• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

egroen

Holland confirms that Hudler will play in KHL

Rate this topic

Holland plans on trading a defenseman from last season's roster. The most likely defenseman to be traded is one of Lebda or Lilja. If Lebda is dealt, the Wings have just shy of $2.5m in cap space. If Lilja is dealt, the Wings have just over $3m. The Wings certainly can still afford to sign Hudler or a replacement for him. The problem, of course, is whether Holland and Babcock really want Hudler back. If they don't want to bring Hudler back, then it's pointless to try and figure out how the Wings could sign him because it wouldn't happen even if they had $10m in cap space for one open spot for the next twenty years. But if they really are trying to bring Hudler back, it's simply a matter of getting the right deal done.

Holland plans on trading a defenseman from last season's roster. The most likely defenseman to be traded is one of Lebda or Lilja. If Lebda is dealt, the Wings have just shy of $2.5m in cap space. If Lilja is dealt, the Wings have just over $3m. The Wings certainly can still afford to sign Hudler or a replacement for him. The problem, of course, is whether Holland and Babcock really want Hudler back. If they don't want to bring Hudler back, then it's pointless to try and figure out how the Wings could sign him because it wouldn't happen even if they had $10m in cap space for one open spot for the next twenty years. But if they really are trying to bring Hudler back, it's simply a matter of getting the right deal done.

Lilja isnt going to be traded. Its going to be either Meech or Lebda. MLive has stated that soooo many times now.

Lilja isnt going to be traded. Its going to be either Meech or Lebda. MLive has stated that soooo many times now.

Then it's Lebda. Meech is cheap and a stopgap at forward. Plus I remember some article that listed Brett Lebda among some of the best skaters in the league. He'll be easier to sell.

And MLive can predict the future? s*** man, thanks for the tip! I'm gonna go ask MLive which horses to bet on in next years Derby!

And MLive can predict the future? s*** man, thanks for the tip! I'm gonna go ask MLive which horses to bet on in next years Derby!

You do that. Besides, its not like they actually interview Ken Holland or anything. You know, that guy who like does stuff with things in some sports organisation? The Detroit....Pistons they're called?

It was actually a swedish interview -- and he did say it, but more as a metaphor for how much he enjoys playing hockey at the pro level.

I read it too. He said he'd be willing to play for 30,000 per month, or something crazy like that.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007/08/li...ng_q_and_a.html

I was wrong on the number, he says he'd play for 4,500 per month.

You do that. Besides, its not like they actually interview Ken Holland or anything. You know, that guy who like does stuff with things in some sports organisation? The Detroit....Pistons they're called?

Lilja is more likely to be traded than Meech.

Why?

Because they would be trading a defenseman for cap space.

Meech uses less cap space than the league minimum salary. Lilja uses nearly three times as much. Meech is young and improving, as well as capable of playing forward if necessary.

That said, Lebda is more likely to be traded than Lilja. Lilja is the team's best shot blocker and one of the best PKers on the team. Which means Lebda is the most likely defenseman to be dealt. Meech and Lebda are very similar players and Lebda has been stagnating while Meech has been improving. Meech is cheaper and younger, and more versatile.

Lilja is more likely to be traded than Meech.

Why?

Because they would be trading a defenseman for cap space.

Meech uses less cap space than the league minimum salary. Lilja uses nearly three times as much. Meech is young and improving, as well as capable of playing forward if necessary.

That said, Lebda is more likely to be traded than Lilja. Lilja is the team's best shot blocker and one of the best PKers on the team. Which means Lebda is the most likely defenseman to be dealt. Meech and Lebda are very similar players and Lebda has been stagnating while Meech has been improving. Meech is cheaper and younger, and more versatile.

I wonder why Holland told them Meech could be traded then...clearly he hasnt got all of the latest statistical information plastered all over his walls.

I wonder why Holland told them Meech could be traded then...clearly he hasnt got all of the latest statistical information plastered all over his walls.

Wings are cap strapped... Meech can back up as 7th d man or 13th forward, makes $483 cap hit... You can not replace him for a cheaper price... Trading Meech makes no sense he is the guy if someone gets hurt he replaces for the tilt, and after which the Wings call up one of the 2 way guys to cover for whomever is injured... If not Meech you have to sign 2 guys at least for league min. Or you can find a guy to do the same job for more...

Not in response to the quote, but I guess I am one of the few that prefer keeping a 6 year young, faster, better all around talent in Lebda over Lilja... If I was counting on Lilja for top 4 minutes maybe, but for 3rd pairing no way...

Seems alot of good teams are getting better while the Wings are getting worse1

I think we are adding by subtracting to be honest. we loose the WE GOT STARS, WE CAN SCORE ANY TIME WE WANT and now we have to go back to what makes the wings, the wings and that is unselfish 2-way play.. atleast thats what i hope.

but i'am nothing more then estatic that Hudler is gone.

Still seems to be as though there is a tiny chance he's back with the Wings...

Holland said Svoboda told him the Wings' made a fair offer. Hudler earned $1.15 million last season. The Wings offered him his choice of a three-, four- or five-year deal, believed to average between $2.5 million and $3 million a season. "The dollars are dramatically higher than what we're able to do in a cap world,'' Holland said. "I made what I felt was a very fair offer.''

All about the money. Jiri. <_<:(

Edited by Aussie_Wing

How is this anymore confirmation? It confirms he signed a contract and it confirms arbitration will still be heard... Exactly what changed?

And yes if I were Hudler I would seriously look at a 2.5 mil 1 year deal, I do not think I would sign a 5 year deal for that... He could stop progressing and make anything a bad signing but if he keeps progressing you are talking comparable players in there mid 20's for a long term deal would be looking at 4 mil I would say... 2.5 mil for 1 year yes, for 4 or 5 years no way...

What is this all about anyway?? What is Hudler leaving for, the money or what? This really surprised me, I didn't see this coming.

More ice time, closer to home, more money, 30% fewer regular season games etc...

Ok officer month and a half. Mods can feel free to merge it, but I felt like it needed its own thread, as this pretty much seals the deal. This article confirms from Holland himself (which no previous report has) that Hudler will not be returning.

Edited by ShanahanMan

It would have been nice to get a pick from from an NHL team that would have offered more. Kind of sucks seeing Huds go, but at the least, Huds made the Wings aware of his intentions somewhat early. Looking like a youth movement on the Wings roster this year... and yeah, that isn't a bad thing.

I'm actually really excited to see how this effects the Wings. I wonder how the team will or won't do well. I think if they struggle, it'll build character. I'm still hopeful for the lines thought of before:

Zett-Dats-Homer

Leino-Flip-Mule

Abby-Helm-Cleary

Oulahen/X-Draper-Maltby

Lids-Rafi

Kron-Stuart

Lilja/Lebda-Big Rig

Ozzie

Howard

I think that the 4th line spot is the one to fill... if not something in our own system, throwing in Moen or someone like him would be cool. I'm just excited going into a season with so many questions.

PS: I don't think Howard is the answer as a back-up, but he should at least get a shot to show that. I think that Larsson, if he can past his conditioning issues, will be decent goalie for the Wings in the future.

If he goes that just shows that getting paid is more important than competing in the top league in the World. If thats the case good riddance. Id rather have players that want to work and play in the top league instead of taking the easy way out and jumping to the KHL.