• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HawksFan4Life

Versteeg resigns with Chicago

Rate this topic

But being two outs away from hoisting the World Series trophy in '97 was just as heartbreaking, for sure. At least it was to me. Yeah, I'm a Tribe fan.

Right or wrong, I still despise Jose Mesa to this day.

Don't mean to make this off topic, but I can relate in 03 5 outs from a pennant. Cleveland could've scored another run in the 9th and Mesa would get the save.

Uhmmm, Chicago is going to trade players off or this is not going to work. NOBODY will take Campbells contract.... NO-Fuggen-Bowdy!!!

Im actually entertained by Chicago's stupidity. Lets see where this goes.

well it is another good contract for a very talented young player. f*ck knows how they are gonna get under the cap though!!

whatever they do next year - they have to re-sign keith and toews. they will have to trade some other guys to open up the space but they just cannot let either of those 2 get away.

Chicago is fine. The have over $5 million in bonuses. They can exceed the cap by 7.5% due to those bonuses, which means their salary cap this year is $61.06 million. Of course, whatever bonuses are triggered will count against the cap next year, which means they are completely f***ed next year.

Chicago will be fine. It's wishful thinking. How many times have we said that a team is going to collapse due to the cap, (including myself) only to have the team succeed? Everyone said it about the Wings, we're fine. Everyone said it about the Pens, they're fine. Everyone is saying it about Chicago, they'll be fine.

Ken Holland is a bonafide genious, but I think we tend to forget that other GM's can handle working under the cap too, especially when they have a quality team. This renaissance all but assures Toews and Kane will sign for bargains next year.

However, I don't think Chicago really made any brilliant moves. Hossa was a nice signing, but I don't recall any team winning the Cup because they added a forward recently. Defense wins Cups, and while Chicago has a nice defense corps, they're weak in goal and other teams (Calgary, Detroit) have better defenses.

Major meltdown in Chicago. Can't wait to see how this fire sale pans out. Hey, Campbell and Huet are both listed on eBay, starting bid; $0.99 cents- Lol.

lol....sounds like a bargain,

until you check the seller's feedback!

I'm curious about something. All this talk about needing to get rid of Huet's salary (in addition to Campbell)...er, with Khabibulin gone, who ends up between the pipes then? A rookie, I'm gathering? That seems a tad risky, no matter how promising that rookie may be.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/

I didn't want Versteeg resigned. I mean, I did, because I liked him, but I feel we had to dump him in order to preserve cap space.

But we're going for it this year. I want a cup in the worst way. I am more than just a huge Hawks fan, I am someone who truly bleeds the Red, Black, and White. That's an understatement. I am really worried about the future. But for 2009-2010, buckle those seatbelts baby :)!!!

hahahaha

Good luck but first you will need a new coach, a new goaltender and an experienced captain with some leadership ability.

It's a shame that Chicago has thrown everything into this year and doesn't have a plan for the future. The best odds of any one team winning the cup is only about 4:1. It's just a very hard championship to win. For a team to put all their eggs in 1 basket is stupid...

Chicago will be fine. It's wishful thinking. How many times have we said that a team is going to collapse due to the cap, (including myself) only to have the team succeed? Everyone said it about the Wings, we're fine. Everyone said it about the Pens, they're fine. Everyone is saying it about Chicago, they'll be fine.

Ken Holland is a bonafide genious, but I think we tend to forget that other GM's can handle working under the cap too, especially when they have a quality team. This renaissance all but assures Toews and Kane will sign for bargains next year.

Actually, Chicago won't be fine. According to nhlnumbers.com, they have $3 mil left. Nobody big is expected to come off the books and if the rest of the league is smart, they won't trade with them and just pluck away what they need. If they need a winger, grab Kane. A center? Take Toews. A defenseman? How about Keith. At this point I'm thinking that Tallon knows something about the salary cap for next year, that we don't.

The Wings didn't collapse because of the cap because we have one hell of a farm club and a great GM that knows what he's doing. The Pens are somewhat fine because they didn't have a lot of high priced players on their team when they signed Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal to extensions. The Hawks have too many high priced players now to do what the Pens did.

Unless Kane and Toews sign one year deals worth practically nothing, they're done. They both have HUGE paydays coming up and I don't see the Hawks with the spending cash to do it.

Does anyone know where to find up-to-date rosters and cap numbers, or can they post them for Chicago next season? nhlnumbers and nhlscap are both lagging behind at the moment.

The thing about Chicago is they are either purposely risking the rebuilding future of the franchise for a Cup win this season or they were told the salary cap was an old wives tail. Their problems aren't the signing this season, they were the two last season when they paid their #4 defenseman $7mil+ and their back-up goaltender $5mil.

