34 replies to this topic

#21 Probert 5 For Fighting

Probert 5 For Fighting

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (skacore @ July 9, 2009 - 09:50PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
proven winner.. good size, good defensively, will hit and stand up for team mates, still really young, and a clutch scorer... and he'll come relatively cheap

Proven winner is meaningless since that's not an individual stat. Clutch scorer? Must have been some real dandies amongst those 10 goals he's scored total the past two seasons.

I like Moen. He's a young, decent, defensive forward. But too many around here think guys like him will be some sort of Godsend for our franchise. This Wings team has most of its bases covered. They have the grit and checking everybody here is suddenly complaining about. Burkie will do his thing, and Holland will do his.

PS. Moen played 16 minutes a game in a full season two years ago and managed to muster 8 points. 8. f*** me sideways with a lunchbox. How anybody can claim this guy can pick up what Hossa/Hudler/Sammy left behind is mindboggling to me.

#22 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Probert 5 For Fighting @ July 9, 2009 - 11:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Proven winner is meaningless since that's not an individual stat. Clutch scorer? Must have been some real dandies amongst those 10 goals he's scored total the past two seasons.

I like Moen. He's a young, decent, defensive forward. But too many around here think guys like him will be some sort of Godsend for our franchise. This Wings team has most of its bases covered. They have the grit and checking everybody here is suddenly complaining about. Burkie will do his thing, and Holland will do his.

PS. Moen played 16 minutes a game in a full season two years ago and managed to muster 8 points. 8. f*** me sideways with a lunchbox. How anybody can claim this guy can pick up what Hossa/Hudler/Sammy left behind is mindboggling to me.

I dont think anyone is saying moen is going to score that much, it seems like everyone thinks he'll help defensively(meaning the other team scores less) i think its safe to say moen wont replace hossas scoring.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#23 skacore

skacore

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Probert 5 For Fighting @ July 9, 2009 - 11:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Proven winner = stanley cup = experience = knows how to win, something you can never have enough of

Clutch scorer = 7 goals in 21 playoff games opposed to 11 in 82 reg. season games on route to a Stanley Cup... good things happen when you're role players chip in with timely goals

Like you said, he's a "young, decent, defensive forward", he also brings us another element we currently don't have in fisticuffs (I know it's crazy to some but it's still part of the game, even HOLLAND will admit that)

Nobody is looking to fill the void of Hossa/Hudler/Sammy, funny you left out TOMAS KOPECKY because that's the void he'd be filling

we could use a 4th line plugger and Moen will be relatively cheap... no one else brings the complete package like he does ... no one is saying he's a godsend just that he's probably the best suited player available for that role

#24 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (Probert 5 For Fighting @ July 9, 2009 - 10:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off, my lunchbox is in a stable relationship.

Second, nobody is claiming he's going to be the guy to replace the scoring. He's A need is what we're saying. A shutdown 3rd/4th line guy who can match up with the young, energetic grind lines that seem to give us trouble. Strong PK skills. Is he going to eat away at the offense lost, no. But he still fits a need that has to be addressed.

-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#25 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

A guy like moen is young and brings something the wings dont have alot of outside of helm... energy. With alot less scoring possibly this year getting the 3rd or 4th line out there and having someone responsible defensively on the line so we wont need to be worried about getting scored on sounds good to me. Especially if this player can chuck knuckles like moen

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#26 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (skacore @ July 9, 2009 - 10:30PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Proven winner = stanley cup = experience = knows how to win, something you can never have enough of

So why did we lose game 7 at home? We had the same team (with the cup win and experience) from 2008, plus two players (1 who didn't play in the finals) and lost to a team with... what... 5 cups combined? Apparently, we didn't know how to win. And we didn't need more.
*this space for rent*

#27 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (thedisappearer @ July 9, 2009 - 11:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why did we lose game 7 at home? We had the same team (with the cup win and experience) from 2008, plus two players (1 who didn't play in the finals) and lost to a team with... what... 5 cups combined? Apparently, we didn't know how to win. And we didn't need more.

