• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

TORONTO STAR: Paul Hunter reports Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is now searching for a free agent penalty-killing forward. Two who could be attractive options include Blair Betts or Travis Moen. The Leafs have about $3.3 million in available cap space meaning Burke could still add a player without giving up assets.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Moen played for Burke's Ducks so perhaps that could be a fit.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

There's a lot of other players besides Moen that the Wings could work with. It would be nice to have him, but I don't know if I see a distinct advantage that Moen has over some other free agents. Anyway, Burke will most likely land him. Former players tend to follow him blindly.

#3 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

So, speculation from a third-party source that a team MIGHT sign someone is thread worthy?

There's so many "what do we do", "who do we sign" threads already.

It's getting impossible to read this board.

#4 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Kenny wont wake up?

OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED KENNY!!

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#5 Snazzy

Snazzy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:14 PM

I don't expect the Wings to do any signings until training camp. That's how we got Cleary.
“I do this real moron thing, it's called thinking, and I'm not a very good Amercian because I like to form my own opionions.” -G. Carlin

#6 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (uk_redwing @ July 9, 2009 - 05:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kenny wont wake up?

OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED KENNY!!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#7 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Opie @ July 9, 2009 - 01:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#8 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

Damn you Burke... I want Betts.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#9 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

You see, Burke didn't sign Betts. It's merely speculation that he may be targeting Betts.

#10 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

time to:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#11 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

I have a feeling he'll get Betts, Moen and Niedermayer and have himself a checking line that's on par with the great ones of the Western conference. If he could just get Kaberle gone for a dynamic forward, the Leafs would be in pretty good shape.

#NOMOREKINDL

#12 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

Kessel for Kaberle and the 7th no 9th wait 25 no better yet 290th pick, oh s*** what pick were we trading again, call the deal off!

All seriousness though, this deal will be revisited and from what I hear from fans around here is that Hunwick in arbitration is hampering the Kessel new deal talks. Others say it is the opposite and that Hunwick's number is being put off to let Kessel realize he won't get what he thinks.

I think the benching of him, even though for the better of his hockey career, really pissed him off and he wants OUT!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#13 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Snazzy @ July 9, 2009 - 01:14PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't expect the Wings to do any signings until training camp. That's how we got Cleary.

Cleary's the exception, not the rule.

The Wings will sign somebody if/when its necessary. If the brain trust feels we need someone before camp, they'll get it done. Despite media reports outside of Michigan, there's still a ton of players who would LOVE to play in Wings organization. As fans, we need to realize that we may not see another signing until Abdelkader, Helm, or Leino play themselves off this team, or trade deadline time. On paper, our team is just as good as 2008, better IMHO.

RIP #24

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Opie @ July 9, 2009 - 02:04PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kessel for Kaberle and the 7th no 9th wait 25 no better yet 290th pick, oh s*** what pick were we trading again, call the deal off!

All seriousness though, this deal will be revisited and from what I hear from fans around here is that Hunwick in arbitration is hampering the Kessel new deal talks. Others say it is the opposite and that Hunwick's number is being put off to let Kessel realize he won't get what he thinks.

I think the benching of him, even though for the better of his hockey career, really pissed him off and he wants OUT!

blink.gif sir this is the LGW forum.

laugh.gif

Is Boston still looking to move Kessel for Kaberle?...Whatever became of Wheeler; don't recall seeing him play at all this spring.

Edited by F.Michael, 09 July 2009 - 02:44 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Dominator2005 @ July 9, 2009 - 11:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TORONTO STAR: Paul Hunter reports Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is now searching for a free agent penalty-killing forward. Two who could be attractive options include Blair Betts or Travis Moen. The Leafs have about $3.3 million in available cap space meaning Burke could still add a player without giving up assets.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Moen played for Burke's Ducks so perhaps that could be a fit.

Nooooooooooo! I want Betts or Moen HERE. ranting.gif
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#16 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (stillwater @ July 9, 2009 - 01:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, speculation from a third-party source that a team MIGHT sign someone is thread worthy?

Don't read it...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#17 CAredwingsfan91

CAredwingsfan91

I'm back!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Toronto MAPLE DUCKS
You shook Sinatra's hand, you should know better.

#18 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (stillwater @ July 9, 2009 - 12:10PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That might be an issue concerning IQ. I don't find it difficult to navigate this board. This is a discussion forum... discussions occur. I know. Crazy. Maybe ignore the topics you aren't interested in? Insane notion, but it works for me.

Last thing this board needs is yet another poster who feels like they should dictate what is and what isn't thread worthy.

I'm sure Moen will go play for Burke if given the opportunity. The Wings don't need to do anything hasty. Let the Leafs have him. It won't make or break us either way.

#19 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

Somebody explain to me what makes Travis Moen so special over countless other players available. Not trying to dog Moen, but I just don't get why he's so head and shoulder's above everybody else as he's been mentioned in here about 50 times lately.

#20 skacore

skacore

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ July 9, 2009 - 09:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Somebody explain to me what makes Travis Moen so special over countless other players available. Not trying to dog Moen, but I just don't get why he's so head and shoulder's above everybody else as he's been mentioned in here about 50 times lately.

proven winner.. good size, good defensively, will hit and stand up for team mates, still really young, and a clutch scorer... and he'll come relatively cheap