The latter is the one that for me kills any chance of a Cup win in their one year window. No matter how great your team is, when your goaltender is anchoring your cap with $5mil hit and he folds like a lawn chair, you're pretty much doomed.

Does anyone know where to find up-to-date rosters and cap numbers, or can they post them for Chicago next season? nhlnumbers and nhlscap are both lagging behind at the moment.

The thing about Chicago is they are either purposely risking the rebuilding future of the franchise for a Cup win this season or they were told the salary cap was an old wives tail. Their problems aren't the signing this season, they were the two last season when they paid their #4 defenseman $7mil+ and their back-up goaltender $5mil.

The latter is the one that for me kills any chance of a Cup win in their one year window. No matter how great your team is, when your goaltender is anchoring your cap with $5mil hit and he folds like a lawn chair, you're pretty much doomed.

http://nhlnumbers.com/

Best site ever for this.

Here is a post from another board I posted about the Hawks and their signings.

"This is why I think the signing of Hossa and Kopecky, they were a packaged deal I'm sure, was stupid. They would have plenty of cap space, $6.5mil about, was it not for those deals and still been a good team. Now they are gonna have to trade away guys who helped out the team last year. Why mess with chemistry? I know people will say well Hossa is better then them. My response is "so?" This team was a young team on the rise. You wouldn't want to try one more year of it? They've got enough talent there to win without Hossa, they proved it this year, they just needed to get some experience. I also hear the response that this team is more talented now and all you have to do is look at Hossa's last team, actually last two teams for that response. Pens were more talented in 08 than in 09 and yet they won the Cup in 09. Wings were more talented in 09 and won in 08. I sure hope the Hawks don't regret this. "

6 mil tied up in Versteeg and Barker, 5 in Hossa, 1.2 in Kopecky, all going into next year. Madden, Eager, Brouwer, Johnson and Fraser will all be gone next year to make room. The Hawks have one year to win the Cup with an all star team.

Your last sentence is true. A good point, but also, if this is the heart and soul of our team, and they are in contract years, they will probably produce big time.

As far as the Hossa thing goes, he lost in the finals just like Zetterberg, Osgood, and Franzen did. So while he contributed to the losing, you can't dub him a scape goat.

Osgood deserves no blame though- you have to admit he was amazing in games 6 and 7- if we had won he was the guaranteed Conn winner. Zetterberg had a productive series against the Pens but chose the wrong two games to get cold. Franzen was kind of disappointing against the Pens.. he had an open net on two seperate occasions and either whiffed it or couldn't raise the puck a few inches. If Franzen made either of those shots the game would've been in the Wings' hands.

Your last sentence is true. A good point, but also, if this is the heart and soul of our team, and they are in contract years, they will probably produce big time.

As far as the Hossa thing goes, he lost in the finals just like Zetterberg, Osgood, and Franzen did. So while he contributed to the losing, you can't dub him a scape goat.

Osgood deserves no blame though- you have to admit he was amazing in games 6 and 7- if we had won he was the guaranteed Conn winner. Zetterberg had a productive series against the Pens but chose the wrong two games to get cold. Franzen was kind of disappointing against the Pens.. he had an open net on two seperate occasions and either whiffed it or couldn't raise the puck a few inches. If Franzen made either of those shots the game would've been in the Wings' hands.

hahahaha

Good luck but first you will need a new coach, a new goaltender and an experienced captain with some leadership ability.

It's a shame that Chicago has thrown everything into this year and doesn't have a plan for the future. The best odds of any one team winning the cup is only about 4:1. It's just a very hard championship to win. For a team to put all their eggs in 1 basket is stupid...

Toews doesn't have leadership ability? With all due respect I don't know how much of the NHL you follow outside of your team.

Tell me something. Do you honestly think your team can win with Huet?

If he has a team in front of him, why not? Huet was no Khabibulin, but nonetheless, he still helped us into the playoffs. Huet reminds me of that pitcher in the big leagues who gives up runs, but nonetheless, wins games with that run support. I think that though Huet may have his lumps, this team is that talented that we can bail him out.

If he has a team in front of him, why not? Huet was no Khabibulin, but nonetheless, he still helped us into the playoffs. Huet reminds me of that pitcher in the big leagues who gives up runs, but nonetheless, wins games with that run support. I think that though Huet may have his lumps, this team is that talented that we can bail him out.

That may be all fine when playing a team that doesn't shoot the puck often, but what's the plan when facing a team that does shoot from everywhere inside the blueline with somebody parked in front of him? And in all honesty your D is good, but not great.

Well I'll give you that much- the team in front of Huet is very good and very deep. And it's not like mediocre goalies don't win cups- is Huet really much worse than Fleury? Fleury is pretty inconsistent and has as many s***ty games as he does dominant ones. Huet isn't much worse.