• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Frozen-Man

NHL asks IIHF, KHL to negate Hudler's KHL Contract

Rate this topic

July 10, TSN: Jiri Hudler remains property of the Detroit Red Wings and therefore the recent contract he signed in the KHL is being contested.

The National Hockey League has approached both the IIHF and KHL, seeking their intervention.

According to the NHL, Hudler is contractually obligated to the Red Wings for next season. Hudler, a restricted free agent filed for salary arbitration, which in the eyes of the league is acknowledgment of his intent to play in the NHL next year.

Szymon Szemberg, Communications Director for the International Ice Hockey Federation tells TSN the IIHF is fully involved in the dispute.

"The IIHF has been informed by the NHL about the Jiri Hudler case. Upon, this the IIHF has informed the Russian Ice Hockey Federation about the NHL's position and the case is under investigation. As this is a transfer to an IIHF member league the player will be needing an International Transfer Card (ITC), approved by the IIHF, to complete the transfer. Only upon the IIHF's signing the ITC, the transfer would be finalized and approved," Szemberg said.

Hudler signed a two-year contract with Dynamo Moscow on July 8.

In other words: The KHL's players become what we would deem "unrestricted free agents" when their contracts expire, while the NHL's players tend to qualify for a "restricted" status if they have not played enough games/years to qualify for unrestricted free agency, and thus the NHL argues that players who are restricted free agents cannot be signed to contracts. This throws the whole concept of "restricted free agency" into question as the IIHF recognizes it. If the IIHf agrees that a "player transfer card" must be filled out, the KHL will probably counter with the suggestion that their players are now all restricted free agents when their contracts end...

And as the IIHF tends to represent European interests first, I would doubt that they can make this stick...or that the KHL would give a damn.

I wonder what exactly this could mean for the Wings and whether they want a guy who wanted to go somewhere else? Probably not much will come of it but is is interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Here is the link

Edited by Frozen-Man

I wonder what exactly this could mean for the Wings and whether they want a guy who wanted to go somewhere else? Probably not much will come of it but is is interesting nonetheless.

Edit: Here is the link

Didnt all this happen last year in nashville during the Radulov case and nothing come of it? Or was he a UFA? Either way, to be honest, i love Hudler, but knowing he is willing to walk away from the wings makes me not want him back. Thats not hte kind of players we pride ourselves in having....thats my opinion atleast

Ok -- here's a recent case of the NHL "sniping" a KHL player under contract:

http://www.russiatoday.com/Top_News/2009-0....html?fullstory

A major row over transfers has erupted between the two biggest ice hockey leagues in the world. The KHL claims the NHL has reneged on an agreement not to poach players.

Canadian Joel Kwiatkowski has agreed to join the Atlanta Thrashers next season despite having already signed a two-year deal to play for SKA St Petersburg.

This is the first such precedent after the International Ice Hockey Federation introduced its new rules concerning player transfers. The move was dubbed “a non-aggression to Northern America pact” as it banned clubs in Europe from signing North American players on contract. In return, the NHL promised not to poach European players under contract.

The KHL says that breaks a gentleman’s agreement between the two leagues.

KHL president Alexander Medvedev says he’ll now call on the International Ice Hockey Federation to act.

This episode is feared to spark a ***-for-tat response from KHL clubs, and will see them snap-up NHL stars, even if they've signed deals to play in North America.

Ironically, the NHL complied and canceled his contract with Atlanta, honoring the "no poaching" agreement -- which was created immediately after the Radulov situation.

Arbitration is not a contract, but it is an 'agreement' to sign a contract, so you are getting onto a slippery slope here.

Ok, this could get interesting....

Edited by egroen

Russians do not give a flying **** about NHL's opinion.

This, there is no movement agreement, a similar thing happened when Radulov went over.

Edited by Opie

this is becoming one big mess!! hopefully this means we can at least get some form of compensation for Huds????

Thats about all i want at this point. Dont really want him back on the team after this whole thing. What kind of compensation could we get? Cash or something? We lost him to the KHL so we couldnt get like draft picks or anything.

Guest mindfly

Who wants a a player that doesnt want to be one this team, probably not motivated or prepared to sacrifice himself for the team - only wants the big money.... not me atleast.

This is interesting. I was under the impression that Huds would be bound by the arbitration decision if and when he came back to the NHL, but I didn't think that going over there would be questioned. At least not by non-Wings fans.

I really don't know how this is going to turn out, but no matter what they do, it will have an effect on things in the future. Is there a precedent for someone electing to go to arbitration and then changing their mind and playing in the SEL, for example?

If they truly were going to let Huds go and have him come back when we have more cap space, which would be in the best interest of both Huds and the team's future after this season, then this really puts a monkey wrench in those plans.

Who wants a a player that doesnt want to be one this team, probably not motivated or prepared to sacrifice himself for the team - only wants the big money.... not me atleast.

Yeah but do you really like anyone on the roster anyways.

