• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wings1110

boo hossa?

Rate this topic

Is it possible to boo Hossa for the logo on the front of his sweater rather than the name on the back? This means, of course, that my disdain for Hossa is no more or less than my disdain for Toews, Kane, etc. But it is disdain nonetheless.

There is a fine line, you know, between some good-natured booing, and the nasty, boorish booing we hear in some places. I'm merely suggesting the former.

This. And this goes the same when Pittsburgh fans booed Hossa as well. Fans are going to boo sometimes or go with the cool hip trendy thing that fans do for fun.

However, I've seen plenty of hypocrisy in here regarding Hossa. General consensus in here was that Pittsburgh fans were absolute retards in booing Hossa because he was just a playoff rental or for whatever other reasons and he went to a team that Pittsburgh dislikes right now.

What happens now? Hossa goes to a team that Wings fans also hate to a certain degree as well. And of course plenty are acting like a bunch of whiney saps just like were making fun of Pittsburgh fans for.

Ironic, hypocritical and very funny.

Don't come back at me with Hossa was here for a full season instead of just a playoff rental. We all knew he might just be here for one season, a "rental" in a different type of sense. And he came here at a discount. Yes, I don't like that he didn't produce all that well overall in the playoffs.

If you are going to boo, fine. I certainly won't be able to stop you. If you boo him though on the basis for leaving to Chicago, very hyopcritical given that plenty in here made fun of Penguins fans for doing the exact same more/less.

I personally think there's nothing wrong with jeering players. Not because they didn't score any goals for us in the SCF the season before they left our team for another.........not because they didn't choose to continue to play for our team at the well known "hometown discount"........not because they left our team to play for a long time divisional rival......not because they've cheapshoted our star players in the past........how about, BECAUSE THEY ARE THE OPPOSITION.......THE ENEMY......THE GUYS WHO WANT TO END OUR SEASON......or maybe, just maybe, because getting on opposing players just might make the Joe an even tougher, more intimidating place to play. The toughest places in the league to play are usually the ones with the most hostile crowds (western Canada swings to Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver always come to mind). Booing is really no different than the chants of a goalie's name after an opposition score and I'd think has a similar purpose.....to get under the player's skin. It's all part of the game, and it's here to stay. Get used to it.

Who cares if people boo someone? Are you afraid we might hurt Hossa's feelings? Will it make Detroit look bad? Do you really think of all the things going on in Detroit someone is going to watch a hockey game and hear some of the crowd boo Hossa and think, "Wow, what a horrible city. A city that boos a player is obviously not a nice place. I now put Detroit on a list of cities I don't respect."

It makes us look like pathetic loser *******. You go with a bud to a party. His ex-tramp he dumped ugly is heckling him calling him a looser and other obvious, shallow, bitter barbs. Who are you laughing at for being the pathetic loser *****? Your bud? I don't think so. Pittsburgh looked pathetic for booing him every time he touched the puck. Whatever else anyone thinks of Detroit, we won 4 cups in the last 13 years more then any other team. Why would we be a bunch of bitter whores over someone who left us in one year we didn't expect to keep in the first place? Wouldn't a fan with pride think it was HIS loss, not theirs?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090702/SP...olts+to+Chicago

Read that and then tell me you want to boo the man. As a self-respecting human being, he could not take 3-4 million a season to play here. When we signed Franzen, we essentially chose Franzen over Hossa. He was here for a great season and both the Wings and Hossa will say that there is no animosity. It just wasnt meant to be. Booing him would just make us look like fools. He doesnt deserve that.

EDIT: Im all for booing an entire team when they announce their names on the PA but only players like Pronger should be booed every time they touch the puck.

Edited by skyphoenix

It's my understanding that Hoss and Franz both had open contract offers at the same time during the season. For discussion purposes, had Hossa signed the deal first, what would have happened with Franz before July 1? I'm thinking (to once again use that ole' tired ass pharse) the "hometown discount" would have been much more in play. What do you think?

I think Franzen already took a discount compared to what he would have gotten as a free agent, to say he would take even less might be pushing it a little bit. I still feel like it was one or the other and never both as far as retaining them went.

It's my understanding that Hoss and Franz both had open contract offers at the same time during the season. For discussion purposes, had Hossa signed the deal first, what would have happened with Franz before July 1? I'm thinking (to once again use that ole' tired ass pharse) the "hometown discount" would have been much more in play. What do you think?

From what I understand, once the Zetterberg deal was done, Holland started talking to Hoss and Mule. Although there were some preliminary talks with Z and Mule from the start of the season, he couldn't talk to Hossa until after Jan 1 due to Hossa having a 1-year contract.

Once Z was signed, it came down to whichever of Hossa or Mule would sign first. The other would have to wait until after the season was over and the cap was set due to the tagging rule. (Ask egroen or Drake_Marcus or NFM25 about that stuff. They rule at that sort of explaining.)

Anyway, as to your question about hometown discounts, I agree that if we'd signed Hossa first, that Mule would have been more likely to go for the hometown discount. On the flip side of the coin, the same desire to stay in Detroit is likely what caused him to make sure he was signed first. He may well have figured what he could get on the open market and decided that what the Wings were offering was a discount that he was comfortable with in exchange for being the one that was sure to be signed.

I think two things come into play here. 1) Hossa has spent much less time in Detroit. 2) Hossa was set to get more on the open market.

That and we have a lot of Swedes :P

I don't blame Johan for wanting to stay more. I don't blame Hossa for seeing what he could get. In a way, I almost feel sorry for Hossa. He could have gotten a lot more in the long run had he just skipped the whole Detroit deal. Although, Tallon did say (in a tv interview on the Hawks site) that Hossa wanted the year in Detroit to learn from the best, and both Hossa and Tallon feel that he did. Nice compliment.