• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Chi is SOOO Screwed

Rate this topic

It's like I've said before. The plan for Chicago is simple.

Huet and Crawford will split starts, and ideally Crawford shows enough goods that they can simply trade Huet next summer (or sooner) or waive him if no trade is available. With the solid defense they have outside of Campbell, they can do the same with Campbell. The only concern the Hawks could potentially have when ridding themselves of those two is a netminder to play alongside Crawford if Crawford hasn't shown the ability to be a top end starter.

Send Campbell and Huet out for depth players and picks, and perhaps a cheaper goaltender on Huet's level if they can't sign one via UFA for less than $3.5m. If Crawford blossoms, all they need is a decent backup, which can either be a veteran backup or Niemi.

That solves the problem.

While waiving those guys is a possibility, what if no one takes them on entry waivers? I know they did it to Khabi, but I'm shocked they're willing to throw good players in the minors and expect to maintain a positive culture within the club and locker room. Why would future FA's sign with them knowing that they're more than happy to put a legit NHLer in the minors if he has a year that doesn't meet their expectations.

No NHL player wants to face waivers-- you have no control over where you'll end up and it's probably quite a humbling experience (and not necessarily in a good way).

Why Detroit will remain better than Chicago:

Brent Sopel on $2.3m while Andreas Lilja is on $1.2m

Brian Campbell on $7.1m while Brian Rafalski is on $6m

Cristobal Huet on $5.6m while Chris Osgood is on $1.4m

I could probably name a few more.

That is so very true.

This is not a good comparison. Scott Gomez has won 2 cups and despite some setbacks has had a pretty stellar career. Campbell was never as good as the hype.

And Gomez lit the world on fire last year? There's always a GM out there that's desperate to save his job and will take a chance on a player like Campbell.

Hawks will ditch Sopel in Rockford, so that's $2.5 million right there.

Say they ditch Campbell and replace him with a minimum salary player. That gives them about 3 million each for the big three RFAs. Still not enough of a raise. Add to that the cap going down and the fact that they have more than 3 RFAs and they're still in hot water.

Ditching Campbell and Huet is clearly the idea, but doesn't it strike you as humourous that those two were the Hossa and Maddens of last year's UFA season? In other words, failed attempts to boost a club up that's already boosting itself up through the excellent play of their young players? Tallon- stop ******* around with the chemistry of your club- it's doing great without the help of more FA's.

I'm pretty sure we will keep at least one of the big three free agents, to show how confident I am, then this board can suspend me for a month if they don't.

The Hawks will keep all three, even if it requires waiving Campbell and Huet and sticking them in the minors.

I'm pretty sure we will keep at least one of the big three free agents, to show how confident I am, then this board can suspend me for a month if they don't.

I'll up the ante and wager two months of suspension time that they keep at least 2 of the 3 big RFA's even if the salary caps drops 5-6M. They will trade guys like Versteeg, Byg-F-in ugly guy, Bolland, etc before they lose Keith and Toews. Kane makes the most sense to trade to me - they can cut salary and reload the farm system in one move. The fans won't like it but if trading Kane gets them an elite future goalie or D-man they'll get over it. A lot of teams are envious of Chicago's problems...

Tallon's agenda next off season.................

July 28, 2010

8:00am - Meeting about team salary cap

8:05am - Learn of epic fail

9:00am - Purchase gun

10:00am - Drink 8 Shots of Jack Daniels

10:30am - Put gun barrel in mouth

10:31am - Cock hammer

10:32am - Pull trigger

Guest Shoreline

As eva just said, the Hawks will keep all three (the only possibility of leaving is Keith and that's just about as impossible as the other two barring a horrendous/unpredictable season that could justify not signing him) and would unload anyone else to keep them. People are getting in far too much a frenzy over a non-issue at this point.

I can understand why a good handful of posters here would want Chicago to be in cap hell next season and lose their RFA's but we're talking about the real world here.

Edited by Shoreline

Tallon's agenda next off season.................

July 28, 2010

8:00am - Meeting about team salary cap

8:05am - Learn of epic fail

9:00am - Purchase gun

10:00am - Drink 8 Shots of Jack Daniels

10:30am - Put gun barrel in mouth

10:31am - Cock hammer

10:32am - Pull trigger

10:33am - Realize that the bullet went through his cheek, lament the fact that he can't even kill himself right

I think some other people have mentioned the idea that maybe the Hawks really think they can win the cup this season and then they will try to trade Hossa and his huge contract for some prospects to any team that wants him.

I don't know if Hossa has a no trade clause and who knows how many teams would want him and that huge salary but the Hawks have to do something to make room for the raises that Toews and Kane are going to want.

Guest mindfly

Det is SOOO Screwed

good job Holland!

................You could make a case for that too you know...

Edited by mindfly

Det is SOOO Screwed

good job Holland!

Yeah, it's kind of ironic we're laughing at Chicago's salary cap hell when we spent all year debating Hossa vs. Hudler/Sammy and our own cap hell situation meant we didn't keep any one of those players.

Yeah, it's kind of ironic we're laughing at Chicago's salary cap hell when we spent all year debating Hossa vs. Hudler/Sammy and our own cap hell situation meant we didn't keep any one of those players.

I hardly consider those 2 equal... they will have no more than 2 quality NHL defensemen next year after this mess, we have 6... they will have MAYBE 4 top 6 players locked up, we already have 4 locked up and the supporting cast we have locked up is FAR superior to what they will have left going into 10-11...

