• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:18 AM

We would have received compensation if they had signed him.

http://hockey-bums.com/archives/617

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#2 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:04 AM

Thats huge. If thats the kind of pussyfooting he did with Shero, then I can see why he left the Pens on such bad terms. Sounds like DL couldn't get a straight answer out of Hossa no matter what he did.

Be a friggin man, Hossa. If you dont want to have anything to do with a team, tell them you aren't available. No need for them to waste their time.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#3 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

He was the one player we thought was a top player. I don’t know that he’s a `mail carrier’ type guy, but he’s still a top player”.

Dean Lombardi, smart man.

#NOMOREKINDL

#4 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (Detroit # 1 Fan @ July 2, 2009 - 03:08AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was the one player we thought was a top player. I don’t know that he’s a `mail carrier’ type guy, but he’s still a top player”.

Dean Lombardi, smart man.

I noticed that, too. I think its pretty clear at this point that Hossa wants no part of being the go-to guy. First Malkin and Crosby. Then Hank and Datsyuk. Now Kane and Toews. Looks like Hossa's biggest fear is being the guy that the spotlight shines on. Pretty much explains why the guy folded in the Finals when all eyes were on him.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#5 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 2, 2009 - 09:20AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed that, too. I think its pretty clear at this point that Hossa wants no part of being the go-to guy. First Malkin and Crosby. Then Hank and Datsyuk. Now Kane and Toews. Looks like Hossa's biggest fear is being the guy that the spotlight shines on. Pretty much explains why the guy folded in the Finals when all eyes were on him.

He didn't choose to go to Pittsburgh but I think you might be right otherwise.

Gotta suck to be a Kings fan. They have all that cap space but can't get anyone to sign there.

#6 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

Interesting, but I'm not gonna worked up. I wouldn't sign in LA when I can get the same money in Chicago.
*this space for rent*

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ July 2, 2009 - 07:58AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotta suck to be a Kings fan. They have all that cap space but can't get anyone to sign there.

Their best move might be to sign a couple second tier guys instead of a big name. They're assembling a quality team and like Lombardi said, if they can put together a good season or two they can compete for big names. Getting some workhorses who aren't quite big stars would put them in good shape.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (VM1138 @ July 2, 2009 - 10:15AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Their best move might be to sign a couple second tier guys instead of a big name. They're assembling a quality team and like Lombardi said, if they can put together a good season or two they can compete for big names. Getting some workhorses who aren't quite big stars would put them in good shape.

they were only a few wins away from squeaking into the playoffs last year before that losing streak at the end... with some maturity and growth, they could be a very good team in a couple years...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#9 Snazzy

Snazzy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

Sadly, Hossa doesn't have a backbone. He should have been more open with people instead of giving false hope. Oh well, he'll never see the cup now that he's in Chicago. That's too bad really, I was hoping he'd get a chance.
“I do this real moron thing, it's called thinking, and I'm not a very good Amercian because I like to form my own opionions.” -G. Carlin

#10 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ July 2, 2009 - 07:58AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But he excelled in Pittsburgh and seemed really comfortable there.

#11 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

I don't know which is true but here is what the Edmonton Journal said:
The Wings, who were squeezed by their salary cap, offered 10 years for $40 million for the forward. But they knew they likely wouldn't get him and gave his agent Ritch Winter permission a week ago to talk to other teams. They did it out of the goodness of their heart because they could have tried to trade his negotiating rights as Florida did with Jay Bouwmeester; but they felt they owed Hossa for signing with Detroit last year and leaving lots of money on the table elsewhere.

Slightly different story than the one the OP found. Here is the link

Edited by Frozen-Man, 02 July 2009 - 09:59 AM.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#12 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (Lovin Jiri Fischer @ July 2, 2009 - 04:29PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But he excelled in Pittsburgh and seemed really comfortable there.

True, but he didn't necessarily want to go there. And he didn't want to stay there.
Also, he has excelled pretty much wherever he's gone in his career. Playoff success has been so-so for him, but he's a guy who always delivers in the regular season.

#13 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

If the Kings are having a tough time getting big names to sign there, the Pens should be forced to trade them Malkin for $25 million and four first round picks. Isn't that the league's standard protocol for a young but struggling LA team? tongue.gif

#14 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

I don't get it. If the Kings had his rights, how were we able to offer him a contract?
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#15 flip

flip

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ July 2, 2009 - 12:20AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More YoungGuns butthurt. Explain the 92- and 100-point seasons he had in Atlanta. Sure sounds like a go-to guy to me.

I swear, YoungGuns must cry himself to sleep every night while cursing Hossa. It's all he does here. It's a sickening obsession.

#16 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

^ Undoubtedly

QUOTE (RedFX @ July 2, 2009 - 11:25AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get it. If the Kings had his rights, how were we able to offer him a contract?

The wings still had his rights, but Holland allowed others to negotiate with Hossa. If Hossa signed a deal elsewhere before July 1st the wings would have received a draft pick.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#17 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

Even if this blog has any truth to it at all, it still points to Hossa wanting something more immediate in terms of success, and the blog points out that Lombardi said he couldn't guarantee any immediate success of the franchise. Who can blame Hossa for taking his chances with another team? Just because he talks to one doesn't mean he must sign. Some Wings fans need to stop getting their panties in a bunch over insignificant stuff.