• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Scorers and Grinders still available

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
Maxim Afinogenov, Buffalo ($3.5 million) -- He has tremendous speed but has been injury-prone and is not the best finisher (16 goals in his past 104 games). He was grossly overpaid by the Sabres.

P.J. Axelsson, Boston ($1.85 million) -- A defensive-minded winger and penalty-killer who would not provide much offense.

Todd Bertuzzi, Calgary ($1.95 million) -- The one-time premier power forward, briefly a Red Wing, has good hands around the net. But he lacks discipline, is injury-prone and has a questionable work ethic.

Mike Comrie, Ottawa ($4 million) -- A skilled player with offensive abilities. But the Red Wings do not need a second-line center and probably would not get good value for their money with him.

Mathieu Dandenault, Montreal ($1.7 million) -- Moved back and forth from forward to defense during much of his nine seasons in Detroit but played mostly on the blue line for the Canadiens. The Red Wings are better off with a full-time forward.

Mike Grier, San Jose ($1.8 million) -- He is what you want in a third-line winger: big, physical, works hard down low, has good defensive instincts and can chip in some offense.

Viktor Kozlov, Washington ($2.5 million) -- A big, versatile forward (6-4, 232) who does not play physical and has been inconsistent throughout his career. He would be good for some offense, though.

Robert Lang, Montreal ($4 million) -- Return to Detroit to play for coach Mike Babcock? Forget about it.

Manny Malhotra, Columbus ($1.5 million) -- A center with good size (6-2, 217) who skates well, is responsible defensively and kills penalties. He has underachieved offensively throughout his career.

Travis Moen, San Jose ($925,000) -- A good-sized (6-2, 215), solid role player and penalty killer who would provide grit and a physical presence on the fourth line and would not cost much.

Scott Nichol, Nashville ($750,000) -- He's small (5-9, 175) but energetic, works hard, gets involved physically, agitates and is good on the draw.

Rob Niedermayer, Anaheim ($2 million) -- He's a good skater and dependable defensive player with decent size (6-2, 200) and can play center or the wing.

Mike Peca, Columbus ($1.3 million) -- He would not provide much offense, but he's a good open-ice hitter, penalty killer and faceoff man who tends to get hurt a lot because of his aggressive style.

Brendan Shanahan, New Jersey ($800,000) -- He turned down a one-year, $4 million offer from the Red Wings in 2006, thinking the team was in decline. It helped younger players develop with more ice time. It's unlikely he would want to return or, at age 40, the team would want him back.

Mats Sundin, Vancouver ($8.6 million) -- He would not leave Toronto when the Red Wings wanted him at the trade deadline in 2008. Highly unlikely he would come here now at a much-reduced price. And he probably would take half the season to decide.

Petr Sykora, Pittsburgh ($2.5 million) -- He has good speed and a good shot and scored 25 goals during the regular season. But he was a regular scratch in the playoffs, which raises red flags.

Alex Tanguay, Montreal ($5.4 million) -- One of the top offensive players still available, he is out of the Red Wings' price range.

Jason Williams, Columbus ($2.2 million) -- He has offensive skills and can play the point on the power play, but he lacks grit and does not go to the hard areas of the ice -- among the reasons the Red Wings unloaded him two years ago

Have to say not many would fit in the red wings tbh =/

I would say more than a handful of these players have detroit in their top 3 destination list, but it almost seems like Detroit is so picky when it comes to signing players. Thats a good thing in my opinion. Signing for the sake of signing is not what Kenny H does. I applaud him for that.

Nichols and Grier are basically the only ones on there that don't have a huge downside competing with their upside.

I like Grier... he's from Detroit. (He's on my list of "need'em/want'em/get'em")

Nichol is a bit small, but his energy is great.

Their downside is their reckless style of play, which makes them oft injuried.

Edited by e_prime

I can't imaigne why he'd come here, but petr sykora seems like a guy who could replace more than a bit of the goals we've had depart here latley. I'm kinda lost on why he was a healthy scratch during the playoffs, he's clutch as everything. I think with him it's that he doesn't play D,..like at all,...but if paired with the right people I don't think it'd be a huge deal.

I can't imaigne why he'd come here, but petr sykora seems like a guy who could replace more than a bit of the goals we've had depart here latley. I'm kinda lost on why he was a healthy scratch during the playoffs, he's clutch as everything. I think with him it's that he doesn't play D,..like at all,...but if paired with the right people I don't think it'd be a huge deal.

