• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HawksFan4Life

Versteeg resigns with Chicago

Rate this topic

I don't think they can ascend in the life of a contract or Holland would have taken that into consideration regarding Hossa and the money opening up next year. I had asked the same question about a month ago.

OK, Hawksfan, if cap drops and excess bonus money is applied to next year, how do they sign anyone next year? Even if the cap stays the same, I see this as a one-year shot at the Cup. After that, 2 of 3 previously mentioned players, Kane, Keith, Toews, will be gone elsewhere

Well first of all John Madden is a one year rental, which means that is some money freed up. Huet will have two years left on his contract, so the less years on the contract, the more open someone will be. IF we can only keep one, we HAVE to keep Toews. Period. My idea earlier was sign long term, but less money.

I think Toews is the logical choice to keep of the 3. I don't think Huet goes away. Even with less years on his contract, it's still a $5.6M hit.

Hawksfan - of the Hawks signed, who can be sent down and not have their salary count against the cap? I guess in order to free up space without losing players, they will first exercise that option since it means they don't lose the player or rights.

So let's say they're just making all these signings to trade them later on. Of course, other teams will be aware of their situation and will use it to their advantage within trade disparities. I guess something is better than nothing. If they didn't sign these guys, and they become UFAs, they could lose them for nothing right?

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. I am really thinking that they are intending to trade a big contract.

It's this guy and I'm sure he's a really good fan. Not trying to bust his nuts. Just pointing out how quickly things can change, that's all.

Oh, I know man.

I was just saying that so that he doesn't get ripped in this thread. You know how some people here bash posters that are fans of other teams for no reason (i.e. Pens fans, well some deserved it)?

Just wanted to say that the 'Hawks fan's I've seen on here are pretty cool, not trolls.

Well first of all John Madden is a one year rental, which means that is some money freed up. Huet will have two years left on his contract, so the less years on the contract, the more open someone will be. IF we can only keep one, we HAVE to keep Toews. Period. My idea earlier was sign long term, but less money.

Good point on Madden. Figure that the Salary Cap goes down next year though. That could possibly void that contract, it's like you didn't even drop Madden's salary off the books if the cap goes down in 2010-2011.

Just something to chew on.

Yeah I know. I'm getting worried. Is Tallon really doing his job? He sits on Khabibulin and Havlat and gets nothing done, but signs all these people. Too bad there is a salary cap in the NHL. If there was no cap I'd be telling you all that we will rule for years to come. However, who knows.

No cap no Hossa for the 'Hawks. He really wanted to be a Wing and would've signed before the playoffs for us were it not for the cap :P

More rules on the fly from the NHL. . . cap applies to all teams in 2009-10 EXCEPT Chicago. That's the only logical explanation, that and Gary Bettman was seen giving Dale Tallon a hummer.

I just don't get the Hawks. They were supposed to be in rebuilding mode. Last year they went out and threw money at older players-- saying "hey fans, don't wait, you'll see a better product TODAY". Ok, but that hurts your ability to keep those young players later. This summer they basically did the same thing. So the quesiton is, why didn't Tallon stay the course last summer?

Toews and Kane are both so young right now, give them more than 2 seasons under their belts before you say "ok guys- this year is our best shot at the cup, have at 'er!"

They made it to the WCF, so that's a big plus, but that should've told the management that the youth is working, not that they need to sign more outsiders to change the dynamics of the club.

Here is what I am not sure of, how to how handle this situation. I have my ideas, but I am no cap expert. So Madman Mark, I really am unsure of who to send down. Possibly Fraser (a 4th line player), maybe Ladd. Sop has to go. That's all I have to say. Nothing against him whatsoever, but he was being paid for doing absolutely nothing last year. We may have to move Ladd too. I really liked him, and we had far and away the best third line in the NHL in Ladd-Havlat-Bolland, but I am glad I'm not Dale Tallon, or else I don't know what to do. My goodness I hope this man has a solution. If not, fire him. If this man DOES have a solution, and it works, he's brighter than Einstein.

MadmanMark- I wish that was the case that the cap didn't apply to us.

Drake- it's called a "Contract year" that means that guys play out of their mind. Since Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabs are all in their final year, assuming this isn't the case that breaks the stereotype, we are gonna see some mad skills out of these 4.

Drake- it's called a "Contract year" that means that guys play out of their mind. Since Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabs are all in their final year, assuming this isn't the case that breaks the stereotype, we are gonna see some mad skills out of these 4.

While that's what you hope for, it's not what you plan for.

For example, Zeterberg's regular season year this year was s*** compared to his regular season year last year. Hossa's playoff year last year was amazing. His year he cost us a cup. :P (if that f***** could've scored once in any of the four games we lost in the finals we would've been golden, but no he s*** the bed when he was the only 100% healthy elite player on the team) :lol:

I'm just saying- not everything goes to plan.

Plus if I were you I'd hope Kane and Toews paly comparitively badly and other players pick up the slack next year. I was happy this year that Z's numbers were down before he signed his contract- helped keep him a bit cheaper.

Your last sentence is true. A good point, but also, if this is the heart and soul of our team, and they are in contract years, they will probably produce big time.

As far as the Hossa thing goes, he lost in the finals just like Zetterberg, Osgood, and Franzen did. So while he contributed to the losing, you can't dub him a scape goat.

For a guy who thought his best chance was to win a Cup with Detroit, Hossa s***-the-bed in helping his own cause. I think he's a great player, but the spotlight was squarely on him in the Finals and he disappeared almost as much as Malkin did the previous year.

