• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Holland IS Searching for a Free Agent!

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!
There's a reason why Comrie has been on a handful of teams so early in his career; he's not as good as he thinks he is.

As much as it pains me to say this...I'd rather have Hudler re-signed instead of Comrie joining the Wings.

:puke:

What if the Wings let Hudler go and used that money on Moen and Grier?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Moen-Draper-Grier

Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lilja-Ericsson

Lebda

Osgood-Howard

Correct me if you think I am wrong here, but Hudler is a RFA that is going to arbitration, and people are discussing players that are way down every GM's list to replace him... I find that head scratching...

Guest Hatethedrake!
Correct me if you think I am wrong here, but Hudler is a RFA that is going to arbitration, and people are discussing players that are way down every GM's list to replace him... I find that head scratching...

I look ahead to the playoffs and think guys like Moen and Grier are more of what we need. Size, grit and snarl. We already have more than enough finesse and skill. Plus Hudler will likely be getting somewhere between 2.5 and 3 mil. I'd rather have 2 players for that money and build up our 4th line. Not so much for the regular season but for the playoffs.

In the end I expect Kenny to keep Hudler. I just do not know how he is going to sign a gritty UFA forward once Hudler gets his money. Lilja will have to be either traded or put on LTIR and even then we're talking a 500 k signing. What can we really get for that? I see Dan Fritsche is an UFA and he is only 23. When Columbus had him, I thought he would make a great checking line centre. He has bounced around alot for a young guy. At 23, the Wings may be able to make a player out of him. Maybe it could be like when the Wings gave Cleary a chance.

He's not real gritty but why not Mike Comrie. He's not the best of goal scoers but can play both wing or center.

That's not what the scouting reports are on Vielleux..... he can play a physical game. This was one of my choices for the Wings to sign instead of Hudler..... oh well... Tampa Bay got a good checker for cheap.....

STORY:

The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed free agent left wing Stephane Veilleux today, Executive Vice President and General Manager Brian Lawton announced.

"Stephane is a prototypical two-way player," Lawton said. "He plays a gritty game and is responsible in the defensive zone while also adding scoring depth for us. This is a great signing for us as we continue to build our organizational depth."

Veilleux, 6-foot, 190 pounds, has played in 361 career NHL games, all with the Minnesota Wild. He has amassed 43 career goals and 90 points. Veilleux was the eighth player in Wild history to play 300 games. He has also appeared in 11 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

A native of St. Georges de Beauce, Quebec, Veilleux played in 81 games with Minnesota last season, recording 13 goals and 23 points. He established career highs in games played, goals, points, shots on goal with 146 and average time on ice with 15:47. Veilleux scored 10 of his 13 goals last season with his team trailing by one or with the score tied. He also ranked second on the Wild in hits with 98.

Veilleux was drafted by Minnesota in the third round, 93rd overall, of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

With Hudler gone we need to revisit our gritty forward free agent choices:

Travis Moen: 925 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Has good size and a sound work ethic. Possesses team skills and is a solid role player. Kills penalties with aplomb and adds toughness to the lineup.

Flaws

Lacks natural talent, so he tends to struggle in the National Hockey League when given too many responsibilities and extra ice time.

Career potential

Physical, checking winger.

Chris Gratton: 1.25 M

Scouting Report

Assets

Has a great combination of size and two-way savvy. Displays decent hands and a mean streak. Is solid on face-offs and sound defensively.

Flaws

Has questionable hockey sense, which limits him in the scoring department. Isn't as complete a player as his package suggests.

Career potential

Checking line forward.

Jason Ward: 700 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Works hard every shift and knows how to take care of his own end. Doesn't mind playing a crash-and-bang style. Is a quality teammate.

Flaws

Doesn't own top-end skating ability, which hurts his level of production. Has had trouble finding his niche in the NHL. Is too inconsistent.

Career potential

Checking line forward.

