• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

egroen

Holland confirms that Hudler will play in KHL

Rate this topic

Good for Jiri. At the end of the day, this is a business - and Jiri made the best business decision possible. He'll be getting double/triple the salary without any taxes, and he'll still have a window to return to the NHL in the future and collect even more bank(provided he continues to improve).

Sucks for the Wings, but there's no room to feel sorry. We still have a top 6 most teams would kill for, and Holland will have to dig a little deeper to find some guys in free agency. Thought processes like Brave_heart's are naive at best - we are not better losing so much skill. We do still have a lot of talent, and it's time for guys like Flip and Leino to step it up on the second line.

Another year of Homer on the top line doesn't inspire much hope for me.

I don't necessarily agree with Homer there, either... but really, he and Cleary are interchangeable. I'd much rather have Cleary there, but Homer isn't retiring this year and needs to go somewhere. Who knows, maybe he was more hurt than usual, hence his dried up performances.

If he goes that just shows that getting paid is more important than competing in the top league in the World. If thats the case good riddance. Id rather have players that want to work and play in the top league instead of taking the easy way out and jumping to the KHL.

I'm a bit conflicted about that. Sure it seems kinda greedy, but he obviously would have received a way larger offer through arbitration and would have gotten at least 3 million if he signed with another NHL team. The fact is, because the only way to receive more money was to sign with another NHL team, he decided just to leave, as he only wants to play for Detroit....

If he goes that just shows that getting paid is more important than competing in the top league in the World. If thats the case good riddance. Id rather have players that want to work and play in the top league instead of taking the easy way out and jumping to the KHL.

Don't be so jaded. There doesn't appear to be anything easy about his decision. Those top-tier Euro leagues are not that far off from the NHL, skill-wise. Questioning his work ethic doesn't compute.

as he only wants to play for Detroit....

I agree with you at that part as I believe Detroit does more for him than he does for Detroit. The players and system in Detroit make him get better numbers than he would elsewhere in the league. We will see the same thing with Sammy this year where he might get 30 points this year in Vancouver. I guess we could say Jiri was the smarter one and is at least running away to a spot where checking might as well be illegal.

Don't be so jaded. There doesn't appear to be anything easy about his decision. Those top-tier Euro leagues are not that far off from the NHL, skill-wise. Questioning his work ethic doesn't compute

The NHL is heads and shoulders above the Euro leagues. Running to Europe is 100% the easy way out. If someone wants to compete in the top hockey league in the World they will do whatever they can to do that. Those are the players you want on your team.

Don't be so jaded. There doesn't appear to be anything easy about his decision. Those top-tier Euro leagues are not that far off from the NHL, skill-wise. Questioning his work ethic doesn't compute.

That might be pushing it too far. They have alot of good talent, but there's a reason the best of those leagues eventually jump to the NHL.

If I had to guess on what Babs would start with I'd presume he'd try to spread out the talent:

Euro-Twins-Homer

Mule-Fil-Cleary

Abby?-Helm-Leino

?-Drapes-Malts

or no EuroTwins...

Mule-Z-Cleary

Fil-Pav-Leino

Abby?-Helm-Homer

?-Drapes-Malts

If I was playing NHL '10 I'd probably funnel the talent a little more.

Euro-Twins-Mule

Leino-Fil-Cleary

Abby?-Helm-Homer

?-Drapes-Malts

I think Pav-Z-Mule in reality would be one of the top two lines in the league 2 months into the regular season.

I think Pav-Z-Mule in reality would be one of the top two lines in the league 2 months into the regular season.

That line would dominate only if Mule got the mean streak back that he lost towards the end of the playoffs. Him getting dirty on the boards and driving the net constantly would open up so much for Dats and Z

The NHL is heads and shoulders above the Euro leagues. Running to Europe is 100% the easy way out. If someone wants to compete in the top hockey league in the World they will do whatever they can to do that. Those are the players you want on your team.