There was a good reason. Inconsistent, play disappeared altogether at times. Not to mention he's been extremely injury prone

a guy left off that list that i feel would be a good fit in detroit, plus made less then a million last year is a grinder like tom kostopoulis from montreal. hes not gonna get alot of points ,even tho he did spend some time on the habs top line last year. but he blocks shots with the best off them hes good defensivley and hes not afraid to drop the gloves. and from what i hear his work ethic off ice is crazy. just my opinion on anther cheap player still available

Man, if there's one thing for sure, it's that every offseason, LGW will fap off to some moderately useful player who may or may not be a threat to score and may or may not turn out to be a defensive liability, because he's soooooo "gritty." Would Travis Moen be a perfectly useful addition to the team? Probably. Would he bring anything that can't be found in at least a dozen other players around the league? Doubtful.

The Wings have 10 forwards that are a sure bet for the team next year, and Kader ought to be the 11th. I see no reason why there shouldn't be a chance for another Griffin to make the team out of camp as a 12th or 13th forward, and if the Wings do sign another forward as seems likely, they're beyond retarded if it's for any longer than a year.

Todd Bertuzzi, Calgary ($1.95 million) -- The one-time premier power forward, briefly a Red Wing, has good hands around the net. But he lacks discipline, is injury-prone and has a questionable work ethic.

Have to say not many would fit in the red wings tbh =/

I was curious about why he hasn't signed with Calgary so I went to a Flames board and found this thread and poll.

Poll results were as follows:

Yes, I love him on the Flames---------------22.00%

Yes, but only if he takes a bottom 6 role----32.00%

No, I want him as far away as possible------46.00%

Should the Flames organization keep the six-foot-three, two hundred and thirty pound winger?

Alot of fans I've talked to or seen posting here on HF have been bashing him quite a lot lately and many seem to want him gone.

Personally, I think it was a blast having Bert on the team this year. Sure he made some poor defensive decisions during the season, but he was still a fun player to watch. If he does come back to the Flames though, I'd like to see him put into a third-line checking role, mentoring some of our younger big body checkers like Nystrom, Moss, Peters, Sutter, Armstrong, Chucko etc., aswell as maybe a bit of powerplay time.

Anyway, what are your guys' thoughts on him returning?

I voted to not renew. I like Bert but just think we can better use that cash and roster space, bring in Moss on the second line for 1.3 cap hit... get younger and faster. Eitehr way I wish Bert all the best

I think that 2 million would be spent better elsewhere. Not that Bert played horrible, but he was lazy and took penalties at bad times.

Gone. He was good value for the money this past season, but he is brutal defensively and takes a lot of stupid penalties. I would take a player who scores less but plays a better all around game over Bert in a heartbeat....another glencross type would be fine.

Also, I just think there are better uses for the cap $. I would prefer to have an increased ability to pursue free agents in the summer.

I'd have to explore our options a bit more before making that decision.

???-Jokinen-Iginla

Bourque-Langkow-Moss

Glencross-Conroy-Boyd

Nystrom-Primeau-???

I'd try to get Lundmark back for starters to fill that bottom line, for either the empty wing or to replace Primeau. We've also got Backlund who we can bring up, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him having top 6 minutes until he's proved himself here. Hopefully Chucko will be resigned soon, I was impressed with how he played this year, and we still have Greentree or Van Der Gulik who can come up, although they'd remain as a last resort. If we can get Cammalleri for the top wing, and Lundmark for the bottom line, I don't think we'd really need Bertuzzi. If Cammalleri doesn't resign, I'd consider it a Plan B

I'd bring him back again unless he gets a Nolan style raise. I would bring him back at $2 mill again. There's still value there and I think his options are limited. I think his value is lowered by the fact alot of teams will want nothing to do with him.

I would only take him back at a pay cut... if he is going to play and produce like Glencross, Moss and Bourque he should be paid like those players

At times he was the most creative player on the ice, and I had no idea he could stickhandle as well as he did. Also he was pretty much the only person to try anything different in the shootout, and more often than not it worked, which is more than can be said for any of our other regular shooters.

On the other hand he takes too many dumb penalties and can be lazy on the backcheck.

I'd say bring him back at no more than his 2 million salary. I doubt he'll have many teams knocking on his door, so we could probably retain him for cheap.