That is like me saying man I love the Chicken Pad Thai at Tia's (Local Thai resturaunt) when in fact I love everything on the menu.

You don't want Hudler, but you don't really like any one on the team.

At least that is why I get from your posts.

Depends how you view it -- he did sign for arbitration, with the intention of not wanting to play for another NHL team.

If the KHL is not an option for him, that does not necessarily mean he would half-ass it for Detroit --- as the KHL option would still be there for him within a year or two.

If he did not want to play in Detroit, Holland could trade him (though at a greatly reduced price, of course).

This is interesting. I was under the impression that Huds would be bound by the arbitration decision if and when he came back to the NHL, but I didn't think that going over there would be questioned. At least not by non-Wings fans.

I really don't know how this is going to turn out, but no matter what they do, it will have an effect on things in the future. Is there a precedent for someone electing to go to arbitration and then changing their mind and playing in the SEL, for example?

If they truly were going to let Huds go and have him come back when we have more cap space, which would be in the best interest of both Huds and the team's future after this season, then this really puts a monkey wrench in those plans.

That plan seems far fetched. I dont think they would send him there for 2 years if that were the case since we will have cap space next year. Plus hes not going to improve his game over in the KHL, they dont play physical or play defense, the two aspects of Hudlers game that he lacks in. I thought Hudler loved being here especially after seeing how happy he was when we won the cup last year, but this seems like a move that someone would make if they just do not care whatsoever where they are or what they are doing as long as they are cashing a heavy paycheck. It doesnt sound like a deal that Holland would make. Maybe Burke, but not Holland in my book. If this is the case, how many Wings fans would accept him back? And why would Hudler come back for 2.5-3 million (which is all hes worth in a wings uniform, at most) when hes making 4-5 million in Russia? I sure as hell wouldnt pay him 4-5 million to be a red wing, and i doubt hes going to want to take a paycut to come back to the NHL which is far from his home, and making less money.

The reason Huds is going to Russia is he didn't want to play anywhere else in the NHL, but Det couldn't pay him what he was owed.

Let me reiterate, the man is going to the KHL because the only team in the NHL he wants to play for is DETROIT!

He is going to KHL to help the team and prevent himself from playing elsewhere.

Holland is saying 4 years or 5 years to Jiri's agent letting his agent pick, however at most the cap hit can be what 2 mil a year.

He is way too young to take a contract with the last 3 years being 1 mil, unless it is a 15 year deal and he has not reached that point in his career yet.

He is leaving the NHL because he and the team cannot come to terms, most players in that situation and at his age and skill level take a deal from another NHL team and go there.

Huds is going to the KHL for 2 years with hopes of returning to the Wings. He is not deserting the team!

Edited by Opie

This could get ugly real fast...

yeah this is gonna be interesting. I honestly wish we knew he was gone so we could move on and look elsewhere. Any idea how long this would take to resolve?

Dreger is right on with this part: "Hudler, a restricted free agent filed for salary arbitration, which in the eyes of the league is acknowledgement of his intent to play in the NHL next year."

And that was the part that bugged me the most of this whole situation.

Edited by StevieY9802

this is becoming one big mess!! hopefully this means we can at least get some form of compensation for Huds????

I do not see KHL club paying any money to the Red Wings.

I NHL decides to go through courts I would guess that NHL would win in US court, KHL would win in Russian court and it will amount to nothing.

To get some compensation from KHL there has to be a reason for KHL to pay it (afraid of some sort of retaliation from NHL, disallowed to participate in Vancouver games, etc...). And I just can come up with any real one.

The reason Huds is going to Russia is he didn't want to play anywhere else in the NHL, but Det couldn't pay him what he was owed.

Let me reiterate, the man is going to the KHL because the only team in the NHL he wants to play for is DETROIT!

He is going to KHL to help the team and prevent himself from playing elsewhere.

Holland is saying 4 years or 5 years to Jiri's agent letting his agent pick, however at most the cap hit can be what 2 mil a year.

He is way too young to take a contract with the last 3 years being 1 mil, unless it is a 15 year deal and he has not reached that point in his career yet.

He is leaving the NHL because he and the team cannot come to terms, most players in that situation and at his age and skill level take a deal from another NHL team and go there.

Huds is going to the KHL for 2 years with hopes of returning to the Wings. He is not deserting the team!

Where did you get this info from? Im not saying you are wrong, i just didnt hear anything like this. I dont see him being worth the 4-5 million per year, that the KHL is going to pay him, even if we had the cap space. His one way play and lack of size and physical play makes him a 2.5-maybe 3 million a year (even less to play on a team like the wings). In my Opinion, its not a matter of playing for another team in the NHL or not, its a matter of, "well ill play for Detroit, or ill play somewhere much closer to home", which is the case for alot of the euro players from what i hear. I just dont see him taking the necessary pay cut to come back to the wings in 2 years, when he can play for more money much closer to home. Again, im not saying you are wrong, it just doesnt make alot of sense to me.

