Lidstrom for Norris

Who do we try for next?

Rate this topic

How is this Awful?

Hossa - rental player

Kopecky - terrible

Conklin - no future with team

samuelsson - streaky, wanted more money than his worth

Hudler - would be a loss, but would be able to find a suitable replacement via free agency

Trust me, the sky isn't falling.

The wings lose 82 goals, 86 assists in 3 players, a total of 168 points. While gaining no one to make up for them.. Yes the wings have great prospects but i tell you now those prospects arent going to make up for 3 top 6 forwards including a super star forward. Not to mention a proven solid back up goalie. The sky isnt falling but you can't say its for the better.

The only possible postives i see from losing these 3 guys, is if next season is going to be a "re-building" season, by giving prospects much needed time to get expierence in the NHL. I'd be happy if the wings can sign a proven NHLer who has the ability to put up atleast 35 points, with decent defensive play.

It is possible that Lang may not make a full recovery from his injury.

A ton of the names that are being tossed around could be interesting, but they could also be big flops

I think it all comes down to price when it comes to a signing in the off-season.

I'm not afraid of starting the season with some of the youngsters up with team.

I know it's not something we're used to... but I think we better be prepared for it.

Patience is going to key. Kenny can make a bigger splash at the trade-deadline when teams are more desperate to shed salary.

Does it really F'N matter.....Holland is already signing defencmen instead of trying to get the forward situation fixed and he's still going to trade a defencemen...???? Has anyone taken Holland to the ER to check for dementia?!..........

......I'm just sayin'........

Wow it's gotta suck to be you today.

Holland is signing defensemen for GRAND RAPIDS and DEPTH. Not for the NHL roster.

July 8, TSN: The Detroit Red Wings signed veteran defenceman Doug Janik to a one-year, two-way contract on Wednesday, the team announced.

There isn't much left. But I still like Robert Lang on one of the two bottom lines.

A person like Lang is useless on the bottom lines. He's lazy and the bottom lines are supposed to come out and provide some energy for the team. He's a goal scorer and the top lines have enough guys like that.. we should be signing someone who can go out and add a dimension this team doesnt have. Someone whose good on the PK, can chip in offensively, will lay huge hits, fight half decent and is defensively responsible. Sounds an awful lot like Travis Moen

July 8, TSN: The Detroit Red Wings signed veteran defenceman Doug Janik to a one-year, two-way contract on Wednesday, the team announced.

Its still a GR depth move, and will probably serve as a reserve in case we get some injured defensemen.

Anyone else thinks Sundin needs to show the league that last year was just an "off year", and that he still has a few miles left on the odometer?...If I were Holland I'd offer Sundin a 1 year deal for the amount they were planning to give to Hudler...It's not like Sundin is a marquee player in this league at this point in time (nor should he be in desperate need of a big lucrative contract), and if he would like to see his name on the Cup - well Detroit may be his best bet.

1. No

2. Sundin has said repeatedly he won't play in Detroit.

3. The Wings don't need his baggage

4. He'll demand top line time when Detroit doesn't have any to give him.

5. This isn't Mats Sundin of the 2000 timeframe. The 2009 version has lost 2 steps.

Not worth it.

Anyone else thinks Sundin needs to show the league that last year was just an "off year", and that he still has a few miles left on the odometer?...If I were Holland I'd offer Sundin a 1 year deal for the amount they were planning to give to Hudler...It's not like Sundin is a marquee player in this league at this point in time (nor should he be in desperate need of a big lucrative contract), and if he would like to see his name on the Cup - well Detroit may be his best bet.

Sundin seems like another hossa type player. He's a cancer in the playoffs, the leafs made it to the conference finals in 02 against carolina i beleive with Sundin injured, as soon as he came back they lost. I don't like the idea of another end of their career, veteran, used to be good player on detroits roster. We already ahve enough of those for my liking

Mike Grier? Born in Detroit.

ASSETS: Possesses tremendous defensive instincts. Is extremely strong in the corners. Has excellent hockey sense. Is willing to play through pain and a good leader.

FLAWS: Is rather mediocre on offense. Isn't great at beating defenders one-on-one. His gung-ho style of play has led to several injuries.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Checking line right-winger.

What an awful off-season.

Remember when they signed Zetterberg and Franzen during season instead of waiting until now? And please don't tell me you didn't expect people to leave.