Manny Malhotra: 1.5 M

Scouting Report

Assets

Is an accomplished defensive forward. Has good size, speed, leadership qualities and face-off ability.

Flaws

Has not met offensive expectations. Lacks both confidence and polish in the offensive zone. Is somewhat prone to injury.

Career potential

Checking center.

Marcus Nilson: 1.0 M

Scouting Report

Assets

Has sound checking ability and plays with tremendous energy and grit. Uses his body effectively and is incredibly versatile in defensive situations.

Flaws

Is not a big goal-scorer, since his hands are below average. His work ethic has led to plenty of injury trouble throughout his NHL career.

Career potential

Checking line winger.

Brad Isbister: 650 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Possesses a tremendous physical package and plenty of pro experience. Is effective in the corners and can play either wing position if need be.

Flaws

Has not been able to shake the tag of chronic underachiever. Doesn't use his size nearly enough to maximize his offensive game. Misses too many chances.

Career potential

Reserve winger.

Taylor Pyatt 1.575 M

Assets

Has a good combination of size and skating ability. Is a sound body checker. Defensively aware, he also displays flashes of offensive ability.

Flaws

He lacks the consistency needed to play a top-six forward role in the NHL. Struggles in the hockey sense department and doesn't use his size enough.

Career potential

Big-bodied, underachieving winger.

Tom Kostopoulos 900 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Likes to play a north-south game and is strong along the wall. Defensively responsible, he's also a great leader in the room.

Flaws

Has limited scoring ability at the NHL level, and doesn't do enough in other areas to see regular playing time in the big league.

Career potential

Fourth line winger.

Mark Bell 2.5 M.... can be had for cheap

Scouting Report

Assets

Is most effective when playing a very physical style. Has two-way ability and some offensive upside. Owns the versatility to play all forward positions.

Flaws

Was expected to put up bigger numbers. A lack of consistent play are at the root of Bell’s problems. Also lacks discipline, on and off the ice.

Career potential

Top six forward.

Edited by Icesurfer

Huh? We just lost 23 goals and 57 points all on top of having already lost 65 goals in Hossa and Sammy, and your response is "f*** scoring, we need more grit!". Dude, we just lost 88 goals from last season. I could care less about Hossa's 40 goals because the team was better without him in 07-08 when they focused on winning with defense. Last year they fell back on scoring more than the other guy, regardless of whether or not that meant letting in 4 goals-- just score 5. That doesn't win cups and we knew going into the post season that it wouldn't work.

Yes- we need a free agent forward that grinds and more importantly- makes our PK not blow donkey nuts.

BUT- our more pressing need is a top six forward. We lost two so far. Hudler and Hossa were among the top six scoring forwards for us both regular and postseason.

Why is the scorer more pressing right now? Because there are far less of those to go around. We can get the grit for a cheap price. Scoring on a budget is much tougher.

Edit: I do like some of the guys on your list for the 12th forward position.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Huh? We just lost 23 goals and 57 points all on top of having already lost 65 goals in Hossa and Sammy, and your response is "f*** scoring, we need more grit!". Dude, we just lost 88 goals from last season. I could care less about Hossa's 40 goals because the team was better without him in 07-08 when they focused on winning with defense. Last year they fell back on scoring more than the other guy, regardless of whether or not that meant letting in 4 goals-- just score 5. That doesn't win cups and we knew going into the post season that it wouldn't work.

Yes- we need a free agent forward that grinds and more importantly- makes our PK not blow donkey nuts.

BUT- our more pressing need is a top six forward. We lost two so far. Hudler and Hossa were among the top six scoring forwards for us both regular and postseason.

Why is the scorer more pressing right now? Because there are far less of those to go around. We can get the grit for a cheap price. Scoring on a budget is much tougher.

Well said!!!

I dont see the need for the top 6 forward. If Leino does his job, Zetterberg, Cleary and Holmstrom bounce back, we're fine. If we're better defensively and tougher, harder to play against, we wont have to rely so heavily on high octane offense.