Det is SOOO Screwed

good job Holland!

Well lets see the differences:

-the Wings went into cap Purgatory knowing that Hossa was one year done, not 12 years.

-the Hawks also added Kopy not on the cheap.

-the Wings are against the cap this year, so is Chi. Next year Det has 16 m to work with, Chi has how much?

-Detroit Free agents next season:

Maltby

Lidstrom

Homer

Lilja

Meech

Lebda

One player in that list will be retained Lids, maybe Lilja and Homer as well. Either way not going to touch the 16m they have

-Chi free agents next season with about 12 mil left (not including bonuses I believe, nhl numbers is a touch of I think)

Kane

Toews

Madden

Ladd

Burrish

Fraser

Keith

Crawford

Chi has exactly 1 metminder (highly overpriced netminder) and 4 D men and 8 forwards signed going into next season, 3 of those are franchise guys.

Lets say they are dumb and take a discount, that puts the 2 forwards in Dats' pay range, and Keith should get about around 5.

That is about 17 mil for them next season in 3 players, 1 m more than Det has in free room. Get that Chi is going to sign 3 players to the cap space that Det has and det will probably only spend 12 of that, unless they chase another 1 year free agent.

You really don't see the differences, sure Holland hamstrung the Wings against the cap for a year. Here is the difference between Holland and other GMs

Holland lost none of his core group to get Hossa for one year. Tallon risks losing 2 of 3 of his future faces and 2 of 5 of his core players.

You still don't see a difference?

Not only that, but because he forgot to fax his QO's he is further up against the cap after signing Eager, Versteeg, and Barker.

Before we start comparing what Holland has done to what Tallon is doing lets make sure Tallon belongs in the same sentence as Holland unless to say:

Holland's GM skills just took a shat on Tallon's!

Edited by Opie

If Chicago wins the cup this coming year, I dont think many Hawks fans would care about their situation the year after. I am sure the Hawk fans on here will echo my statement.

Chicago went from horrible to Conference finals in 3 or so seasons. They just massively upgraded their team, and IMO are gonna be the favorites out west (depending on how they play with these guys). They may be screwed next year, but it is certainly looking good for them this year.

If Chicago wins the cup this coming year, I dont think many Hawks fans would care about their situation the year after. I am sure the Hawk fans on here will echo my statement.

Chicago went from horrible to Conference finals in 3 or so seasons. They just massively upgraded their team, and IMO are gonna be the favorites out west (depending on how they play with these guys). They may be screwed next year, but it is certainly looking good for them this year.

They better trade Campbell for a stay at home D-man.

Playing 4 guys in the o-zone will suck when it is Huet or Crawford back there.

Making it to the WCF was great, however how many teams make it back the next year. Sure this year two teams did, but that is rare.

Their offense imo, needed no help, Hossa is as much overkill there as he was in Detroit. They need D badly, and as it is now they are probably going to lose Sopel in order to sign Hossa and Kopecky.

One less solid defender.

BTW where are all the people that s*** on the Pens for having the team built by the draft by sucking for years, Chi anyone?

Edited by Opie

Guest mindfly

Here!

Pens

1st overall Crybaby(2005), Flower(2003)

2nd overall Malkin(2004), Staal(2006)

sucking really really bad for 4-6years will make you a contender for sure

Chicago got what..hmm

1st overall Kane (2007)

3rd overall Toews (2006)

Still not as bad as pens

Edited by mindfly

I think you're going to be disappointed by how much Detroit doesn't have to spend next summer.

I am always up for learning new things, care to explain that.

Well lets see the differences:

-the Wings went into cap Purgatory knowing that Hossa was one year done, not 12 years.

-the Hawks also added Kopy not on the cheap.

-the Wings are against the cap this year, so is Chi. Next year Det has 16 m to work with, Chi has how much?

-Detroit Free agents next season:

Maltby

Lidstrom

Homer

Lilja

Meech

Lebda

One player in that list will be retained Lids, maybe Lilja and Homer as well. Either way not going to touch the 16m they have

-Chi free agents next season with about 12 mil left (not including bonuses I believe, nhl numbers is a touch of I think)

Kane

Toews

Madden

Ladd

Burrish

Fraser

Keith

Crawford

Chi has exactly 1 metminder (highly overpriced netminder) and 4 D men and 8 forwards signed going into next season, 3 of those are franchise guys.

Lets say they are dumb and take a discount, that puts the 2 forwards in Dats' pay range, and Keith should get about around 5.

That is about 17 mil for them next season in 3 players, 1 m more than Det has in free room. Get that Chi is going to sign 3 players to the cap space that Det has and det will probably only spend 12 of that, unless they chase another 1 year free agent.

You really don't see the differences, sure Holland hamstrung the Wings against the cap for a year. Here is the difference between Holland and other GMs

Holland lost none of his core group to get Hossa for one year. Tallon risks losing 2 of 3 of his future faces and 2 of 5 of his core players.

You still don't see a difference?

Not only that, but because he forgot to fax his QO's he is further up against the cap after signing Eager, Versteeg, and Barker.

Before we start comparing what Holland has done to what Tallon is doing lets make sure Tallon belongs in the same sentence as Holland unless to say:

Holland's GM skills just took a shat on Tallon's!

couldn't have said it better myself.