• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Trade for Laraque!

Rate this topic

Trade Lebda and a pick/prospect to Montreal for Georges Laraque (before anyone says anything, he has a window in his NTC from July 1st, allowing him to be traded if approved by him and yes... I am an unapologetic Georges Laraque slappy on MANY levels, remember, he can chip in for 30 pts a season too), bring up Abs and Helm full time, say bye to Hudler (reluctantly - I don't want to, but I think someone is gonna through some insane offer sheet at him that we just flat out wont be able to match) and at least we'll get compensatory picks for him - roster:

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

Kris Draper $1,583,333

Georges Laraque $1,500,000

Kirk Maltby $883,333

Ville Leino $875,000

Justin Abdelkader $850,000

Darren Helm $599,444

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Andreas Lilja $1,250,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Derek Meech $483,333

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Jimmy Howard $716,666

ROSTER SIZE 21

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $56,045,653

BONUS MONEY (ESTIMATED) (0.2% of cap) $110,000

CAP ROOM $754,347

Lines:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filpulla-Leino

Cleary-Helm-Laraque

Abdelkader-Draper-Maltby

*Meech

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Lilja

*Meech

Osgood

Howard

Rationale:

We have a some cap wiggle room left for injuries/call-ups, Fil is given his top 6 minutes(which he deserves) we get something back for losing Happy, we add toughness and an overall amazing character guy who can still chip in for 20-30 pts in Laraque, he only has a year left in his deal, so if it doesn't work, we can cut ties, or sign him again for less...

once again, I think Laraque would be an amazing fit here and really like this roster...

Edited by stevkrause

I like Laraque. He would increase our toughness (so would prune juice) and he can score a bit.

Probably not the best idea I've seen, but certainly not the worst.

That said, there are still others I'd prefer.

i'm a boogard fan myself, but that's a silly thing to say. Problem with Laraque is that no one will fight him really.

...and how is that a problem??

If Laraque wants to be a role-player and not only a fighter, which he has said that he wishes to be...

you put him on that line and see what he can do... if it doesn't work/he doesn't mesh you trade him at/by the deadline or cut ties when his contract expires. You then have a physical and enforcer type presence this team has not felt in years!

Having that intimidation factor alone is a winning situation for the Wings... even if Laraque doesn't get to fight much.

I like Laraque. He would increase our toughness (so would prune juice) and he can score a bit.

Probably not the best idea I've seen, but certainly not the worst.

That said, there are still others I'd prefer.

depending on the number... I'm sure there are better choices...

like I said though, I am an unapologetic Laraque slappy and would just love to see him in the winged wheel... he's an AMAZING character guy, does an obscene amount in the community and will go through a wall for his teammates... and he showed that given the chance, he can put up 30 pts in a season as well... I just think he would gel so obscenely well with this team and would have a career year point wise in Detroit...

...and how is that a problem??

If Laraque wants to be a role-player and not only a fighter, which he has said that he wishes to be...

you put him on that line and see what he can do... if it doesn't work/he doesn't mesh you trade him at/by the deadline or cut ties when his contract expires. You then have a physical and enforcer type presence this team has not felt in years!

Having that intimidation factor alone is a winning situation for the Wings... even if Laraque doesn't get to fight much.

my thoughts exactly!

Guest micah

I would love to see Laraque in a Wings uniform.

That said, I don't think Laraque would be very happy to be in a Wings uniform. Dude belongs in MTL. They love him there, he loves it there.

He is, without a doubt, one of the best people in the NHL. Everywhere he goes, he's a fan favorite and an asset to the community. I don't know of any players more involved in charity work than Laraque has been throughout his carreer.

On the ice he's great on the boards, but that's about it. He's certainly as agood a fighter as anyone in the league, but he so seldom makes an example of someone who cheapshots a teammate that he can't really be called an enforcer. I prefer top heavies to behave like Boogaard and Brashear, but whatya gonna do? That isn't Laraque's style.

I would take Laraque in a heartbeat, but maybe if I were Holland I'd hessitate. He's kinda pricey. I would rather see my favorite team be stacked with people I like, even if it means not winning as much. I'd take Laraque for any price. I can understand why Kenny might not.

Edited by micah

Lesser teams than Detroit have benched Laraque in the playoffs... and I just think he is a terribly ineffective enforcer -- he is not much of a deterrent to the type of thing the Wings need to be worried about (cheap shots and the like) because he refuses to fight anyone that is not a bonafied heavy weight and is willing to go in a premeditated fight. Wings fans would crucify him after a week of watching our guys get run aand Laraque doing absolutely nothing about it.