Dozens of quality NHL players flock to the Euro leagues every year, and many veteran talents who chose never to cross the pond dot their rosters, and a lot of NHL guys who played there during their lockout didn't put up nearly the numbers you would think. You operate under a mindset where every person on the planet thinks the NHL is the only place to play elite hockey. That's simply not true. The Swedes, Czechs, Russians and others all have elite tier-one leagues. Why are you passing judgement on brands of hockey you're not even giving a chance? "The easy way out?" Give me a break. Hudler has proved his mettle, and he has ascended to the highest levels of hockey. Whether it's in NA or Europe, it's really not as divisive as you think. They gave him a lot more money. End of story. Spouting s*** about his lack of desire or him not being wanted on your team is inane.

That reason is often money. However, the Russians have really pushed the envelope and changed the way GMs can approach Euro stars.

But look at WHO is going over. Jagr, Fedorov, Zednik. They still have some good play left in them. But they're not the same players they were say 5-10 years ago. So their demand in the NHL is significantly smaller, and their contract offers get smaller, a Russian team steps up and offers them 7-8 million and a chance to once again be the marquee name of the League.

Just because David Beckham and Fredrik Ljungburg signed to play for the MLS, that doesn't mean the league is pushing the English Premiership in terms of talent.

its official... you've become one of my least favorite posters here.

you didn't prove anything and nothing has been finalized.

and the greater majority of your posts reek of immaturity and "hey everyone, look at me" mentality, often regardless of their subject matter.

try humility on for size.

Why?

Because everyone who has every played for the Red Wings is God? I should Idolize Hudler because he has good stats? I am not allowed to dislike someone because he plays for the Wings? I have disliked Hudler ever since he became a Detroit Red Wing, so it's wrong that I (yes in the minority) don't like him still? "look at me!" I have been saying all month that, YES, Hudler is worth a lot more than he can make here in Detroit, BUT if he wants to stay, he knows he'll have to "take less" which seems to be the motto here in Hockeytown. Everyone jumped all over Hossa because he wouldn't play here for almost half of what he is worth, but God forbid I (and a few others) get mad at Hudler because he will not do the same? What makes Hudler any more special than Hossa, or Zetterberg or Lidstrom or Datsyuk or Franzen? They ALLL "took less" to play here, and Hudler refused. So in his world, the good of the one outweighs the good of the many, which is fine, go make all the money you can, I don't blame him for wanting top dollar. He wasn't going to get it here. I just never liked him and am VERY happy that the clucking idiot is gone. (for now)

Not everyone that plays for the Wings is God dude, a lot of people liked Hudler, some didn't. I know a guy that cannot stand Nick Lidstrom, he is no less a fan of the Wings, he just is not a Lidstrom fan. Just because they wear the Wheel, doesn't mean everyone has to like them.

...but for you, "oh, I am so sad! Another mighty Wing has left! Oh, woa is me, how is my life gonna be the same without Hudler on the Wings, oh boo hoo, boo hoo, boo....hoo...hoo"

Good Luck Hudler, even though you should have taken less to stay here, I still think... nahm who am I kidding, I still never liked you and never will!

I know a guy that cannot stand Nick Lidstrom, he is no less a fan of the Wings, he just is not a Lidstrom fan.

What are his reasons behind that? I'm hoping that after you tell me that I'll leave with the feeling that "yeah, that's understandable," but it doesn't seem likely.

I understand if Hudler wants to cash in and secure himself financially. It will be interesting to see what he can do in KHL! Id never judge a person based on accepting a huge bid or not. I think we all would be tempted.

This whole "take less for the wings" is a great thing but maybe not so great if youre not one of the players expecting a contract of 5 million or more.

Obviously its alot easier to take rebates if you can afford them on long term huge contracts.

Edited by Lilja

Well with it sounding like the Wings were offering aroundd $3mil a year for anywhere from 3-5 years I think the Wings put their best offer(s) forward. He is a #7 forward in my mind. He never did well on the top lines it was always when he was on the 3rd line getting 13 minutes a game when he seemed to do his best. His contract is for sure over $2mil a year in Russia. Even tax free that wouldn't make sense to pass up $15mil. See ya Jiri.

