• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pat

Predict The Wings Next Season

Rate this topic

Vote in each category  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally, I'm sick of all the people complaining about what a terrible off season the wings have had.

Clearly the wings want to stay competitive for along time, and by not locking up yet another player to a lifetime deal it gives them the room to bring it the players for the system.

Vote for what you think will happen next season.

Who exactly is going to dethrone us? San Jose is probably in the worst cap situation imaginable and is likely going to self destruct before October; Chicago, while talented, still lacks the experience, depth, and skill that the Wings have. Columbus and LA are in the same boat. Anaheim lost its best defensman and one of the primary reasons why they made it as far as they did.

While we did lose Hossa, Kopecky, Conklin, and Sammy, the only one really detrimental to us is Conkin, as Howard still seems to have a shaky foundation. The Wings are offensively gifted and deep enough to get by without Hossa and the detriments that signing him would have brough. Kopecky and Sammy were the LGW whipping twins. I'm pegging the Wings as the favorites to win the Cup, despite likely media cock-sucking for Chicago and Pittsburgh.

100+ points, almost for sure. Either 3 or 4 30-goal scorers; I wouldn't be surprised if both Z and Mule broke 40. The seed is an interesting question. I imagine they'll be first, second, or fourth. Chicago has a legitimate shot at the division this year which would almost certainly put the Wings in fourth. If they win the Central, then there'll be competition from the Northwest for the number one seed, but the Pacific division winner is probably certain to hold third.

There you have it. You heard it here first.

I think they'll be fine. A healthy Cleary all year has the potential for 20-30 goals, a healthy Homer has the potential for 15-20, Franzen will probably get 30+, Z will probably get 30+, Datsyuk probably will as well. Fil needs to score more, Leino needs to score some goals, Helms speed will get him some goals, Abby can score some goals. Malts and Drapes... they just need to play physical. It'll be a different season, but it could be a great one.

Who exactly is going to dethrone us? San Jose is probably in the worst cap situation imaginable and is likely going to self destruct before October; Chicago, while talented, still lacks the experience, depth, and skill that the Wings have. Columbus and LA are in the same boat. Anaheim lost its best defensman and one of the primary reasons why they made it as far as they did.

While we did lose Hossa, Kopecky, Conklin, and Sammy, the only one really detrimental to us is Conkin, as Howard still seems to have a shaky foundation. The Wings are offensively gifted and deep enough to get by without Hossa and the detriments that signing him would have brough. Kopecky and Sammy were the LGW whipping twins. I'm pegging the Wings as the favorites to win the Cup, despite likely media cock-sucking for Chicago and Pittsburgh.

I agree. Despite losing Hossa, I think we are in better shape than most of the contenders in the west. Chicago will be good but I feel like that will just give the wings something else to play for this season, trying to win the division for what the 10th straight year? Anaheim will be good, but like you said losing Pronger, as much as I hate the guy, is going to hurt them.

Wings will win the Stanley Cup next year. I'd rather rock out with kids from Grand Rapids than pay alot of money to a free agent that doesn't show up in the playoffs. Not saying anything bad about Hossa, I've liked him since he came up with Ottawa, but for the type of money he was getting, he should have produced more against the Pens.

Are people forgetting that this is essentially the same roster that won in '08?

The Wings needed to get younger anyway. The only differences between this team and the '08 squad are Kopecky (who didn't play in the playoffs that year), Drake, and Samuelsson. In their places are Helm, Abdelkader, Leino, Ericsson, likely another UFA, and possibly a deadline acquisition. On top of that, Hudler and Filppula (assuming Hudler stays) should be ready to take on bigger roles.

They'll have some growing pains in the beginning of the season (like they did in '06-07 post-Yzerman and Shanahan) but they'll finish with around 100 points as usual.

I'm going to say three 30 goal scorers, 2nd in the West, 101-110 points.

If they're healthy they have as good a chance as anyone in the playoffs.

It's funny, people ***** and ***** about Samuelsson and Kopecky for years and when they finally leave it's the apocalypse. Hossa's loss hurts but he was a luxury, not a necessity.

The Wings will be a well above average team next year, but they won't go about breaking records and stuff like last year. They'll probably be a 1st or 2nd seed in the playoffs.

I'm concerned about this coming season for the following reasons:

1) Two straight years to the finals == lots of mileage on those legs

2) Compressed schedule because of the Olympics

3) The Wings' best players will be playing in the Olympics

4) Starting the season in Sweden

Now note that I said, "Concerned" not, "Crying like the 'Leave Britney Alone' person." It's hard enough to win a Cup. These things just make it that much tougher. Obviously, if they can avoid injuries, everything will be fine. If they can't, all bets are off.

well said! I personally like the media cock-sucking best! :s***eatinggrin: :thumbup:

Edited by servo

I'm concerned about this coming season for the following reasons:

1) Two straight years to the finals == lots of mileage on those legs

2) Compressed schedule because of the Olympics

3) The Wings' best players will be playing in the Olympics

4) Starting the season in Sweden

Now note that I said, "Concerned" not, "Crying like the 'Leave Britney Alone' person." It's hard enough to win a Cup. These things just make it that much tougher. Obviously, if they can avoid injuries, everything will be fine. If they can't, all bets are off.

Good points, im also willing to bet just like previous years the wings will have to play the most back to back games of any teams in the regular season..

Honestly the wings undoubtabley have the team to make it to the finals for the third year in a row, but all other factors are against them. Im preditcting the wings make it to the conference finals, while getting hit with the injury bug again, and go out in 7 games. (Opponent unknown) Also don't expect the leagues brillant scheduling or officiating to get any better either..

Edited by tommingthepuck96