• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

P. Marlowe

Biggest FA overpayment

Rate this topic

Biggest FA overpayment  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some of the other big signings:

Hossa, Marian ($62.8M, 12, $5.23M/year)

Havlat, Martin (MIN, $30M, 6 years, $5M/year)

Ohlund, Mattias (TBL, $26.25M, 7 years, $3.75M/year)

Sullivan, Steve (NSH, $7.5M, 2 years, $3.75M/year)

Oduya, Johnny (NJD, $10.5M, 3 years, $3.5M/year)

Blake, Rob (SJS, $3.5M, 1 year)

Bolland, David (CHI, $16.875M , 5 years, $3.375M/year)

Cole, Erik (CAR, $5.8M, 2 years, $2.9M/year)

Knuble, Mike (WAS, $5.6M, 2 years, $2.8M/year)

Madden, John (CHI, $2.75M, 1 year)

Pahlsson, Samuel (CBJ, $7.95M, 3 years, $2.65M/year)

Roloson, Dwayne (NYI, $5M, 2 years, $2.5M/year)

Gill, Hal (MTL, $4.5M, 2 years, $2.25M/year)

Neil, Chris (OTT, $8M, 4 years, $2M/year)

Zanon, Greg (NSH, $5.8M, 3 years, $1.93M/year)

Huskins, Kent (SJS, $3.4M, 2 years, $1.7M/year)

Brashear, Donald (NYR, $2.8M, 2 years, $1.4M/year)

Kopecky, Tomas (CHI, $2.4M, 2 years, $1.2M/year)

Laperriere, Ian (PHI, $3.5M, 3 years, $1.17M/year)

You can also comment on which contract you think is the most reasonable.

Edited by P. Marlowe

i think gaborik, was thinking spacek but who knows. gaborik is a great player, but too prone to injury. the wild system was almost suicide for a player like him. could put up great points though. he has a lot of backing up to do.

I would say Komisarek. The guy only made the All-Star game because of fan voting and isn't really that great of a shut-down D-man. He fights, but rarely lasts long against proven fighters. A 3 mil cap hit might make more sense. Then again, the team that signed him is also the one that gave Jeff Finger $4 mil+ a year....

Bouwmeester was paid too much, he's not good in +/- and doesn't score on a constant basis.

I heard the other day someone comparing this guy to Nick Lidstrom, not even a chance.

I really didn't think Cammalleri was a $6 million a year player, certainly not on a 5 year deal. Bouwmeester is a tough one, I really think someone was going to overpay for him no matter what happened. I could have easily seen him getting $7 million+. Taken together, the Sedins might be the worst one here, that's a ton of money to tie up in two players of their caliber. Think about it, that's almost Datsyuk + Zetterberg money, are they really close to that level?

Gaborik is certainly an overpayment, but if he can keep off the IR it could pay off for them. It's a gamble, and I'm okay with that in sports..

I'd say the bigger overpayment is Cammalleri, because he is wildly inconsistent, and is a liability outside of the offensive end.

Considering his injury history, Steve Sullivan was a bit of a gamble too.

Bouwmeester was paid too much, he's not good in +/- and doesn't score on a constant basis.

I'm never for comparing anyone to Lids (because he is without a doubt in my mind the top defenseman of the past 20 years), but in defence of Bouwmeester's +/-, you gotta factor in that he's been playing for Florida all these years, which is very different than playing for... say... Detroit

Edited by RedWings Gone Wild

I voted other.

For a tie between Chris Neil and Dwayne Roloson.

Chris Neil for four years at $2m per year is a RIDICULOUS overpayment...given that he'll contribute enough over the life of his contract to justify maybe $2m, I don't see how he gets that contract.

And Roloson getting that deal from the Isles is just ridiculous, given they could have signed Joey MacDonald for probably $1m or less and MacDonald outplayed Roloson last season playing for the Isles with DiPietro's absence. So either you have a $2.5m backup goalie in Roloson, or DiPietro gets injured AGAIN. MacDonald proved more than capable of taking over in that instance, so why sign Rollie the Goalie for more than twice what Joey Mac would make when Roloson is on the downswing and MacDonald is getting better?

EDIT: With New York's signing of Biron, Roloson will begin the season as a $2.5m backup goaltender assuming that Dipietro is still injured, and either he or Biron will likely be traded if Dipietro is healthy to start the year, assuming that New York can find a trade partner. If not, Roloson is waived and is a $2.5m goaltender playing in the minors.

Edited by eva unit zero

I had to vote Other, since you cannot choose more than one option. All of the Montreal free-agents have been grossly overpaid, Spacek and Gionta specifically, Cammalieri may prove to be worth his contract, but that is still a maybe. Factor in the unimaginably poor judgement in trading FOR Scott Gomez and his bloated carcass of a contract, Montreal is going to be in real trouble financially while fielding a less competitive team than last year.

As bad as a lot of those signings were I dont think I was as shocked to see any of them as I was when I saw that Kopecky got $1.2M/yr from Chicago for two years. Nothing against the guy but in my mind he barely deserved a raise. If I were Holland I would have been offering him 2 years at 600k per. So to see him get double that I was shocked. As bad as the other signings were they were around what I had expected to see someone pay for them. Would I pay that money? Absolutely not but I knew someone would