NOT going to find a high scorer for 1,797,333.00 mil..... which is what the Wings really have left. And in the words of Babcock... "This is an opportunity for someone else". This may mean more ice time for Leino, Helm, Abdelkader & Filppula.

WINGS DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE THE 80 OR SO GOALS THEY LOST...... THEY NEED TO CUT DOWN THE EXTRA 60 GOALS THEY ALLOWED FROM THE PREVIOUS YEAR.

Stop thinking about trying to achieve the same offense..... It is NOT going to happen NO MATTER who they get!!!!!! They will never replace those goals lost.... period!

Wings need to fix the DEFENSE!!!!! If you cut the goals allowed down from 244 back down to 184, as in the championship year, that takes care of those extra goals needed.......

Common sense!!!!!

Defense wins champioships..... NOT offense!

We need GRIT..... winning battles along the board for the puck..... getting the puck out of our zone without turning it over and leaving Osgood hanging out to dry.

Edit: I do like some of the guys on your list for the 12th forward position.

TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!!!!!

NOT going to find a high scorer for 1,797,333.00 mil..... which is what the Wings really have left. And in the words of Babcock... "This is an opportunity for someone else". This may mean more ice time for Leino, Helm, Abdelkader & Filppula.

WINGS DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE THE 80 OR SO GOALS THEY LOST...... THEY NEED TO CUT DOWN THE EXTRA 60 GOALS THEY ALLOWED FROM THE PREVIOUS YEAR.

Stop thinking about trying to achieve the same offense..... It is NOT going to happen NO MATTER who they get!!!!!! They will never replace those goals lost.... period!

Wings need to fix the DEFENSE!!!!! If you cut the goals allowed down from 244 back down to 184, as in the championship year, that takes care of those extra goals needed.......

Common sense!!!!!

Defense wins championships..... NOT offense!

We need GRIT..... winning battles along the board for the puck..... getting the puck out of our zone without turning it over and leaving Osgood hanging out to dry.

Did you forget the defensive turnovers that led to the winning goal in game 7???

As we ALL saw in the playoffs.... good offense is ALWAYS shut down by good defense...... Good defense wins CUPS ...... as it did for Detroit 2 years ago when we did NOT have those extra Hossa goals!!!!!

And no one said one word about f*ck scoring..... there are a few on my list who can give you 15-20 goals on a Wings team.

Edited by Icesurfer

Guest Hatethedrake!

I wonder if Kenny has Petr Sykora on his radar. He's 32 (33 in November) and has won 2 Cups (NJ and PIT). He scored 25 goals last season with the Pens and made 2.5 mil.

This is hilarious. We were better without those "extra Hossa goals?" As if Hossa and his allegedly "non-gritty" 40 goals are the reason we s*** the bed defensively last season? Nevermind the fact that Hossa is excellent defensively and had little to do with how bad we were. It's tough to find a blame for our defensive woes(maybe losing McLellan?), considering we basically won the Cup with that same group. Adding Hossa helped, not hurt our chances - and blaming anything on him is asinine.

We didn't lose to Pittsburgh because we couldn't play defense or we weren't gritty enough.. Last I checked, we scored 2 goals total in games 6 and 7 - and we led the NHL in defense during the post season. Kneejerk responses to our meltdown are expected, but please don't sit there and beg Holland to sign a bunch of two-bit scrubs thinking they're going to make up for the talent we just lost. We lost Hossa, Hudler, and Sammy...but all we need is GRIT from Bell and Moen??? WHOOO YEAH BABY!! GRIT! That makes sense.

(PS: Didn't we outhit everybody we faced in the playoffs - including the All-North American Gritty Ducks of Anaheim? Yeah. We did.)