we lost because of alot of things.. complacency, malkin not getting suspended, bad bounces and some injuries. We also had a playoff cancer in hossa instead of our gritty vet who wanted a cup and brought energy. Honestly Hossa only took up ice time i wouldve rather seen helm out there or abby

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#28 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (thedisappearer @ July 9, 2009 - 10:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We didn't have Moen - duh?

rolleyes.gif

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#29 skacore

skacore

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (thedisappearer @ July 9, 2009 - 11:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude just shut up that makes no sense... did I say more cups automatically equals wins? no.. but do you want someone who's never been tested in the playoffs before, or someone who's been there, battled, won, and played above their game? you take the sure bet

#30 Snazzy

Snazzy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

I hope Kenny signs Moen just so LGW posters stop making these stupidf****** threads 30 times a day.
“I do this real moron thing, it's called thinking, and I'm not a very good Amercian because I like to form my own opionions.” -G. Carlin

#31 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Snazzy @ July 9, 2009 - 10:58PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope Kenny signs Moen just so LGW posters stop making these stupidf****** threads 30 times a day.

This +1
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#32 Probert 5 For Fighting

Probert 5 For Fighting

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (RedFX @ July 9, 2009 - 11:34PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, my lunchbox is in a stable relationship.

Second, nobody is claiming he's going to be the guy to replace the scoring. He's A need is what we're saying. A shutdown 3rd/4th line guy who can match up with the young, energetic grind lines that seem to give us trouble. Strong PK skills. Is he going to eat away at the offense lost, no. But he still fits a need that has to be addressed.

I respect that, but people really have to look at this realistically. A guy like Moen really isn't that necessary on our team. Darren Helm and Abdelkader are both excellent checking forwards and at least one of them will be with our big club all season next year - that's plenty of energy right there. Leino should prove to be a capable replacement for Hudler, if nothing else a better skater and worker down along the boards. There's some more energy. Basically, a lot of our needs can be replenished through the system - sans Hossa, who is simply irreplaceable at this point. We can make due, and having a guy like Moen isn't going to change things a whole lot one way or another.

It just seems to be the same old song with Wings fans - whenever the team loses, everybody jumps off the and loses their s*** and calls for more "grit" and a "fighter." Of course, Holland's too smart to waste 12-14 minutes a game on a guy who can't skate or just fights, and we keep winning a lot of games, and the team keeps going. I expect the same result this season.

#33 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Probert 5 For Fighting @ July 10, 2009 - 12:06AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I respect that, but people really have to look at this realistically. A guy like Moen really isn't that necessary on our team. Darren Helm and Abdelkader are both excellent checking forwards and at least one of them will be with our big club all season next year - that's plenty of energy right there. Leino should prove to be a capable replacement for Hudler, if nothing else a better skater and worker down along the boards. There's some more energy. Basically, a lot of our needs can be replenished through the system - sans Hossa, who is simply irreplaceable at this point. We can make due, and having a guy like Moen isn't going to change things a whole lot one way or another.

It just seems to be the same old song with Wings fans - whenever the team loses, everybody jumps off the and loses their s*** and calls for more "grit" and a "fighter." Of course, Holland's too smart to waste 12-14 minutes a game on a guy who can't skate or just fights, and we keep winning a lot of games, and the team keeps going. I expect the same result this season.

Moen isnt a fighter that can't skate, he plays 12-14 minutes, hell I wouldnt even call him a fighter I would call him a gritty, great on the penalty killing forward who is willing to fight but isnt some meat head that goes looking for it all the time. He's exactly what this team needs, PK help and toughness help while playing a regular shift I don't see why people wouldnt wanna sign him

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#34 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:04 AM

Some of you guys really need DRAWING to understand...

MOEN will not replace offensive production that we lost this offseason, but he will HELP our PK unit - remember how our PK was sucking all seasons long + playoff?????

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#35 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (newfy @ July 10, 2009 - 12:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moen isnt a fighter that can't skate, he plays 12-14 minutes, hell I wouldnt even call him a fighter I would call him a gritty, great on the penalty killing forward who is willing to fight but isnt some meat head that goes looking for it all the time. He's exactly what this team needs, PK help and toughness help while playing a regular shift I don't see why people wouldnt wanna sign him

Thanks!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan