• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Claude "Turtle" Lemieux retires

Rate this topic

Guest micah
Right. Larionov and Forsberg are fighting on the ice, and Mac was coming over to ask if Lemieux had any Grey Poupon.

Sorry, I haven't fought a real fist-throwing fight since 4th grade, and my hands come flying up if someone comes up to me like that. I usually end up looking stupid, but that's beside the point.

If Claude wasn't ready, it was his own fault. There had been fights and fightlettes already in that game, and everyone knew it was coming.

I agree 100% that Claude should have been on guard and expected trouble. He was stupid for letting himself get jumped. That doesn't change the fact that he was jumped.

He deserved more, the guy was a joke. He was one of the best warriors in the playoffs the games ever seen, but it doesnt change the fact he was an embarrasment to the sport when he was on the ice. I've always hated him, and never wanted to see him have sucess, unfortunately... But lets see some of Claudes greatest hits.

One last turtle for the road Claudia!!

Right. Larionov and Forsberg are fighting on the ice, and Mac was coming over to ask if Lemieux had any Grey Poupon.

Sorry, I haven't fought a real fist-throwing fight since 4th grade, and my hands come flying up if someone comes up to me like that. I usually end up looking stupid, but that's beside the point.

If Claude wasn't ready, it was his own fault. There had been fights and fightlettes already in that game, and everyone knew it was coming.

TOTALLY agree. And there's more! Remember during that faceoff when Mac and Turtle were conversing? Does anybody here think that Mac wasn't suggesting to el s***head that they needed to uh...work things out? There's no doubt in my mind anyway that that is exactly what Mac was suggesting to him or warning him that it was coming.

Meanwhile...Sakic, one of the classiest guys on the ice is retiring. And then there's LePew. Talk about total opposites.

Guest micah
Even if Claude WAS blindsided by Mac he ******* deserved every bit of it.

/discussion

I disagree. Two wrongs don't make a right. Mac should have skated up to him, lightly crosschecked him in the unniversally regognized "we're gonna go" manner, and then pummeled him. That's what I thought at the time anyway. After they fought the 2nd time I think I figured out why Mac cheapshotted Claude, perhaps it was because Mac wasn't certain he'd win. He certainly didn't look all that dominant in that scrap.

Anyway, here's to one of the best and worst players I've had the pleasure of watching. Enjoy retirement, Claude! I feel about you the same way I feel about Chelios. You were a great player (Chelis was better, obviously), you were frequently dirty, you were frequently cowardly, you were too mouthy for your own good, but you did mannage to play very well for a very long time.

I think I would say that he was my most hated player.

But I'm sure he'd take that as a compliment, and as a sign that he was doing his job. Hate him or not, if he played on the Red Wings I imagine that a lot of people would have had different feelings about him. Not many people score more goals in the playoffs than they do in the regular season, but he did a few times.

It was a blindside cheapshot. If he knew he was in a fight, he wouldn't have had his arms at his sides, gloves on. He also would have made some attempt to, you know, not get punched in the face.

Recall McCarty quoted the bible on this one - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Given what Turtle did to Draper start all this and his attitude afterward, I have no problem with any of this. Think of Lemeiux's hit on Draper as Pearl Harbor and Macs pounding of him as Hiroshima. Both cheap and vicious, but who started the dirty play and who ended it?

One small point. McCarty said it wasn't a blindside punch, technically he "cold cocked" him. I can live with that too. Old Claude knew he should have seen this coming and said as much. All in all, if Claude wasn't such an arrogant *******, we would never have had such a fierce rivalry and some of the best hockey ever.

Edited by Stiffy

I disagree. Two wrongs don't make a right. Mac should have skated up to him, lightly crosschecked him in the unniversally regognized "we're gonna go" manner, and then pummeled him. That's what I thought at the time anyway. After they fought the 2nd time I think I figured out why Mac cheapshotted Claude, perhaps it was because Mac wasn't certain he'd win. He certainly didn't look all that dominant in that scrap

maybe they should of just hugged and talked it out instead? mac tried the skate up to him technique all game and claude just skated away. if he didn't know it was coming then he's dumber than i thought, mac would beat him 10 times out of 10 so i really dont know what you're thinking.

I disagree. Two wrongs don't make a right. Mac should have skated up to him, lightly crosschecked him in the unniversally regognized "we're gonna go" manner, and then pummeled him. That's what I thought at the time anyway. After they fought the 2nd time I think I figured out why Mac cheapshotted Claude, perhaps it was because Mac wasn't certain he'd win. He certainly didn't look all that dominant in that scrap.

After what Claude did, he forfeit any right to be warned.

And he saw the first punch coming.

There are very few people that I just don't like, but he's one of them. A helluva player indeed and especially clutch in playoff time, no doubt about it, he was still one of the most dirty and cheapshot guys in the game during his time I think. He had one helluva career and a successful one by plenty standards, but I'm not going to miss him much.

How can anyone say it was unfair? McCarty was talking to Lemieux the faceoff before the brawl. He clearly looked at McCarty when McCarty was on his way to kick Lemieux's ***. Lemieux smashed Drapers face in the boards on purpose a year prior. Draper was out for a LONG time, guess what? Draper later says he did not even recieve an apology from lemieux. VS. ranked Lemieux's play second dirtiest play in sports history, behind none other than Mike Tyson. McCarty even whooped Lemieux in the FAIR rematch that happened a few years later. In case you guys didnt know McCarty and Draper were best friends. It was revenge, McCarty warned Lemieux it was coming, Lemieux saw it coming, yet he turtles.

Edited by cjm502