Lesser teams than Detroit have benched Laraque in the playoffs... and I just think he is a terribly ineffective enforcer -- he is not much of a deterrent to the type of thing the Wings need to be worried about (cheap shots and the like) because he refuses to fight anyone that is not a bonafied heavy weight and is willing to go in a premeditated fight. Wings fans would crucify him after a week of watching our guys get run aand Laraque doing absolutely nothing about it.

Agreed. Don't forget Georgie Porgie's pissy conniption fits whenever he gets benched in the playoffs or regular season for uninspired play and unwillingness to compete. That would last about a day under Babcock, where he'd be forced to skate.

Laraque is horrible. The only thing he can do is fight and he hardly ever drops the gloves.

He doesnt drop the gloves because no one has the balls to drop them with him. (i.e. role players such as Datsyuk, Hank, Lids.... etc are safe from being screwed with) because no one wants to answer to Laraque

There may be better people out there, but are they going to come at a bargain like Laraque probably would?

Edited by raasc1dj

Laraque is horrible. The only thing he can do is fight and he hardly ever drops the gloves.

9 majors last year and steadily had 15-30 points a year from 00-07 on 4th lines... also is a career +7.. ALSO on 4th lines...

I don't know, I think he'd have a breakout year here, like 30pts, a steady 8-10 minutes a night...

He doesnt drop the gloves because no one has the balls to drop them with him. (i.e. role players such as Datsyuk, Hank, Lids.... etc are safe from being screwed with) because no one wants to answer to Laraque

There may be better people out there, but are they going to come at a bargain like Laraque probably would?

The Ruutus, Cookes and Otts of the world will not be deterred one bit from cheap-shotting our players, with Laraque in the lineup.

That is what Detroit needs to be concerned about -- not having a lumbering oaf available to square up with Parros.

Agreed. Don't forget Georgie Porgie's pissy conniption fits whenever he gets benched in the playoffs or regular season for uninspired play and unwillingness to compete. That would last about a day under Babcock, where he'd be forced to skate.

look at the talent (or lack thereof) that he had to play with his whole career... he'll NEVER be confused with a point machine, but he can plant his ass out front and get garbage goals IF he has teammates that can actually get the puck to the net... just as we've seen with others (Clearly, Samuelsson) players raise their game when they come here...

Laraque is a great fighter and a great guy, but those assests are part of the problem....

Nobody wants to fight him because there's very few in the league in his class, nobody wants to get pummelled in a pointless fight.... He's too gentlemanly even on the ice, He doesn't intimidate anyone.... All guys know is they just have to say no [read: Lucic], they know they're not gonna get sucker punched or blindsided by him if they do.... Which is why, while one of the best fighters in the league, he's simultaneously one of the worst enforcers (as someone previously claimed)

Edited by T-Ruff

9 majors last year and steadily had 15-30 points a year from 00-07 on 4th lines... also is a career +7.. ALSO on 4th lines...

I don't know, I think he'd have a breakout year here, like 30pts, a steady 8-10 minutes a night...

Any basis for this thought? He had 29 points nine years ago. Should the Wings also try to sign Sandy McCarthy?

Nine majors in a season does not equal enforcer. The Habs got physically ran over bad in the playoffs just two and a half months ago, and Laraque didn't do a damn thing but BS with Cabbie on the Street.

Guest micah

That's exactly it thoough, lesser men know that Laraque won't pummel them, even with cause.

If Laraque is Kane's teammate, Franzen still takes Kane's mouthpiece out. If Boogaard or Brash are, Franzen doesn't even look at Kane...and if he did, I have no doubt that either of them would eff up his world.

Laraque is a fair grinder and is strong on the puck, he's a better player than most tough guys. He just isn't all that mean. If I were his coach, I'd tottaly put IcyHot in his jock.

he sure saved Komi from Lucic last year. Yes Laraque is one of the better fighters in the league, but he in know way is an enforcer. He only fights(hugs) other teams goons, if we get an enforcer I want one who will make anyone pay that screws with our players. If we get a goon I want to get a real goon.

Laraque is awful. A fighter who thinks he's a scorer and who no one really dares to fight. He's also slow.

nobody is scared to fight laraque, if people were willing to fight Probert and Kocur, people sure as f*** aren't scared to fight huggy bear. He is an enforcer who doesn't even like to fight.

Any basis for this thought? He had 29 points nine years ago. Should the Wings also try to sign Sandy McCarthy?

Nine majors in a season does not equal enforcer. The Habs got physically ran over bad in the playoffs just two and a half months ago, and Laraque didn't do a damn thing but BS with Cabbie on the Street.

and 24 pts just 2 years ago... and Laraque couldn't do anything while he WASN'T playing in MTL...