• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hey Hey Hockeytown!

Wings will re-sign Leino to a 2-year deal

Rate this topic

The San Jose Mercury News initially reported this whopper of a Red Wings-related tidbit...

July 3, Mercury News: Detroit may announce a two-year deal for restricted free-agent forward Ville Leino as early as today. But general manager Ken Holland is "not optimistic" that he'll be able to keep unrestricted free agent Mikael Samuelsson, who is seeking a long-term deal averaging upwards of $2 million a year.

Which is part of a superb report by the Free Press's Helene St. James, detailing the Red Wings' attempts to re-sign Ville Leino and Jiri Hudler:

July 3, Detroit Free Press: The Red Wings may announce a two-year deal for restricted free agent forward Ville Leino as early as today.

But general manager Ken Holland said Thursday he's "not optimistic" that he'll be able to keep unrestricted free agent Mikael Samuelsson, who is seeking a long-term deal averaging upwards of $2 million a year. The Wings want to keep Samuelsson closer to $1.5 million a year.

Restricted free agent Jiri Hudler plans on filing for arbitration before the weekend. At that point, the Wings can choose whether the arbitrator should decide on a one-year or two-year deal. Hudler, 25, who made $1.15 million last season, will see his salary increase anywhere from the $2.5 million the Wings are offering to possibly an award in the $3.5-million to $4-million range. If the Wings don't like the arbitrator's number, they can trade Hudler.

"The math is simple," Holland said. "At the end of the day, when the season began we had five guys who were in line to become unrestricteds. We were proactive with two -- we got Henrik Zetterberg done, and then we got Johan Franzen done. I'd like to have Sammy back. I'd like to have Hudler back. But it's a cap world. We can only do so much."

Filing for arbitration, in case you didn't know, locks a player into finding a contract solution with his NHL team--whether that means that the two agree to a contract before arbitration, that the team agrees to the joint NHL-NHLPA-appointed arbiter's decision, that the team agrees to the offer and trades that player's rights, or, very rarely, that the team simply walks away from the player and basically dares other teams to bid over the offer. It precludes other teams from firing restricted free agent offer sheets a player's way.

MLive

Edited by Hey Hey Hockeytown!

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I have unrealsitcally high expectations for this kid.

Guest Shoreline

Good news all around.

Although, Mlive might want to get their source correct, since they didn't link to the San Jose Mercury, but the Contra Costa times (East Bay), which is a further emphasis of the "of all places" phrase.

Thats cool, but we still need a solid 3rd/2nd liner to replace Sammy. Larose was my first choice and judging by that contract, we totally could have afforded to keep Hudler and sign him. Right now, I'm hoping for either Koivu or Bertuzzi. We do need one offensive sign.

Great news!! Leino is going to be a very good player, I expect big things from him next season just as long as he gets solid ice-time. :thumbup: If we can sign him cheap it'll be even better.

Samuelsson, well I'll miss his play in the playoffs and for that reason there's a part of me that is sad to see him leave but his constant frustrating play means this is a good thing long-term.

Sounds like Hudler might not be back either, that is extremely disappointing. :(

Travis Moen would be a SOLID pickup.....but as a grinder. He wouldn't replace Sammy as a 20 goal scorer. I'm still hoping for Koivu or Bertuzzi. However, Moen would be an awesome addition either way.

Fil did the same thing last year.

Yup, for the same reason. I doubt it will go to arbitration, it is his way of saying I cannot recieve an offer sheet I want to be a Red Wing lets make this work. I bet he signs a few days before he is scheduled for arbitration.

Great news about Leino. I'm really excited to see how he does with a full NHL season.

$2.5M at the least for Hudler?? I was hoping we could get him for about 2 mil. Hmm, not sure how I would feel about paying Huds 3+ mil. He's worth it on other teams, but maybe not here.

Guest mindfly

Freakin sweet to get rid of Samuelsson, never could i stand that guy... with his constant cheapshots after whistles

I will wait for the official word before I get excited about Leino. However, it this is indeed true. That is fantastic. Leino is a great young player and I'm really glad to see him get a contract to stay in Detroit for at least 2 years or however long the Wings sign him for. Damn I wish the Cap would have grown by a Mill or Two.

i'm with holland in that this really is simple math. if sammy or hudler demand more than 1.5 or 2.5 respectively, let them walk. one can be replaced through free agency and the other doesn't need to be because there's kids waiting in the balance in grand rapids that deserve the roster spot.

its really not as complicated as some are making it out to be.

and... its not as though rosters need to be in place by the end of the week. let traverse city give you the best picture of who's ready and ice the one(s) that pass the test and give the team the best chance to win.

:yahoo:

Next, ink up Travis Moen and then :champs:

Travis Moen? What is everyones obsession with this guy? the guy has played 400 NHL games in the last 5 seasons combined. In that time he has only had 56 total points. I havent seen him play that much, so maybe i just need some education. I understand that hes a big body, but does he play like a big guy? Ive never seen him fight or anything, so i have no idea if the guy is even a fighter. but if you ask me, there has got to be a guy out there who is big and plays physical but can still put points on the board. I just dont see a reason to replace Hudler who scores you 20-30 goals a season with a big body that will maybe get you 10 goals. If he plays physical he is more than likely going to lave us short handed more times than Hudler does, but hes not going to put up as much offense as Hudler does. If you ask me we need to go out for a guy that can play physical but still put up the points that we will lose in Hudler if we can resign him. We already lost 40 goals in Hossa, 20+ in Sammy, and if we lose hudlers 20-30 goals, we lose a TON of offense. Replacing that with a guy that will do some hitting but will not chip in offensively doesnt make alot of sense to me. I for one hope that we resign Hudler, and last i heard he filed for arbitration which gives us a pretty good chance of resigning him. If we do resign Hudler, i could see us then trying to go out and getting a physical guy. Again i havent seen Moen play that much, but if thats who you want, i think we also need to keep Hudler. I would give Mark Bell a shot over Moen if you ask me. A former 1st round pick (8th overall) who has had some personal problems which have kept him from the NHL and taken alot of attention away from him. I think he would be a good camp invitee and if it all pans out, sign him for cheap to a one year deal and give him a chance to prove he can play. The only thing that sucks about this years camp is that it is extremely short which limits most chancs of giving Moen or Bell an invite. I dont think that holland would sign Moen or Bell to a contract without seeing how both play first, so i dunno what the chances are of getting either guy.

Edited by Hank Dats 'N Homer