This is hilarious. We were better without those "extra Hossa goals?" As if Hossa and his allegedly "non-gritty" 40 goals are the reason we s*** the bed defensively last season? Nevermind the fact that Hossa is excellent defensively and had little to do with how bad we were. It's tough to find a blame for our defensive woes(maybe losing McLellan?), considering we basically won the Cup with that same group. Adding Hossa helped, not hurt our chances - and blaming anything on him is asinine.

We didn't lose to Pittsburgh because we couldn't play defense or we weren't gritty enough.. Last I checked, we scored 2 goals total in games 6 and 7 - and we led the NHL in defense during the post season. Kneejerk responses to our meltdown are expected, but please don't sit there and beg Holland to sign a bunch of two-bit scrubs thinking they're going to make up for the talent we just lost. We lost Hossa, Hudler, and Sammy...but all we need is GRIT from Bell and Moen??? WHOOO YEAH BABY!! GRIT! That makes sense.

(PS: Didn't we outhit everybody we faced in the playoffs - including the All-North American Gritty Ducks of Anaheim? Yeah. We did.)

Petr Sykora

Scouting Report

Assets

Has improved in the NHL since moving to right wing, where he can use his speed to blow past defenders and release his deceptive shot from anywhere.

Flaws

Gets rattled in physical contests. Still needs work in his own zone and must play a more consistent offensive game.

Career potential

Top six forward.

You are chasing goals again for a higher price than 1.7 mil without any grit...... Wings do NOT need this kind of player. Wings need a two-way player who is tough to play against. Wings lost too much size and physical strength in Hossa, Kopecky, Sammy and Lilja (if on LTIR). Lilja was an excellent shot blocker..... maybe not good fighter..... LOL... Kopecky and Sammy were not afraid to mix it up...

seriously how did we lose 80 something goals? Are you telling me the people we are replacing them with will not score a single ******* goal this entire season? Money says whoever replaces Hossa will probably score more in the postseason then he did last postseason

seriously how did we lose 80 something goals? Are you telling me the people we are replacing them with will not score a single ******* goal this entire season? Money says whoever replaces Hossa will probably score more in the postseason then he did last postseason

exactly! That's why we do not need to go chasing after a goal scorer for $2.5- $3 mil... who is a one dimensional... one-way player.

Between what Leino, Helm and Abdlekader and Filppula on the PP will contribute, all the Wings need to do is cut down those extra 60 goals they allowed this year and they will be JUST fine!

Travis Moen: 925 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Has good size and a sound work ethic. Possesses team skills and is a solid role player. Kills penalties with aplomb and adds toughness to the lineup.

Flaws

Lacks natural talent, so he tends to struggle in the National Hockey League when given too many responsibilities and extra ice time.

Career potential

Physical, checking winger.

Chris Gratton: 1.25 M

Scouting Report

Assets

Has a great combination of size and two-way savvy. Displays decent hands and a mean streak. Is solid on face-offs and sound defensively.

Flaws

Has questionable hockey sense, which limits him in the scoring department. Isn't as complete a player as his package suggests.

Career potential

Checking line forward.

Jason Ward: 700 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Works hard every shift and knows how to take care of his own end. Doesn't mind playing a crash-and-bang style. Is a quality teammate.

Flaws

Doesn't own top-end skating ability, which hurts his level of production. Has had trouble finding his niche in the NHL. Is too inconsistent.

Career potential

Checking line forward.

Manny Malhotra: 1.5 M

Scouting Report

Assets

Is an accomplished defensive forward. Has good size, speed, leadership qualities and face-off ability.

Flaws

Has not met offensive expectations. Lacks both confidence and polish in the offensive zone. Is somewhat prone to injury.

Career potential

Checking center.

Marcus Nilson: 1.0 M

Scouting Report

Assets

Has sound checking ability and plays with tremendous energy and grit. Uses his body effectively and is incredibly versatile in defensive situations.

Flaws

Is not a big goal-scorer, since his hands are below average. His work ethic has led to plenty of injury trouble throughout his NHL career.

Career potential

Checking line winger.