If he wants to stick around for 2mil or less, I think calgary would be RETARDED not to sign him. 2 million is absolutely nothing.

I bet the Flames could get Bert back for less than 2.0. If Bert went for a deal like Conroy then there is no hesitation, yes. If not.... well I would like to see the options first but I want the team to get faster and more responsible defensively.

The guys had 44 pts in 66 games, thats pretty darn good for the price Calgary paid. If its for 2 mil or less, Ill take him on the 3rd line like suggested.

yes but he was useless at end of the year and in the playoff.

base on that I am not sure if he is worth anything...unless the Flames think they need him to get to the playoff.

I would also take him back if he didn't call for a raise. Any more than 2 million is tough since he gives up the puck so much.

Edited by MidMichSteve

There are only one left that I would take a flier on, in this order, depending on price are:

Dan Hinote

Manny Malhotra

Travis Moen

Matt Ellis

Mike Grier

Mark Bell

Ellis re-signed with Buffalo, so unfortunately we have to scratch him off the list.

Mark Bell, I would only want him if he came into camp on a tryout deal and earned a spot, ala Cleary.

Hinote, like his style of play, and it would be nice to see Amy McCarthy in the stands at the Joe, but he's injury prone.

I'd definitely like to see any of Moen, Malhotra, or Grier, maybe two of them if the price is right. I could see Grier taking a hometown discount, as he is a Detroit-area native.

Ellis re-signed with Buffalo, so unfortunately we have to scratch him off the list.

Mark Bell, I would only want him if he came into camp on a tryout deal and earned a spot, ala Cleary.

Hinote, like his style of play, and it would be nice to see Amy McCarthy in the stands at the Joe, but he's injury prone.

I'd definitely like to see any of Moen, Malhotra, or Grier, maybe two of them if the price is right. I could see Grier taking a hometown discount, as he is a Detroit-area native.

I was unaware Ellis re-signed, thank you for the heads up

The thing I like most about Malhotra is his style of play and his faceoff abilities... always nice to have a key faceoff guy who can kill penalties

I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Leino

Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Malhotra-Maltby

The thing I like most about Malhotra is his style of play and his faceoff abilities... always nice to have a key faceoff guy who can kill penalties

I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Leino

Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Malhotra-Maltby

I don't think face off ability should really be a reason for us to sign someone. Its honestly one of the last things we need with Draper, Helm has shown he's quite good and the rest of the wings centerman. I just wish our 4th line could bring a physical presence or some kind of presence at all unlike last year.

I like Malhotra, only problem is he i basically a further along version of Abdelkader... I really dont understand why CBJ has not resigned him, seems like just the right kind of player for an up and coming playoff level team...

Wings need a shooter... The more I think of it Sykora would be that guy... In love with the shot not the player...

If they could work it without a doubt Tanguay would be my first pick of the FA's though... I am starting to wonder if he is one of those guys slipping through the cracks of a tight NHL economy... I think he wants to play for a good team, but really only the bad teams have lots of cash left... I think he might be the one guy in FA that the Wings might move a player to fit in under the cap... I do not think Tanguay is getting 5 mil per again unless its from a bottom feeder...

Looking this over maybe people are starting to realize the value of a 25 yr old player like Hudler on the market vs LGW perceived value?

Why are people still calling for a low end grinder when the Wings need a scorer? I would rather have all AHL callups then guys like Moan... Oulahan can probably supply the defense and 10 pts Moan would get us... Or is it for the 2 fights in 82 games Moan would get in?

Edited by Wingseroo

Guest mindfly

It's sad that Draper and Maltby are still around, if this wasn't the red wings they would have been traded years ago..draper has a caphit of more than a millinon i know a more than a handful players out there that could do a beter jobb for 2-300k less.... sure nice with loyalty and stuff but this isnt school where everyone is equally worth, this is pro hockey and the best players available should always play, not because they are a part of history... i still don't get why they brought mccarty to the team last year either.

Put me in the Grier camp. With Bell as a "maybe".

I'd shy away from Bert. It didn't work last time. I don't see it improving if we try it again.

On the other hand, if memory serves me right, wasn't he usually on a line with Lang and Calder? If that's the case, maybe he might fit in with some new players. Helm centering him and Cleary? That could be a good line. Tough, hitting, scoring. Could be a nice third line.