You wouldn't want to maximize your career and worth financially? It doesn't always have to be done in the NHL or with the REd Wings. Hudler made the best choice he thought possible for him and his career and his financial future over the next few years. There's nothing wrong with that.

Why?

Because everyone who has every played for the Red Wings is God? I should Idolize Hudler because he has good stats? I am not allowed to dislike someone because he plays for the Wings? I have disliked Hudler ever since he became a Detroit Red Wing, so it's wrong that I (yes in the minority) don't like him still? "look at me!" I have been saying all month that, YES, Hudler is worth a lot more than he can make here in Detroit, BUT if he wants to stay, he knows he'll have to "take less" which seems to be the motto here in Hockeytown. Everyone jumped all over Hossa because he wouldn't play here for almost half of what he is worth, but God forbid I (and a few others) get mad at Hudler because he will not do the same? What makes Hudler any more special than Hossa, or Zetterberg or Lidstrom or Datsyuk or Franzen? They ALLL "took less" to play here, and Hudler refused. So in his world, the good of the one outweighs the good of the many, which is fine, go make all the money you can, I don't blame him for wanting top dollar. He wasn't going to get it here. I just never liked him and am VERY happy that the clucking idiot is gone. (for now)

Not everyone that plays for the Wings is God dude, a lot of people liked Hudler, some didn't. I know a guy that cannot stand Nick Lidstrom, he is no less a fan of the Wings, he just is not a Lidstrom fan. Just because they wear the Wheel, doesn't mean everyone has to like them.

...but for you, "oh, I am so sad! Another mighty Wing has left! Oh, woa is me, how is my life gonna be the same without Hudler on the Wings, oh boo hoo, boo hoo, boo....hoo...hoo"

Good Luck Hudler, even though you should have taken less to stay here, I still think... nahm who am I kidding, I still never liked you and never will!

Why did you never like Hudler? And nobody is saying or implying that everybody that plays for the REd Wings is a god.

I take it you prefer to make 5 dollars at McDonalds vs 10 dollars at Burger King, because well you know McDonalds is #1 burger chain...

Why?

you lost me after "why" ...and i'm not your dude, nor am i a hudler fanatic, or even remotely concerned about any certain players leaving. your comments about me thinking wings players are their own deities is plan ignorance. i'd like you to substantiate where i've made such claims, or even in the least suggested such. please, affirm this accusation.

your delivery often lacks credibility, period. as i said, the posts speak on their own without focusing on what they are discussing and they're not telling a good story. the significant majority of them are posturing, attention-seeking rubbish.

often times less is more. but do try the humility as well.

Well with it sounding like the Wings were offering aroundd $3mil a year for anywhere from 3-5 years I think the Wings put their best offer(s) forward. He is a #7 forward in my mind. He never did well on the top lines it was always when he was on the 3rd line getting 13 minutes a game when he seemed to do his best. His contract is for sure over $2mil a year in Russia. Even tax free that wouldn't make sense to pass up $15mil. See ya Jiri.

When have the Wings ever really just set Hudler up on a top 2 line and let him play? When? Give me an example of at least 40 games length... Otherwise your argument means nothing their is no reasonable sample which to base it on... This was the year for him to move to the top 2 lines... If I were Hudler I would not sign a 5 year deal for 3 mil per, even if he maintains his scoring at around the same level that is kind of a low deal in your prime... I think the wings offered him 2.5 or so per on long term and sub 2 mil for 1 year...

Everyone around here talks about offensive skill not being the end all be all of the NHL, well it is... There is a premium paid for offensive skill tht is not matched for grit or defensive skill... Offensive skill gets paid because there are a million guys that can lace them up and hit or give up the body, but only a handful with the skill set they crave...

Edited by Wingseroo