• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lidstrom for Norris

Who do we try for next?

Rate this topic

What an awful offseason... it actually looks alot darker than people think, unfortunately...

And with the little capspace available and no quality FA's left...This is the first letdown from Mr.Holland.. I think he got caught off-guard by all this.. for real...

******* s***EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My god, people ***** about everything here. What exactly did you think would happen? The Wings have hardly any capspace, they can't afford to waste it. Hudler is a damn fine player, but he's replaceable. Samuelsson amd Kopecky are garbage, and Conklin is a back-up goalie. The only loss that really stings is Hossa, and this team did win the cup without him.

If they throw money at fourth liner now, it will give you something more to ***** about when they can't make any moves at the trade deadline.

From what I've seen, ignoring the various cliques and groupies around here who just have to push certain players at all costs, I'd have to say Grier is probably one of the best bets. The guy is a grinder in the way that the old grinders used to be. He's got some scoring ability and plays hard. And, most importantly, he works really hard, game in, game out. And on the Wings, working hard gets you places and makes you a success.

From what I've seen, ignoring the various cliques and groupies around here who just have to push certain players at all costs, I'd have to say Grier is probably one of the best bets. The guy is a grinder in the way that the old grinders used to be. He's got some scoring ability and plays hard. And, most importantly, he works really hard, game in, game out. And on the Wings, working hard gets you places and makes you a success.

Agree...

Grier earned 1.775 million last season. I wouldn't be willing to pay him that, when you could give Blair Betts a raise on the 615k he earned last year, and get a younger and stronger guy who is very solid defensively. Oulahen for around 500k. Then we have room for trade deadline deals.

EDIT - As you can probably tell, I'm not concerned about getting scoring players, which we shouldn't need. It has been pointed out above, but I think that e.g. Filppula's and Cleary's returns to a scoring line etc. should help. If we're solid defensively and sort our PK out, we should be set. Oulahen is a very good defensive forward and Betts is solid (though I'm not sure about his injury situation after the Brashear hit). Oh and sorry, they're not 6'4 Western Canadian farmboys who like to fight. Never mind.

Edited by NGKEIB

call me crazy but id like to see the how the players would react to a reg season that is below DRW standards and by that i mean getting like a 3 or 4 seed i wanna see how they would play in the PO's when they arnt picked as a favorite

The Red Wings really need a goal-scoring, top-six forward now. That isn't happening because most of the quality free agents are gone and the Red Wings have minimal cap space anyways. Losing Hudler is tough for me because it appears Holmstrom isn't capable of playing on the top two lines anymore. That leaves Z, Pavel, Mule, Fil and Cleary and someone else (Leino?) to fill out our scoring lines. Our scoring depth has taken a major hit this summer.

That being said, if Hudler does indeed leave, I want Travis Moen. Stick him on the third line with Helm and let them cause havoc on the ice. We aren't getting a sniper for two million dollars so we may as well become a tougher team to play against.

i have a feeling we're gonna see homer on the top line with dats and z, cause that's the only place he can produce.

the wings are gonna be fine. we're gonna see alot of helm and hopefully abdelkader, and maybe leino will crack the top 6 if he plays up to potential. the only way the wings are getting another good goal scorer or signing a guy like tanguay is if kronwall or stuart are traded away.

Have you guys calling for Afinogenov ever heard of the KHL? This guy brought nothing to the Sabres except scoring, and he stopped doing that. He's worth $900k in the NHL, and probably about $2.5M tax free minus what he'll need to spend on his own difibulator in the KHL.

Kotalik is probably mulling over the overpayment offers that he has gotten from mediocre teams.

Does anyone remember the summer of 2006? We lost 54 goals with the loss of Shanahan and Yzerman (58 if you count Mowers... which is like counting Kopecky) and we added no one. We did fine the next year....

Some remaining options to consider and their salaries from last year:

PJ Axelsson (75-6-24-30) - $1.85M

Stephane Yelle (77-7-11-18) - $750K

Matt Ellis (45-7-5-12) - $475K

Dominic Moore (81-13-32-45) - $900K

Tom Kostopoulos (78-8-14-22) - $900K

Dean McAmmond (62-5-11-16) - $900K

Blair Betts (81-6-4-10) - $615K

Mike Comrie (63-10-17-27) - $4M

Petr Sykora (76-25-21-46) - $2.5M

Brad May (58-1-6-7) - $600K

Rob Niedermayer (79-14-7-21) - $2M

Manny Malhotra (77-11-24-35) - $1.5M

Michael Peca (71-4-18-22) - $1.315M

Brendan Morrison (81-16-15-31) - $2.75M

Scott Nichol (43-4-6-10) - $750K

Mike Grier (62-10-13-23) - $1.775M

Travis Moen (82-7-9-16) - $925K

Dan Hinote (51-1-4-5) - $1M

Taylor Pyatt (69-10-9-19) - $1.575M

It's pretty much down to these guys, minus a few unfavorable former Wings (Williams, Bertuzzi and Calder), possibly unafordables (Tanguay) and some guys that were in and out of the minors. There's also Mike Sillinger....

Of those listed I would be content with most, but most confortable with Moen, Peca, Grier, Betts, Niedermayer, Axelsson or Yelle in a Red Wings uniform next year.

Edited by DSM