I just don't get the Hawks. They were supposed to be in rebuilding mode. Last year they went out and threw money at older players-- saying "hey fans, don't wait, you'll see a better product TODAY". Ok, but that hurts your ability to keep those young players later. This summer they basically did the same thing. So the quesiton is, why didn't Tallon stay the course last summer?

Toews and Kane are both so young right now, give them more than 2 seasons under their belts before you say "ok guys- this year is our best shot at the cup, have at 'er!"

They made it to the WCF, so that's a big plus, but that should've told the management that the youth is working, not that they need to sign more outsiders to change the dynamics of the club.

It's surely going to be interesting, isn't it?

Detroit didn't do this. I tell ya, the last couple of seasons that were lead by the young guns (Zetts/Dats) we've seen the Wings hold up to $5 million in cap space, IIRC. And that was w/ Hasek and Osgood! lol. You didn't see Holland and Company (Bowman) flirt w/ the Cap like this. Now sure, the last 2 seasons, yeah we did. But it workded, reguardless if we lost the last one. It WORKED. Know why? Because our young guys were more experienced! Chicago is not to that point w/ their young guys IMO.

Chicago is really intriguing to me. I only root for Bowman and Hossa over there. And to be frank, I could care less if Bowman wins another Cup. Sure I'd like him to beat out Phil for most Championships, but at this point, he's not a Detroit Red Wing, so it's like a moot point.

I'd like to see Hossa win one, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of the Detroit Red Wings and that isn't handed to them (sorry).

I also don't want to see war in Korea, but what do I know.

Hope I make some sence here. lol

Wow, this just keeps getting better and better. It's like Tallon is tearing himself apart limb by limb.

If he can keep Hossa, Kane, Toews, Keith, Versteeg, and Barker I will gladly tip my hat and say I was wrong. I just can't see it happening because I don't think there is a team dumb enough to take Campbell or Huet.

Edited by Raptor1116

I think the only reason you are down on Hossa was cause of the result. I mean, can you imagine how hard Crosby would've been hit if you guys repeated? If Hossa won the cup, all would be forgotten. No one seems to talk about Crosby not performing in the 4th round as opposed to earlier in the playoffs.

It's simple, the Hawks have $43 million spent for 2010-11, already, and that's when Kane, Toews, Keith, Ladd, Eager, Hjalmarsson and Crawford all become RFA's. The year after that, Seabrooke and Byfuglien are RFA's. That doesn't even include Burish or Madden.

Do the math.

I'm not down on Hossa, I'm questioning the sanity in the Hawks signing him ... and Kopecky.

Out of the big 3, if we can only keep one, let it be Toews. Hopefully Hammer will be willing to sign a bargain deal like Aaron Johnson did.

It's simple Stillwater, hockey is back here in Chi Town. The bar was raised tons this season, we want to win, and expect to win. Obviously Tallon believed that signing Hossa would help.

EDIT: Is there any way that Charles Wang can replace Garth Snow with Mike Milbury? Hell, he signed Yashin to a 10 year contract, maybe he would take Campbell or Huet!!!

Edited by Jedi

It's simple Stillwater, hockey is back here in Chi Town. The bar was raised tons this season, we want to win, and expect to win. Obviously Tallon believed that signing Hossa would help.

EDIT: Is there any way that Charles Wang can replace Garth Snow with Mike Milbury? Hell, he signed Yashin to a 10 year contract, maybe he would take Campbell or Huet!!!

Oh, I get that the bar was raised. After this season, prepare for it to be significantly lowered.

Good luck.

Major meltdown in Chicago. Can't wait to see how this fire sale pans out. Hey, Campbell and Huet are both listed on eBay, starting bid; $0.99 cents- Lol.

:lol:

I'm not bidding until there are 10 minutes left.

Is that really how tough it is to be a Cubs fan? So much investment for a one year window.

To be fair, yes they need to shed some cap space this year, but once they do that it's all about the 2010 Stanley Cup.

Is that really how tough it is to be a Cubs fan? So much investment for a one year window.

Oh you have no idea how much it takes to be a Cubs' fan. Hell, I'd almost consider them the biggest sports fans in the World due to what they endure! LOL. NO JOKE!

Just for the record: I am a die hard Cubs fan. If I had one wish it would be for the Cubs to win the World Series. The Cubs are my favorite sports team. The Hawks are 2nd. I would go to heaven if one (or both) won the championship in their respected sports cause I bleed Cubbie Blue and I bleed Blackhawk red. I was awfully young during the Bulls 90's runs, and 2005 was horrible, a nightmare beyone belief. Super Bowl 41 is the closest I have gotten, and that resulted in heartbreak.

Edited by HawksFan4Life

I've lived in Cleveland... That pretty much sums up my counter post.

Hmm, let's see.

Cubs last World Title: 1908

Indians last World Title: 1948

Cubs last appearance: 1945

Since 1945: 1948, 1954, 1995, and 1997 Cleveland has won the pennant. In terms of baseball they're no where near as unfortunate as us.

Edited by HawksFan4Life

Hmm, let's see.

Cubs last World Title: 1908

Indians last World Title: 1948

Cubs last appearance: 1945

Since 1945: 1948, 1954, 1995, and 1997 Cleveland has won the pennant. In terms of baseball they're no where near as unfortunate as us.

But being two outs away from hoisting the World Series trophy in '97 was just as heartbreaking, for sure. At least it was to me. Yeah, I'm a Tribe fan.

Right or wrong, I still despise Jose Mesa to this day.