That plan seems far fetched. I dont think they would send him there for 2 years if that were the case since we will have cap space next year. Plus hes not going to improve his game over in the KHL, they dont play physical or play defense, the two aspects of Hudlers game that he lacks in. I thought Hudler loved being here especially after seeing how happy he was when we won the cup last year, but this seems like a move that someone would make if they just do not care whatsoever where they are or what they are doing as long as they are cashing a heavy paycheck. It doesnt sound like a deal that Holland would make. Maybe Burke, but not Holland in my book. If this is the case, how many Wings fans would accept him back? And why would Hudler come back for 2.5-3 million (which is all hes worth in a wings uniform, at most) when hes making 4-5 million in Russia? I sure as hell wouldnt pay him 4-5 million to be a red wing, and i doubt hes going to want to take a paycut to come back to the NHL which is far from his home, and making less money.

When I first heard people here say it, I agree that it seemed too cloak-and-dagger. Then I sat down and thought about it.

We can't afford to pay Huds what he is worth this year. What are our options?

1) Let someone else take him and get the picks.

2) Sign him to a cheap one-year contract with the promise of a future pay-off.

3) Sign him long-term to lower the cap hit.

#1 doesn't work because he doesn't want to play elsewhere.

#2 is kind of risky for Huds. If he gets a career-ending injury, he's screwed because he was playing for such a small amount of money.

Hudler is a bit too young for #3.

The KHL deal gives everyone what they want. Huds signs a multi-year deal which is front-loaded and has a clause that lets him out after a year. He gets his money, we don't lose him to another team, and when he comes back, we can pay him what he's worth.

It took some time for me to think it made sense, but now I see where the people who believe it are coming from. I doubt it's true, but I'm not going to say it's not possible either.

When I first heard people here say it, I agree that it seemed too cloak-and-dagger. Then I sat down and thought about it.

We can't afford to pay Huds what he is worth this year. What are our options?

1) Let someone else take him and get the picks.

2) Sign him to a cheap one-year contract with the promise of a future pay-off.

3) Sign him long-term to lower the cap hit.

#1 doesn't work because he doesn't want to play elsewhere.

#2 is kind of risky for Huds. If he gets a career-ending injury, he's screwed because he was playing for such a small amount of money.

Hudler is a bit too young for #3.

The KHL deal gives everyone what they want. Huds signs a multi-year deal which is front-loaded and has a clause that lets him out after a year. He gets his money, we don't lose him to another team, and when he comes back, we can pay him what he's worth.

It took some time for me to think it made sense, but now I see where the people who believe it are coming from. I doubt it's true, but I'm not going to say it's not possible either.

I didnt/dont know all the terms to his KHL contract. If those are the terms, that sounds like it could be a realistic deal, but i still dont see it as an option that someone in the Wings orginzation would take. But i do see where people are coming from now.

Where did you get this info from? Im not saying you are wrong, i just didnt hear anything like this. I dont see him being worth the 4-5 million per year, that the KHL is going to pay him, even if we had the cap space. His one way play and lack of size and physical play makes him a 2.5-maybe 3 million a year (even less to play on a team like the wings). In my Opinion, its not a matter of playing for another team in the NHL or not, its a matter of, "well ill play for Detroit, or ill play somewhere much closer to home", which is the case for alot of the euro players from what i hear. I just dont see him taking the necessary pay cut to come back to the wings in 2 years, when he can play for more money much closer to home. Again, im not saying you are wrong, it just doesnt make alot of sense to me.

The other threads on this have quotes or maybe in this thread where Hudler specifically says he wanted to play for Det only in the NHL.

His agent mentions that KHL offers have always been out there for him.

He even said himself (again quotes are in the threads around here) that this could be a way for him to get better and come back with better skill.

The part you bolded is my assumption of what is going to happen, and it was more to point out that he is not deserting the Wings, just finding another option as option 1a) signing with the Wings looks out of the realm of possibilities.

Look at the FA's this year... As an UFA Hudler I think could have gotten in excess of 4 mil per, that Versteeg kid if he was a UFA would be looking at 5mil+... They pay who can score, you can talk defense and toughness, but they still pay people to score... People around here seem to forget that...

I think he should take or have taken a 1 or 2 year deal for 2.5 to 3 mil per, but I wouldn't sign for 5 years for that as a skilled young offensive minded player...

Its like the Flip vs Huds argument... I think people are right when they say Flip is more important to the Wings, but Hudler has more value on open market. He is the more valued player in a larger hockey sense... Players get patted on the back to play defense or play tough, players get paid to score... Everyone in hockey knows this...

To be honest I think this is the standard response to this type of situation. The NHL wants to make it clear that they will not overlook the KHL's continued attempts to pouch NHL talent that is already signed. Put it this way- if they didn't do this they'd be implicitly approving the behaviour of the KHL in this situation.