Brad Isbister: 650 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Possesses a tremendous physical package and plenty of pro experience. Is effective in the corners and can play either wing position if need be.

Flaws

Has not been able to shake the tag of chronic underachiever. Doesn't use his size nearly enough to maximize his offensive game. Misses too many chances.

Career potential

Reserve winger.

Taylor Pyatt 1.575 M

Assets

Has a good combination of size and skating ability. Is a sound body checker. Defensively aware, he also displays flashes of offensive ability.

Flaws

He lacks the consistency needed to play a top-six forward role in the NHL. Struggles in the hockey sense department and doesn't use his size enough.

Career potential

Big-bodied, underachieving winger.

Tom Kostopoulos 900 K

Scouting Report

Assets

Likes to play a north-south game and is strong along the wall. Defensively responsible, he's also a great leader in the room.

Flaws

Has limited scoring ability at the NHL level, and doesn't do enough in other areas to see regular playing time in the big league.

Career potential

Fourth line winger.

Mark Bell 2.5 M.... can be had for cheap

Scouting Report

Assets

Is most effective when playing a very physical style. Has two-way ability and some offensive upside. Owns the versatility to play all forward positions.

Flaws

Was expected to put up bigger numbers. A lack of consistent play are at the root of Bell�€™s problems. Also lacks discipline, on and off the ice.

Career potential

Top six forward.

Joel Ward resigned with Nashville....But he would have been a GREAT fit IMO

Absolutely!!!

And I am glad you are enjoying it!!!

In the previous 12 years Detroit has AVERAGED 196 goals against. Last year the Wings allowed 244 goals. 48 MORE GOALS than their previous 12 year average.

Obviously the defense stunk.... and in last radio interview Holland said as much and he knows Detroit needs to change that.

The previous high was 210 goals.

It is very obvious....

I really can't tell if Icesurfer is serious. This is hilarious.

Absolutely!!!

And I am glad you are enjoying it!!!

In the previous 12 years Detroit has AVERAGED 196 goals against. Last year the Wings allowed 244 goals. 48 MORE GOALS than their previous 12 year average.

Obviously the defense stunk.... and in last radio interview Holland said as much and he knows Detroit needs to change that.

The previous high was 210 goals.

It is very obvious.... even a dimwit can figure that out....

We lost to the Pitts because of poor defense and defensive turnovers.

Everyone knows that defense wins championships.

Is that really the reason? Pittsburgh has one of the better offenses in the league, yet in the final 2 games, only scored 4 goals, Detroit scored 2. Timely turn-overs by Stuart handed the Penguins the cup, but the reason Detroit lost was lack of offense. Either one of those final games could've been won with just one timely goal.

Detroit should have won game 7 by a score of 1-0. Both goals resulted from turnovers in the defensive end if I recall right.... Pitts also played half the game without Cindy. Playing good defense and getting the first goal was the key. The Pit'ts defense was better than Detroit's as they shut down Hossa and the Wings despite the Wings playing the last half of the game almost entirely in the Pitt's zone.

At any rate the defense last year stunk and was the worst since 1994.

TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!!!!!

NOT going to find a high scorer for 1,797,333.00 mil..... which is what the Wings really have left.

Wrong. The Wings have 2.6 million left to sign 2 forwards assuming they want to keep 8 d-men. If they trim it down to 7 d-men they have over 3 million to sign two forwards. Cut 600k off there to pick up a grit player with PK skill and you have at least 2.6 million to sign a top six (depending on which d-man you drop).

Capgeek is wrong. I have the spreadsheet sitting in front of me that I've used to calculate this. And my numbers agree with what Holland's said in interviews. Otherwise there's no way he could say they would be able to afford Hudler at 2.5 million without trading off players other than making a single move on defense.

If you read what I said I specifically stated that the defense needs to improve and the PK has to be fixed by picking up a good grinding PK guy.

At this point you're just quoting people then screaming at the keyboard with your fingers about whatever the hell you feel like screaming about.