• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Lidstrom for Norris

Lidstrom for Norris

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

Its official. Juri Hudler has agreed to a 1 year, $2 million contract with Dynamo Moscow of the KHL.

So who do we try and sign to fill the hole?? possibly Alex Tanguay wink.gif
Or do we try and make a trade?

We Are Hockeytown!

#2 wingslionstigers

wingslionstigers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Kotalik.

I'm going to be talking to Steve Yzerman about it in the morning.

#3 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Travis Moen.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#4 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Lidstrom for Norris @ July 8, 2009 - 04:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its official. Juri Hudler has agreed to a 1 year, $2 million contract with Dynamo Moscow of the KHL.

So who do we try and sign to fill the hole?? possibly Alex Tanguay wink.gif
Or do we try and make a trade?

Check the other thread, I am not sure this is official yet.

TSN is reporting the 1 year deal, but everywhere else is reporting long term front loaded contract.

For instance:

MLIVE
The Wings have a long-term offer on the table to Hudler, who earned $1.15 million last season. Svoboda told Holland the Wings' offer was a good one. But it can't come close to matching Dynamo's offer, which is worth significantly more than the $2 million a year TSN is reporting. Plus, it's tax-free and heavily front-loaded.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#5 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:41 AM

Here we go again... TRAVIS MOEN
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#6 Vilmer

Vilmer

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

What an awful off-season.

#7 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

******* a they just keep picking apart the Wings, are we going to do anything to replace them, or are we slowly moving into the mediocrity department?
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#8 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

I think having leino should be a good replacement for huds... replace huds with leino add some sandpaper with moen and our team isnt looking too shabby at all

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#9 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

moen and or kostopolus, leino is huds replacment
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#10 DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

DEVILSWATERBOY

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

I would like to see the Wings try to aquire Heatly, but the price will be to high #$@!^%& Hossa or shoukld I say Assoh ranting.gif

#11 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

The Red Wings really need a goal-scoring, top-six forward now. That isn't happening because most of the quality free agents are gone and the Red Wings have minimal cap space anyways. Losing Hudler is tough for me because it appears Holmstrom isn't capable of playing on the top two lines anymore. That leaves Z, Pavel, Mule, Fil and Cleary and someone else (Leino?) to fill out our scoring lines. Our scoring depth has taken a major hit this summer.

That being said, if Hudler does indeed leave, I want Travis Moen. Stick him on the third line with Helm and let them cause havoc on the ice. We aren't getting a sniper for two million dollars so we may as well become a tougher team to play against.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#12 Zetsthebest

Zetsthebest

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

How about Mike Comrie ??????

#13 Chris L

Chris L

Wings fan in Chicago

• PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

I bet they won't try for much at all. We'll see a lot of Helm, Abby and Leino next year. If anything happens, I bet Kenny Holland will trade for somebody mid-season.

#14 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Chris L @ July 8, 2009 - 12:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet they won't try for much at all. We'll see a lot of Helm, Abby and Leino next year. If anything happens, I bet Kenny Holland will trade for somebody mid-season.

I agree with you for the most part but I still think they put Abby in GR still. Wings have 5 centers already and they will want him getting more playing time in GR. I think they sign a couple low end free agents and save the rest of the deadline. That's still IF Hudler takes the deal. I thought Dats was gone and he came back. I'll wait till Hudler or Kenny say he WILL NOT be back.

#15 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

At less than 2.5 (meaning .500 for the other forward) if Huds leaves the Wings are not replacing him with a top 6 forward unless that forward's name is Ville Leino.

Just not happening, they will add depth to the 3-4th lines and hope Leino is really top 6 ready.

DZ Cleary/Leino
Mule Flip Cleary/Leino

Although I would Rather
DZ Leino/Flip
Mule Helm Cleary/Flip

EDIT:

I guess I should explain a rookie center on my second line huh?

I just love the thought of Helm Mule and Cleary forechecking for 35-40 seconds and then again in another 4 minutes over and over again all night.

That my friend is a line made of forecheckers, with a scoring touch (sans Helm)

Edited by Opie, 08 July 2009 - 11:58 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#16 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

Keep Abdelkader in GR, sign Oulahen for cheap to play on the 4th line and PK and have Meech as the 13th forward. Then,
A. Save the extra cap space, and trade a defenseman for a pick and spend the extra cap space on one of the remaining FAs (although admittedly there won't be many left...)
B. Spend money getting a decent 3rd liner who can ideally hit, play defense, and score a few goals. Keep in mind that the Wings could spend more than 1.5 million, as long as Kenny sticks to his guns and trades a defenseman.
Or none of the above. You could keep Abdelkader in Detroit, and give him decent minutes (3rd line I guess) so that he doesn't stagnate.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#17 Lidstrom for Norris

Lidstrom for Norris

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (NGKEIB @ July 8, 2009 - 01:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep Abdelkader in GR, sign Oulahen for cheap to play on the 4th line and PK and have Meech as the 13th forward. Then,
A. Save the extra cap space, and trade a defenseman for a pick and spend the extra cap space on one of the remaining FAs (although admittedly there won't be many left...)
B. Spend money getting a decent 3rd liner who can ideally hit, play defense, and score a few goals. Keep in mind that the Wings could spend more than 1.5 million, as long as Kenny sticks to his guns and trades a defenseman.
Or none of the above. You could keep Abdelkader in Detroit, and give him decent minutes (3rd line I guess) so that he doesn't stagnate.

Good thinking. Either way Holland has a lot of work to do

We Are Hockeytown!

#18 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

Without Hudler I think we have about $1.77M in capspace. Add at least .650M to that to account for a traded defenseman and we have approximately 2.42 to use for a 12th forward for a lineup of:

Dats Zetterberg Homer
Franzen Filppulla Cleary
Leino Helm Draper
Maltby Abdelkader 2.42M investment

Lids Rafalski
Kronwall Stuart
Ericsson Lilja/Lebda

Meech

Tom Kostopoulos? Travis Moen? Rob Niedermayer? Mike Grier? Mike Comrie?

There are a ton of options for a bottom 6 forward, especially if Holland gets creative. 2.42M is enough to sign someone with decent skill, especially for a three year depreciating value contract.

#19 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

Mats Sundin... $2 mil for 1 year. He doesn't need anymore money, he does need a Cup and why not do it with many of his fellow countrymen that he won a gold medal with?

If not Sundin, then probably Moen. That way Z could take a break from the PK.

#20 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

Why Moen? It is not '07 anymore. Moen is nothing special. Betts is much better PKer, and he could be cheaper too.