• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 octopusonice

octopusonice

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

As long as the Wings make it into the playoffs solidly (no 'backing in') they have a shot to win the Cup. This team still has a solid roster in spite of the loss of free agents. I'll take their playoff experience over anyone else's.

The reality is that KH's hands were tied and there wasn't much he could do under the circumstances. To sign a big name person at a big name salary would have meant mortgaging the future. I would rather see the team risk not going as far in 2009-10 than to bet everything on the next season and be in salary cap hell for five years.

After the 2009-10 season, it looks like some cap room will open up and KH will have more options. Hopefully the next cap stays about the same.

#42 blackbarbie11

blackbarbie11

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

I predict that the Red Wings are going to have a great 2009-2010 season!

#43 WingsCaptain

WingsCaptain

Captain For The Ages

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (RedFX @ July 5, 2009 - 05:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
105-110 pts....No worse than 2nd....Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen each get 30+

Precisely what I think. 105-110 point range, 2nd overall in the West (behind San Jose), and Z, Dats, and the Mule all break 30. For the record, I think Z gets over 40 like he did before Hoss got there. They did it before without Hoss and they'll do it again. I also think Datsyuk finally breaks the century mark in points.

For anyone that thinks Chicago wins the division, I can tell you why they won't in one word: Huet.

For the OP, what happened to the option for 91-94 points? You put 70-90 (option #1) and 95-100 (option #2).

Finally, you can tell the Red Wing haters voted ... 8 of 'em said we'd get between 70-90 points on the year. Um, hey guys here's a trivia question for you. Name the last team that won 50 or more games for 4 consecutive seasons (meaning they also had 100 or more points each year) that just happened to do so in the 4 most recent seasons:

A) Detroit Red Wings
B) Detroit Red Wings
C) Detroit Red Wings
D) Detroit Red Wings

Answer: A, B, C, or D

Edited by WingsCaptain, 07 July 2009 - 01:41 PM.

#44 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

There is NO WAY we don't win the division. I say around 110ish point, Z, Dats, and Franzen get 30+. I think Homer gets around 20, and Clearly gets around 25.

We finish first in the Division and get Nashville in the first round of the playoffs.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#45 bellarina

bellarina

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

60 WINS!

and

champs.gif
com mas bacalhao filho!
CR 7

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (puckloo39 @ July 7, 2009 - 12:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's because Hossa won games for them they would have lost by scoring more than were let in. Remains to be seen who will step up offensively if Ozzie is last in the league next season, too. No Conklin, either. unsure.gif

Good points - when Ozzie struggled Conks came in, and played great when he was needed to.

This year if Ozzie struggles, or God forbid goes on LTIR we'll be relying on Howard scared.gif

Chicago (even with Huet) will be a force to reckon with; even more now with Hossa.

Me thinks the chances of us finishing 1st in our division will be a challenge to say the least...Finishing 2nd in the Central is a very likely scenario which would most likely give us the 4th, or 5th seed in the conference.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#47 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

It's going to be tough to stay fresh through the playoffs with half our team in the olympics.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (stevieisthebest @ July 8, 2009 - 08:40AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's going to be tough to stay fresh through the playoffs with half our team in the olympics.

...and playing into June this past spring, and starting the 2009/2010 season in Sweden...

Gonna be a long season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#49 Nicklin3011

Nicklin3011

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (MadMan Mark @ July 6, 2009 - 04:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wings get back to the Finals and face either Washington or Boston. I think the Pens flame out in Round 1 or 2. Chi keeps us honest in the reg season, but their D is mediocre and Huet is nowhere near the caliber of the Bulin Wall. SJ is in cap hell, Ana lost a lot of toughness with the departures of Pronger and Beauchamin. No one in the Northwest scares me. Van has Roberto "I never Won Anything" Luongo and the Flames run out of gas. Wild are trying a new system.

West seems to be a one-team conference, but we'll see who rises as the reg season plays out.

Wings statement is always made by collecting 16-20 wins in Oct/Nov. If Wings can have another fast start, the rest of the division, this year, will be playing catch up with Detroit.

Medicore Defense??? LMAO

SEABROOK KEITH!!!! BARKER HJALMARSSON!!!!! CAMPBELL!!!! WOW.

#50 WingsCaptain

WingsCaptain

Captain For The Ages

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Nicklin3011 @ July 8, 2009 - 01:15PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Medicore Defense??? LMAO

Guess they don't teach sentence structure or spelling in Chicago.

Anyway, yes, a mediocre "D" compared to Detroit. Campbell has been a friggin' no-show since getting his pay-out after one decent season, for the amount of money he is being paid. Some of the 'Hawks' D are pretty good, but Hjalmarsson? Seriously? Keith & Seabrook were each a -3 against the Wings in the playoffs, and Campbell was a -5. Like I said, decent "D," depending on with whom you are comparing them ...

~ Z

Edited by WingsCaptain, 08 July 2009 - 12:47 PM.

#51 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Medicore Defense??? LMAO

Get real, Hjalmarsson is an average stay-at-home defender at best. Barker, Keith and Seabrook are all fairly strong but none of them had a good WCF. Campbell was better for us than he was for you. Your D is nothing to be bragging about, bud.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#52 DatsyukownzU13

DatsyukownzU13

http://throwthewingup.blogspot.com/

• Gold Booster
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

95-100
3, 30+ goal scorers
4th place in the west.

#53 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

Yeah... you people are over reacting.

I voted essentially what was last year...95 - 100 points, 2nd seed, and three 30 goalers in Z, D, and F

Second seed is generous if all the supposed favorites are as good as expected (i.e. Chicago, San Jose, etc.)

#54 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

Medicore Defense??? LMAO

I'll give the first two for sure. Barker and Hjalmarsson I like, but I'd rather have our Stuart - Kronwall pairing.

But yes, Campbell is mediocre and his 7 million+ is fuuuuuuuuuuny.

#55 Dan Bylsma

Dan Bylsma

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

I'll predict the wings to finish with anywhere from 35-45 points and start a sting of 8-10 years out of the playoffs.

#56 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Dan Bylsma @ July 8, 2009 - 03:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll predict the wings to finish with anywhere from 35-45 points and start a sting of 8-10 years out of the playoffs.

You know it's been a while seen I've seen a Pens fan on here.

#57 C-TownWing

C-TownWing

Little Ball of Hate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ July 8, 2009 - 08:55AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me thinks the chances of us finishing 1st in our division will be a challenge to say the least...Finishing 2nd in the Central is a very likely scenario which would most likely give us the 4th, or 5th seed in the conference.

Agree...we won the division by 8 points this past year and were a better team on paper then (as opposed to now), while the Hawks are a better team on paper now (as opposed to then).

I went with 4th seed, but with triple-digit points, and Mule, Z, Dats scoring 30.

Want to be fair and give the kid a chance, but I'm not tremendously confident in Howard if Ozzie leaves his game in the playoffs again. Where would we have been without Conks last year? The Sweden thing worries me too--pretty much every team who's started overseas to this point has admitted to a hangover afterward, and it's probably supported by the records.

All of that said, that tag "best 8 seed in the history of the universe" thing we threw on the Ducks comes to mind. We'll be a tough out in the playoffs just like they were.

#58 Dan Bylsma

Dan Bylsma

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ July 8, 2009 - 03:46PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know it's been a while seen I've seen a Pens fan on here.

the wings have got to stop knocking themselves out in the regular season. I've looked at their record for the last 15 years and how they've piled the points up and then get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd rounds sometimes. Which is more important,having something left in the legs deep into the playoffs or playing at home ?

#59 HawksFan4Life

HawksFan4Life

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Louisville @ July 8, 2009 - 02:27PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll give the first two for sure. Barker and Hjalmarsson I like, but I'd rather have our Stuart - Kronwall pairing.

But yes, Campbell is mediocre and his 7 million+ is fuuuuuuuuuuny.

Seeing as how Hjalmarsson has played only 34 career games, I can understand why. However, 2-3 years down the road, I'd like to see if you change your mind, cause he is promising.

To be honest, you guys were the only team I feared of facing. I said back in December that if we could avoid facing you guys, we have a good shot of being Western Conference champs. I believe that if we played Anaheim, we would've won that series.

#60 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Dan Bylsma @ July 8, 2009 - 04:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the wings have got to stop knocking themselves out in the regular season. I've looked at their record for the last 15 years and how they've piled the points up and then get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd rounds sometimes. Which is more important,having something left in the legs deep into the playoffs or playing at home ?

Some of those years are after they've won Stanley Cups. Some are simply the maturity process that allowed Yzerman/Fedorov or Datsyuk/Zetterberg with Lidstrom along the ride for both eras to get playoff experience. Also, as implied in the sentence before, some of those years were simply transition years into new eras. On an average team that might look like just missing the playoffs. I wouldn't call it knocking themselves out but just a gradual growth process.