• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Detoxified

Wings agree to terms with three players.

Rate this topic

I've seen Kris Newbury many times over the past several years when the Marlies came to town to play the Griffins. He'll challenge some of the prospects to be one of the first few callups to Detroit.

Pretty cool that you've actually heard of him.

Newbury was supposed to be a top-sixer in the NHL years ago. He was one of those guys who had huge scoring numbers in juniors but was small, so he dropped a few rounds. A guy with good puck skills and speed, Newbury was still expected to break through but never did; he spent his time bouncing around the minors until he finally broke through with Toronto in 2006-07. Later that season, however, he ended up getting his head bashed in during a fight with Ronald Petrovicky, giving him a season-ending concussion.

He would play 28 of his total 82 games for the Leafs the next season, and 1 of his 34 this past year was in the NHL.

Hopefully, he can be a strong veteran influence on the kids in Grand Rapids if nothing else.

Best case scenario: Newbury plays his way into being the next Maltby.

Guest REDWINGSFTW

''The detroit redwings have agreed to terms with three players, including former Toronto maple leafs fowards kris newbury and jeremy williams. Also travis ehrhardt, who is a defenseman.''

These seem like mediocre grinders i dunno why we signed them.

Guest mindfly

Interesting as of late, wings drafted toughguy callahan, inked newberry and janik... three "fighters/tough guys" not very red wing like....

but change is good :)

Edited by mindfly

Jeremy Williams has a lot of upside, but is oftenly injured. I still can't figure why the Leafs sent him back down so many times, he put up good numbers pretty much every time he was called up.

He'd be good for the first couple games that he'd be called up, then he'd completely disappear. He doesn't do anything at all that you need out of 3rd or 4th liners, so unless he's playing top-six minutes and scoring, he's useless.

The Wings signed three guys to the minor leagues in their mid-to-late twenties, all of whom are essentially brawlers.

The Wings were noticeably smaller than the Pens this year and lost A LOT of battles in the corners. I'd never presume Babcock made a wrong move based on my own level of knowledge, but it seemed a player like they could've used Downey or Mac to stir the soup a bit.

Another question I can't help but ponder is the effectiveness of their fourth line as a shut-down defensive core. Maltby was -13 this past regular season and Draper was -9. That said, they rarely score, so that plays a part. Still, while Hank's line shut down Crosby's, we had no answer for Malkin's line, despite Pav and Hossa being great defenders. Meanwhile Anaheim had Niedermayer's (Rob) line which shut down Pav's and was a big reason that series went seven. I think with the extra cap we have with Hudler gone, getting a big, mean shut-down guy to play with Draper and Maltby would really help. No one really comes to mind unfortunately. Any enforcer + defensive whizzes out there on the cheap?

They look like some pretty good signings but I'm not sure when or if we'll see them in the NHL. Maybe a call-up here and there but it will probably take a while for them to make the step to the Wings roster if they ever do. Good signings though Wings!!

The Wings signed three guys to the minor leagues in their mid-to-late twenties, all of whom are essentially brawlers.

The Wings were noticeably smaller than the Pens this year and lost A LOT of battles in the corners. I'd never presume Babcock made a wrong move based on my own level of knowledge, but it seemed a player like they could've used Downey or Mac to stir the soup a bit.

Another question I can't help but ponder is the effectiveness of their fourth line as a shut-down defensive core. Maltby was -13 this past regular season and Draper was -9. That said, they rarely score, so that plays a part. Still, while Hank's line shut down Crosby's, we had no answer for Malkin's line, despite Pav and Hossa being great defenders. Meanwhile Anaheim had Niedermayer's (Rob) line which shut down Pav's and was a big reason that series went seven. I think with the extra cap we have with Hudler gone, getting a big, mean shut-down guy to play with Draper and Maltby would really help. No one really comes to mind unfortunately. Any enforcer + defensive whizzes out there on the cheap?

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Pavs played 3 games in the finals and Malkin had ZERO points in those 3 games. Explain then how

we had no answer for Malkin's line, despite Pav and Hossa being great defenders.

We lost becuase of injuries to Pavs, Lids, Rafalski, and Cleary. Plain and simple. Mac or Downey would not have made any difference.