Someone mention earlier they'll be losing around 80 goals. It's not like they need to make up for them all. They scored 37 more goals in 08-09 than in 07-08. That mostly has to do with Hossa. Here are some stats and reasons why they may make up for it this year.

Goals in

07-08 08-09

Filppula 19 12 Moved from the 2nd to 3rd line. Very limited powerplay time.

Cleary 20 14 Moved around in the lineup a lot. Had a lot less PP time.

Holmstrom 20 14 Wasn't healthy all season and wasn't with Pav and Z all year.

Franzen 27 34 Became an absolute beast at the end of the 07-08 season.

Datsyuk 31 32 Nothing changed. Potential to put up over 100 points.

Zetterberg 43 31 Spent very little time with Pavel; therefore, drastically reducing production.

So if everyone got back to what they did in 07-08 (expect Pav and Mule) then they will get back 39 of the 80 goals they lost with Hossa, Samuelsson, and Hudler. That will get them past the 252 goal mark they had in 07-08 (The year that they won the cup and the President's Trophy).

But the main thing they need to worry about in the GOALS AGAINST. They gave up 61 more goals in 08-09 than in 07-08. You take 41 of those away and then you get back all of those 80 goals.

Note: This is just a minipulation of stats to try to cool some people down. No need to get too fired up over it. I know it's not likely for Holmstrom to score 20 goals.

Perhaps you missed it last season but he suffured what was likely a career ending injury by severing his Achilles tendon.

No I didn't miss the injury last season. I just hadn't realize that severing the achilles is career ending. I sliced mine up as a child, and it healed fast. I guess it's a worse injury he sustained then I figured. That's too bad.

Remember when they signed Zetterberg and Franzen during season instead of waiting until now? And please don't tell me you didn't expect people to leave.

Someone mention earlier they'll be losing around 80 goals. It's not like they need to make up for them all. They scored 37 more goals in 08-09 than in 07-08. That mostly has to do with Hossa. Here are some stats and reasons why they may make up for it this year.

Goals in

07-08 08-09

Zetterberg 43 31 Spent very little time with Pavel; therefore, drastically reducing production.

So if everyone got back to what they did in 07-08 (expect Pav and Mule) then they will get back 39 of the 80 goals they lost with Hossa, Samuelsson, and Hudler. That will get them past the 252 goal mark they had in 07-08 (The year that they won the cup and the President's Trophy).

But the main thing they need to worry about in the GOALS AGAINST. They gave up 61 more goals in 08-09 than in 07-08. You take 41 of those away and then you get back all of those 80 goals.

Note: This is just a minipulation of stats to try to cool some people down. No need to get too fired up over it. I know it's not likely for Holmstrom to score 20 goals.

Manipulation or not... I like your positivity. :thumbup:

Goals in

07-08 08-09

Manipulation or not... I like your positivity. :thumbup:

He's right on though. This team has enough offense, especially if Cleary and Fil rebound and have better years, and Z too. Get those GA down.

And people who say this was a bad offseason as he said Franzen and Z were part of this offseason. That requires giving up stuff. That's the cap world. Wings will still be good and next summer will have cap space which will be even more key with the cap expected to go down.

When did he say he wouldn't play in Detroit?...Didn't Chelios say something along those lines as well?

He had his chance last year to express interest and instead waited Detroit out while Detroit went elsewhere. That's a sign to me, at least, that he's not interested.

What "baggage" does he exactly bring?

You mean other than what occurred his last year in Toronto? Or how about his constant flaming out in the playoffs?

Sundin isn't a top line player anymore, or at least based off of last years performance he'll need to prove himself; would fit nicely on the 2nd line IMO.

No he'll want to center the line with Datsyuk and Franzen on it. He still wants to be "the guy" and will want to be paid like it.

Would be worth it if he takes what Holland offers/attends camp/gets back to "form"...His stats from the 2007/2008 were 78 points in 74 games on a dismal Leafs...Somehow I don't think from the spring of 2008 'till the Canucks signing in late 2008 his abilities deteriorated as some would think.

Except he's not going to get 20-25 minutes a night in Detroit. That's the point.

Detroit doesn't need a WAYYYY past his prime Sundin taking up cap room and lineup space. There are other, younger, cheaper options.

Guest mindfly

What an awful offseason... it actually looks alot darker than people think, unfortunately...

And with the little capspace available and no quality FA's left...This is the first letdown from Mr.Holland.. I think he got caught off-guard by all this.. for real...

******* s***EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by mindfly