power houses" like the Wings, Devils, San Jose, Boston and Pengiuns not looking too great anymore. None of these 5 teams are improving their rosters, while teams like Philly, Washington, Calgary and Chicago are vastly getting better. Even the Rangers are getting better. This free agency is the epitomy of what the cap is all about, leveling the field. Our chances aren't looking good. Even Vancouver is looking significantly worse.

COINCIDENCE ? :D

Ahh, but you need to stay healthy to score goals.

On the plus side, when he's on LTIR the Rangers can bring kids up from one of their feeder teams.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Guest Shoreline
If he can stay healthy it should be a big improvement to their offense.

That's a big IF though.

Also, what's with everyone being overpayed? I thought with the cap on the way down we'd see a lot smaller contracts, but istead we're seeing 4th line goons getting 1.5-2.0 mil and everyone who has ever scored a goal gets over 5 mil.

Bigger picture? Big name players means more merchandise sold. It's also a lazy way of trying to buy your way into the playoffs, assuming players mesh well together. One playoff series alone of 3 or 4 home games will pull in enough to pay a 5 million dollar salary. Imagine 3 or 4. It pays extremely well to go deep into the playoffs, which is why Chicago can spend now. As for New York Rangers, they just somehow always rake in a lot of money no matter how much they suck. I'm sure the Isles wish that were them.

$7.5 million to watch his hangnails heal? No thanks. This was a horrible signing. I can't believe someone was willing to gamble that much cap space/hard cash on someone whose heart and skeleton are made of balsa wood.

Overpayment? They basically replaced Gomez with Gaborik. Not a bad move. Gaborik, if healthy is up their with Kovelchuk in skill level. Rangers needed this boost. Plus they probably were competing with high offers from LA, Minni and whoever else.

Is it just me, or do last years "power houses" like the Wings, Devils, San Jose, Boston and Pengiuns not looking too great anymore. None of these 5 teams are improving their rosters, while teams like Philly, Washington, Calgary and Chicago are vastly getting better. Even the Rangers are getting better. This free agency is the epitomy of what the cap is all about, leveling the field. Our chances aren't looking good. Even Vancouver is looking significantly worse.

Well Gaborik isn't the worst example of overpayment, but I think his tendency to not play a lot of games reduces his value. I was thinking more in general of all the signings we've seen today. Apart from a select few, I feel like there's been a lot of money handed out to players that don't really deserve it.

And everyone was saying at the Trade Deadline that Calgary was going to win the cup, or atleast compete with Detroit (and San Jose lol) for it. Just because you make a lot of moves and sign some big names doesn't guarantee you success. The Hawks are looking the most impressive, but Huet is a big questionmark that could bring them down.

The Rangers look better than before, the Habs are hard to say, Vancoucer looks worse right now but I'm sure they're not done (they're rumored to be after Havlat).

Things like chemistry come into play when the season finally starts. On paper a team might look improved, but until you see the final product out on the ice you can't know for sure.

Really? Have you ever noticed that there is almost never a connection between the big FA winners in the summer and the top playoff teams the following year?

The Rangers have been throwing money at UFAs for years, what's changed about their Cup chances? Not much.

Gaborik: 7.5 cap hit

Hossa: 5.2 cap hit

I realize Hossa's term is longer but that's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on an injury prone player that, when healthy, performs similarly to Hossa.

Seconded. NYR sucks, and they will continue to suck in 2009-2010 and beyond. What a stupid deal.

Did they forget there is even a salary cap??? :blink: